Rams C Vitas Hrynkiewicz ready to pronounce himself

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
2019 Los Angeles Rams roster preview: C Vitas Hrynkiewicz ready to pronounce himself

Could the former Penguin crack the 53-man as a rookie undrafted free agent?

By 3k
Vitas_Hrynkiewicz.0.jpg

Youngstown State Penguins C Vitas Hrynkiewicz prepares a snap during practice, Aug. 3, 2018.

It just rolls off the tongue.

Vitas Hrynkiewicz.

You pronounce it the way it looks.

A rookie undrafted free agent (UDFA) out of Youngstown State, Hrynkiewicz has a puncher’s chance at making the roster this year if only because the Los Angeles Rams are both (a) thin along their interior line and (b) incredibly unproven. The eight interior linemen on the 90-man roster have 19 career starts: 18 from RG Austin Blythe and one from OL Aaron Neary.

So unlike nearly every other position group, there’s a window here for a UDFA to show out in training camp and throughout the preseason and make a legitimate case to stick around for the regular season.

Roster Battle
While LG Joseph Noteboom and C Brian Allen will head into camp as the new starters on the line replacing LG Rodger Saffold III and C John Sullivan, the depth behind them is in for a fight.

At center, Hrynkiewicz will have to contend with Jeremiah Kolone and potentially Neary as well for a backup spot. While Neary has been around since 2017 and Kolone since last year, neither made the initial 53-man roster last season. The Rams kept eight offensive linemen last year, so there’s at least some legitimacy for Hrynkiewicz’s candidacy if he can get the best of the battle on the inside.

Expectations
Very low. As a rookie UDFA out of the Football Championship Subdivision, Hrynkiewicz isn’t going into camp with a ton to live up to.

Chances of making the final roster (2/10)
The “problem” here is that the practice squad is built for guys like Hrynkiewicz. With two drafted rookies in the offensive line room and other more seasoned guys like Neary, Kolone and Jamil Demby, Hrynkiewicz is really going to have to ball out to leapfrog his way onto the roster.

I don’t think that’s likely, but I wouldn’t be shocked at all if he picks up one of the ten spots on the practice squad to start his NFL career.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
BTW a shout out to our beloved Ram Brother @BonifayRam thank you for these!

Gotta love a Center named C Vitas Hrynkiewicz from a blue collar city and college like Youngstown State, IDK if any of you have been to the booming metropolis of Youngstown, but it's not for the blessed mother's of the meek.

Anyway I expect 8 offensive linemen to make the squad with really the back up Center being Blythe, although he will be playing RG. if Allen gets dinged, Blythe would slide over to Center and either Jamal Demby (that's right @Merlin ) or either Edwards or Evans would play RG.

The other players in Aaron Neary who I never have liked since I thought he was trampled against the 49ers when he started at Center two years ago and a little whiff of Jeremiah Kolone....I have a feeling that the Rams like Kolone (so do I on a Saturday Night) because they brought him back after being an UDRFA last season. Also what hurts Hrynkiewicz IMO is, he does not have the versatility to play Guard at this point and Neary and Kolone do as both played that position in college with Neary at Eastern Washington and Kolone at San Jose State.

In the end one of those three guys will make the practice squad and I'm betting on Kolone because why would they bring him back if they didn't like something? Neary has proven, he can't play and although Hrynkiewicz might be more of a natural at Center, I'm not sure he's going to get enough reps to prove his worth and he is also smaller then both Kolone & Neary and the Los Angeles Rams already have an undersized starting center in Brian Allen.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
BTW a shout out to our beloved Ram Brother @BonifayRam thank you for these!

Gotta love a Center named C Vitas Hrynkiewicz from a blue collar city and college like Youngstown State, IDK if any of you have been to the booming metropolis of Youngstown, but it's not for the blessed mother's of the meek.

Anyway I expect 8 offensive linemen to make the squad with really the back up Center being Blythe, although he will be playing RG. if Allen gets dinged, Blythe would slide over to Center and either Jamal Demby (that's right @Merlin ) or either Edwards or Evans would play RG.

The other players in Aaron Neary who I never have liked since I thought he was trampled against the 49ers when he started at Center two years ago and a little whiff of Jeremiah Kolone....I have a feeling that the Rams like Kolone (so do I on a Saturday Night) because they brought him back after being an UDRFA last season. Also what hurts Hrynkiewicz IMO is, he does not have the versatility to play Guard at this point and Neary and Kolone do as both played that position in college with Neary at Eastern Washington and Kolone at San Jose State.

In the end one of those three guys will make the practice squad and I'm betting on Kolone because why would they bring him back if they didn't like something? Neary has proven, he can't play and although Hrynkiewicz might be more of a natural at Center, I'm not sure he's going to get enough reps to prove his worth and he is also smaller then both Kolone & Neary and the Los Angeles Rams already have an undersized starting center in Brian Allen.

I have seen VH listed as being 6-3 310lbs in many places whereas the Rams have his listed currently 6-4 300lbs. If Kromer is looking a bit heavy into the future then VH has a opportunity here to land on of possible 2 to 3 PS positions. Your right @ this time VH is a pure center type. We do know he has a well working brain!

