Rams beefed up O-Line 2014?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
So I was going over many of our mocks on the site and others and off season moves and after watching the Super Bowl we have to work to compete within our division. IMO the first thing that needs to happen is us ensuring we can run the ball effectively and have enough pass pro to keep Sam upright and healthy. Here is what I came to a conclusion that would beef us up on the o-line with a high level of talent.

LT- Jake Long
LG- Barksdale
C- Jones/Alexis Mack
RG- Saffold
RT- Robinson/Matthews

Say what you want but I think that O-Line would help us get to where we need to be against our 3 division foes and dominate or at least stalemate 1 on 1 matchups constantly.

I'd like to hear what you, my fellow Rams on Demanders think.

Saffold/Mack are Pro Bowl caliber IMO
Long healthy is very solid
Barksdale has size but agile and has the speed to pull like Saffold
Robinson/Mathews is one that will be a lower contract with a bright future for years that can eventually move over to LT.

I could see Stacy behind this O-Line rush for 1300-1600 yards consistently each season and with Sam constantly having good pass pro to deliver the rock down field we might find himself at top 4-6 QB's in the league.

Regardless of anything I feel our O-Line should be our TOP PRIORITY this offseason.

Last edited:

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I think it is definitely crucial to our success that we take Robinson or Matthews but I also believe are next top 3 picks should be S, CB, LB because a dominant defense is the standard in our division and it's what will ultimately keep us in games. Resigning Saffold would also be ideal with how he has stepped up.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Im close with ramrasta. But i hope, but not sure will happen is that we draft a lineman in the first, have two extra picks and grabd a safety and CB. I dont feel Barks needs to be moved. Rather the lineman play LG if we keep Saffold.

fearsomefour

Legend
I dont see the advantage of moving Barksdale inside. You have a guy who is 25 and really coming into his own as a player, playing T, where he has always played. I think it would hinder his development to move him to G. Barksdale came to the Rams as a guy who couldnt get on the field and has developed into a solid starer. I would much rather see what his upside is at RT....he could end up being excellent.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I dont see the advantage of moving Barksdale inside. You have a guy who is 25 and really coming into his own as a player, playing T, where he has always played. I think it would hinder his development to move him to G. Barksdale came to the Rams as a guy who couldnt get on the field and has developed into a solid starer. I would much rather see what his upside is at RT....he could end up being excellent.
I totally agree. In this scenario if the Rams draft Matthews or Robinson then I'd want to start that guy out at LG until he's ready to take over for Jake Long or possibly at RT if Barksdale leaves after this year. Barksdale has earned himself the RT job; he has not been the problem for our OL this season.

jjab360

Legend
I totally agree. In this scenario if the Rams draft Matthews or Robinson then I'd want to start that guy out at LG until he's ready to take over for Jake Long or possibly at RT if Barksdale leaves after this year. Barksdale has earned himself the RT job; he has not been the problem for our OL this season.
I'm going to disagree with you a little here. If we draft Robinson, I completely agree he should start at LG because of his strength and ability to anchor. However, Matthews would be best off at RT, because he's not overwhelmingly powerful and his pass blocking technique would be a lot better utilized in space at one of the OT positions.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
However, Matthews would be best off at RT, because he's not overwhelmingly powerful and his pass blocking technique would be a lot better utilized in space at one of the OT positions.
That's a good point about Matthews. however, if we draft him, I'm not sure our O-line would be better served with Barksdale at guard. Perhaps Barksdale could move inside, but from what I understand his body type is much better suited to the tackle position. It might be that Matthews would not have a position to play, unless Jake Long is not healthy in time for the start of the season. If that's the case, then it may not make much sense for Matthews to be the pick

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I can see drafting an OT would be beneficial, but I also see the pro to keeping Saffold - I'm an advocate of cutting Wells, he's an expensive weight to carry. I would like to see Barrett Jones get more involved this season, I think he's a great, clever ball player.

I worry about picking up Mack, this sounds very much like the potential pick up of Wells a few years back. Pro-bowl caliber... been under centre for ARod... must be great, gets a big weighty pay check and becomes an OK player - not the elite athlete we seem to be paying for.

IMO, we need to focus on S, CB and LB in the draft.

Don't forget that Stacy put up huge number this year for a rookie that wasn't the starting RB all season, I don't think our O-Line needs too much tinkering, but I can't see a BPA O-Linesman being passed upon on draft day - there are always injuries (n)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
".... the first thing that needs to happen is us ensuring we can run the ball effectively and have enough pass pro to keep Sam upright and healthy. "
I agree with you fully.

*You inserted Barksdale @ OLG, I would not move Joe Barksdale, he remains @ ORT in order to continue to improve & grow as a starting ORT post.

