Rams at Connor Cooks Pro day.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-cook-meets-with-browns-rams-49ers-at-pro-day

From accuracy to leadership, there are scouting questions about former Michigan State QB Connor Cook. NFL teams were trying to track down the answers Wednesday at MSU's pro day.

The San Francisco 49ers, Los Angeles Rams and Cleveland Browns each interviewed Cook in East Lansing, Mich., according to private quarterback coach George Whitfield, who is working with Cook. To varying degrees, all three teams have a need at quarterback and figure to have interest in drafting a signal-caller. The 49ers' need could become more pressing if trade speculation about QB Colin Kaepernick comes to fruition.

The Dallas Cowboys, who could use a young quarterback for an apprentice role behind the aging Tony Romo, have arranged a workout with Cook, as well. The Browns are clearly in the greatest need of those teams at the position, and could need a rookie to step in immediately this fall.

NFL clubs have roughly six weeks before the draft to complete their draft boards. Pro days, private workouts and hosting prospects on visits to team facilities are key components of that process.

The general consensus on Cook's draft status is that he falls somewhere between the draft's most highly regarded quarterbacks -- Jared Goff of Cal and Carson Wentz of North Dakota State -- and a group of prospects considered more in need of development, such as Cardale Jones of Ohio State and Christian Hackenberg of Penn State. That could mean any number of draft-day outcomes for Cook, and all the more reason why Wednesday's pro-day performance was an important step in his evaluation.

Cook told NFL Media draft expert Mike Mayock he "felt great" during his throwing session, noting scouts wanted to see how well he could drive his throws downfield.

RamBill

Legend
Teams Worried About QB's Connor Cook’s Attitude

Due to questions surrounding his attitude, quarterback Connor Cook won’t be drafted ahead of Jared Goff and Carson Wentz, but experience with a pro-style offense plays into his favor. Josh Norris and Mike Florio talk about Cook.

Watch Cook Discussion

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Would be an excellent 4th round #111 selection for us. That's only because we don't have a 5th rd'er.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'd rather see what we have in Mannion than go after Cook.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Would be an excellent 4th round #111 selection for us. That's only because we don't have a 5th rd'er.
Maybe we could trade down just a little, w/ our #45 pick, and get a 5th from someone!? We have had some pretty good luck with our late round picks!(y):shades:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Maybe we could trade down just a little, w/ our #45 pick, and get a 5th from someone!? We have had some pretty good luck with our late round picks!(y):shades:

If I could get close to Snead for a in-depth conversation my first question to him would be ...why in the world do you not just draft a couple of QB's on day 3 from this point on??? They could end up getting the next Tom Brady type QB this way & cheap by accident.

Snead & Fisher have had 20 third day selections in 4 drafts and they have only use 1 of the 20 on a QB who was Garrett Gilbert? Of those non QB selections 13 are no longer on this team. 2 of those 20 picks are starters for this team in 2016 (EJ Gaines/Cody Wichmann). Sure seem we would stay out of QB HELL :mad:by this practice.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Connor Cook is gonna be a solid pro for sure - I hope he's out pick and if we get him in the second that would be insanely good

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Some think he goes at the end of round 1. Maybe even the Broncos take him.

If I could get close to Snead for a in-depth conversation my first question to him would be ...why in the world do you not just draft a couple of QB's on day 3 from this point on??? They could end up getting the next Tom Brady type QB this way & cheap by accident.

Because how often does Brady come along? Brady was a fluke. He was was downplayed at Michigan in favor of more hyped recruits. He struggled to keep his job but shouldn't have. I remember watching him and he was a very good college QB. So he was under the radar. That was like 15 years ago. How many 6th round superstar QBs have their been since? None.

I may be overvaluing modern tools, but it seems that draft analysis has improved over the last decade and that a guy like Brady going unnoticed by most teams is not very likely anymore. Throwing picks at the late rounders every year would be a waste IMO. Taking one every other year if you really liked his potential? Sure why not roll the dice.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Some think he goes at the end of round 1. Maybe even the Broncos take him.
Good (y) they have already won their share of SB's. Let them go through a SB dry spell like decade guaranteed with a Cook selection.

Some third day QB's :
Kirk Cousins
Kyle Orton
Luke McCown
Aaron Brooks
Landry Jones
Brett Hundley
AJ McCarron
Zach Mettenberger
Tyrod Taylor
Matt Flynn
Tyler Thigpen
Ryan Fitzpatrick

Here's some 3rd rd draft picks:
Russell Wilson
Josh McCown
Matt Schaub
Charlie Whitehurst
Mike Glennon
Garrett Grayson
Sean Mannion
Colt McCoy
Nick Foles

Here's some 2nd rd picks:
Derek Carr
Jimmy Garoppolo
Brock Osweiler
Andy Dalton
Drew Stanton
Geno Smith
Colin Kaepernick
Drew Brees

Last edited:

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Makes too much sense for Denver at #31 pick...He will be taken before pick 43 mark it down boys!!!!

WestCoastRam

Legend
I am not a fan of Cook but I will say that I think he could succeed if he goes to the right spot, matures quickly and improves his accuracy.

That's the thing, there's a lot of "if's" with him.

