Rams analysis: What we know, what we don’t after OTAs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams analysis: What we know, what we don’t after OTAs​

Offseason team workouts made their post-pandemic return this year just in time for the Rams, whose many new players and coaches needed the bonding exercise of in-person chalk talk and on-field practice sessions.

The three weeks of organized team activities (OTAs) and mandatory minicamp that ended Thursday answered some questions about the Rams but left a lot to be settled at training camp, opening at UC Irvine in late July.

Three months out from the regular-season opener on Sunday night, Sept. 12, against the Chicago Bears at SoFi Stadium, here’s a look at what we know about the Rams and what we still have to find out about.

WHAT WE KNOW AFTER OTAs

The QB is OK

It’s early, but it looks as if the Rams made a winning gamble in replacing NFC championship-winning Jared Goff, 26, with oh-for-the-playoffs Matthew Stafford, 33.

Stafford has impressed teammates and the team staff on and off the practice field.

“I’m just going to try to be myself,” Stafford said.

A clever trick, and it seems to be working.

Expectations are sky-high

Or translucent canopy-high, since the Super Bowl LVI next February will be played at SoFi Stadium.

Coach Sean McVay has done nothing to dampen expectations for Stafford and the Rams as odds against them winning the Super Bowl this season have shortened to 12-1 (among the top four or five teams).

“I think you embrace them,” McVay said Thursday, quickly adding that living up to them is an every-day challenge.

Option plays

This offseason cost the Rams some stars, mostly on defense, but overall trades, signings, the draft and experimentation in spring workouts have given the Rams more options at key positions.

McVay talked up the possibility of raising Cam Akers’ profile in the passing game by moving the running back to wideout and slot positions sometimes. The coach was effusive in praising Van Jefferson, the second-year wide receiver, and Jacob Harris, the fourth-round pick who played wide receiver at Central Florida but might back up Tyler Higbee at tight end. The question of who will replace Austin Blythe at center seems to be Austin Corbett, moving over from right guard, where he’d be replaced by Bobby Evans; but the Rams’ perpetual cross-training on the offensive line could mean more surprises.

The Rams see improvement from David Long, who could replace Troy Hill outside or inside in the cornerback group with Jalen Ramsey and Darious Williams. McVay said of Long: “He is a guy that we’re going to count on.”

Health will be an issue

That’s true for every team as the schedule expands from 16 to 17 games.

But the Rams must monitor wide receiver Cooper Kupp, who admitted this month that his January knee problem was worse than the reported bursitis, and older players such as wide receiver DeSean Jackson and left tackle Andrew Whitworth, and figure out how to keep Akers healthier than last year.

WHAT WE HAVE TO FIND OUT

Do they have enough footballs?

Adding Stafford and Jackson and drafting Tutu Atwell promises a more explosive Rams offense, but what will the new passing game look like?

How will Stafford and McVay make use of all those receivers? How often will they follow through on the threat of throwing deep to Jackson or Tutu Atwell? Will Jefferson’s touches grow? Will Kupp’s and Robert Woods’ decline? What changes for Higbee? What is Akers’ pass-catching role?

Real answers will have to wait until the regular season begins, because McVay said he again doesn’t plan to play his starters in preseason games.

Who’s special?

In trying to revive a unit that fell a long way since the Rams’ 2018 Super Bowl run, new special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis must choose a punt returner.

Possibilities include incumbent Nsimba Webster, Atwell, running back Raymond Calais, and undrafted receivers J.J. Koski, Trishton Jackson, Landen Akers and Jeremiah Haydel.

On the other end of fourth downs, punter Johnny Hekker said he approached OTAs as a competition with former Buffalo Bill Corey Bojorquez. It would still be a shock if the Rams moved on from Hekker, a four-time All-Pro. But maybe not a surprise, given what they could save without the biggest contract in puntdom.

Who leads?

Aaron Donald and Ramsey lead the defense by example, but there was a void in vocal leadership after safety and defensive signal-caller John Johnson signed with the Cleveland Browns and defensive lineman Michael Brockers was traded to the Detroit Lions.

