Rams at Panthers: 5 things to know about Week 1 matchup

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
By: Cameron DaSilva | 3 hours ago
GettyImages-1075983542.jpg

(Photo by John McCoy/Getty Images)

The Los Angeles Rams will begin their season on the road, facing the Panthers in Charlotte on Sunday. It’s an early start for the Rams with kickoff slated for 1 p.m. ET, but they’ve performed well in season openers the last two years.

Injuries won’t be of any concern this week with Cam Newton healthy, Todd Gurley ready to go and Cooper Kupp fully recovered from his torn ACL. Thus, it’ll be a fun matchup, one that has the Rams favored by only 2.5 points.
Here are five facts and stats to know for the Week 1 showdown.

Rams have owned Week 1 under Sean McVay
usatsi_10273839.jpg

Robert Hanashiro-USA TODAY Sports

The Rams have gotten off to hot starts under McVay the last two seasons. They beat the Raiders 33-13 last year in Week 1, and in 2017, they blew out the Colts – led by Scott Tolzien – 46-9 at home. That’s a combined score of 79-22 with an average winning margin of 28.5. That’s the fifth-highest average of any NFL coach in his first two Week 1 games.
The Panthers pose a much greater threat than the Raiders did last year and the Colts did in 2017, especially with Cam Newton healthy. Traveling across the country for a 1 p.m. ET kickoff doesn’t help, either. McVay will be tested this week in Charlotte.

Panthers are 6-1 in their last seven games against the Rams
usatsi_9659768.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

The Panthers have owned their matchups with the Rams recently, winning six of the last seven meetings. Their most recent win came in 2016 when they knocked off the Rams 13-10 at the Coliseum. Case Keenum started that game and failed to complete the fourth-quarter comeback after going scoreless in the first three quarters.

This is a very different Rams team now, of course. Jared Goff is the quarterback, Todd Gurley is in an offense that capitalizes on his skill set and Aaron Donald has only gotten better since their last meeting three years ago.

Sixth time Jared Goff will face a fellow No. 1 overall pick
GettyImages-1086136070.jpg

(Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

This will be the sixth time in his career that Goff takes on a player who was also drafted first overall. In the previous five times, Goff has gone 4-1, including four straight wins. His only loss came to the Cardinals in his rookie season when Carson Palmer was under center.

Since then, he’s beaten Palmer, Eli Manning, Sam Bradford and Matthew Stafford. Not exactly the most impressive list of quarterbacks, but Goff has been impressive against every level of competition the last two seasons.

Aaron Donald had two sacks, three TFL in last meeting with Panthers
usatsi_9659589.jpg

Richard Mackson-USA TODAY Sports

Donald didn’t have any Defensive Player of the Year awards on his mantle when the Rams last faced Carolina, but he was still an impactful player. In that 2016 meeting, Donald had two sacks, four tackles, three tackles for loss and landed two hits on Cam Newton.

As a team, the Rams sacked Newton five times. Mark Barron had one, as did Eugene Sims and Cam Thomas. Still, it wasn’t enough to stop Newton, who had 225 yards passing and a touchdown against the Rams that day.

McCaffrey, Gurley were RB2 and RB3 in fantasy last season
gettyimages-1081690134-1.jpg

(Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)

This game will feature two of the premier backs in the NFL right now – guys who can rack up the fantasy points in a hurry. In PPR scoring last year, Christian McCaffrey finished second with Gurley right behind in third. Of course, that was with Gurley missing two games, but he still finished as the fourth overall player in fantasy last season.

