Rams are seeking 8-8 finish/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams are seeking 8-8 finish
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_b2feae1f-df7e-58e1-94bf-4bf168386c48.html

SANTA CLARA, CALIF. • Even with a victory Sunday, the Rams may spend the offseason wondering about that blown 10-point lead in the fourth quarter in Baltimore. That dropped touchdown pass by Lance Kendricks against Pittsburgh. Or Jeff Fisher’s decision to go for 2 after that first touchdown in Minnesota.

Because when the dust settles on the 2015 season Sunday evening, the Rams could very well fall just one victory short of their first playoff berth since 2004.

No matter what happens in the season finale against San Francisco (4-11), the Rams’ late-season revival will be a case of too little too late in terms of postseason play. And in that sense 2015 can only be looked at as another disappointing season.

But however trivial it may seem to some fans and observers, the Rams still have some goals in mind. Such as a 5-1 finish in the NFC West, their first season sweep of the 49ers since 2004, a four-game winning streak to end the season. And an 8-8 finish.

The Rams haven’t gone 5-1 in division plays since ‘04. They haven’t had a four-game winning streak since 2003, their last division championship team. That 12-4 squad actually won seven in a row at one point, only to be upset by Carolina in the NFC playoff semifinals in double-overtime.

An 8-8 finish would be more meaningful, because it would represent the Rams’ best finish since 2006. That Scott Linehan-coached team overcame a 1-7 stretch in the middle of the season by winning its last three games — against Oakland, Washington, and Minnesota — to finish 8-8.

Eight straight losing seasons have followed, including the infamous 15-65 stretch from 2007 through 2011 — the worst five-year record by any team in NFL history. The eight consecutive losing seasons is the longest current streak in football. All 31 other teams have had at least one .500 finish, if not a winning record, since 2006.

So yes, there is a difference between 7-9 and 8-8 for the Rams. An 8-8 finish would have some meaning to the organization.

“Yeah, it does,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “You always want to finish up on a winning note. Once you get past this weekend, there’s only one team that ends on a winning note.”

And that’s the Super Bowl champion.

“And so this weekend’s important for those that don’t have a chance to get into the postseason, to win a football game and jump into the offseason and the (offseason) program with some momentum,” Fisher said. “Unfortunately, I’ve been there a couple times before and it paid dividends the next year.”

The Rams haven’t won a season finale since that 2006 season under Linehan, a 41-21 victory over Minnesota. The energy was high in the locker room after that game; the players and coaches brimming with confidence about what lay ahead.

Alas, the Rams finished 3-13 in 2007, and after an 0-4 start in ‘08 Linehan was gone. So there are no guarantees.

Even so, the 2015 Rams are buying in. In part, because the prospect of 8-8 sure looks a lot better than what might have been. A month ago, a 5-11 or 4-12 finish seemed almost inevitable.

“We’re not going to the playoffs,” said defensive end Chris Long, the longest-tenured Ram. “But not everybody in this league plays it out to the end, and not everybody in this league cares when everybody says there’s nothing on the line. This locker room is totally different than that. So it’s a blessing to be in this room.”

To the point where some players wish they had a little more regular season left — to wedge their way into the postseason. Where’s that 18-game schedule when you need it?

“Oh man. Anything to get us in the playoffs,” wide receiver Kenny Britt said. “A couple more games to help us out, we sure would want to take those games. But now, we’re just gonna get ready for the next one.”

The last one for this season, and quite possibly the last one for the Rams as a St. Louis-based franchise. Tucked away in the semi-remote Napa Valley this week, far away from the flooding in St. Louis, the relocation topic didn’t come up this week.

But as the players have said all season, that’s out of their control. The only thing they can control is what’s in front of them. This week that happens to be how they perform at 3:25 p.m. (St. Louis time) at Levi’s Stadium against the 49ers.

