Rams Begin Off Season Conditioning Today

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Johnny Hekker ‏@JHekker

First day of lifting and conditioning with the boys!!! Feeling like the first day of school! I get to see all my friends again!!!!!

paceram

Pro Bowler
Johnny Hekker ‏@JHekker

First day of lifting and conditioning with the boys!!! Feeling like the first day of school! I get to see all my friends again!!!!!

I hope all the Rams players have Hekker's attitude this season!

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
St. Louis Rams ‏@STLouisRams
The boys are back in town. #Rams

CDCmpSsVEAEa0rn.jpg

CDCmpRyVAAErc1Z.jpg

CDCmpRtVEAA5lqE.jpg

CDCmpRxVIAAyJKn.jpg

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
2nd photo I see standing ORT Reynolds & then ORG Travis Bond next to him. Kenny Britt sitting on the cart. TE Lance Kendricks against the wall kneeling on the blue pad. 3rd photo I can make out Nick Foles, Robinson & Jared Cook.

RamBill

Legend
What to watch as Rams open offseason program
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/17744/what-to-watch-as-rams-open-offseason-program

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams will officially begin their offseason program today, the first day they were able to according to NFL rules.

Since the Rams didn't go through a coaching change in the offseason, they had to wait until Monday while teams with new coaches already have begun the process. Here in St. Louis, it's on to what figures to be a pivotal fourth year with the Rams for coach Jeff Fisher and Co.

While Fisher, general manager Les Snead and the rest of the coaching and personnel staffs finish up their final homework for the NFL draft, the players can now report to work at Rams Park, go through workouts and begin diving into playbooks.

According to league rules, Monday's beginning of the program is part of phase one. Phase one allows for strength and conditioning work and rehabilitation. After two weeks, teams can transition into phase two, when they can begin on-field workouts with players but with no contact or any sort of offense-vs.-defense drills. Phase three comes later in the form of organized team activities. Each team gets 10 of those and the Rams wrap up in mid-June.

All of the above activities are voluntary and though most teams have a mandatory minicamp, the Rams are the lone team that chooses not to. In a general sense, part of the reason for eschewing the mandatory minicamp is that it's something of a carrot for players to attend the voluntary portions of the offseason. Under Fisher, the Rams regularly have had near-perfect attendance for the offseason program.

With all of the details out of the way, here's a few things we'll be monitoring as the offseason program begins:

Finding Foles: Newly acquired quarterback Nick Foles technically has been with the Rams since the early March trade with the Eagles, but league rules have prevented him from getting a chance to really dive into his new system. Now that the offseason program is here, Foles finally can dive into what offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti has for him. In fact, the entire offense can get an up-close look at whatever tweaks Cignetti has in mind. For Foles, it's an important opportunity not only to get deep into his playbook but to begin building rapport with his new receivers. It's a safe bet that Foles will be very attentive in this offseason program.

On the recovery: The Rams don't have a lot of players on their roster coming off serious injury, but they have enough guys still working their way back that the offseason program actually has been going on for awhile in their worlds. Rehab for a guy like receiver Brian Quick has been an ongoing process, and Fisher indicated in March that while Quick is progressing, he still didn't want to put a timetable on his return. Tackle Greg Robinson is coming off a foot issue and still is working his way back. Fisher said in February that Robinson should be able to bounce back just fine. Aside from that duo, the Rams seem to be mostly in good shape in the bigger health picture.

Man in the middle: The start of the offseason program won't offer many clues on who will ultimately be the team's starting center, but it is an important time for the three players currently on the roster who figure to be competing for the job. Barrett Jones never has been able to make it to a season healthy and has been in need of additional strength since arriving in the league. Some of his most important work will come in the weight room. Demetrius Rhaney is returning from an injury and also could use some added bulk in his pursuit of the job. Tim Barnes also is back in the mix. Of course, the dynamics of the position could change through the draft but it seems a good bet at the moment that one of these three will get a chance to win the job.

Psycho_X

Legend
Geez, I didn't know Robinson had a foot issue he was working on. That's almost as bad as hearing he has a knee issue. Foot issues could linger and cause problems for years especially for a big guy. I hope it's not serious and he's fine by training camp. This just makes me even more worried about our lack of o-line currently on the roster.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder if Fisher is contemplating changing things up and having a mini-camp.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Geez, I didn't know Robinson had a foot issue he was working on. That's almost as bad as hearing he has a knee issue. Foot issues could linger and cause problems for years especially for a big guy. I hope it's not serious and he's fine by training camp. This just makes me even more worried about our lack of o-line currently on the roster.

