Rams at Whiners (21 Dec 2019) OL Pass Plays

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pass play #30 (DROPBACK)

Pre-snap we see the trips left look again and once again the matchups favor the Rams
1588640199695.png

At the snap Kupp is running the crosser and Higs dragging from the other side. Protections look great up front which is bad news for the 9ers
1588640414681.png

At the drop Kupp has his guy beat. The safety has a chance still but he's not going to react in time
1588640505587.png

Goff hits Kupp in stride for an easy 7
1588640574745.png

Some OL stills to show some really nice teamwork up front...

At the snap Bosa is trying his luck vs Evans, and Armstead is about to run a stunt with 54
1588640715428.png

As the stunt starts Bucker is handed over smoothly to Edwards
1588640881268.png

Blythe takes 54, and now it's up to Corbett to pick up Armstead
1588640948696.png

Real nice recovery by Corbett here
1588640997022.png

1588641024567.png

1588641054764.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gonna wrap things here as it's getting late. But some overall notes on the OL and our passing game in this late season matchup...

* Whit is a warrior. To come back from where he was earlier in the season to play like he did in this game is extremely impressive. Doesn't change my fears re: his age but I love the guy.

* I can't recall ever watching a game where the scheme was so creative in limiting the defensive front by moving the pocket as much as McVay did in this game. It's crazy.

* The boots were so effective particularly early in the game due to the way the 9ers crash their ends in to help in the run game.

* The 9ers are weak at ILB and it's why they struggled to stop the run last season. A good inside zone run game would be extremely effective vs them and IMO factored in with them wanting Akers.

* Blythe needs to be protected with good guard play, yes I know not a surprise to anyone here lol. If Edwards & Corbett can keep developing they might have good enough OG quality to do that.

* Goff didn't play particularly well in this game but we were in it because of him in large part. The run game was not a factor or something we could rely on.

* Cooks was a liability. Another non-surprise but the difference in his game is very clear in this week.

TexasRam

Legend
Nice work!

It just reminds me how critical scheme and play calling is to the outcome of a game.

I am not sure if we could keep the heavy rollouts and bootlegs going because teams could scheme to defend it eventually.

Also, it goes without saying that Blythe was reportedly playing injured in 2019, whereas fully healthy in 2018 he was the highest rated guard in the NFL by PFF. I think its important to keep in mind that sometimes he looks beat but in reality he is just using a players momentum against him and moving the player out of the play.

Good to see Whitworth handling his own late in the season. That is encouraging!

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
The boots were so effective particularly early in the game due to the way the 9ers crash their ends in to help in the run game.
Nice work Merlin! I wanted to add the Reverse Boots were effective in the First Half. The 49ers made adjustmets to how they covered the receivers running the intermediate and deep crosses. This forced Goff to hold the ball and make some forced throws into coverage. McVay kept trying to run the same concept over and over again in the Second half without much success. It's one thing that McVay has to improve on ; countering the opponents adjustments to his game plan.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Nice work Merlin! ....

McVay kept trying to run the same concept over and over again in the Second half without much success. It's one thing that McVay has to improve on ; countering the opponents adjustments to his game plan.

O'Connell should hopefully help a lot with game strategy and adjustments. McVay seemed to me like he had too much on his plate at times last year in general. Maybe it's not so easy to be the play caller and make strategic adjustments at the same time?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Gonna wrap things here as it's getting late. But some overall notes on the OL and our passing game in this late season matchup...

* Whit is a warrior. To come back from where he was earlier in the season to play like he did in this game is extremely impressive. Doesn't change my fears re: his age but I love the guy.

* I can't recall ever watching a game where the scheme was so creative in limiting the defensive front by moving the pocket as much as McVay did in this game. It's crazy.

* The boots were so effective particularly early in the game due to the way the 9ers crash their ends in to help in the run game.

* The 9ers are weak at ILB and it's why they struggled to stop the run last season. A good inside zone run game would be extremely effective vs them and IMO factored in with them wanting Akers.

* Blythe needs to be protected with good guard play, yes I know not a surprise to anyone here lol. If Edwards & Corbett can keep developing they might have good enough OG quality to do that.

* Goff didn't play particularly well in this game but we were in it because of him in large part. The run game was not a factor or something we could rely on.

* Cooks was a liability. Another non-surprise but the difference in his game is very clear in this week.
Insightful breakdowns Merlin. Good stuff.
(y)