McCaffrey was one of the top players in fantasy drafts this year, frequently going second and third. Gurley’s stock was lower due to concerns about his knee injury, typically being drafted in the second round.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Los Angeles Rams at Carolina Panthers odds, picks and best bets
usatsi_12307787-e1562775826349.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | September 4, 2019

The Carolina Panthers (0-0) open their 2019 season at home, playing host to the defending NFC champion Los Angeles Rams (0-0). Kickoff from Bank of America Stadium is set for Sunday at 1 p.m. ET.
Panther QB Cam Newton is healthy after suffering a foot sprain in the preseason, Rams RB Todd Gurley is ready to go and QB Jared Goffjust got paid, so this should be one of the better Week 1 matchups – especially with the Rams traveling across the country for a dreaded early-window kickoff.
Los Angeles Rams at Carolina Panthers: Week 1 preview, betting trends and notes

• The Rams are 4-0 against the spread in their last four games against NFC opponents.
  • Los Angeles is 2-0 in Week 1 under head coach Sean McVay, winning its last two season openers by a total score of 79-22.
  • The Panthers are 4-1 ATS in their last five Week 1 games and 9-4 ATS in their last 13 games at Bank of America Stadium.
  • The Panthers have won six of their last seven games against the Rams, most recently beating them 13-10 in 2016.
WIN YOUR FANTASY FOOTBALL LEAGUE: TheHuddle.com has helped people just like you win their league for over 20 years. This year, it’s your turn to win! Subscribe Now: Use code “sbw19” to take $10 off.
Discount valid for new TheHuddle subscribers through 9/14/19.
  • The Rams are 0-5 ATS in their last five games on the road against the Panthers and 1-6-1 ATS in their last eight games overall against Carolina.
  • Newton is 12-13 in his career in September with 34 touchdown passes and 23 interceptions.
  • The under is 6-1 in the Rams’ last seven road games and 5-1 in the last six games between the Rams and Panthers.
Los Angeles Rams at Carolina Panthers: Odds, betting lines and prediction
Odds courtesy of playMGM; for a full-set of today’s sports betting odds, access them at USA TODAY Sports. Lines last updated Wednesday at 11:30 a.m. Eastern.
Prediction
Despite having to travel across the country for an early 1 p.m. ET start, the Rams are clearly the better team in this one. Gurley should see his normal usage, while DL Aaron Donald will give the Panthers’ offensive line fits on the interior.
Rams 27, Panthers 20
Moneyline (?)
The Rams were 13-3 SU last season and there’s little reason to believe they can’t handle the Panthers on the road. They’re the pick at -150, which is a favorable line for the defending NFC champions.
Against the Spread (?)
Surprisingly, the Rams are only 2.5-point favorites, which is a small spread for a team that won 13 games last season and has no significant injuries. They’ve gotten off to hot starts under McVay, too, even after resting starters in the preseason. The play is Rams -2.5 at -110.
Over/Under (?)
As explosive as the Rams offense is, there might be some rust to knock off. Go with the UNDER (49.5, -110), though it’ll be close. These two teams can erupt for 30 points in any given week, but the Week 1 jitters should be a factor.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Los Angeles Rams at Carolina Panthers: Rams to Watch

There are always questions in week one. Injury rebounds and youngsters stepping up are the focus for the Rams.

By Sean Wilkinson@Papa_Lurch Sep 4, 2019, 8:00am CDT

Los Angeles Rams v New Orleans Saints

Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images

IT’S FOOTBALL TIME!
After 7 months to reflect on their Super Bowl loss to the New England Patriots, the Los Angeles Rams will finally get a chance to show the NFL how they will rebound with meaningful football.
With the exception of LG Rodger Saffold III, C John Sullivan, DL Ndamukong Suh, S Lamarcus Joyner and ILB Mark Barron, the Rams return their starting roster from 2018. Those losses, combined with injury questions, played a large part in who we will be paying closer attention to this weekend.

RB Todd Gurley
The patella novella needs no introduction. We will all be watching how Gurley is used in addition to how effective he is with his touches.

WR Cooper Kupp
Ten months removed from a torn ACL, Kupp is ready to roll. He wasn’t held back in training camp and looks ready to dominate in the slot once again. Nonetheless, Rams fans will be watching his snap count and explosiveness in an attempt to gauge whether he truly is 100% back from injury.