“I think every safety on the team kind of has to take on that role of being a great communicator, in the back end and (for) the whole defense,” third-year safety Taylor Rapp said.

That will be an intangible factor in whether the Rams’ defense stays at or near the top of the league.

Who’s THAT?

At least 10 Rams have changed uniform numbers since the NFL expanded the position groups that could wear single digits. One day in minicamp, Ramsey was wearing No. 5 while listed as 20 on the roster given to reporters. And Akers switched back to 23 after speaking emotionally about why he was changing to his boyhood 3.

By Week 1, numbers will be official, and we’ll be able to tell the players with a scorecard.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Real answers will have to wait until the regular season begins, because McVay said he again doesn’t plan to play his starters in preseason games.

I guess that’s how McVay will most always handle preseason. This goes back to 2018.

From 2019:

“Rams coach Sean McVay won’t play his starters in the preseason. And he won’t apologize for it.”

“The Rams got to the Super Bowl without the starters playing in the preseason last year, so no one can say they needed it. NFL teams may increasingly follow McVay’s lead, and the preseason may become increasingly pointless.”

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Have a feeling we might see some of Austin Corbett & Bobby Evans, but that's about it. Anxious to see players along the offensive & defensive line along with hopefully a pass rusher that makes some noise like Chris Garrett or Justin Lawler for example.

Also special teams will be huge in preseason, if RB Raymond Calais can return punts, he could carve a niche for himself being able to return both punts & kickoffs protecting the likes of Atwell & Jackson. Deep Snapper needs to be sorted out as I still believe that Iowa State Alum Steve Wirtel, however, he will be challenged by former Jaguar Matt Orzech, who worked with Special Team Coach Joe DeCamillis in Jacksonville, so the preseason games will give us an opportunity to judge the snaps.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
“The Rams got to the Super Bowl without the starters playing in the preseason last year, so no one can say they needed it. NFL teams may increasingly follow McVay’s lead, and the preseason may become increasingly pointless.”
It is not pointless to see guys fighting for a roster spot. This may be the only time some of them get to play in an NFL game. Nothing worst then seeing one of your star players go down in a meaningless game. Can anyone name the player who was hurt in preseason that led to a one time bag boy going down in history, as one of the all time great QBs.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If a starter get's a season ending injury in game one of the regular season or in the last game of the preseason, how much difference does it make by season's end?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It is not pointless to see guys fighting for a roster spot. This may be the only time some of them get to play in an NFL game. Nothing worst then seeing one of your star players go down in a meaningless game. Can anyone name the player who was hurt in preseason that led to a one time bag boy going down in history, as one of the all time great QBs.

Trent Green gathered The Rams a first or 2nd rd pick I believe? Do you remember Dick Vermeil’s offense in KC? Talk about one of the best.

I was watching Mad Mike against N.O.’s in Wild Card game. Funny how Orlando Pace got so much credit for what The Rams did.IMO he was overrated. We can talk about Bulger as well.That use to be a debate around here 10 years ago.
We’ll see if the Jared Goff vs. Mathew Stafford becomes a thing again ?

I agree CGI is way off on this one.Preseason is meaningful. The thing CGI is over looking is how
In training camp Mcvay has more control of his team & players in a
Scrimmage. The Rams go against Dallas & Vegas. Contract & plays are more scripted.

You can go back & look at the meaning of it.Being in LA vs. St.Louis makes a big difference IMO. Mcvay though finds it important enough to fly back East to go against The Ravens.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If a starter get's a season ending injury in game one of the regular season or in the last game of the preseason, how much difference does it make by season's end?

Depends on the injury & the player. Total hypothetical . In a sense Whitworth had a season ending injury,but cameback in the Playoffs.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Depends on the injury & the player. Total hypothetical . In a sense Whitworth had a season ending injury,but cameback in the Playoffs.
I don't think your answer applies. I was comparing two situations that were almost the same. Preseason Game 3 and Regular Season Game One are within a week or two from one another. I also wasn't looking for a caveat in having an almost 40 year old man beating the odds and coming back from an injury that could have led him to retirement. IF both situations resulted in a starter being sidelinds for the the whole season, there is no real difference to the teams chances, except we feel better somehow becuse in the latter case it happened in a regular season game?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think OTAs told us much at all. It is glorified flag football so really only the skill types and DBs got good work and even then there is very little rubbing on routes or physicality at the line.

