Rams Awarded 5 Comp Picks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
You know what they say...

The rich get undervalued assets as a return on prior strategic maneuvers that they then parlay into additional assets that provide the flexibility to perpetuate the process... and thus, get richer.

(Not catchy, but descriptive!)
Pat Kirwin on Sirius NFL said the comp system was supposed to help smaller market teams who maybe got outbid for players… not for big market team to game the salary cap.

Yet. Here we are!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Pat Kirwin on Sirius NFL said the comp system was supposed to help smaller market teams who maybe got outbid for players… not for big market team to game the salary cap.

Yet. Here we are!
Pat gets a lot of his insider intel from Pete Carroll. The two are buds from their Jets days. And Pete is sour as fuck on the Rams so that take doesn't surprise me.

The rules are there for any team who wants to "game" the cap. Reason other teams can't do what the Rams do is McVay and that staff. Nobody grows players like this staff IMO. Rams have the best group in the league.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yet. Here we are!
Every man made rule has an unintended consequence…nice to be on the good end.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Los Angeles Rams 2022 NFL Draft picks:
  • 3rd round (104th overall)
  • 4th round (142nd overall)
  • 5th round (175th overall)
  • 6th round (211st overall)
  • 6th round (212th overall)
  • 6th round (218th overall)
  • 7th round (239th overall)
  • 7th round (253rd overall)
Let's go all you draftdraftnik's time for some new mocks. @OldSchool communicated about CB's my kingdom for a roadgrader at RG...So @jrry32 @Riverumbbq @Memento @AvengerRam and anyone else, let's go!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The Los Angeles Rams 2022 NFL Draft picks:
  • 3rd round (104th overall)
  • 4th round (142nd overall)
  • 5th round (175th overall)
  • 6th round (211st overall)
  • 6th round (212th overall)
  • 6th round (218th overall)
  • 7th round (239th overall)
  • 7th round (253rd overall)
Let's go all you draftdraftnik's time for some new mocks. @OldSchool communicated about CB's my kingdom for a roadgrader at RG...So @jrry32 @Riverumbbq @Memento @AvengerRam and anyone else, let's go!

I'm sure they'll be coming, at least on my part anyway, but since I've posted a couple of mocks already with Von Miller staying and/or going, I want to hold off until we have a better idea of how the earliest days of free agency stack up, at least in regards to re-signing some of our own players. Von Miller is likely to have a big impact on our CAP situation, same with several anticipated extensions that are hopefully in the works, but still, I don't expect my future mocks to be dramatically different from what has already been offered up.
jmo.

RamInferno

UDFA

Yet. Here we are!
And yet small market teams keep outbidding large market teams on free agents (see Jacksonville this year among many others over the years). Large market teams like the Rams have to resort to scavenging for unwanted leftovers like players cut by other teams and undrafted free agents or trading real quality assets to acquire higher tier players. So those small market teams have no one to blame but themselves!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So those small market teams have no one to blame but themselves!
But what I love about the NFL is each team is on a level playing field from a cap perspective as opposed to baseball. Now I'm for players getting all the money they can believe you me, however, even though I'm a Dodger fan in baseball, I can't feel sorry for teams like the Royals & Pirates that have to do things a different way in order to be competitive.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Pat gets a lot of his insider intel from Pete Carroll. The two are buds from their Jets days. And Pete is sour as fuck on the Rams so that take doesn't surprise me.

The rules are there for any team who wants to "game" the cap. Reason other teams can't do what the Rams do is McVay and that staff. Nobody grows players like this staff IMO. Rams have the best group in the league.
Yep.. he talks about his relationship with Pete all the time.

I doubt his feelings on the comp pick have anything to do with that relationship, based on the story he told about when the concept was introduced and implemented. I linked and quoted an article below that reinforces that.

I'm well aware of how and why the Rams are able to do it and why it's effective and have followed the way they do this closely.

It's just a post about the unintended consequences of some decisions a league can make.

"When the NFL implemented compensatory draft picks in 1994, the idea was that the extra picks would lend a hand to the teams that got out-spent in free agency, which was then new in the league: Compensatory picks go to teams that lose more in free agency than they gain, and so the picks were envisioned as a safeguard against the rich raiding the rosters of the poor."

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
And yet small market teams keep outbidding large market teams on free agents (see Jacksonville this year among many others over the years). Large market teams like the Rams have to resort to scavenging for unwanted leftovers like players cut by other teams and undrafted free agents or trading real quality assets to acquire higher tier players. So those small market teams have no one to blame but themselves!
Absolutely.
Jacksonville just did it again.

RamInferno

UDFA
"When the NFL implemented compensatory draft picks in 1994, the idea was that the extra picks would lend a hand to the teams that got out-spent in free agency, which was then new in the league: Compensatory picks go to teams that lose more in free agency than they gain, and so the picks were envisioned as a safeguard against the rich raiding the rosters of the poor."
That's interesting because it isn't implemented in a way that would safeguard the "rich" from raiding the "poor". It's set up in a way to safeguard the the well-run teams from being raided by the poorly-run teams.

You don't lose players to other teams in free agency unless you have players other teams want and are willing to pay for. You have players other teams want and are willing to pay for primarily by drafting well and drafting often. So the teams that draft well and draft often will have more good players, will be less likely to be able keep them all in a salary cap system (which also renders rich/poor mostly irrelevant), lose more good players to free agency, gain more comp picks as a result, and perpetuate the process with those comp picks by the design of the system, not as an exploit of the system.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
That's interesting because it isn't implemented in a way that would safeguard the "rich" from raiding the "poor". It's set up in a way to safeguard the the well-run teams from being raided by the poorly-run teams.

You don't lose players to other teams in free agency unless you have players other teams want and are willing to pay for. You have players other teams want and are willing to pay for primarily by drafting well and drafting often. So the teams that draft well and draft often will have more good players, will be less likely to be able keep them all in a salary cap system (which also renders rich/poor mostly irrelevant), lose more good players to free agency, gain more comp picks as a result, and perpetuate the process with those comp picks by the design of the system, not as an exploit of the system.
Not my argument.. just presenting the history of the comp pick program.