C Brian Allen
Where Gurley and Kupp are listed because of injury concerns, Allen is stepping into a starting role for the first time. A 4th round pick in 2018, Allen sat behind Sullivan and hopes to put fans’ concern to bed.
He’ll face an extremely talented Panthers defensive line that features Dontari Poe, Gerald McCoy, and Kawann Short. It’s unclear how much of the signal calling Allen will face, but expect Sean McVay to help him out whenever possible.

DL Sebastian Joseph-Day
SJD is another youngster stepping into a starting role. This might be more of a timeshare between him and Greg Gaines, but SJD is listed as the starter and will have the first opportunity to claim the nose tackle slot between Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers.

CB Marcus Peters
Peters is the outlier here. He was an enigma in 2018: the epitome of a feast or famine player. He started strong, struggled when fellow CB Aqib Talib was injured, then finished strong in the playoffs.
He’s playing for a big deal in 2019, so you better believe he’s motivated to ball out. With the Panthers WR corps extremely lacking in big play ability, I fully expect Peters to set a precedent of dominance in week 1.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As usual, I'll be a nervous wreck Sunday morning... my gut says they'll win... the numbers say they'll win and - on paper - they should win.

But, until a few series are under my belt, it's the same as always... man, I'm getting too old for this :)

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'm the same Rmfnlt. I'll be extremely nervous starting Saturday night and a wreck Sunday morning. I need to see the starters in action for a few series before I can relax a bit, provided they are fairly sharp. If I recall, they were not sharp in the first half in last seasons opening game, but improved later. Panthers are a good team that can win on any Sunday. Wish we go to start against the Dolphins or Bengals (shehags lucked out).

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If the Rams Edge rushers & Donald from the interior line bring the pressure, our DB's will be the difference in this game imo. Fowler, Matthews & Obo against the revamped Carolina Offensive Line should be a good battle.

Rainram

Starter
Take away Mr. McCaffrey, please.

If we play with a lead and force Cam to beat us with his arm. I like our odds with AD in full pursuit mode and Wade dialing up play that get our secondary a pick or two.

If we have trouble with McCaffrey on one side of the ball and our offense gets off to a slow start on the other side, it’ll be a frustrating nail-biter.

As a side note, I’m excited to see Goff’s growth this year. He’s taken steps every year to get better, and he’s a hard worker. Year one with McVay he spent shaking off the stench of Fisher. Year two he had a lot more success but I think he was still learning a ton from McVay while teams were adjusting a lot more to them (see Chicago and New England).

This year I hope to see things have slowed down even more. He should be even more comfortable with the system, his teammates, and he’s got a lot of exposure to NFL defenses now. I expect to see him take another step. (Just hope the OLine does their part)

Rainram

Starter
If the Rams Edge rushers & Donald from the interior line bring the pressure, our DB's will be the difference in this game imo. Fowler, Matthews & Obo against the revamped Carolina Offensive Line should be a good battle.

I truly like our secondary in this matchup!! Talib, Peters, Johnson, NRC, Weddle and Rapp....goodness!

Can’t let ‘em run it down our throats though.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I am worried about a slow start or fumbles due to no starters in the preseason. We will need our D to step up while our O knocks off the rust. Not worried about our pass D. Looking for an improved run D so our offense can get the ball a lot and work out the rust. Rams 27 17.

IE Rams

Pro Bowler
As usual, I'll be a nervous wreck Sunday morning... my gut says they'll win... the numbers say they'll win and - on paper - they should win.

But, until a few series are under my belt, it's the same as always... man, I'm getting too old for this :)
I'm the same Rmfnlt. I'll be extremely nervous starting Saturday night and a wreck Sunday morning. I need to see the starters in action for a few series before I can relax a bit, provided they are fairly sharp. If I recall, they were not sharp in the first half in last seasons opening game, but improved later. Panthers are a good team that can win on any Sunday. Wish we go to start against the Dolphins or Bengals (shehags lucked out).

:ROFLMAO: You guys aren't alone. I don't care who we play. I'm always a wreck on Game Day, and am convinced we're gonna lose. Just a neurotic, nattering nabob of negativity I am.

