Rams' Brockers lands on "overrated" list/Latsch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' Brockers lands on "overrated" list
By Nate Latsch

http://www.scout.com/nfl/rams/story/1558741-rams-brockers-lands-on-overrated-list

CBS Sports senior NFL columnist Pete Prisco published his lists of the most overrated and underrated players of every NFL team on Thursday. He went with defensive tackle Michael Brockers as the most overrated for the St. Louis Rams.
Prisco labeled his list as players “who are good — not great” and that may be a fair description for the young defensive tackle after his first three seasons with the Rams.

“This 2012 first round pick hasn't lived up to the expectations inside and was clearly outplayed by 2014 rookie Aaron Donald next to him last season,” Prisco wrote of Brockers. Nick Fairley was signed to a one-year contract and could take some playing time away from Brockers.”

Brockers was the Rams’ first-round pick in 2012 at No. 14 overall after they traded back from the sixth overall pick with the Dallas Cowboys.

Three more high profile defensive players were picked between Claiborne at No. 6 and Brockers at No. 14. The Carolina Panthers plucked tackling-machine middle linebacker Luke Kuechly at No. 9, while the Kansas City Chiefs took defensive tackle Dontari Poe at No. 11 and the Philadelphia Eagles selected defensive tackle Fletcher Cox at No. 12.

Brockers, 24, has been a solid player for the Rams but hasn’t come close to matching the potential or production of guys like Kuechly, Poe or Fletcher. The LSU product has started 44 of his 44 career games with the Rams, including every game of the 2013 and 2014 seasons.

He was credited with four sacks as a rookie in 2012 and then 5.5 the following season, but that number decreased to two in 2014 while playing alongside Kendall Langford and then Aaron Donald, a first-round pick who became the NFL’s defensive rookie of the year.

According to the Rams’ coaches’ video tape evaluations of the 2014 season, Brockers finished with 73 total tackles — which ranked behind defensive end William Hayes’ 75, but ahead of Donald’s 72 among the team’s defensive linemen — along with 14 quarterback pressures, two sacks, two quarterback hits and one fumble recovery.

His 14 QB pressures ranked sixth among Rams’ linemen — behind Hayes (39), Robert Quinn (37), Donald (32), Eugene Sims (24) and Langford (15).

Pro Football Focus rated Brockers with a 3.7 grade in run defense, which was the fourth highest among Rams’ defensive linemen, and gave him a -4.7 grade for pass rush. That mark was the third lowest among all St. Louis defensive players.

Overall, Brockers’ 0.4 grade from PFF was tied for 36th best among all defensive tackles and nose tackles for the 2014 season. He ranked 53rd in that same category in 2013 (-7.1 grade) and was tied for 40th in 2012 (-1.5).

Langford was released this offseason — he has since signed with the Indianapolis Colts — but the Rams signed Fairley to a one-year deal to bolster their defensive front. If Fairley is motivated this fall, and he should be on a one-year contract, he could push Brockers for playing time and may even end up taking his starting spot at some point.

Even though the Rams have already picked up the fifth-year option on Brockers’ rookie contract, extending him through the 2015 campaign, this 2014 season already looks like a big one for the big defensive tackle.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Is there an appropriate way of responding to this without getting banned? Because I can't think of one.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Is there an appropriate way of responding to this without getting banned? Because I can't think of one.

You go the -X- route like he did on that other site. Pure genius if you ask me.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
82F5E30E6720E9D1D723664E44F55E51FCBE26EB

Always thought of Brockers as an excellent support player who makes Quinn, Donald, and Long look good. Never heard someone praise Brockers as a playmaker.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
?? Over-Rated!?? As young as he is! and he's just starting to reach his potential!! KMA!!

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brockers is a BEAST! He had a high ankle sprain his first year. He had 6.5 sacks his second year... he had the one sack where he CRUSHED Jay Cutler taken away because the refs said it was "roughing the quarterback" (which it wasn't... it was a great play!). His third year he was asked to be a nose tackle for the sole purpose of taking on double teams and letting Aaron Donald go one on one.

This author is an idiot! I believe Fish and Snead will pay this guy a lot of money to stick around. We'll see.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Seriously, does this writer know a damn thing about football? Brockers job is to occupy blockers!

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Rams' Brockers lands on "overrated" list
By Nate Latsch

http://www.scout.com/nfl/rams/story/1558741-rams-brockers-lands-on-overrated-list

CBS Sports senior NFL columnist Pete Prisco published his lists of the most overrated and underrated players of every NFL team on Thursday. He went with defensive tackle Michael Brockers as the most overrated for the St. Louis Rams.
Prisco labeled his list as players “who are good — not great” and that may be a fair description for the young defensive tackle after his first three seasons with the Rams.

“This 2012 first round pick hasn't lived up to the expectations inside and was clearly outplayed by 2014 rookie Aaron Donald next to him last season,” Prisco wrote of Brockers. Nick Fairley was signed to a one-year contract and could take some playing time away from Brockers.”

Brockers was the Rams’ first-round pick in 2012 at No. 14 overall after they traded back from the sixth overall pick with the Dallas Cowboys.