*You inserted Saffold into the ORG post. Rams can not compete in the OG UFA Rodger Saffold bidding, due to lack of cap funds consider him fully gone period.

*Bring interior OL'er Tim Barnes back... Sign him! with designs for Barnes to either win the starting center position if not he will compete to fill the spot on the roster that reserve OG Shelley Smith held for the last two Ram seasons

*You have the Rams signing Alex Mack. Rams can not compete in the Alexis Mack bidding due to lack of cap funds.

*You plan has the Rams releasing OC Wells. I would retain center Scott Wells until final cuts before regular season pending full evaluation of centers Barrett Jones & Tim Barnes progress. Base on Jones/Barnes cut or retain.

*You have OG Harvey Dahl released...I agree saves 4 mil in cap funds.

*You did not resign a emergency back up swing OT & past starting OG Chris Williams. Due to Jake Long's ongoing rehabbing event a OLT will be needed for TC & pre season...Chris Williams is serious insurance policy for OLT & can perform the swing OT duties that Saffold performed.

"Regardless of anything I feel our O-Line should be our TOP PRIORITY this offseason."
I agree fully with you on the drafting of an OT with the top first selection Matthews would be my choice. You will need more help from the draft than just one OL'er

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I am a firm believer in building a dominant OL. Look at the holes Emmit Smith had for years in Dallas behind that mammoth line.
If we can run the ball, play great D then Sam doesn't have to be elite to win. He can just be really good and we'll have a great team.

I think we'll see 2 OL taken in this draft easily. And if we can pick up an Alex Mack in FA then we are really in good shape.

IMO we are NOT that far off from the Hawks.

laramsoriginal

Starter
In my mock (after 3 trade downs) I have

1: Cb
1: Fs
2: Og
2 Lb
2: Ot
3: Dt
3: Lb
4: Wr

Let the two OL drafted battle for the starting LG spot.
Let the two LB's drafted battle for the OLB spot vacated by Dunbar.
Resign Saffold and cut Finnegan, wells, dhal

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I pretty much agree with everything Bonifay has written.

We can't compete financially for Saffold and Mack, even if we cut Wells (I would get rid of him straight away), Dahl and Finnegan to save money.

We should keep Barksdale at RT and Long at LT. Barnes and Jones compete for the centre position. Where I differ from Bonifay is that I'd cut Williams and keep both Smith and Washington as back up at guard.

That leaves the two guard positions and the swing tackle. Draft Matthews or Robinson in the first and play them at guard for one year at least. That takes us to the end of Barksdale's contract and allows us to assess both him as a long term starter and Long as an ongoing injury concern.

And draft David Yankey. Immediate starter at guard and could play right tackle if Barksdale goes down. He should be available late in the first round or very early in the second; given our front office's knack for trading down, we can nab Yankey after accruing some extra picks.

Projected line:

Long/Robinson or Matthews
Yankey/Smith
Barnes/Jones
Robinson or Matthews/Washington
Barksdale/Yankey

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I pretty much agree with everything Bonifay has written.
We can't compete financially for Saffold and Mack, even if we cut Wells (I would get rid of him straight away), Dahl and Finnegan to save money.We should keep Barksdale at RT and Long at LT. Barnes and Jones compete for the centre position. Where I differ from Bonifay is that I'd cut Williams and keep both Smith and Washington as back up at guard. That leaves the two guard positions and the swing tackle. Draft Matthews or Robinson in the first and play them at guard for one year at least. That takes us to the end of Barksdale's contract and allows us to assess both him as a long term starter and Long as an ongoing injury concern. And draft David Yankey. Immediate starter at guard and could play right tackle if Barksdale goes down. He should be available late in the first round or very early in the second; given our front office's knack for trading down, we can nab Yankey after accruing some extra picks.Projected line:
Long/Robinson or Matthews
Yankey/Smith
Barnes/Jones
Robinson or Matthews/Washington
Barksdale/Yankey

On the Chris Williams discussion....I have done a complete change on my thoughts on this Ram starter since the last of November. For any RODmer who is bored enough to take time to read my posts... all know I have been saying CW was the Rams OL weak link since the 2013 season began ....well when the season was over this weak link according to me, CW was the only Ram starter to win his position early in TC & maintain it till the very end. CW was the only Ram Ol'er who played ever offensive series in the 2013 season. CW remained on the field when all the other Ram beginning season OL starter were taken out due to injury. CW's is not a big name in OL circles anymore he has failed to live up to his draft billing and remained a journeyman type Ol...but for this 2014 Rams team & its OL needs his fully healthy body! With OT/OG Saffold gone to UFA-land, ORG Dahl gone for various reasons cap casualty/unhealthy/degrading play, OG Shelley Smith gone to UFA-land the need to sign CW is clear to me.