That's one reason I need this forum--for you all to tell me to chill and drink a beer or smoke a J, making things all good :)

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Los Angeles Rams at Carolina Panthers odds, picks and best bets
usatsi_12307787-e1562775826349.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | September 4, 2019

The Carolina Panthers (0-0) open their 2019 season at home, playing host to the defending NFC champion Los Angeles Rams (0-0). Kickoff from Bank of America Stadium is set for Sunday at 1 p.m. ET.
Panther QB Cam Newton is healthy after suffering a foot sprain in the preseason, Rams RB Todd Gurley is ready to go and QB Jared Goffjust got paid, so this should be one of the better Week 1 matchups – especially with the Rams traveling across the country for a dreaded early-window kickoff.
Los Angeles Rams at Carolina Panthers: Week 1 preview, betting trends and notes

• The Rams are 4-0 against the spread in their last four games against NFC opponents.
  • Los Angeles is 2-0 in Week 1 under head coach Sean McVay, winning its last two season openers by a total score of 79-22.
  • The Panthers are 4-1 ATS in their last five Week 1 games and 9-4 ATS in their last 13 games at Bank of America Stadium.
  • The Panthers have won six of their last seven games against the Rams, most recently beating them 13-10 in 2016.
WIN YOUR FANTASY FOOTBALL LEAGUE: TheHuddle.com has helped people just like you win their league for over 20 years. This year, it’s your turn to win! Subscribe Now: Use code “sbw19” to take $10 off.
Discount valid for new TheHuddle subscribers through 9/14/19.
  • The Rams are 0-5 ATS in their last five games on the road against the Panthers and 1-6-1 ATS in their last eight games overall against Carolina.
  • Newton is 12-13 in his career in September with 34 touchdown passes and 23 interceptions.
  • The under is 6-1 in the Rams’ last seven road games and 5-1 in the last six games between the Rams and Panthers.
Los Angeles Rams at Carolina Panthers: Odds, betting lines and prediction
Odds courtesy of playMGM; for a full-set of today’s sports betting odds, access them at USA TODAY Sports. Lines last updated Wednesday at 11:30 a.m. Eastern.
Prediction
Despite having to travel across the country for an early 1 p.m. ET start, the Rams are clearly the better team in this one. Gurley should see his normal usage, while DL Aaron Donald will give the Panthers’ offensive line fits on the interior.
Rams 27, Panthers 20
Moneyline (?)
The Rams were 13-3 SU last season and there’s little reason to believe they can’t handle the Panthers on the road. They’re the pick at -150, which is a favorable line for the defending NFC champions.
Against the Spread (?)
Surprisingly, the Rams are only 2.5-point favorites, which is a small spread for a team that won 13 games last season and has no significant injuries. They’ve gotten off to hot starts under McVay, too, even after resting starters in the preseason. The play is Rams -2.5 at -110.
Over/Under (?)
As explosive as the Rams offense is, there might be some rust to knock off. Go with the UNDER (49.5, -110), though it’ll be close. These two teams can erupt for 30 points in any given week, but the Week 1 jitters should be a factor.

Lotta irrelevant disinformation in that write up

However, opening the season against the Carolina Panthers...on the road, presents a very tall order

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Panthers borrow from Patriots’ Super Bowl game plan vs. Rams

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — The Panthers have pored over game tape from last year’s Super Bowl looking for ways to shut down Rams quarterback Jared Goff and the Rams’ high-powered offense in Week 1.
Hard to blame them.

Los Angeles averaged more than 30 points per game during the regular season and rolled to the NFC championship before New England designed a game plan limiting the Rams to three points on football’s biggest stage.

“To see that game versus the Patriots, you see a humbled offense,” Panthers safety Tre Boston said of New England’s 13-3 win. “You see an offense that is used to scoring points and getting down the field, and (Bill) Belichick and that defense did a great job of containing them and understanding what they like to do and not allowing them to do it. We have to do the same thing.”