Three more high profile defensive players were picked between Claiborne at No. 6 and Brockers at No. 14. The Carolina Panthers plucked tackling-machine middle linebacker Luke Kuechly at No. 9, while the Kansas City Chiefs took defensive tackle Dontari Poe at No. 11 and the Philadelphia Eagles selected defensive tackle Fletcher Cox at No. 12.

Brockers, 24, has been a solid player for the Rams but hasn’t come close to matching the potential or production of guys like Kuechly, Poe or Fletcher. The LSU product has started 44 of his 44 career games with the Rams, including every game of the 2013 and 2014 seasons.

He was credited with four sacks as a rookie in 2012 and then 5.5 the following season, but that number decreased to two in 2014 while playing alongside Kendall Langford and then Aaron Donald, a first-round pick who became the NFL’s defensive rookie of the year.

According to the Rams’ coaches’ video tape evaluations of the 2014 season, Brockers finished with 73 total tackles — which ranked behind defensive end William Hayes’ 75, but ahead of Donald’s 72 among the team’s defensive linemen — along with 14 quarterback pressures, two sacks, two quarterback hits and one fumble recovery.

His 14 QB pressures ranked sixth among Rams’ linemen — behind Hayes (39), Robert Quinn (37), Donald (32), Eugene Sims (24) and Langford (15).

Pro Football Focus rated Brockers with a 3.7 grade in run defense, which was the fourth highest among Rams’ defensive linemen, and gave him a -4.7 grade for pass rush. That mark was the third lowest among all St. Louis defensive players.

Overall, Brockers’ 0.4 grade from PFF was tied for 36th best among all defensive tackles and nose tackles for the 2014 season. He ranked 53rd in that same category in 2013 (-7.1 grade) and was tied for 40th in 2012 (-1.5).

Langford was released this offseason — he has since signed with the Indianapolis Colts — but the Rams signed Fairley to a one-year deal to bolster their defensive front. If Fairley is motivated this fall, and he should be on a one-year contract, he could push Brockers for playing time and may even end up taking his starting spot at some point.

Even though the Rams have already picked up the fifth-year option on Brockers’ rookie contract, extending him through the 2015 campaign, this 2014 season already looks like a big one for the big defensive tackle.

Clueless.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Brockers is a BEAST! He had a high ankle sprain his first year. He had 6.5 sacks his second year... he had the one sack where he CRUSHED Jay Cutler taken away because the refs said it was "roughing the quarterback" (which it wasn't... it was a great play!). His third year he was asked to be a nose tackle for the sole purpose of taking on double teams and letting Aaron Donald go one on one.

This author is an idiot! I believe Fish and Snead will pay this guy a lot of money to stick around. We'll see.

Geez, RamDino...

You've really gotta learn that it's unhealthy to hold it back like that, man. Next time, just let it all out. Lol.

Seriously, the author appears to be greatly uninformed about our DL play, doesn't he?

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Brockers is gonna be PURE SCARY this his 3RD season in this NFL. BROCKERS IS A BAD MAN!!! Hope Fairley brings his A+ game if he wants any reps at all. This is the year every team waits for with high drafted Defensive Tackles. It takes seasoning if your not an ALIEN like AARON DONALD with the rarest of speed with more moves than the leagues best can defend. Now unleash this Monster who will be having his BREAKOUT season and be a name everyone will remember and know he came from LSU. Everyone will be asking where he came from. Like an overnight success in a Rock Band thats been plugging away for years. Teams try too hard to stop Donald this year and Brockers will EAT THEM ALIVE!!!. Its gonna be a BEAUTIFULL THING!!! Hope you get to see it. If Chris Long can stay healthy and the rotations work right with G. Williams' schemes getting to QB's early on and Scoot over on the bandwagon for some newbs.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Brockers doesn't play the same position as Donald

Or I should say the responsibility is different

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
So let me get this straight, PFF rates Brockers as average but Penis Prisco says he's overrated?

The only people I've heard singing his praises are Ram fans. I've yet to hear anyone else give him credit for the job he does. The guy is all about team, not putting up gaudy stats to garner headlines and highlights on ESPN.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I always thought overrated meant a guy isn't as good as people think. No one said Brockers was a pro bowler. But he's a valuable asset as a guy who holds the line for the others to get the glory. I would say he's doing exactly what they're asking him to do.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Once again, Prisco showing us why we shouldn't read anything he writes.

I have no problem with Prisco thinking Brockers is overrated because if he has to come up with someone who is the likely candidate? Maybe Janoris? However, comparing Brockers to other Dlinemen shows that Prisco doesn't understand Michaels role in the D.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I really can't understand the overrated part...Who is so high on him that he could even be overrated ??? It also seems to me that it is the job of Fisher and Snead to determine whether a guy is overrated by noticing whether he is doing what he is asked and getting paid to do...My opinion on both of those counts is that they feel good about his play...Stats can certainly be worthless in some areas and this is one of them..Not a big sack guy ??? He is NOT paid to be one...He IS paid to free up Donald and stuff the run game...He does both of those well as far as I am concerned...He'll never show up on a hall of fame ballot and I couldn't care less about that...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

No shit Sherlock. The two are doing different things out there.