Since both Smith & Williams are UFA why is CW a better purchase than the SS?
#1- CW beat out SS for the starting OLG post in 2013 TC.
#2-CW is the much bigger man 6-6 320-325 to SS 6-4 294-310
#3-CW has played in 69 NFL games to SS 25 games
#4-CW has started 54 NFL games to SS 8 games
#5-CW has started in the NFL @ four OL positions where SS is only two.
#6- This is very important CW can be the instant plug in & be the Swing OT whereas SS can not.
#7-CW is better suited for the Boudreau line technique whereas SS is better suited for zone blocking technique.
#8-CW with all that experience is only 2 yrs older than SS.
#9-CW & SS should cost about the same to retain & sign.
#10-With the new influx of young OL'ers that must be brought into this OL to just keep it viable to compete in 2014 & just to keep it close to its 2013 power which was mediocre for most of the season.....NFL game experience will be one of the most important elements to have.

Now that's why I would spend my few rare cap pennies on CW over SS.

Now in reference to Brandon Washington....BW can do everything that SS can do and more first off BW is not a UFA he is under contract. BW is a much bigger man than SS. BW ranges between 320 325 pounds and has played all four OL positions in college where SS only played OLG in college. BW has been under development with Boudreau since early September 2012. With 2 seasons under contract with the Rams now. BW was a 6th rd selection of the Eagle & was their last release before the 2012 season started. BW plays just like Barksdale did, both are very similar in the things they both needed to work on. But BW is different than SS he is a big, raw, physically talented lineman but possesses starter-caliber size and athletic ability. BW offers Boudreau versatility to play ORT & both OG positions. BW has had to learn much but is a better project than SS ever was. If you recall Boudreau inserted BW in starting LG in game 17 & he held his own against the Seattle big strong DT's for his first time NFL game action.

I agree with liking OL'er David Yankey IMO will be a first day draft pick & go much higher than #44 in the second round. Yankey is every bit as good @ ND Martin maybe better.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
We should keep Barksdale at RT and Long at LT. Barnes and Jones compete for the centre position. Where I differ from Bonifay is that I'd cut Williams and keep both Smith and Washington as back up at guard.

That leaves the two guard positions and the swing tackle. Draft Matthews or Robinson in the first and play them at guard for one year at least. That takes us to the end of Barksdale's contract and allows us to assess both him as a long term starter and Long as an ongoing injury concern.

if we go this way we could have 2 rookies at gaurd. if we have a injury we could be playing 3 rookies on the ol. on the ol you can have 4 players do a good job and 1 miss his asignment and destroy the play. i just don't like the idea of starting 2 or 3 rookies. man this ol situation is ugly. if we use high draft picks on ol you expect them to start but i don't like the idea of starting 2 or 3 ol rookies

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
if we go this way we could have 2 rookies at gaurd. if we have a injury we could be playing 3 rookies on the ol. on the ol you can have 4 players do a good job and 1 miss his asignment and destroy the play. i just don't like the idea of starting 2 or 3 rookies. man this ol situation is ugly. if we use high draft picks on ol you expect them to start but i don't like the idea of starting 2 or 3 ol rookies

Good Morning iamme33 your onto something here..can you name one rookie who was named as a starter by Boudreau since he arrived? I can not. When injuries took out Wells forcing Turner out of OLG to OC Boudreau was forced to play rookie Rok Watkins for two Quarters. After this rookies outing which was a total disaster Rok was never seen again that season. That brought us Shelley Smith from WWC who had been with the Texans 2 seasons before his release NOT a rookie. When Smith got his chance to start he was in his third yr. OT Barksdale did start two games in 2012 but he was in his second season NOT a rookie.

2012 initial Starters & 2012 mid season Starters
OLT- Saffold/Hunter/Barksdale
OLG- Turner/Ojinnaka/Smith
OC- Wells/Turner
ORG- Dahl
ORT- Richardson

2013 initial starters & 2013 mid season starters
OLT- Long
OLG- Williams
OC- Wells/Barnes
ORG- Dahl
ORT-Saffold/Barksdale

2014 estimated starters with Flipper_336's plan
OLT- Long/Robinson(R)
OLG- Robinson(R)/Washington
OC- Barnes/Jones
ORG- Yankey(R)/Smith
ORT- Barksdale/Yankey(R)

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Part of the problem is that Boudreau has only been working with middle- or lower-round rookies. Give him first round picks and he may well be willing to play them from the off.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow love reading and hearing all the info and ideas you guys have contributed to the whole O-Line 2014 discussion. I think Bonifay the case you make for Mr. Williams is damn compelling!

