Rams are only remaining team to not play on grass; won’t see grass field until Week 9 vs 49ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams are only remaining team to not play on grass; won’t see grass field until Week 9 vs 49ers​

What is the Rams’ record on grass and could it help them stay in the race for the NFC’s top seed?

By Kenneth Arthur@KennethArthuRS Oct 12, 2021

NFL: JAN 16 NFC Divisional Playoff - Rams at Packers

The Rams will always be associated with a certain type of football field and if you don’t believe me, what is the name of the website you are on as you are reading this right now? And no, I don’t mean that the “SB” in SB Nation stands for “sweet bluegrass.”

In St. Louis, the Rams played on the most famous turf field in the National Football League, and at SoFi Stadium they run around on Hellas Matrix Turf, arguably the most natural feeling and involved fake grass surface in the world; a painstaking process to give football teams the most realistic field possible without being real.
And the Rams won’t have to see “real” for quite some time this season.

LA last played on grass when they went to Lambeau Field in the divisional round of the playoffs, losing 32-18 to the Green Bay Packers. They won’t play on grass again until right before this season’s bye week, a perennially scheduled road date against the San Francisco 49ers on Monday, November 15. Then two weeks later that will be followed by a Week 12 road game at Lambeau Field against the Packers.

There are 32 teams in the NFL and 31 of them have already played on a grass field at least once this season:
  • Six teams (Falcons, Bills, Cowboys, Giants, Chargers, Seahawks) have played in one game on grass this season.
  • Seattle was the second-longest holdout, having played their grass game in Week 4, so the Rams will be the only non-grass NFL team from Week 5 to Week 9.
  • Last season, the LA Rams went 4-2 on grass in the regular season (W: TB, PHI, AZ, WAS / L: SF, MIA).
  • The Cardinals and Buccaneers are both 4-0 on grass this year, while the Packers are 4-1; these records are aided by the fact that their home fields are grass.
  • The Saints have oddly played in four grass games this year despite the fact that they don’t play on grass at home; three road games happened to be on grass and they hosted the Packers in the Jags’ home stadium in Week 1 because of Hurricane Ida.
  • The Rams are the most recent “home turf” team to reach the Super Bowl, as the Chiefs, Bucs, 49ers, and Patriots all play on grass.
This week, the Rams travel to the Meadowlands to face the New York Giants, an “UBU Sports Speed Series S5-M Synthetic Turf”; then back to SoFi for Jared Goff and the Lions; then off to Houston where the Texans play on that same Hellas Matrix Turf; then back to SoFi for hella more Hellas against the Tennessee Titans; then it is up to Santa Clara to play on a Bermuda Grass / Perennial Rygrass mixture of the San Francisco 49ers.

Following a Week 11 bye, the Rams will then go to Lambeau Field to play on another grass surface. Later in the year, LA will then play at Arizona and Baltimore, two more grass stadiums, for a total of four such games. The Jets had the fewest grass games in 2020, going 0-3 in those contests.

The Rams are 0-0 on grass this season, but if they bring an 8-1 record into Santa Clara, and if they start out 2-0 on grass, then LA will be an insanely strong contender for the NFC’s top seed. Perhaps the Greatest Show on Turf will get to see how green things are on the other side again.

Psycho_X

Legend
Turfshowtimes really desperate to find a subject for an article this week I guess. Mini-bye really stressing their article quota I guess.

Side note, I don't like New York's playing surface. Seems like there have been a lot of lower body injuries on that turf. Seems like abnormally so but maybe I'm wrong. But I just hope we get through this game without that turf biting us.