#Rams Awarded OL Joe Barksdale on waivers. Waive OL Ty Nshek

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Re: #Rams Awarded OL Joe Barksdale on waivers. Waive OL Ty N

Dont know much about him other than he played all 16 games his rookie year, and the Giants were the other team that put in a claim for him. Hes another player that their new GM is getting rid of from the Al Davis era. Could he eventually start at LT?

Balzer also said that Ty Nsheke was a player we would like to bring back to the PS.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

This is an interesting move.

The dude was draft in the 3rd round last year out of LSU and played in all 16 games last year, although he wasnt particularly effective. There is plenty of tape on him so we should know what we are getting. He has good size at 6'4'' 325, but bad feet.

Apparently he could not pick up their new zone blocking scheme so he was waived.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

He was projected as a mid 2nd to mid 3rd rounder out of LSU. Drafted by the Raiders in 2011 in the third round. He played all 16 games as a rookie, but hasn't sniffed the field with the new regime, being inactive for all their games this year.

This is a massive dude, and he has very long arms, 36". He has the ability to be a starter at LT, has experience at LT and RT in college. Run blocking is his specialty. He plays hard. Was considered a technician at the college level.

Knocks on him, he played better from the right side, and he seems to lack a mean streak.

Hopefully, he's a guy that gets his fresh start, and blows up here.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

libertadrocks said:
This is an interesting move.

The dude was draft in the 3rd round last year out of LSU and played in all 16 games last year, although he wasnt particularly effective. There is plenty of tape on him so we should know what we are getting. He has good size at 6'4'' 325, but bad feet.

Apparently he could not pick up their new zone blocking scheme so he was waived.

What position did he start for them last year?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I keep reading he played in all 16 games last season, then I read on Rotoworld that he doesn't have a start in the NFL. Was he used in a sub package? wtf? :shifty:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Username said:
I keep reading he played in all 16 games last season, then I read on Rotoworld that he doesn't have a start in the NFL. Was he used in a sub package? wtf? :shifty:
Pro Football Reference shows him in playing in 13 games, but don't list him as a starter on the line.
Maybe someone needs to troll a Raiders Message Board to find out.

I would, but those guys scare me. :lol:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

I trolled a little. Most people say he sucked. Some say he played well, didn't give up a sack when he backed up at LT. And a couple thought he was a ZBS casualty. Most just thought he sucked though. He was their third tackle, he backed up both sides, and probably came in on some jumbo packages, I'm guessing.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

DR RAM said:
I trolled a little. Most people say he sucked. Some say he played well, didn't give up a sack when he backed up at LT. And a couple thought he was a ZBS casualty. Most just thought he sucked though. He was their third tackle, he backed up both sides, and probably came in on some jumbo packages, I'm guessing.

Found the same.

Few people mentioned he may be a good fit at OG. Read he filled in at LG too.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Sounds like someone that they can coach up a bit.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory

I haven't heard much about Ty Nshek other than that he got in a little scrape with someone else yesterday, perhaps Brockers?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

[flv]http://prod.video.raiders.clubs.nfl.com/OAK/videos/behind-the-shield/Barksdale_1.mp4[/flv]

Posted: Apr 30, 2011

Barksdale Exclusive

Jeanette Thompson caught up with 3rd round pick OT Joseph Barksdale for an exclusive interview.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Joe Barksdale - OT, LSU
6-foot-5, 325 pounds
Projection: Late-round pick (3-4 Rd)
Scouting Reports

From National Football Post:

Possesses good overall size for the position and looks natural when asked to sit into his stance off the line. Is an above-average athlete who exhibits a good first step off the football in the run game and has the ability to quickly get around defenders and seal. Looks pretty athletic at the second level, can reach linebackers off his frame and initially push them past the play. However, doesn't seem to really understand angles. Consistently seems to overstep in tight areas and give defensive linemen space to side step his block and get up the field. Isn't a real compact or explosive puncher either.

Exhibits a good initial step off the football in the pass game and displays above-average range toward the corner. However, needs to do a better job getting off the snap count on time. Too often is late out of his stance and gives up the edge too easily at times because of it.

Impression: Is a good athlete with some natural bend and power to his game. However, lacks ideal awareness, isn't real clean when asked to redirect and needs to be a more effective puncher. Has some raw talent with some upside, but I don't know if he will ever put it all together.

From NFL.com:

Strengths:
Barksdale has ideal size for the tackle position. Capable of thwarting power pass rushers and using his windspan to push rushers past the pocket. Does a good job getting into position while running blocking and letting his size take over. Can picks up blitzing linebackers and stays home against stunts. Experienced and durable.

Weaknesses:
Not a great overall athlete. Lacks some quickness and flexibility. Speed rushers give him problems in pass pro. 3-techniques can beat him to the point in the running game. Not overly comfortable blocking in space. Not a true road-grader. Has natural strength but doesn’t doesn't play with nastiness.

Overview:
Barksdale's a backup right tackle prospect with exceptional size but less-than-adequate athleticism for the next level. Uses his strength to stop the bull rush in pass protection, but has a difficult time dealing with double-moves or edge rushers. Can create some running room by walling off defenders but doesn't fire off the ball, get a ton of movement, or excel locating targets at the second level. Has good football IQ, picking up blitzers and staying home against stunts, but limited athleticism still causes him to be a step late at times. Developmental prospect worthy of a late-round pick.

From Sideline Scouting:

Positives: Good overall size and length... Very solid pass protector... Long arms... Reasonably good athlete... Patient... Very solid initial quickness and pass set... Good arm extension, uses his hands well... Solid anchor... Reasonably good kick step... Flashes good lateral movement and slide... Very solid lateral range... Solid knee bend... Very solid run blocker... Good strength, can control defenders at POA... Can get movement in the running game... Does a nice job getting to the second level... Solid flexibility and body control... Can seal linebackers from the action... Generally keeps his feet moving throughout the play.

Negatives: Inconsistent technique... Lacks good explosion or suddenness to his game... Marginal hand punch, lacks any real pop... Can struggle with edge speed, will overextend and lunge... On the ground too much... Rises up too early and is too upright in his slide... Bends at the waist... Is a little heavy footed and allows his base to get too narrow... Can be awkward changing direction, loses his balance too easy... Lacks good awareness, doesn't keep head on a swivel, lose game focus... Appears to lack mental toughness... Lacks a mean streak, plays relatively passive with little sense of urgency... Not an especially good finisher... Has talent but may never play to his potential... Similar to Arizona Cardinal Levi Brown.

joeybittick

Rookie

I like the pickup because the Rams obviously need o-linemen. I like that they went with a guy like Barksdale (young with upside) rather than an over the hill veteran who has no chance of sticking around long term. Even if he was a backup, playing in 16 games as a rookie is something. He should at least be familiar with the speed of the game whereas promoting or signing a PS rookie would lead to issues in that area to go with the drop off in skill.

Even if Barksdale is not a starter, if he could be an Adam Goldberg type (good depth who can fill in when needed and start a few games) I think that would be a major win for the Rams.

And since he was picked up on waivers, the Rams inherit his rookie contract, right? IF he sticks, a 3rd round contract for the next 3 years gives them a low cost backup at the least. So, yeah, why not take a shot with him?