“I believe it’s important from a confidence standpoint to be doing it right at the end of the year,” defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said. “I was pretty hard, pretty stern, about this last quarter of the season about being 4-0. We wouldn’t be in a position right now to go do that, to be 4-0 in this last quarter, had we not taken care of business the first three times — the first three games in this last quarter of the season.”

Meaning victories over Detroit, Tampa Bay, and playoff-bound Seattle. Williams, who spoke with reporters after Thursday’s practice, said he saw encouraging signs from the team this week.

“I haven’t had to really worry about them in the meetings and how focused they’ve been in the meetings,” Williams said. “They’ve really practiced well. You can see the tempo of the practices.

“You can see the communication of the practices, and you also see that these guys like being around each other. That’s the fun part of it, because it is a real tight-knit fraternity.”

Which makes you wonder. If only Williams had spoken with the team at midseason. About going, say, 6-2, over the second half of the season.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
7 things to watch: Rams at 49ers
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_516ede21-4fd5-5c92-bbc8-a013f36e1b1a.html

'NINERS RUNNING ON EMPTY

Man, do the 49ers miss departed running back Frank Gore. The talented, but injury-prone Carlos Hyde made it through only seven games before a foot problem ended his season. Veteran Reggie Bush suffered a season-ending knee injury while stumbling out of bounds on the concrete edges of the Edward Jones Dome surface, in St. Louis, on Nov. 1. The ’Niners, who managed only 38 yards on 21 carries in that meeting with the Rams, will trot out some combination of former Australian rugby star Jarryd Hayne, retread DeJuan Harris, and rookie Kendall Gaskins.

ANQUAN THE GREAT

Anquan Boldin missed the first 49ers-Rams contest because of a hamstring injury but is to be on the field Sunday, one week after becoming the 13th player in NFL history with 1,000 career catches. He’s as tough and physical as they come at wide receiver and even with his skills starting to diminish at age 35, the Rams can’t afford to take him lightly. The ’Niners’ other top wideout, former Raven Torrey Smith, told Bay Area reporters recently that his 2015 season has been “terrible.” But his 602 yards receiving would lead the Rams, and his 21.5 yards per catch leads the league.

LIFE WITHOUT DAVIS

The day after the 27-6 loss to the Rams in what was Game 8 for the 49ers, the team traded veteran tight end Vernon Davis to Denver. Over the years, Davis has had some moments vs. the Rams, including five TD catches and a 118-yard game in 2011. So the Rams won’t miss his big frame running down the seam or in the red zone. His replacement, third-year man Vance McDonald, is coming off one of the most productive games of his young career — five catches for 61 yards and a TD vs. Detroit — but is nothing special.

GABBERT AT QB

QB Blaine Gabbert, the pride of Parkway West High and the University of Missouri, makes his eighth start for the 49ers in place of Colin Kaepernick. Gabbert is 2-5 in his starts and has thrown a modest six interceptions in 238 passes. But Gabbert has played it safe, throwing a lot of check-downs and underneath stuff, and the ’Niners are converting only 23.2 percent of their third downs with him under center. The Rams have been impressed by his improvisational skills and athleticism on scrambles.

HOLD THAT LINE

One of the biggest issues on San Francisco’s 31st ranked offense has been blocking, particularly pass-blocking. The ’Niners have yielded 52 sacks this season, a league-high total and just four short of a franchise record. A record, they’d obviously rather do without. Rookie Trent Brown made his first NFL start last week at right tackle, so this could be a matchup edge for Rams left defensive ends Williams Hayes (who had three sacks last week vs. Seattle) and Chris Long.

HOLD THAT LINE II

Meanwhile, the Rams’ offensive line has shown improvement over the past few weeks, and will start the same line combination for the fifth consecutive game in LT Greg Robinson, LG Garrett Reynolds, C Tim Barnes, RG Cody Wichmann and RT Rob Havenstein. Granted, the Rams don’t pass the ball a whole lot — in fact, they’re tied for the league low with Minnnesota (435 attempts). But they’ve yielded a league-low 18 sacks, an impressive accomplishment considering the inexperience and injuries on the O-line.

