Rams at Browns: 4 Things to Watch/Remember (101 ESPN)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. For live updates and analysis throughout the game, follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

Rams Will Be Vanilla in Their Approach

As head coach Jeff Fisher mentioned earlier this week, the St. Louis Rams will serve up the type of largely vanilla attack that one would expect in an exhibition opener on the road against the Cleveland Browns tonight. Much of the offense and defensive playbook will be kept tightly under wraps.

“We’re just going to carry some basic things into the game. We have to prepare for their defensive front out of fairness to our guys and the quarterbacks, so we’ll do that and then try to keep things pretty simple and just play.”

With that in mind, it is important to remember that – if things go awry – very little in the way of game-planning was performed.

In addition, the results of these games offer little to nothing in helping to accurately project what teams will or will not succeed or fail this fall. Case in point: We have watched Super Bowl teams come out of the preseason without a win, and we have seen some horrible teams – like the 2011 Rams – go undefeated in preseason play.

Whether the result of the game is a win, a loss or a draw, it’s best to avoid connecting dots from a team’s preseason performance to its coming regular-season record. Last season, for example, some fans overreacted to the exhibition defeat at Indianapolis. With almost all things preseason, it is best to handle the good and the bad with a grain of salt … or maybe the entire shaker.

First Look at Rookies and Free-Agent Acquisitions

Every year, one of my favorite aspects of the Rams’ first preseason game is getting a chance to watch rookies and free-agent acquisitions for the first time in live game action.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/08/08/rams-at-browns-preseason-primer-what-to-watch-in-the-exhibition-opener/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/08/08/ram ... on-opener/</a>

RustyRay

Rookie
Thanks Shane, will be following your twitter feed while I watch the game on the NFL.com preseason thing.

Will be interested to hear your opinions on the goings on watching live.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Yep, thanks for posting this Shane. Up to your usual quality.

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RustyRay said:
Thanks Shane, will be following your twitter feed while I watch the game on the NFL.com preseason thing.

Will be interested to hear your opinions on the goings on watching live.

Thanks, RustyRay. Hope you enjoyed my comments and analysis.

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
Yep, thanks for posting this Shane. Up to your usual quality.

Big thank you my friend. Means a lot.