Pretty sure it was a toe... part of the foot, but not as serious as it may have sounded.

RamBill

Legend
Rams gather for start of strength, conditioning work
AP

APR 20, 2015 10:38p ET

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...or-start-of-strength-conditioning-work-042015

ST. LOUIS -- The start of offseason workouts gives St. Louis Rams players their first real opportunity to collectively get over the Sam Bradford trade. And to get to know Nick Foles.

The Rams, in search of their first winning season since 2003, also are breaking in a new offensive coordinator. The defense returns virtually intact.

Players gathered Monday for strength and conditioning with no field work. Tight end Jared Cook said it was like "the first day of school."

"You come in with a fresh new outfit, fresh new shoes. Spider-Man lunch box, you're showing off your new stuff," Cook joked. "Naw, it's just guys getting acclimated again."

It's anticipated the playbook won't change dramatically under Frank Cignetti, who had been the quarterbacks coach before Brian Schottenheimer left for the coordinator job at Georgia.

Cignetti's familiarity with the roster figures to be a plus. Cook said 80 percent of the playbook is in but wouldn't give up any secrets.

"If we would have gotten a totally new offensive coordinator, there ain't no telling what changes he would have brought that would have confused everybody," Cook said. "The coaches have been working diligently to get this stuff in, so now is our time to learn. No, you can't have a preview."

Generally speaking, he wouldn't characterize the scheme as simplified, either.

"You're here to do your job, so do your job," Cook said. "No matter what you have to do to learn it, you learn it."

Many players were taken aback by the Bradford trade to Philadelphia in February. Coach Jeff Fisher had said several times that Bradford was his quarterback, but an agreement on a restructured deal could not be reached.

"Sam's a good friend of mine, so whenever you lose friends on the team, there's that aspect of it where you're still human," middle linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "You miss your friends. I was friends with Jake Long, friends with Chris Wells.

"Heck, one of my closest friends being here was Josh Hull and he ain't here anymore, either."

Now, they're getting acquainted with Foles.

"Just kind of a fan of the way he plays the game, how he's picked up the offense," Cook said. "I just admire the way he slings the ball around."

Added Laurinaitis: "I would like to have a QB for all 16 games, no matter who it is."

There's little turnover on defense. Tackle Nick Fairley gives the line five former first-round picks and Akeem Ayers adds depth at linebacker. Ayers had four sacks and an interception in nine games with New England, and Fairley, who slumped last year, combined for 11 1-2 sacks in 2012 and '13.

"It's very rare, and it's exciting," Laurinaitis said. "When you have five first-round D-linemen, it makes your short yardage a lot better, your goal line a lot better."

Players aren't wasting time fretting over the possibility of a franchise move back to Los Angeles after this season, either.

"Look, everybody can sit here and talk about it but the truth is it's out of everybody's hands except for one guy or a couple of guys on the other party," Cook said. "All this stadium talk on both ends, it all sounds good, but really what can you do about it?"

When he was a boy, Laurinatis was taught not to worry about something that's out of your control.

"There's a lot of things in life I can worry about that I can control," Laurinaitis said. "I can't control whether we go, whether we stay. All I know is for this season we'll be playing in St. Louis and there will be big expectations."

RamBill

Legend
Rams' journey for 2015 begins with start of offseason program
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_85fa71cd-c2bd-5fe4-ad2c-1cbaa8cf1c33.html

For tight end Jared Cook, Monday at Rams Park was like the first day of school.

“You come in with a fresh new outfit, fresh new shoes, a new backpack,” Cook said, laughing. “You got a Spiderman lunchbox. You’re showing off your new stuff. No, it’s just guys being acclimated again.”

The Rams began their offseason conditioning program Monday, and although the start of training camp generally is considered the start of the season, that’s not really the case, according to veteran linebacker James Laurinaitis.

As far as he’s concerned, it starts right here, right now at Rams Park.

“This journey starts today,” Laurinaitis said. “It doesn’t start in the fall. I think it’s easier to kind of preach that now that these guys have experience.

“Because when you’re a rookie and you’re in here for the first time in OTAs and stuff, it’s hard to get them to understand that this long marathon towards the Super Bowl starts in OTAs. These teams just don’t become great through training camp.”