LIFE WITHOUT GURLEY

For the first time since Game 2, against Washington, the Rams will play a game without Todd Gurley (foot injury) at running back. In what has been a highly disappointing season for backup Tre Mason, this marks one last opportunity for the second-year pro to redeem himself. Benny Cunningham will figure into the mix, especially on passing downs. Rams coach Jeff Fisher also indicated undrafted rookie Malcolm Brown, promoted to the active roster from the practice squad this week, could see some action.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
What I am looking for today is how the team responds without Todd Gurley. I've never been a Tre Mason fan so I'm hoping to see more of Malcolm Brown who is far bigger at 5-11 225 and IMO has more upside, but maybe for all of Mason's pouting, he delivers today.

Also challenge for Offensive Coordinator or as Rob Boras says...A TE Coach calling plays on how he adjusts and if Case Keenum is called upon to pass more often. Mason & Cunningham do catch the football well, so one could surmise that more screen passes could be called today.

Gabbart will be a challenge with his legs, but if they keep him in the pocket, he should make a mistake and the 49ers have no running game, but the Rams will have to be careful because Nick Fairley is now on IR and some like Louis Trinca-Pasat so maybe we'll get to see if the undersized DT can make a play or two, but I like Matt Longacre better.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
What I am looking for today is how the team responds without Todd Gurley. I've never been a Tre Mason fan so I'm hoping to see more of Malcolm Brown who is far bigger at 5-11 225 and IMO has more upside, but maybe for all of Mason's pouting, he delivers today.

Also challenge for Offensive Coordinator or as Rob Boras says...A TE Coach calling plays on how he adjusts and if Case Keenum is called upon to pass more often. Mason & Cunningham do catch the football well, so one could surmise that more screen passes could be called today.

Gabbart will be a challenge with his legs, but if they keep him in the pocket, he should make a mistake and the 49ers have no running game, but the Rams will have to be careful because Nick Fairley is now on IR and some like Louis Trinca-Pasat so maybe we'll get to see if the undersized DT can make a play or two, but I like Matt Longacre better.

What don't you like about Mason? And all of his pouting? Where did you here that? Fisher mentioned how he's been great, and positive. But that's Fisher, so it means nothing. But he did hint that Brown might get some carries.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams should feast on the Niners O-line today. I'm hoping for at least 5-6 sacks. Mason and Keenum hopefully have big games too.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Rams should feast on the Niners O-line today. I'm hoping for at least 5-6 sacks. Mason and Keenum hopefully have big games too.

I was going to put a predict-the-sack post up, but with so many of our guys down, it's anyone's guess how many we'll get.

We should be able to pressure Gabbert, even with the injuries.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
the Rams still have some goals in mind. Such as a 5-1 finish in the NFC West, their first season sweep of the 49ers since 2004, a four-game winning streak to end the season. And an 8-8 finish.
This is something to smile about!! And build on!!(y):D

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rams are seeking 8-8 finish
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_b2feae1f-df7e-58e1-94bf-4bf168386c48.html

SANTA CLARA, CALIF. • Even with a victory Sunday, the Rams may spend the offseason wondering about that blown 10-point lead in the fourth quarter in Baltimore. That dropped touchdown pass by Lance Kendricks against Pittsburgh. Or Jeff Fisher’s decision to go for 2 after that first touchdown in Minnesota.

Because when the dust settles on the 2015 season Sunday evening, the Rams could very well fall just one victory short of their first playoff berth since 2004.

No matter what happens in the season finale against San Francisco (4-11), the Rams’ late-season revival will be a case of too little too late in terms of postseason play. And in that sense 2015 can only be looked at as another disappointing season.

But however trivial it may seem to some fans and observers, the Rams still have some goals in mind. Such as a 5-1 finish in the NFC West, their first season sweep of the 49ers since 2004, a four-game winning streak to end the season. And an 8-8 finish.

