Rams @ Broncos Preseason Primer- Six Topics: 101ESPN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

Tonight, the St. Louis Rams will face Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos in the Mile High City. It will be the Rams’ third preseason game of the 2013 campaign. The following are six key areas of focus in the aforementioned matchup.

Penalties

When head coach Jeff Fisher was asked what he wanted to see against Denver, the first thing he emphasized was the need to reduce needless pre-snap penalties.

“…Minimize the penalties, those penalties that have nothing to do with the play, the pre-snap penalties and so on,” Fisher said.

In the first two games, St. Louis has registered 15 penalties.

In fact, the mass of penalties accrued led to the team being given a collective “reward” of some bonus conditioning work earlier in the week.

“During the preseason, it’s kind of a reward for being penalized in the game,” Fisher said. “That’s how we kind of emphasize the penalties.”

Obviously, keeping penalties to a minimum is advantageous in the regular season. Sometimes an infraction or two ends up being crucial in determining wins and losses, as we saw a perfect example of in Week 2 last season when Washington was called for a penalty that knocked the Redskins out of field-goal range and essentially sealed a win for St. Louis.

Tackling

Numerous Rams defenders expressed frustration at the unit’s lack of tackling prowess following last week’s duel vs. Green Bay.

Other topics include Brian Quick, running backs & touchdowns -- among others:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/08/24/preseason-primer-week-3-rams-at-broncos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/08/24/pre ... t-broncos/</a>

nighttrain

Legend
Thanks for your thots Shane, i'm stoked that Quick is showing, he can be uber special
train

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
“We’ve got to get the ball in the end zone,” Fisher said. “We’ve got to get used to doing that.”
And THAT is why I said forget the Vanilla stuff these last couple of games, and open up the playbook. I realize we *have to* take some teams by surprise because of how young and relatively inexperienced we are at the skill positions, but at some point you have to (a) get your team used to scoring, and (b) challenge other teams to line up and beat you (which would also breed confidence).

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Great report Shane, im really excited about this week and next weeks games.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Good stuff Shane.

I would just add a few things that I'm looking for some resolution on and in Ogletree's case, reassurance.

Who will be our #6 WR (if we go with six)?

Who will step up in the return game?

Will Ogletree stop thinking and start playing football?

Will we stop playing "cover no one" and start playing some man coverage?

Will we be ready to play some football when the game starts (unlike the first two games)?

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
nighttrain said:
Thanks for your thots Shane, i'm stoked that Quick is showing, he can be uber special
train

You are welcome and I fully agree.

ShaneG

Starter
Tron said:
Great report Shane, im really excited about this week and next weeks games.

Thank you, Tron. Appreciate that greatly.

ShaneG

Starter
albefree69 said:
Good stuff Shane.

I would just add a few things that I'm looking for some resolution on and in Ogletree's case, reassurance.

Who will be our #6 WR (if we go with six)?

Who will step up in the return game?

Will Ogletree stop thinking and start playing football?

Will we stop playing "cover no one" and start playing some man coverage?

Will we be ready to play some football when the game starts (unlike the first two games)?

Thank you my friend.

1) Was strange to see nothing really happen with that sixth spot last night.

2) So far, Cunningham looks like the best KR but they have only used he and Pead, really.

3) Looks like he will :)

4) We will see much more of that when the games get real.

5) Much improved overall