Rams boast strong secondary but DB is still a need in 2019 NFL draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/29/nfl-draft-rams-secondary-needs/
Rams boast strong secondary but DB is still a need in 2019 NFL draft
By: Cameron DaSilva
When it comes to star power, there are few secondaries in the NFL that boast more than the Los Angeles Rams’. From Eric Weddle to Aqib Talib, to Marcus Peters and John Johnson III, there’s no shortage of talent in L.A.’s defensive backfield.

The names are easily recognizable, but that doesn’t make the secondary a long-term strength of the roster. In fact, there are major questions about the future of the Rams’ cornerbacks and safeties.

Peters and Talib are both entering the final year of their contracts. The Rams have said they “absolutely” want to extend Peters, but let’s not pretend he was an All-Pro in 2018. Talib could wind up retiring after next season, given his age and contract situation.

At safety, Johnson isn’t going anywhere, but there’s no guarantee Weddle will be back in 2020 despite signing a two-year contract this offseason. He’s 34 years old and although durable, few safeties play this deep into their careers.

Safety isn’t a pressing need for the Rams, but you’d be foolish to think they won’t consider drafting one in the first round. Just look at the players they’re hosting for official top-30 visits: Darnell Savage, Johnathan Abram and Juan Thornhill, among others. Those are all candidates to be selected with the Rams’ first pick, be it at No. 31 or after a trade back into the second round.

The bigger need of the two is at cornerback. If the Rams don’t add one this year or re-sign any of their current corners, they’ll head into 2020 with this depth chart at the position: Nickell Robey-Coleman and Darious Williams. That’s it. No one else is under contract beyond next season.

They’re aware of that and they’ll almost certainly select at least one cornerback in the draft this year, and it wouldn’t be the least bit surprising to see that happen in Round 1. Justin Layne from Michigan State and Rock Ya-Sin out of Temple are two second-tier corners who could be options at No. 31.

Les Snead has said the Rams are freed up to take the best player available in the draft, and outside of quarterback, running back and wide receiver, that player could come at any position – even cornerback.

Depth is important and even if a rookie draft pick at cornerback or safety doesn’t start in 2019, he will most certainly be in the running for a top job two seasons from now. The Rams will likely address both spots in the draft, it just depends how early and often.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Examining the NFC West cornerbacks for the 2019 season
By Daniel Rymer

It’s a tough life for quarterbacks and receivers in the NFC’s Wild, Wild West. In a division that is home to cornerbacks like Patrick Peterson, Aqib Talib, Richard Sherman and more, signal-callers and pass-catchers in the NFC West have to be on top of their game at all times if they want to survive.

Of course, the super talented Rams have arguably the best set of cornerbacks in the division. Nickell Robey-Coleman’s coverage grade of 81.3 led all Rams’ cornerbacks a season ago, followed by Aqib Talib’s mark of 76.9 and then Marcus Peters’ grade of 58.1.

As the Rams’ nickel corner, Robey-Coleman allowed just 0.71 yards per cover snap in the slot, ranking third among 50 qualifying slot cornerbacks in the NFL. Aqib Talib, who has been a nightmare for quarterbacks for a long time, allowed a passer rating of just 81.8 last season, ranking 31st out of 131 qualifying cornerbacks.

Marcus Peters’ tendency to be overly aggressive led to him having some awful games, which caused his overall grade to equal out to only 58.1 last season, but he did finish the second half of the season on a good note; from weeks 10 to 17, Peters’ overall grade of 76.4 ranked 13th out of 115 qualifying corners.

To read the complete article :
https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...jaff&cjevent=5ce07d1e52e911e9817001610a1c0e10

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My take is The Rams would do well to take a top CB.
I’m huge on trading back unless they think there is an all pro type or can’t miss type.

Hopefully Snead can work his magic .

Just looking at The Rams DB’s & veteran leadership. This is the way McVay likes to build within . Last season with Noteboom learning from the veterans. Great experience
and keeps a player hungry.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Someone posted an article bearing out how important having a very good defensive backfield is to NFL defenses now.

Wade had great DBs in Denver. I imagine he’d love to replicate that.

If the PFF grades are from all year then Peters second half grade is likely higher

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My take is The Rams would do well to take a top CB.
I’m huge on trading back unless they think there is an all pro type or can’t miss type.

Hopefully Snead can work his magic .

Just looking at The Rams DB’s & veteran leadership. This is the way McVay likes to build within . Last season with Noteboom learning from the veterans. Great experience
and keeps a player hungry.
I would look for a trade back if a trade can be made to secure a 2nd & a 3rd selections IF offered. That 5th yr option attached to those first round selections may be what some other teams will be looking for especially if they are targeting a QB. The Pats may be looking for a TE with their first pick so maybe we will not be in contention with them.

I do believe that a good sized boundary corner would have a much higher priority than safety IMO. I have not seen too much activity of private workouts with corners though. Snead has loaded Wade with numerous Nickle & Dime sized corners. Snead needs to redirect his focus away from that.

Sure appears that Snead is looking @ numerous safety prospects with all these private visits...in an attempt to give Wade a young versatile safety to work in with well seasoned veteran Eric Weddle & JJIII. Rams do have some young vetran help with both Christian & Countess entering their 4th season as Rams. Neither of them have much talent in one on one coverage skills.Wade might also desire to put 3 safeties on the field more with defensive snaps with the 2 corners.