The Rams haven’t gone 5-1 in division plays since ‘04. They haven’t had a four-game winning streak since 2003, their last division championship team. That 12-4 squad actually won seven in a row at one point, only to be upset by Carolina in the NFC playoff semifinals in double-overtime.

An 8-8 finish would be more meaningful, because it would represent the Rams’ best finish since 2006. That Scott Linehan-coached team overcame a 1-7 stretch in the middle of the season by winning its last three games — against Oakland, Washington, and Minnesota — to finish 8-8.

Eight straight losing seasons have followed, including the infamous 15-65 stretch from 2007 through 2011 — the worst five-year record by any team in NFL history. The eight consecutive losing seasons is the longest current streak in football. All 31 other teams have had at least one .500 finish, if not a winning record, since 2006.

So yes, there is a difference between 7-9 and 8-8 for the Rams. An 8-8 finish would have some meaning to the organization.

“Yeah, it does,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “You always want to finish up on a winning note. Once you get past this weekend, there’s only one team that ends on a winning note.”

And that’s the Super Bowl champion.

“And so this weekend’s important for those that don’t have a chance to get into the postseason, to win a football game and jump into the offseason and the (offseason) program with some momentum,” Fisher said. “Unfortunately, I’ve been there a couple times before and it paid dividends the next year.”

The Rams haven’t won a season finale since that 2006 season under Linehan, a 41-21 victory over Minnesota. The energy was high in the locker room after that game; the players and coaches brimming with confidence about what lay ahead.

Alas, the Rams finished 3-13 in 2007, and after an 0-4 start in ‘08 Linehan was gone. So there are no guarantees.

Even so, the 2015 Rams are buying in. In part, because the prospect of 8-8 sure looks a lot better than what might have been. A month ago, a 5-11 or 4-12 finish seemed almost inevitable.

“We’re not going to the playoffs,” said defensive end Chris Long, the longest-tenured Ram. “But not everybody in this league plays it out to the end, and not everybody in this league cares when everybody says there’s nothing on the line. This locker room is totally different than that. So it’s a blessing to be in this room.”

To the point where some players wish they had a little more regular season left — to wedge their way into the postseason. Where’s that 18-game schedule when you need it?

“Oh man. Anything to get us in the playoffs,” wide receiver Kenny Britt said. “A couple more games to help us out, we sure would want to take those games. But now, we’re just gonna get ready for the next one.”

The last one for this season, and quite possibly the last one for the Rams as a St. Louis-based franchise. Tucked away in the semi-remote Napa Valley this week, far away from the flooding in St. Louis, the relocation topic didn’t come up this week.

But as the players have said all season, that’s out of their control. The only thing they can control is what’s in front of them. This week that happens to be how they perform at 3:25 p.m. (St. Louis time) at Levi’s Stadium against the 49ers.

“I believe it’s important from a confidence standpoint to be doing it right at the end of the year,” defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said. “I was pretty hard, pretty stern, about this last quarter of the season about being 4-0. We wouldn’t be in a position right now to go do that, to be 4-0 in this last quarter, had we not taken care of business the first three times — the first three games in this last quarter of the season.”

Meaning victories over Detroit, Tampa Bay, and playoff-bound Seattle. Williams, who spoke with reporters after Thursday’s practice, said he saw encouraging signs from the team this week.

“I haven’t had to really worry about them in the meetings and how focused they’ve been in the meetings,” Williams said. “They’ve really practiced well. You can see the tempo of the practices.

“You can see the communication of the practices, and you also see that these guys like being around each other. That’s the fun part of it, because it is a real tight-knit fraternity.”

Which makes you wonder. If only Williams had spoken with the team at midseason. About going, say, 6-2, over the second half of the season.
It's posts like this ^ that remind me why I ..... "DISLIKE JT!!"

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
What don't you like about Mason? And all of his pouting? Where did you here that? Fisher mentioned how he's been great, and positive. But that's Fisher, so it means nothing. But he did hint that Brown might get some carries.

Just a perception and his tweets after they drafted Gurley many had stated he had some issues with the pick and to me his play has not made me feel any differently. Just seems like his attitude is different from last year and I understand about being upset, but you suck it up and still be the best player you can be.