First week of camp will tell us a ton re: the safeties, the OG, the slot, the ROLB, and the TE battles etc. I enjoyed reading the OTA reports and stuff but as always it is more fluff than anything else.

I know Debby Downer lol. But this is kind of like the antipasto period of a meal in Italy, a little primer to pique one's appetite.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think OTAs told us much at all. It is glorified flag football so really only the skill types and DBs got good work and even then there is very little rubbing on routes or physicality at the line.

First week of camp will tell us a ton re: the safeties, the OG, the slot, the ROLB, and the TE battles etc. I enjoyed reading the OTA reports and stuff but as always it is more fluff than anything else.

I know Debby Downer lol. But this is kind of like the antipasto period of a meal in Italy, a little primer to pique one's appetite.

Preseason is for Rooks...team scrimmages with other teams is where the fun will be during this time...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't think your answer applies. I was comparing two situations that were almost the same. Preseason Game 3 and Regular Season Game One are within a week or two from one another. I also wasn't looking for a caveat in having an almost 40 year old man beating the odds and coming back from an injury that could have led him to retirement. IF both situations resulted in a starter being sidelinds for the the whole season, there is no real difference to the teams chances, except we feel better somehow becuse in the latter case it happened in a regular season game?

Marshall Faulk had his story of his NFL Life. I think the answer lies within how he took ownership of the team after a preseason game.Then again it is all how you view it.There are many answers.

My answer in itself is risk vs reward & understanding situations.There is a big difference.Injuries are injuries.Say you die today vs dying tomorrow.I could go on & on about reasonings.

The Rams sat out Joesph Noteboom & Brian Allen. Say Brian Allen got hurt in the preseason? Some around here think Noteboom wouldn’t have got hurt. Then again maybe getting preseason in would have made both players better.Edwards & Evans don’t get the experience they did at 22 years old being rookies.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Marshall Faulk had his story of his NFL Life. I think the answer lies within how he took ownership of the team after a preseason game.Then again it is all how you view it.There are many answers.

My answer in itself is risk vs reward & understanding situations.There is a big difference.Injuries are injuries.Say you die today vs dying tomorrow.I could go on & on about reasonings.

The Rams sat out Joesph Noteboom & Brian Allen. Say Brian Allen got hurt in the preseason? Some around here think Noteboom wouldn’t have got hurt. Then again maybe getting preseason in would have made both players better.Edwards & Evans don’t get the experience they did at 22 years old being rookies.
But even Marshall's teams, starters in the whole NFL almost played a full half of football in the last Pre-season game. I'm not invested in PreSeason, really...just that if a guy gets injured in Preseason or in the regular season early on, has similar effects...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Well you start to process some Ideas The Rams have in putting together there roster.
Austin Corbett
Bobby Evans
LS

To fault Rams Fans seem to forget Henderson & Mundt who will be a big part of The Rams Offensive rotation.

jjab360

Legend
Trent Green gathered The Rams a first or 2nd rd pick I believe? Do you remember Dick Vermeil’s offense in KC? Talk about one of the best.

I was watching Mad Mike against N.O.’s in Wild Card game. Funny how Orlando Pace got so much credit for what The Rams did.IMO he was overrated. We can talk about Bulger as well.That use to be a debate around here 10 years ago.
We’ll see if the Jared Goff vs. Mathew Stafford becomes a thing again ?

I agree CGI is way off on this one.Preseason is meaningful. The thing CGI is over looking is how
In training camp Mcvay has more control of his team & players in a
Scrimmage. The Rams go against Dallas & Vegas. Contract & plays are more scripted.

You can go back & look at the meaning of it.Being in LA vs. St.Louis makes a big difference IMO. Mcvay though finds it important enough to fly back East to go against The Ravens.
CGI didn't say that lol, it's a quote