Rams-Browns Post Game Media Coverage

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
McLeod's early fumble return for touchdown helps set tone
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_d7d732e7-24be-5d75-8cea-509a6ee083e6.html

On a day of big plays by the Rams’ defense, none was bigger Sunday than Rodney McLeod’s 20-yard fumble return for touchdown early in the contest.

On a first-down play from the Cleveland 19-yard line, Browns quarterback Josh McCown threw a short screen pass to the left for Taylor Gabriel. Cornerback Janoris Jenkins quickly attacked and knocked the ball loose.

McLeod, the Rams’ free safety, scooped it up and returned it 20 yards down the sideline for the first defensive points this season for the Rams, who went on to a 24-6 victory over the Browns at the Edward Jones Dome.

“Actually, it was (McLeod) who alerted me,’’ Jenkins said. “I baited (McCown) a little, but once I saw him turn to make the throw, I was all over it.’’

McLeod added: “It’s a play and a formation we saw on film a lot, something we repped all week in practice. ‘Jenks’ made a great play, knocking the ball free and I was there to capitalize on the opportunity.’’

It was the first NFL touchdown for McLeod, a fourth-year pro.

“Shoot, it’s probably been since high school, for real,’’ McLeod said when asked about his last TD. “It’s a great feeling. It’s a big play, just to set the tone for the game.’’

McLeod’s scoop and score came just 3 minutes, 1 second into the game and was the first of four fumbles forced and recovered by the Rams, who parlayed the turnovers into 17 points.

“If we can start fast like that, it certainly will help us out,’’ middle linebacker James Laurinaitis said. “We talked all week about how we want to score on defense and finally we did. Any time you score on defense, momentum changes. And when you score on defense, there’s a high probability of winning.’’

On the Cleveland possession following the Rams’ early score, defensive end William Hayes knocked the ball away from McCown on a sack and linebacker Akeem Ayers came up with the ball at the Cleveland 25. That set up a 39-yard field goal from Greg Zuerlein that put the Rams on top 10-0 midway through the opening quarter.

The Rams led 10-3 at the half and were up 10-6 when Todd Gurley scored his first NFL touchdown on a 1-yard run late in the third quarter. The home team was up 17-6 early in the final quarter when safeties T.J. McDonald and Mark Barron combined for a vicious hit on a pass play over the middle that forced another turnover and helped set up the game’s final score.

McCown hooked up with speedy Travis Benjamin for a 20-yard gain over the middle. But the ball came free, thanks to a combo hit from McDonald and Barron. The ball caromed toward the line of scrimmage and was recovered by hustling defensive tackle Nick Fairley.

“I got my hand in there (and Mark) put a good lick on him, too,’’ McDonald said after joking with Barron about who gets credit for the forced fumble. “I told him maybe we’d give him an assist, but I think this one’s mine. I guess we’ll just have to wait until we take a look at the film.’’

Gurley capped the ensuing drive with a 16-yard touchdown run to seal the 24-6 victory.

Later in the quarter, Hayes again knocked the ball from McCown on a sack and fellow end Eugene Sims recovered. This time, however, the Rams were unable to move the ball and punted.

“We came in determined to be the difference in the game,’’ McDonald said. “We set a tone early and were able to pretty well control things from there. We got off the field when we needed to and also made some plays to put the offense in position. We feed off them and the offense feeds off us.’’

Playing with a lead, the Rams’ defense was able to keep the pressure on McCown, who threw for a franchise-record 457 yards two weeks earlier against Baltimore. On Sunday, the 13-year pro completed 26 of 32 passes for 270 yards before being removed late with a shoulder injury and possible concussion. He was sacked four times, losing fumbles on two of those, and was hit seven other times.

Playing with the lead is “awesome because it makes the other team’s offense one-dimensional and gives our guys up front a chance to really go after the QB,’’ Laurinaitis said. “And then, on the other end, having a running back like (Gurley), who can drain the clock and shorten the game a little, it really helps a lot.’’

Sunday’s win puts the Rams at 3-3 and provides some expectations for a club scheduled to play just one winning team over the next month.

“I would say next week will be the big test for us,’’ Laurinaitis said, referring to Sunday’s game against the San Francisco 49ers at the Dome. “We can’t ignore the problems we’ve had with putting back-to-back stuff together. We have a division team coming into our place and we have an opportunity to kind of stack some things.

“We’ve talked about it a lot and I’ll be sure to bring it up more, but next week will tell just how mature we are and if this team is any different than in the past.’’

jap

Legend
We gotta rock Kaeperdick's world really hard next weekend.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams' quarterback pressure helped spur win over Browns
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...rterback-pressure-helped-spur-win-over-browns

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Revisiting three things to watch from the St. Louis Rams' 24-6 win against the Cleveland Browns on Sunday:

1. Ruling the red zone: The Rams managed to continue their trend of not allowing opposing offenses to reach the end zone after getting inside their 20-yard line against Cleveland, a checkmark that was instrumental in Sunday's win.

The Browns only managed to venture that close to pay dirt one time but when they did, the Rams shut them down and forced Cleveland to settle for a 25-yard field goal. Not finishing with touchdowns has been par for the course for the Browns, who entered the game just seven-of-19 in touchdown efficiency on red zone trips.

The Rams offense was a different story. After struggling in close, especially goal-to-go situations (they had a touchdown and a field goal on five such situations before Sunday), the Rams did get a touchdown from 1 yard out on a Todd Gurley run. But they still weren't good enough on those trips inside the 20. All told, they managed to score one touchdown and one field goal on three red zone trips. They also had a fumble from tight end Jared Cook on a play that would have taken them inside Cleveland's 20. This is an area that still needs work if the Rams are going to push to contend this year.

2. Getting after McCown: Cleveland quarterback Josh McCown took a beating in this one as the Rams got after him early and often, occasionally with the blitz and plenty of times without it. The Rams finished with four sacks and the unofficial pressbox statistics also them down for seven more quarterback hits.

McCown, who entered the game with six touchdowns and one interception against the blitz, didn't see it as much as the Rams traditionally do though he went 4-of-6 for 29 yards but three of the Rams' four sacks came via the blitz. Perhaps more important, the Rams shut the Browns down on third down, an area that McCown had been especially good this season. The Browns converted just three of 12 third-down tries, allowing the Rams defense to get off the field consistently and that even includes on sequence in which the Rams gave Philadelphia a third-down conversion with consecutive offsides penalties.

3. Staying on the field: This remains a problem which means that once again the Rams were unable to sustain drives on a regular basis and stay on the field. Entering Sunday's game, the Rams averaged 1.35 points, 4.8 plays and 26 yards per possession, all of which ranked last in the NFL.

Well, they didn't do much better against the Browns, especially in the first quarter when they had 3 yards of total offense. The Rams were a paltry one-of-nine on third down and mustered just 16 first downs even on another day when they rushed for more than 100 yards as a team. The time of possession advantage was also clearly in favor of the Browns, who had it for 35 minutes, 33 seconds.

When the Rams do get a positive drive, it's often a quick-strike. Their two touchdown drive Sunday covered a combined 144 yards but took only 11 plays and six minutes, one second.