Rams backup cornerbacks are ready to take a step up

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Rams backup cornerbacks are ready to take a step up in the absence of Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters

It’s been more than two years, but Sam Shields is ready.

With star cornerback Aqib Talib scheduled for ankle surgery, and star cornerback Marcus Peters regarded as a game-time decision because of a calf injury, Shields is on track to start for the Rams against the Minnesota Vikings on Thursday night at the Coliseum.

t would be Shields’ first start since the 2016 season opener, when he suffered a concussion while playing for the Green Bay Packers. Shields was sidelined for nearly two seasons.

“A lot of people still like want to know, ‘Is he all right?’ Things like that,” Shields said Tuesday. “For me, it’s just kind of show people I still got it.

“I can still do it.”

Shields, Troy Hill and slot corner Nickell Robey-Coleman are expected to fill in for Talib and Peters, both of whom left last week’s victory over the Chargers because of injuries.

Coach Sean McVay said Monday that Talib would probably have surgery. On Tuesday, after the 11th-year pro received a second opinion, a procedure was scheduled for Thursday. McVay did not provide a timeline for Talib’s return.

“We’ll find out the specifics once [surgeons] get in there,” McVay said.

Peters is “taking steps in the right direction,” McVay said. It seems doubtful, however, that the Rams would risk a long-term problem by playing Peters only four days after the injury.

“If we get him, we’ll be extremely excited and that’s a big boost to us,” McVay said. “If not, like we said, we have a whole lot of confidence in Sam Shields and Troy Hill.”

The Rams, 3-0 for the first time since 2001, rank first in the NFL in scoring defense, giving up only 12 points a game.

They are sixth in total defense, giving up 296 yards per game, and also rank sixth in pass defense (199.3 yards per game). They have surrendered only two touchdown passes, which ties for the league lead.

“We’ll be fine,” Robey-Coleman said of possibly playing without Talib and Peters.

The Rams face a Vikings team that is 1-1-1 after a 27-6 defeat Sunday at home by the Buffalo Bills.

Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins, who signed an $84-million guaranteed contract before the season, has passed for seven touchdowns with two interceptions. He ranks second in the NFL with 965 yards passing.

Cousins has an array of weapons, including Adam Thielen (who has 32 receptions), Stefon Diggs and tight end Kyle Rudolph.

That combination presents a test for the Rams, but defensive coordinator Wade Phillips was encouraged after watching Shields and Hill play against Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers.

“It’s a challenge any time your second-team people are in there,” Phillips said, “but we have a lot of confidence in those guys.

“We can call the same calls.”

Shields, an eighth-year pro, intercepted a pass in a Week 2 victory against the Arizona Cardinals and broke up a pass against the Chargers.

He expects Cousins and the Vikings to test the backup cornerbacks early.

“That’s part of the game,” he said. “Backup’s in, hey you got to go at him. We’re ready for it.”

Hill began his pro career in 2015 with the Cincinnati Bengals as an undrafted free agent. He signed with the Rams before the 2016 season and started four games.

Last season, he started three games, including the wild-card playoff loss to the Atlanta Falcons.

“I’ve been here before,” Hill said. “It’s the same thing — just go out there and do what I’ve been doing.”

Other Rams players repeated the “next man up” mantra.

If the Vikings test the cornerbacks, so be it.

“Soon enough, early on in the game, they’ll realize that, ‘OK, we just got to go to our regular game plan. We can’t just try these guys on the outside,’ ” safety John Johnson said.

Defensive tackle Aaron Donald said the backups would rise to the occasion.

“If they test them, they’re going to get interceptions just like Talib and Peters,” he said, adding, “Big shoes to fill. But they’ll do it.”

Etc. Linebacker Dominique Easley (knee) remains questionable for Thursday’s game.

The Rams will wear their blue, yellow and white “throwback” uniforms, and for remaining home games.

The Rams took out a full-page ad in The Times on Tuesday that featured a humorous letter from McVay urging Los Angeles area employers to let workers off early Thursday to attend the game at the Coliseum.

