Rams Addiction Podcast, Episode 61: Mock Draft Round Table

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
Remind me to never hire you to draft for my team Anthony. A 4th rounder to move down to #4? :ROFLMAO:
BTW, are you interested in buying a bridge in NJ?
Nice mock so far guys. With the exception of the Rams pick of course. :mad: :LOL:

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Remind me to never hire you to draft for my team Anthony. A 4th rounder to move down to #4? :ROFLMAO:
BTW, are you interested in buying a bridge in NJ?
Nice mock so far guys. With the exception of the Rams pick of course. :mad: :LOL:

I think their mock was a case of 2 negatives make a positive.

The two guys Anthony wanted included Mack, who I don't want. And then he botched the trade down. And yet he landed on his feet with Robinson. Nice job.

Alan

Legend
If you're going to screw up it's definitely nice to come out smelling like a rose instead of a pile of manure. But still, a 4th rounder? I can see why he was so depressed. :snicker:

ramsaddiction

Rookie
Name
Anthony
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I knew I was going to catch ten tons of ish for that trade, but from my perspective it was a no-risk acquisition of a 4th round pick, because Carl (Browns) told me he wouldn't draft Mack or Watkins, and I was equally interested in both players. I'm sure gentlemen agreements are made in NFL draft trades all the time ("We're coming up to take this player"). If the Browns had pulled that in real life, they'd be blacklisted from trading with just about everyone in perpetuity.

In regards to ending up with Robinson, I think he's a decent player with tremendous upside, but I don't think he's anywhere near the impact player of a Mack or Watkins.

Alan

Legend
ramsaddiction a cheap date:
I knew I was going to catch ten tons of ish for that trade, but from my perspective it was a no-risk acquisition of a 4th round pick
Here's my point about this, I think for what you were giving him he should have and would have paid more. Though if I remember correctly you said there weren't very many trade offers. Still.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I can completely see the sense in what Anthony did. He just got royally screwed over by the other guy.

The discussion about Mack before the mock draft started was interesting. Making our front 7 the best in all of football by drafting Mack (and signing Carrington in FA don't forget) would be very tempting to me. I've been advocating an o-lineman with the #2 pick but there are many (including Fisher going by his history) that believe that quality o lineman can be picked up in round 2 and later. Rams Addiction have talked about alternatives and the information posted by @DR RAM on here makes me wonder if we'd be just fine drafting others to play and start on the O line and go for Mack and a DB in the first round.

V3

Hall of Fame
Nothing personal but if that happened, it would probably make me quit this regime. Absolutely horrible. Trying to get Mack and trading down and only getting a 4th. Lucked out with Robinson and I'm not even sure about him.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
LumberTubs with music to soothe the soul:
Sorry Alan. Here, have one of these to cheer you up :rockon:
Thanks Lumber, great music always cheers me up. :) Both the A and B side of that record hit the spot. (y)

I get high with a little help from my friends
Mm going to try with a little help from my friends
I've got to admit it's getting better (Better)
A little better all the time (It can't get more worse)

V3

Hall of Fame
Thanks Lumber, great music always cheers me up. :) Both the A and B side of that record hit the spot. (y)

I get high with a little help from my friends
Mm going to try with a little help from my friends
I've got to admit it's getting better (Better)
A little better all the time (It can't get more worse)

Are we sure Anthony wasn't getting high with a little help from his friends before that mock?

Sorry, Anthony. I had to do it.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Fun Podcast, this one. Just earlier I was studying some PFF stats and noticed we are #2 in pass rush efficiency when we send 4 rushers, but we drop into the bottom half of the league when we send 5. Considering Williams went on record that he will play his safeties deep, this roster has ZERO linebackers proficient at blitzing, yet the league averages say that pass rush efficiency should increase dramatically sending five as opposed to four. And having three linebackers that can cover gives our "mad scientist" flexibility in scheme. I was surprised that the journalist/fan in Buffalo, Messare, downplayed Mack's ability to rush the passer. On film, I see a potential Lawrence Taylor skill set.

Furthermore, I'm hoping we see fewer missed tackles from James and Alec. Williams is a high accountability type and will need to clean this up before I would claim a guy like Mack would make this the top front seven in football. With his aggressive, gambling style, Gregg would surely command this squad to lead the league in sacks and forced turnovers but I fear we could also lead the league in penalties and busted plays that result in huge gains by the offense (see Jim Haslett).

With that said, how many forced fumbles could we get out of Ogletree, Quinn, Mack, and Long? Mmmmmm....tastes like chicken!