Boston said that means understanding how and why the Rams run motion — and immediately comprehending and countering it. “They want your eyes in different places and they want you to think a little bit longer than you need to,” Boston said.

Panthers wide receiver Chris Hogan was with the Patriots last season and said he watched the defense spend two weeks working on ways to pressure Goff into throws he doesn’t want to make. Goff was sacked four times in the Super Bowl and finished 19 of 38 for 229 yards with one interception.

Hogan said the goal was to “try to get in his face and get him off his spot.”Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly sees that as a key on Sunday, too. "However you can make him uncomfortable is the way to do it,” Kuechly said of Goff, who signed a $110 contract extension earlier this week. “If you’re a quarterback and you sit back there and sling to the same spot every time, it’s easy. But with him if you can push him off his spot, that’s when it is harder for him.”
The Panthers were 27th in the league in sacks last season, but have switched to a 3-4 defense and will look to apply pressure with Mario Addison and rookie Brian Burns working at outside linebacker.
Things to watch Sunday between the Rams and Panthers:

CAM’S DEEP BALLS
Panthers quarterback Cam Newton was hindered by a right shoulder injury that severely limited his ability to throw the ball deep in the second half of last season. Offensive coordinator Norv Turner said Newton is healthy now and that “it’s exciting to have him where he can make those deep throws.” He hopes an occasional deep ball will open up things underneath the coverage and keep the Rams from stacking the box as many teams did against Carolina last season due to Newton’s lack of arm strength. Newton was not listed on the team’s injury report this week after suffering a mid-foot sprain in the preseason.

NEW LINE OF PROTECTION

The Rams’ biggest area of uncertainty is the offensive line, where center Brian Allen and left guard Joseph Noteboom will make their first career starts in Charlotte. The 2018 draft picks spent last season backing up John Sullivan and Rodger Saffold, two stalwarts of the Rams’ remarkably consistent line over coach Sean McVay’s two seasons. Allen and Noteboom didn’t even get a chance to play in the preseason, sitting out along with almost all of the Rams’ starters. The Panthers’ defensive front is formidable, but Allen isn’t worried: “Starting right off the bat with a defensive line like we’re going to play is a good test right out of the gate to get us ready for the season.”

OLD HEADS

The game will mark the Rams debuts of linebacker Clay Matthews and safety Eric Weddle, who both returned to their native Southern California in the offseason after decorated NFL careers elsewhere. Both will be immediate starters for the Rams, with Matthews taking over at outside linebacker and Weddle replacing Super Bowl starter Lamarcus Joyner. Matthews and Weddle both took likely less than they could have made elsewhere to pursue a championship in LA. “I can’t wait to finally get out there with my brothers,” said Weddle, who sat out the entire preseason along with Matthews and almost every Rams starter.

SLYE ON THE FLY

If the game comes down to a winning kick, the Panthers will have to rely on untested rookie Joey Slye . Slye replaces veteran Graham Gano, who went on injured reserve last week. Slye’s accuracy (72.2 was an issue at Virginia Tech, but he kicked well in the preseason, making 7 of 8 field goals, including all three attempts from beyond 50 yards. But how will Slye perform under pressure?

STOPPING DONALD

Turner said it is vitally important the Panthers know exactly where Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald is at all times. Donald has won back-to-back NFC Defensive Player of the Year awards. Turner called him a “unique player” who’s going to disrupt the offense at times and make plays, but added “the thing you have to do is not leave him in a position where he is going to make a play that turns out to be a disaster for you.”

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Last year the Rams won their first two games against the Raiders and Cardinals. Both teams were bottom feeders so the Rams were doubted. This year they have the opportunity to silence the talking heads early if they come out and beat the Panthers Saints and Browns like we know they can.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
"understanding what they like to do and not allowing them to do it. We have to do the same thing.”