Mason lost weight to add quickness, but I have not seen that whatsoever, he's also fumbled on a few occasions as well, but this could be a big game for him in so many ways. The pouting again is just a perception besides other reports here and there about not handling the demotion well.

We will see today as not only will he be the primary option, but also he's playing against a team that is not known for stopping the run this year. I don't have much faith in him, but I'm hopeful he can play well today so the Rams can trade him because IMO I like Malcolm Brown much better.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's posts like this ^ that remind me why I ..... "DISLIKE JT!!"

I always liked Jim Thomas until this issue, but nobody never knows how they are going to react until you are under duress. Mike Tyson said everybody has a plan until they get hit in the mouth and in the military I always advised that you never know how good of a shot you are until the target shoots back...JT has taken some of this personally, but most people would react the same way in most cases.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Like another "Undersized DT" I like Trinca-Pasat's attitude, and want to see what he brings! Longacre hasn't shown me much yet. But they're both Rookies!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I always liked Jim Thomas until this issue, but nobody never knows how they are going to react until you are under duress. Mike Tyson said everybody has a plan until they get hit in the mouth and in the military I always advised that you never know how good of a shot you are until the target shoots back...JT has taken some of this personally, but most people would react the same way in most cases.
I'll agree with you on this point, I was a much better Shot in Combat, and after, than I was "Pre" Combat! Those weren't Bee's flying by my Ear's!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Like another "Undersized DT" I like Trinca-Pasat's attitude, and want to see what he brings! Longacre hasn't shown me much yet. But they're both Rookies!

True guess I just like the surname of Longacre.:sneaky:

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I was going to put a predict-the-sack post up, but with so many of our guys down, it's anyone's guess how many we'll get.

We should be able to pressure Gabbert, even with the injuries.
Three.....for Aaron Donald.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I believe today's game plays big for Mason future as a Ram. I agree with many here, that Mason has shown me very little this season other than he can fumble the ball at bad times. There is nothing pretty about a 2.9 yds per carry with 57 attempts for 163 yds. In terms of stats TA is our 2nd RB here with 46 attempts for 402 yds @ 8.7 per carry. Cunningham who is our 3rd down back has contributed more yds 318 than Mason's 251 yds this season. Fisher could be looking strong at Brown 5-11 225 to see if he could be a better back up to Gurley than Mason too. If Mason fails to have a big day we could see them look hard @ a Gurley back up in the 2016 draft. Bottom line here I would be highly surprised if Mason has a good day today:(.

Not sure what we will see from the two rookie DL'ers today DE John Longacre or DT Tricant-Pasat? TP has yet to dress for a game this season but he is a DT and the Rams just placed two DT's on the IR this past week. DE Longacre has been active for 4 games. We could see both these rookie DL'ers active today.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
hmm, think Williams needs to get the run defense in gear...Early too.Find out who can play besides Donald, Hayes, and Sims fast ass...Wow, hi-lights of Sims chasing a play...he probably was a LB or tailback once..big dude that can run
..turnovers have been a blessing....Poor Mason....secrets out....you're fast but, what else? Lets see today...Benny is Benny and has NOTHING to prove to me today...
O-Line continue to jell...and stay uninjured....the more players we have on the line that are healthy & talented...the better....8-8 is nice, but lets stay healthy now...

Oh yeah, maybe 5-8 targets for Marquez...ahahahah, JK, 5-9 targets for Quick....please....and 10 targets for Cook.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'll agree with you on this point, I was a much better Shot in Combat, and after, than I was "Pre" Combat! Those weren't Bee's flying by my Ear's!

Well, @DaveFan'51 thank you sir for your service and I too was better with bees in the air, I guess being allergic to shrapnel had quite of bit to do with it.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I'm on my way to the game! My prediction is the Rams win 13-3, with a defensive touchdown. Really disappointed Gurley won't be playing, but it's the right move long term.