Rams and Janoris working on extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Nice. Best CB on the team, core part of a young, talented secondary.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not a fan, personally.

I'd wait.... he's been inconsistent, at best.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't know how to feel about that.
Quarterbacks had a 114 QB Rating while throwing at him last year.
Compared to a 79 QB rating while throwing at Gaines.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
He scores touchdowns though. And that's what the game is all about.

DVontel

Rookie
Nice. Best CB on the team, core part of a young, talented secondary.
I'm not a Rams fan(obvious by avy) but by watching the Rams' secondary, I would definitely be more happy with Janoris walking & extending Tru(rather than the other way around).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He scores touchdowns though. And that's what the game is all about.
Not really though. Not on defense. It's more about limiting touchdowns, and he's not great at that either.
He gave up 5 last year. Gaines gave up 1.

Benefit of the doubt though. This will be his second year in Williams' defense, so I expect him to tighten up considerably.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm not a Rams fan(obvious by avy) but by watching the Rams' secondary, I would definitely be more happy with Janoris walking & extending Tru(rather than the other way around).
I've often wondered how it would be if Tru was on one side and Gaines on the other.
Those two are pretty stout. Not flashy or turnover machines, but pretty damn solid.

lockdnram21

Legend

Yeavbut what Good receiver did Gaines cover besides Maclin

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He scores gives up touchdowns though.

Fixed that for ya ;) (note: in all fairness, he wasn't the total problem on some of those gaffes last year, but he certainly was a contributing factor).

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Not really though. Not on defense. It's more about limiting touchdowns, and he's not great at that either.
He gave up 5 last year. Gaines gave up 1.

Benefit of the doubt though. This will be his second year in Williams' defense, so I expect him to tighten up considerably.
I understand that but I'm going to reserve judgement on Gaines until he covers the #1 consistently. And I'm just stating why I believe they are extending him. If he has a 10 year career he's on pace to have 19 INT return touchdowns. Which would be far and away the most ever.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Seems like that's skewed by a few big plays, many of which were the result of miscommunication with McLeod. Let them keep playing together in the same scheme and I imagine that rating will decline.

Also Gaines was mostly on the #2 receivers. Jenkins was assigned the best weapon on the opposing offense. I love Gaines, but JJ is no slouch.

(I do wish he got a little less antsy about making big plays... he can gamble, but he needs to know the odds better when he does)

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well... given your ava... I'd do the opposite of what you suggest!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah i'd wait on this too. Why not negotiate in mid-season when we get a clearer picture of what we've really got in our secondary? I do think he still has the most upside among all of our corners DB's...but with several guys on a contract year in 2015 i'd be cautious to extend anyone right now.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I understand that but I'm going to reserve judgement on Gaines until he covers the #1 consistently. And I'm just stating why I believe they are extending him. If he has a 10 year career he's on pace to have 19 INT return touchdowns. Which would be far and away the most ever.
Fair enough. (y)

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

Of course you being a Cards fan, you'd be more happy with Janoris walking

2012-11-25-janoris-jenkins-4_3.jpg
112512-NFL-rams-cardinals-Janoris-Jenkins-LN-PI_20121125200835243_660_320.JPG

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Seems like that's skewed by a few big plays, many of which were the result of miscommunication with McLeod. Let them keep playing together in the same scheme and I imagine that rating will decline.

Also Gaines was mostly on the #2 receivers. Jenkins was assigned the best weapon on the opposing offense. I love Gaines, but JJ is no slouch.

(I do wish he got a little less antsy about making big plays... he can gamble, but he needs to know the odds better when he does)
Yeah, good point about the communication problems. We've all seen those. And he is left on an island more than any other CB on the team. Even when we're in zone, he's the lone CB playing straight man. And while I do give credence to the idea that being lined up on the other team's #1 is going to skew his stats, that doesn't mean he should get abused as much as he does. If we're talking about extending him and locking him up, wouldn't you like for him to be a top 10 CB? He's currently 50th.

MrMotes

Starter
No surprise here, Jim Thomas has been saying extending JJ is a priority for the Rams for a while now.

Personally, i like it.