V3

Hall of Fame
Fun Podcast, this one. Just earlier I was studying some PFF stats and noticed we are #2 in pass rush efficiency when we send 4 rushers, but we drop into the bottom half of the league when we send 5. Considering Williams went on record that he will play his safeties deep, this roster has ZERO linebackers proficient at blitzing, yet the league averages say that pass rush efficiency should increase dramatically sending five as opposed to four. And having three linebackers that can cover gives our "mad scientist" flexibility in scheme. I was surprised that the journalist/fan in Buffalo, Messare, downplayed Mack's ability to rush the passer. On film, I see a potential Lawrence Taylor skill set.

Furthermore, I'm hoping we see fewer missed tackles from James and Alec. Williams is a high accountability type and will need to clean this up before I would claim a guy like Mack would make this the top front seven in football. With his aggressive, gambling style, Gregg would surely command this squad to lead the league in sacks and forced turnovers but I fear we could also lead the league in penalties and busted plays that result in huge gains by the offense (see Jim Haslett).

With that said, how many forced fumbles could we get out of Ogletree, Quinn, Mack, and Long? Mmmmmm....tastes like chicken!

Don't see anything near Lawrence Taylor but I thought he at least showed the ability that got him noticed. There simply isn't enough film on him and it's almost all against poor competition. I then stumbled upon this and was surprised to see how inefficient he was at pass rushing. People love to point out Ohio St. but that's one team. It's at least interesting to see the metrics of his pass rushing skills. I wasn't a fan(in a 4-3) before and this didn't help.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46981/349/peshek-edge-rushers-20

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
V3, that article is disturbing. But Michael Jordan averaged less than 20 pts a game in college. How would that improve in the pros? Not that it's necessarily the same, but you get the point...

I was thinking skill set, not production based on what I saw. Sheesh, based on stats, Clowney wasn't as good a sack artist as Michael Sam in 2013.

V3

Hall of Fame
V3, that article is disturbing. But Michael Jordan averaged less than 20 pts a game in college. How would that improve in the pros? Not that it's necessarily the same, but you get the point...

I was thinking skill set, not production based on what I saw. Sheesh, based on stats, Clowney wasn't as good a sack artist as Michael Sam in 2013.

I totally agree that that article doesn't prove anything. I just think Mack is best suited for a 3-4, and beyond that, whomever takes him is still taking quite a bit of risk, IMO. I really don't like taking players at the top of the draft from lower divisions that didn't play many good teams. I also don't like taking a SLB at the top. I also understand that he could play more like a DE on rushing plays but then you start getting into his size concerns for a 4-3 DE. Yes, there are some examples of smaller DE's being successful but they aren't common and that is just more risk to add on the pile. Bottom line, there's just too much risk involved for my tastes to take him for the Rams in the top 10. There's less risk/better value involved for a 3-4 team, IMO. That's how I look at it, at least.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Messare made it a point of emphasis that Mack's greatest strength is his ability to cover tight ends and running backs and if he had to choose, he would be best in a 4/3. In our division, I value his and Ogletree's ability to track down running QB's when they break contain. I'd like to see Alec full time at WIL instead of being a SAM on running plays and WIL when they go nickel. Furthermore, I think Mack is good enough for us to not go nickel at all...he only comes off when we have dime packages as the opponent goes four wide in an empty set. Furthermore, Gregg could better disguise zone or man schemes by keeping both linebackers on their respective sides when the opponent sends a receiver in motion. Even then, Williams could keep him in and bring the heat. I hate that our current linebackers suck as pass rushers.

Now, having said that, I'm still torn between Mack and Evans/Lewan, Watkins and Mosley (w Su'a Filo in the second), or a trade down that nets Robinson/Matthews, Gilbert, Shazier, and J Matthews/J Ward. If possible, I take option 3. What a fascinating draft this is!

ramsaddiction

Rookie
Name
Anthony
Are we sure Anthony wasn't getting high with a little help from his friends before that mock?

Sorry, Anthony. I had to do it.

Ha, no offense taken. It wasn't so long ago that the answer could easily have been yes.

ramsaddiction

Rookie
Name
Anthony
I was surprised that the journalist/fan in Buffalo, Messare, downplayed Mack's ability to rush the passer. On film, I see a potential Lawrence Taylor skill set.

I don't think he was downplaying the pass rush ability so much as he was pumping the pass coverage ability. That's why he wants him in a 4-3. He seems to think that what makes Mack great is that opposing offenses can't scheme around one specific skill.