Something tells me doing what somebody had success with against us last season isn't a smart strategy....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

The Los Angeles Rams released their first injury report of the 2019 season after practice on Wednesday and it’s as clean as it gets. Not a single player was listed on the report, meaning everyone was a full-participant in practice. That includes Todd Gurley, who has been on an every-other-day plan this offseason.

It’s good to see he wasn’t limited at all due to his lingering knee issue.

Rams' first injury report of 2019 is looking cleeeeean pic.twitter.com/dU80v3hG5f
— Cameron DaSilva (@camdasilva) September 5, 2019

The Panthers’ side wasn’t as spotless as Bruce Irvin and Greg Little were non-participants Wednesday.The Rams take on the Panthers on the road this Sunday at 1 p.m. ET.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Rams at Panthers: 5 key matchups to watch in Week 1

By: Cameron DaSilva | 8 hours ago
USATSI_11920207.jpg

Robert Hanashiro-USA TODAY Sports

Football is a game of matchups and there will be no lack of great ones this Sunday when the Rams Rams and Panthers square off in the season opener. No matter which team is on offense, there are intriguing one-on-one battles between these two teams.

Some are more important than others, of course, and these five could very well decide the outcome of the game.

LB Cory Littleton vs. RB Christian McCaffrey
This is a critical matchup in the game and one that could determine whether the Rams win or lose. Littleton has had trouble in man coverage against running backs in the past, getting beat fairly often by some of the better receiving backs in the NFL. That’s to be expected, so the Rams shouldn’t put him on an island against McCaffrey – who’s part running back, part wide receiver.
Littleton also has to stuff McCaffrey in the running game, too, which is no easy task. The Panthers offense goes through their young running back and that shouldn’t change this weekend. Littleton has to be on top of his game.

C Brian Allen vs. NT Dontari Poe
usatsi_12829592.jpg

Allen has never made a start in the NFL and he’ll be thrown to the fire on Sunday against one of the most athletic nose tackles in football. Poe is going to give Allen fits with his quickness and speed, while also possessing the power you expect from a 3-4 nose tackle.

This is an extremely tough test for the first-year starter in Allen and if he can’t hold his own on the interior, it’s going to be a long day for Jared Goff and Todd Gurley. The Panthers’ defensive front – which features Gerald McCoy, Kawann Short, Brian Burns and Mario Addison – presents a lot of challenges for the Rams offensive line, and double-teaming any of those players will be hard to do.

S Eric Weddle/John Johnson vs. TE Greg Olsen
GettyImages-1074303410.jpg

(Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)

Olsen remains a focal point in the Panthers offense, providing Cam Newton with a big target between the numbers. Now healthy, Olsen should see his regular playing time and share of looks in the passing game, which puts Weddle and Johnson at the forefront defensively.

Expect both to get some time covering Olsen, with Taylor Rapp possibly factoring into the mix. It’s hard to say which team has the advantage in this matchup, but given the talent Los Angeles has at safety, it might lean the Rams’ way. Weddle and Johnson are just that good.

DT Aaron Donald vs. LG Greg Van Roten
usatsi_13127072.jpg

(AP Photo/Kelvin Kuo)

Donald will primarily rush against Van Roten, but he’ll see a lot of help from Daryl Williams and Matt Paradis. The Panthers must send extra blockers Donald’s way because it’s unreasonable to expect Van Roten to lock down the two-time Defensive Player of the Year on his own.

This is clearly a favorable matchup for the Rams and as we’ve seen in the past, Los Angeles typically wins when Donald makes plays in the opposing backfield. Unlike the last two Week 1 games, Donald should have at least one sack against the Panthers this weekend.

WR Brandin Cooks vs. CB Donte Jackson
usatsi_12829632.jpg

Jackson has the speed to hang with Cooks on the outside, but that doesn’t mean the Panthers will trust him to cover the Rams wideout all game long. Jackson will get help over the top with one of the safeties because of the speed Cooks possesses and Jared Goff’s desire to push the ball downfield to his receiver.