"If" we pick him, I'll definitely root for him though.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...fl-outlook-polarizing-qb-has-wide-draft-range

Connor Cook's NFL outlook? Polarizing QB has wide draft range
  • bucky_brooks-110726_65.jpg
  • By Bucky Brooks
  • NFL Media analyst
  • Published: March 15, 2016 at 01:22 p.m.
  • Updated: March 16, 2016 at 04:22 p.m.

The pre-draft process is an intel-gathering mission on prospective employees. And although certain prospects tend to attract groupthink in the scouting community, others generate the varied opinions that come from 32 different franchises with 32 unique approaches to talent evaluation. Former NFL player and scout Bucky Brooks is taking a closer at some of the most notable -- and polarizing -- prospects in the 2016 NFL Draft, to determine draft range and team fits.

Click here for all of the prospects in this Ceiling/Floor series.

Today's subject: Michigan State quarterback Connor Cook
CEILING: Borderline first/second round -- Denver Broncos (No. 31 overall), Cleveland Browns (No. 32), Dallas Cowboys (No. 34), San Diego Chargers (No. 35), New York Giants (No. 40), Chicago Bears (No. 41).

FLOOR: Bottom of the third round -- Pittsburgh Steelers (No. 89), Arizona Cardinals (No. 92), Denver Broncos (No. 94).

COOK'S PRO DAY: March 16.

2016 NFL DRAFT

What I like
Cook is a classic dropback passer with intriguing physical tools and a winning pedigree. He leaves Michigan State as the winningest quarterback in school history, which is significant, considering the number of current NFL quarterbacks (Kirk Cousins, Brian Hoyer and Drew Stanton) who have played for the Spartans. Cook is a rhythm passer capable of delivering strikes to every area of the field. He not only throws a tight-rope fastball with zip and velocity, but he also shows the ability to throw with touch, timing and anticipation. Cook's capacity to change ball speed and trajectory makes him an ideal fit for a quick-rhythm system that features a number of throws down the seams or between the hashes at intermediate range. In addition, he makes NFL throws to the boundary on "Okies" and comebacks. With Cook adept at making throws outside the numbers, opponents must defend the entire field, from sideline to sideline.

As a game manager, Cook scores high marks for his judgment and ball security. He finished his collegiate career with a 71:22 touchdown-to-interception ratio as a three-year starter for the Spartans. Although numbers can be deceiving, based on the style of play, the fact that Cook directed a pro-style offense that featured "big-boy throws" instead of lay-ups (bubble screens and quicks) speaks volumes about his ability to play winning football from the pocket. In the clutch, Cook has shown exceptional poise, having led the Spartans to six fourth-quarter comeback victories as a starter.

Overall, Cook's strong résumé will make him a hot commodity for teams looking for a "bus driver" with the requisite traits needed to lead them to the winner's circle.

Why the range?
For all of the positive traits Cook displays on the field, scouts question his accuracy and ball-placement skills. He never completed 60 percent of his passes in a season at MSU -- well below the standard for elite QB prospects. On tape, Cook routinely misfires intermediate and vertical throws that should be easy completions for a talented passer. He must make those throws at the next level to help his team sustain drives under his direction.

Questions also persist about Cook's personality and leadership skills, since he wasn't appointed a permanent team captain by his teammates at any point during his tenure. While Sparty cohorts have given Cook positive reviews as a leader since the end of last season, the lack of recognition as the team captain raises red flags in the scouting community. With additional reports regarding Cook's prickly personality and suspect people skills, scouts are delving deep into his character to see if he can handle the responsibility of being a franchise quarterback.

Where would he excel?
Cook is ideally suited to play for a team that already has a strong supporting cast in place. He has learned how to play winning football during his time at Michigan State -- and that experience would help him guide an NFL team to the winner's circle as a game manager early in his career (not necessarily as a rookie).

Teams like the Broncos, Cowboys and Bears would rank as ideal fits, based on their commitment to playing complementary football (strong running game and stingy defense). Cook understands how to play within those guidelines following a three-year run as the Spartans' starter under Mark Dantonio -- in East Lansing, he was expected to take care of the ball and act as a selective playmaker.

If placed in the right situation, Cook will not only win, but he could develop into an upper-echelon quarterback who steadies a franchise for years to come.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Connor Cook might be a head fake move by S&F to draw attention away from a possible trade up move for a QB.

OR...

He could be a legitimate Plan B candidate.

OR...

Who knows?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Connor Cook might be a head fake move by S&F to draw attention away from a possible trade up move for a QB.

OR...

He could be a legitimate Plan B candidate.

OR...

Who knows?

Who knows?
Well maybe legitimate Plan A candidate -- but like with Janoris and Rodney what S/F say is plan A isn't really Plan A at all

From your selections I'll take the second "He could be a legitimate Plan B candidate"

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
XM NFL radio was all over him this week. Claiming his stock is rising.

@Rams43, who knows sounds about right.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Think this guy could be better than people think. His prickly people skills are a bit Jay Cutler or maybe even A Rod (a bit cocky and standoffish) and it puts people off. I'd go after him in the third if he's on the board after taking BPA in our first three picks.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Think this guy could be better than people think. His prickly people skills are a bit Jay Cutler or maybe even A Rod (a bit cocky and standoffish) and it puts people off. I'd go after him in the third if he's on the board after taking BPA in our first three picks.

I like everything you said except this idea he's lasting until the 3rd.... He's not getting out of round 1