With that in mind, nearly every Rams player under contract was on hand Monday for the beginning of the offseason program, workouts that are technically voluntary. The group included four players who signed contracts Monday, accepting one-year tenders as either restricted or exclusive rights free agents.

The restricted free agents who signed were safety Rodney McLeod, tight end/fullback Cory Harkey and quarterback Austin Davis. Restricted free agents have three years experience. Signing as an exclusive rights free agent (fewer than three years) was offensive guard Brandon Washington.

For the first two weeks of the offseason program, players can engage in classroom work, weight training, and conditioning drills. After that, Rams players start to ramp up the on-field work, culminating with 10 spring practices known as organized team activities (OTAs) in June.

“It’s an exciting feeling,” Cook said. “It’s good to have the whole squad back together. Everybody working; everybody under one roof. We’re family again.”

There’s a new feel on offense: Sam Bradford is out and Nick Foles in as starting quarterback; Frank Cignetti is the new offensive coordinator; and Chris Weinke is the new QBs coach.

Cook said he was surprised when Bradford was traded to Philadelphia.

“I think a lot of people were,” he said. “But we wished Sam the best. I even texted him and told him that. He understands it’s a business and that’s how things work.”

Cook said he also texted former Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer to wish him well in his new job as OC at the University of Georgia.

“But we’re really excited about Cig,” Cook said, referring to Cignetti. “We all love Cig. He’s a great guy, so we’re excited about the opportunities he’s gonna bring on the offense, the different style of offense that he’s gonna be able to (employ).”

Cook said Cignetti is a high-energy coach who communicates well with players, accepts input from them and manages personalities well. He said the fact that the Rams hired in-house will make it a much smoother transition.

Cook said he has gotten a sneak peek at the tweaked offense but wasn’t in a sharing mood Monday as far as describing any changes.

“I’m not gonna tell you guys,” he said. “Eighty percent of the stuff is already in. The coaches have been working diligently, working hard to get the stuff in. So now this week and through OTAs, it’s our time to learn.”

On defense, the Rams have added a pair of new faces in tackle Nick Fairley and linebacker Akeem Ayers, but otherwise almost every player on the two-deep from 2014 returns on that side of the ball.

In addition, the Rams have their defensive coordinator (Gregg Williams) returning for a second season, marking the first time since Ken Flajole in 2009-11 (under head coach Steve Spagnuolo) that a defensive coordinator has stayed for at least back-to-back seasons.

“We all have a better feel for each other,” Laurinaitis said. “It’ll be nice to have the same language, the same expectations, for two years in a row.”

As for having so many returning players on defense, Laurinaitis praised the front office and coaching staff for the rare continuity.

“They’ve set this thing up well with the way they’ve gone about it,” Laurinaitis said. “We have a lot of young players that’ll be in their third (or fourth) year. ... It’s about that time for us.

“It’s not a young team any more. It might be young still by age, but there’s a lot of experience out there, a lot of guys that have played a lot of minutes. And so the expectations are going to be extremely high and I think we have a lot of guys holding each other accountable more.”

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
I love summer, we pack up the motor home and go camping a couple of times every year. We look forward to hanging out at the pool and planting a nice garden. We hang out at the beach. We look forward to our kids and grand kids devastating I mean visiting our home over the 4th of July...yeah summer is great. But I wish it were September right now. I haven't been this excited to watch the Rams take the field since Bradford's second season. I can't wait to see if Foles will fit in with the Rams and I'm looking forward to a number 1 defense. A stingy take the ball away D. Yeah I love summer but this season can't start soon enough for me. GO RAMS!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
2nd photo I see standing ORT Reynolds & then ORG Travis Bond next to him. Kenny Britt sitting on the cart. TE Lance Kendricks against the wall kneeling on the blue pad. 3rd photo I can make out Nick Foles, Robinson & Jared Cook.

The dude on the pad doesn't look like Kendricks to me... Looks like a staff member.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
The dude on the pad doesn't look like Kendricks to me... Looks like a staff member.
Yeah cannot be Kendricks. Also I don't think those are Bond or OT Reynolds only because of how the look compared to Bailey; maybe Bailey is bulking up to solve our Oline issue. Quick is there also.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Added Laurinaitis: "I would like to have a QB for all 16 games, no matter who it is."

Ouch.