The Rams have favorable matchups across the board against the Panthers’ corners, so Goff should have some success when given time in the pocket. Don’t be surprised if Cooks is targeted 10-plus times in this one.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Los Angeles Rams at Carolina Panthers: Q&A with Cat Scratch Reader

Getting the inside info from Cat Scratch Reader, the SB Nation community for Carolina Panthers fans.

By 3k@3k_ Sep 6, 2019, 2:00pm CDT

Carolina Panthers QB Cam Newton walks onto the field prior to the Week 9 game against the Los Angeles Rams at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, Nov. 6, 2016.

Carolina Panthers QB Cam Newton walks onto the field prior to the Week 9 game against the Los Angeles Rams at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, Nov. 6, 2016. Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports

The Los Angeles Rams open the 2019 regular season by traveling to face the Carolina Panthers in Week 1. It’s a tough test, but given that the entire TST staff is predicting a Rams win I think we’re all feeling good about this one.
To get a better sense of the Panthers and how they’re looking coming into 2019 after a disastrous denouement in 2018, I linked up with Walker Clement from Cat Scratch Reader, the SB Nation community for Panthers fans.
I know it’s not the most fun stretch in Panthers history, but I just want to go back to 2018 to kick things off. That seven-game losing streak from Week 10-16 and the correlating deterioration of QB Cam Newton’s shoulder effectively ruined a very promising start. Are you concerned that even with Newton ailing you guys couldn’t pull more Ws out of some of those games and what that could mean for 2019? Is there anything from that stretch that could affect 2019 positively or negatively? Did that stretch affect the offseason plans and the 2019 NFL Draft class (looking at you, QB Will Grier...)?
The Panthers have always been a weird team with Ron Rivera and Cam Newton. When they are talented, they play to the absolute limit of their floor. When they are more holes than roster, they play to the ceiling. Last year, they were talented. They are more so this year. Panthers fans are understandably nervous. That said, it all comes back to Newton’s health. Everything else from 2018 is either hail in the maelstrom that will fall as our season falls apart or nothing worth remembering as Newton leads the team to new heights.
The decision to draft Grier comes back to the need for a backup quarterback that predates Newton’s most recent iteration of shoulder injury. Rivera and General Manager Marty Hurney have been looking for a long term back up to Newton since they realized Derek Andersonwas eligible for Social Security. Grier would have been the Panthers pick in the third round of the 2019 NFL draft whether or not Newton was injured.
Okay, on to 2019. We spent our preseason sitting most of the starters and starter-adjacent players, though we did lose ILB Micah Kiser to a pec injury. Other than that, I’m not sure there was much to take away from our preseason. What about you guys? Was there anything you gleaned from your preseason contests that could clue us in to what to expect from the Panthers in 2019? I know you guys covered the value (or lack thereof) of the preseason on your podcast, but having watched very little of your preseason action I didn’t know if there were any takeaways of sincere import.
Besides the all-important take away that Newton might have a functional throwing shoulder again, the Panthers didn’t learn an awful lot in the preseason this year. The offense was kept so vanilla as to be kept off the field for the most part and the defense was kind of average. The team may have uncovered a couple of talented guys in linebacker Jordan Kunaszykand running back Reggie Bonnafon, but they won’t have a grand impact on this season barring exceptional circumstances. The preseason, as it turns out, is the preseason. Caring about, as the Panthers did, doesn’t mean you are going to learn anything from it, as the Panthers didn’t.
In recent years, you guys have come out cranking on defense to start the regular season. You kept the Cowboys to 8 points last year. The 2017 San Francisco 49ers kicked their 2017 season off scoring a whopping 3 points against you guys. The 21-20 loss to the Denver Broncos in 2016 is the anomaly, because in 2015 you started off with a 20-9 win at the Jacksonville Jaguars. Is that the expectation headed into 2019? It’s not as if you guys are wildly better on defense ESPECIALLY in that 2015 season when you led the NFL in scoring. What is it about the good starts defensively?