Last edited:

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Not looking for a first year starter .

So exploring a reapmcement for Talib or Peters seems likes A good idea . You can never have enough good corners, they are very valuable and expensive

Use the draft to build future talent, free agency to find starters .

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I mean just take the BPA who drops. There's always at least one who goes much later than expected. Take that dude, provided of course he's not a high risk/jackass/lazy F type. If it's an OL, S, CB, ILB, Edge, whatever, just take it. Only way I would not take BPA is if it's a 3T or QB, in which case you take the trade down.

And if they want to move up I'm ok with that too, but I do prefer they try to hold onto picks. But just get someone who is going to be a perennial pro bowler and add him to what is already a fine roster. Then try to find some future starters in round 3, etc.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Deandre Baker sure would look nice on our depth chart. :D
I see you have a Dog in this hunt.:wabbit:;) I would prefer a taller longer larger corner, but this Bulldog can hunt!

Baker has played with the best that NCAA football can throw @ him ....resulting in many good outcomes. Not sure that there is a more experienced corner in big games out there who has shined.(y) I would be very happy with Baker as our #1 selection.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Even though they signed Matthews and Weddle, I still have to think they will pick the best available inside linebacker, cornerback or offensive lineman at 31.

Unlike the Fisher years where they would take a Brian Quick at number 33, these guys have been predictably solid in their picks making a lot of sense.

My preference would be an O lineman overall but that's very typical for my history. :D

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we desperately need another defensive lineman, to make up for Suh's 90% of the snaps. You can find talented o-lineman in the later rounds, especially when all the Rams need are backups at this point.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we desperately need another defensive lineman, to make up for Suh's 90% of the snaps. You can find talented o-lineman in the later rounds, especially when all the Rams need are backups at this point.

The Rams need someone who can start if there is an injury. They also will likely lose Whit after this season, with Noteboom moving to LT, and Blythe is a free agent, so potentially they will need two new starters at guard then. I would rather the plan not be find someone in the later rounds. Meanwhile, they can have JFM start opposite AD, with Fox backing him, Brockers in the middle, with Sebastian Joseph-Day backing him AND take a mid round guy to develop in this deep draft. An injury on the DL this season wouldn't be as devastating as an OL injury this year, and the Rams aren't as close to having multiple holes on the DL as they are for the OL. That being said, if a great talent falls to them - of course they should take him.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would look for a trade back if a trade can be made to secure a 2nd & a 3rd selections IF offered. That 5th yr option attached to those first round selections may be what some other teams will be looking for especially if they are targeting a QB. The Pats may be looking for a TE with their first pick so maybe we will not be in contention with them.

I do believe that a good sized boundary corner would have a much higher priority than safety IMO. I have not seen too much activity of private workouts with corners though. Snead has loaded Wade with numerous Nickle & Dime sized corners. Snead needs to redirect his focus away from that.

Sure appears that Snead is looking @ numerous safety prospects with all these private visits...in an attempt to give Wade a young versatile safety to work in with well seasoned veteran Eric Weddle & JJIII. Rams do have some young vetran help with both Christian & Countess entering their 4th season as Rams. Neither of them have much talent in one on one coverage skills.Wade might also desire to put 3 safeties on the field more with defensive snaps with the 2 corners.

Good points. NE might take the TE from SDSU in the 2nd rd. Niners like him as well maybe in the 3rd.

I can’t see The Rams taking a Safety that early. I look at the salary cap at position as well. Weddle,Johnson, & Robey Coleman are tied up for 2 years as well.Christian really turned heads in training camp. I think he keeps improving as well. IMO - no value unless they think one of them is an all pro type. Earl Thomas,Totupelo types.

Weddle sure seems as fired up as ever though, & not a big salary hit.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

I thought the 5th year option only applied to QBs in the first round or anyone taken in the top half of the first round. Am I mistaken?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought the 5th year option only applied to QBs in the first round or anyone taken in the top half of the first round. Am I mistaken?

Yes. All first rounders have a 5th year option. Picks #10 and above option is the same dollar figure as a transition tag - the average of the top ten salaries at their position. #11-32 the option is the average at their position of salaries #3-#25. So there is a huge advantage to picking #11 instead of #10. QB options are of course more expensive, but even a long snapper would be eligible (though the GM would have to be a moron to draft a long snapper in the first)

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yes. All first rounders have a 5th year option. Picks #10 and above option is the same dollar figure as a transition tag - the average of the top ten salaries at their position. #11-32 the option is the average at their position of salaries #3-#25. So there is a huge advantage to picking #11 instead of #10. QB options are of course more expensive, but even a long snapper would be eligible (though the GM would have to be a moron to draft a long snapper in the first)

YOU SHUT YOUR DIRTY ***** MOUTH, YOU!!! JAKE MCQUAIDE IS WORTH 3 #1 PICKS!!!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I see you have a Dog in this hunt.:wabbit:;) I would prefer a taller longer larger corner, but this Bulldog can hunt!

With this new rule change on PI teams are going to be fishing on key plays and praying there's enough holding and tugging to get a call. So IMO the natural stickiness some DBs have is going to be more coveted. Baker's one of those guys, he can just cling on dudes without all the grabbing and pulling.