Jeremiah Kolone has played primarily LEFT OG in college as a 4 yr starter with some center starts. He did end up play landing a starting OC post all season for Martz for the SD fleet in 2018 after he was cut by late before regular season by the Rams. JK does have some nice size to him being 6-3/316lbs. That size is something I am looking for after the SB event @ center took place. Kolone is known for being a very good pass blocker as an LG for San Jose. Naturally being able to play all three interior posts will help his cause along with that size. But his main issue will be his feet & lateral movement in the Kromer scheme.

Aaron Neary has been around now for a good amount of time since 2017. Neary is one of five Eastern Washington players Snead has here. Kromer must like him after his mowing down trash cans in alley days DUI event. Neary fits the Kromer OZBS perfectly. If Neary who is light under 300lbs @ 6-4 has not gotten a good bit stronger after being here for the 2017/2018 season things will go south for him fast now that competition from the stronger two other centers Jeremiah & Vitas. But still he is a Ram going into the 3rd season......

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Neary who is light under 300lbs...
If things work out like they plan, they are going to have two 300-pounders on the line with Allen and Blythe.

I also noticed that, once again, the article makes it sound like it is set in stone that Allen and Noteboom will be starting.

I know that's the plan but I don't think the coaches are even a hundred percent sure about that until after we run a camp and maybe a couple preseason games.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I know that's the plan but I don't think the coaches are even a hundred percent sure about that until after we run a camp and maybe a couple preseason games.

It would be shocking barring injury if it went another way, now, if Blythe moved to Center because one of the rookies or Demby proves ready at RG, but I expect Noteboom to be not only make an impact this year, but set the stage for left tackle in 2020.

Also FWIW, I thought maybe Allen might struggle, but now I have a feeling, he will be just one of those players after a couple of years all of us will wonder, what we worried about.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Starters are pretty much set except maybe between Gaines and Joseph-Day, and even that one is a technicality, don’t you think?

But for those last few spots at certain positions? Wow!

OL
RB
TE (yes, TE!)
WR
Edge
ILB

These position groups, in particular, should be both interesting and momentous. “Losers” of these battles might find themselves on the practice squad in ‘19 and be possible contributors in ‘20 and beyond. Even a starter or two.

Another thing. From what I’ve been reading it sounds like a few UDFA’s might just make it onto this loaded roster. Do we have a few “Cory Littleton” type gems on board? Wouldn’t that be something?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
It would be shocking barring injury if it went another way, now, if Blythe moved to Center because one of the rookies or Demby proves ready at RG, but I expect Noteboom to be not only make an impact this year, but set the stage for left tackle in 2020.

Also FWIW, I thought maybe Allen might struggle, but now I have a feeling, he will be just one of those players after a couple of years all of us will wonder, what we worried about.
I'm not thinking of Noteboom.
And I'm not really too worried.

I'm thinking if they feel they need more beef on the line and they feel Blythe faded (somewhat) I'm pretty sure they're going to try to avoid that this year.

And as you mention, there are several possibilities where that could happen.

Hell, I hope Blythe and Allen make the Pro Bowl with their All Pro teammates Whitworth, Noteboom and Havenstein.

But I'm pretty sure they were really disappointed in watching our offensive line fade somewhat as the season went on.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame

Yeah, Allen has smaller shoes to fill than Boom, because Sully faded a bit last year anyway. I'd say there's little doubt we're going to miss Saffold (not a knock on Boom at all).

oldnotdead

Legend
Count me among those that feel good about both Noteboom and Allen starting. If the FO and coaching staff already thought that Blythe would make a starting center they would have moved him there with the departure of Sullivan. Center is a much more difficult position to fill compared to RG. That said Blythe has proved that he can play at this level so regardless of whether or not he's starting, his ability to play RG and C should keep him on the roster unless Demby who has been practicing at C gains the coaches confidence. The problem with Blythe and it showed last year is he is shorter, lighter with shorter arms than what you want at OG. They have been playing a center at OG and when I say that I think he might be maxed out physically.

Is Brian Allen the long term answer or just a stop gap? His play will be the answer. I don't see an elite player in him but I see someone that can be "good enough" in McVay's scheme. Allen has the strength, weight and arm length advantage over Blythe and I think that's why he's penciled in at starting center.

If they keep 8 again on the active 53 roster I think they will be Whitworth, Noteboom, Allen, Demby, Havenstein, Evans, Edwards and Blythe. Vitas is going to have to really impress to make the PS this year. Short of injury to one of the aforementioned 8 I don't see him on the final 53 in Sept.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is Brian Allen the long term answer or just a stop gap? His play will be the answer. I don't see an elite player in him but I see someone that can be "good enough" in McVay's scheme. Allen has the strength, weight and arm length advantage over Blythe and I think that's why he's penciled in at starting center.

I suspect they like him a lot. But the truth is - once they started signing multiple players to huge contracts, it was inevitable that a bunch of positions would be filled by mid-round draft picks on their first contracts. The NFL Salary Cap ensures that. Allen looked good in very limited time his rookie season. I expect him to be solid - not an all-pro. Then hopefully he either signs cheaply, or signs elsewhere and gets the Rams a draft pick, with the Rams drafting his replacement in 2020.