Defense is Rivera’s stock in trade. There have been years where he honestly seemed to trust his defense to score more than his offense. I’ll bet anything that he takes a stronger hand in developing the defensive gameplan for Week 1 than he does for any other week. At least, I would have made that bet in years passed. This year, Rivera is debuting a new 3-4 defensive scheme for the Panthers and taking over from second year defensive coordinator Eric Washington as the play caller. That could mean any number of things, but the smart money is on a defensive fireworks show to rival even Aaron Donald’s efforts.
As for that Broncos game, don’t put too much credit in that. That game was marked by bad blood as a Super Bowl rematch just six months after the original. Imagine the Rams playing the Patriots this Sunday instead and trying to draw conclusions about the rest of the season. The Panthers and Rams don’t have any real blood, good or bad, between them. We should be in line to see a story book match up between an offensive prodigy and a guy who thinks on the opponents side of the field is a good idea.
Let’s talk about new cats. Who are the first-year Panthers that are going to make a difference this year? I know you guys had some key free agent additions, but the buzz I’ve been hearing about Brian Burns... How are the rookies looking? Any UDFAs of note?
The rookies that Carolina is excited about are, as mentioned, Burns and a rookie left tackle, Greg Little out of Ole Miss. Burns is in line to possible start at outside linebacker pending the status of Bruce Irvin’s hamstring. Little has spent the last few weeks in the concussion protocol and is doubtful to play on Sunday. That outside linebacker position for Burns is largely a pass rushing position in the Panthers new 3-4 defensive scheme that I mentioned earlier. The Panthers focus this offseason was to get faster on defense, and putting Burns on the edge with his incredible first step and quickness is how they plan to accomplish that goal. Burns tied for third in the NFL with four sacks during the preseason, all during limited action in each game.
As for UDFA rookies, something will have gone terribly wrong if any of their names come up in big moments on Sunday. The Panthers roster is brimming with second and third year talent, but light on rookies after Burns. Guys like Christian McCaffrey (already a superstar), D.J. Moore, Curtis Samuel, Donte Jackson, Efe Obada, and Ian Thomas have earned all the buzz so far. That is a large part of why the Panthers are involved in as many dark horse contender conversations as they are. A few breakout performances here and there puts this team in a whole different light.
Forget a score prediction or what not. Let’s look deeper into the season. After this one, you guys have a short week to host the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Thursday Night Football before a two-game road swing facing the Arizona Cardinals and Houston Texans. Aside from a win, what would you like to see from the Panthers? What would make you feel better moving forward into 2019? What silver linings in a loss would have you feeling better about this season than you might now?
Week 1 can be full of shenanigans for every team. This is the time of year where the Jags can beat the Pats. Win or lose, the Panthers need to walk away from Sunday’s game having proven that they can rush the passer with this faster, younger defense that they’ve built. They need to prove that Newton’s throwing shoulder can survive a whole game. That doesn’t mean he can chuck it 80 yards out of the back of his own end zone, though it wouldn’t hurt, so much as it means he can throw thirty passes a game and put as much oomph on the thirtieth pass as he did the first. Basically, they need to prove they belong in the NFL.
That said, the Panthers also kind of need a win here. The Rams under Sean McVay have had no trouble establishing themselves as one of the big boys of the league. Rivera’s tenure, meanwhile, has had as many ups as it has had downs. To give you context, the Panthers have never in their 25 year history posted back to back winning seasons. Under Rivera, they have managed to win the NFC South three times in a row. The middle year in that streak was a 7-8-1 division crown built purely out of chaos. Rivera’s Panthers have lived in that chaos during his eight years in Carolina. It’s time he proved capable of rising above it. That means beating good teams as well as the ones you are supposed to beat.

fearsomefour

Legend
A lot of interesting things to watch in this game.
How the O plays as a unit after zero preseason snaps. As we saw with GB and Chicago, the timing can be off.
Allen And Noteboom will get a lot of my attention.
On D the young DL guys and how the LB and DBs are rotated will be of interest.
Tough game to start.