The Rams will distribute yellow “rally” towels emblazoned with “RAMS HOUSE!” at Thursday’s game.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-vikings-20180925-story.html

Troy Hill
usa_today_10527553.0.jpg

Sam Shields
usa_today_10900633.0.jpg

Nickell Robey-Coleman
USATSI_10465936_168383805_lowres.jpg

N0725-LAR_5e5ed430-b6af-420f-b147-f9982a6cf7f8_grande.jpg

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Troy is Ventura's hometown pride! I know he will embrace the challenge and step up big time.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Several ROD members posted at the time of the Sam Sheilds signing, that it could turn out to be one of the most important the Rams made in the off season. He played well in the 2nd half vs the Chargers. Big test for him tomorrow.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The "Good Morning Football" crew talks about who on the Rams defense needs to step up vs. the Vikings in Week 4.

https://sports.yahoo.com/los-angeles-rams-defense-needs-122951782.html

Rams Call on Backups to Step Up Against Vikings
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/...-Marcus-Peters-Sam-Shields-NFL-494374371.html

With Aqib Talib set to undergo surgery and the availability of Marcus Peters uncertain, the Rams prepare to take on the Vikings
By Dan Greenspan

Sam Shields expects to be tested if the Los Angeles Rams do not have their two starting cornerbacks available against Minnesota on Thursday night."That's part of the game. Backups, hey, you gots to go at 'em," Shields said Tuesday night.

With Aqib Talib set to undergo surgery and the availability of Marcus Peters uncertain, Shields, Troy Hill and Nickell Robey-Coleman are preparing for an expected challenge from Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins.

The three cornerbacks looked to be up to the task based on how they performed in the Rams' 35-23 win over the Chargers on Sunday after Peters and Talib were hurt. It wasn't a surprise considering the experience of Shields, Hill and Robey-Coleman.

Robey-Coleman has played 65 percent of the defensive snaps this season as the Rams' slot corner. Hill started the final three games of the regular season and the Rams' playoff loss last season. Shields made more than 60 starts during his seven seasons in Green Bay. "We can call the same calls with those guys. In fact, we did in the (last) ballgame," defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said. "I feel confident in those guys."

The trio will be called upon for an extended period of time as Talib will have surgery on his injured ankle Thursday. The Rams will get a better sense of the timetable for when the five-time Pro Bowl defensive back might be able to return after the procedure, Rams coach Sean McVay said. Peters is day to day, and McVay expects it will be a game-day decision to determine his status.

"It's a great representation of his toughness to even still have it be a chance that he's going to play when you look at what occurred and you talk about what that position requires and entails in terms of the movements. He's taking steps in the right direction," McVay said.

But Shields spoke as if he already knew he would be making his first start since Week 14 in 2015."Me, Troy Hill, you know, Robey, all us, we got to take care of the back end because two explosive guys out," Shields said.

Shields missed all of 2017 because of concussions, but has been effective in spot duty for the Rams, including making an interception against Arizona. Still, the 30-year-old feels as if he has something to prove and is relishing the opportunity to show it against his former NFC North rivals."For me, it's just kind of (a chance) to show the people that I still got it. I can still do it," Shields said.

Shields wasn't the only one expressing the notion the backups would be on a mission. Starting safety Lamarcus Joyner does not expect a secondary that has allowed 199 yards per game and two touchdown passes to miss a beat just because the two high-profile offseason acquisitions in Talib and Peters might be absent.

"I don't know if you all heard, but we know we got two corners behind those guys that can start anywhere else in this league, including for this team," Joyner said. "When you lose elite cornerbacks like that you still feel confident because you got another pair of great corners coming in."

Joyner believes the biggest challenge is getting familiar with how Hill and Shields express themselves on the field together in such a short amount of time. The Rams held two walkthroughs Tuesday, with Phillips likening the early session to a typical Wednesday practice and the afternoon stretch to the Thursday of a normal game week

Even with truncated preparations, the Rams defense is confident Shields, Hill and Robey-Coleman will be ready."But if they test them, they are going to get intercepted just like Talib and Peters can do," defensive lineman Aaron Donald said. "If one guy goes down, the other guys step up. They got big shoes to fill, but they'll do it."

Last edited:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Ok, you guys lucky enough to go to this game, hord up some of those yellow towels they will be handing out for your ROD brothers and sisters!!!!! "RAMS HOUSE"!!!!!

RamWoodie

Legend
The best things these guys can do is PLAY WITHIN WHO THEY ARE AND HOW THEY PLAY!

They cannot be Peter's or Talib...but they can be themselves. If they come within 85% or more of the starters it's a big plus!

Let Cousins test them!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Let Cousins test them!

He will, quite frankly I would rather have the Ram defensive line punch Cousins in the mouth and with the pressure, get him off his spot. Time for the pressure to make the difference and the offense to do their part too.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Who are we going to have as backup now ? Talib is out for 2 months is there someone unsigned to shore up our depleted depth?

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I always give Troy Hill and Hatfield a lot of crap. But tomorrow I’ll be rooting for them and they’ll have a chance to prove me wrong :p