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
On the Chris Williams discussion....I have done a complete change on my thoughts on this Ram starter since the last of November. For any RODmer who is bored enough to take time to read my posts... all know I have been saying CW was the Rams OL weak link since the 2013 season began ....well when the season was over this weak link according to me, CW was the only Ram starter to win his position early in TC & maintain it till the very end. CW was the only Ram Ol'er who played ever offensive series in the 2013 season. CW remained on the field when all the other Ram beginning season OL starter were taken out due to injury. CW's is not a big name in OL circles anymore he has failed to live up to his draft billing and remained a journeyman type Ol...but for this 2014 Rams team & its OL needs his fully healthy body! With OT/OG Saffold gone to UFA-land, ORG Dahl gone for various reasons cap casualty/unhealthy/degrading play, OG Shelley Smith gone to UFA-land the need to sign CW is clear to me.

Since both Smith & Williams are UFA why is CW a better purchase than the SS?
#1- CW beat out SS for the starting OLG post in 2013 TC.
#2-CW is the much bigger man 6-6 320-325 to SS 6-4 294-310
#3-CW has played in 69 NFL games to SS 25 games
#4-CW has started 54 NFL games to SS 8 games
#5-CW has started in the NFL @ four OL positions where SS is only two.
#6- This is very important CW can be the instant plug in & be the Swing OT whereas SS can not.
#7-CW is better suited for the Boudreau line technique whereas SS is better suited for zone blocking technique.
#8-CW with all that experience is only 2 yrs older than SS.
#9-CW & SS should cost about the same to retain & sign.
#10-With the new influx of young OL'ers that must be brought into this OL to just keep it viable to compete in 2014 & just to keep it close to its 2013 power which was mediocre for most of the season.....NFL game experience will be one of the most important elements to have.

Now that's why I would spend my few rare cap pennies on CW over SS.

Now in reference to Brandon Washington....BW can do everything that SS can do and more first off BW is not a UFA he is under contract. BW is a much bigger man than SS. BW ranges between 320 325 pounds and has played all four OL positions in college where SS only played OLG in college. BW has been under development with Boudreau since early September 2012. With 2 seasons under contract with the Rams now. BW was a 6th rd selection of the Eagle & was their last release before the 2012 season started. BW plays just like Barksdale did, both are very similar in the things they both needed to work on. But BW is different than SS he is a big, raw, physically talented lineman but possesses starter-caliber size and athletic ability. BW offers Boudreau versatility to play ORT & both OG positions. BW has had to learn much but is a better project than SS ever was. If you recall Boudreau inserted BW in starting LG in game 17 & he held his own against the Seattle big strong DT's for his first time NFL game action.

I agree with liking OL'er David Yankey IMO will be a first day draft pick & go much higher than #44 in the second round. Yankey is every bit as good @ ND Martin maybe better.
I agree about CW over SS. I'm more interested in signing CW for his versatility more than anything else. I really don't want him to start at G unless of injury. For a running team he's to weak at point of attack to be a every down player. But he would make a good backup. SS can just go. He's not that good in this system.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree about CW over SS. I'm more interested in signing CW for his versatility more than anything else. I really don't want him to start at G unless of injury. For a running team he's to weak at point of attack to be a every down player. But he would make a good backup. SS can just go. He's not that good in this system.

Yes CW would be a very good top experienced reserve for game days along with Barrett Jones you could dress these two & cover all the five OL posts. Thus permitting Boudreau to only dress seven OL'ers making Fisher very happy. In truth the Rams are only settled in two starting positions ORT/OLT.

The center starting position will be under possible change between Barnes & Wells if by the end of pre season Barnes & Wells are playing at the same level...Wells will be released with a cap savings of 4.5 million to help go for signing any other released vets who could be plugged in any holes we have have developed by that time.

The starting OG's and the reserve is wide open. That's where the one drafted & 3 Wavier Wire Contengents 's .....Williams (7yr) vet-Jones (2nd yr)-Washington (3rd yr)-Persons (3rd yr) will be fighting it out. That current OG cadre looks pathetically weak. Hopefully Snead will draft 2 to 3 talented OL'ers with the Rams 9 selections in an effort to keep this 2014 Ram OL being once again one of the weakest problematic Ram units.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I at this point not willing to let Wells go. Yeah, he does miss some games which is the downside. There is too much of a drop off to Barnes. To me Barnes is a backup only, he's not physically strong enough to be a starter. Maybe Jones can fill this roll, but till I see him play I'm not counting on him.
Alternative is bring in a vet.
Guard is easy, draft a starter sign a vet, and it doesn't have to be a top dollar one. Just steady. Or bring Dahl back for less.
This is the draft the Rams need to fix the line for years, whether they will is the question.

Rams won't be able to compete in the NFC west till they can control the line of scrimmage.

My question for you is do they favor run or pass blockers in the draft?