Rams add Thomas to Roster, will carry 7 WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JackStraw

Rookie
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Rams are expected to carry seven wide receivers by the end of this week.

Mike Thomas, suspended for the first four regular-season games for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances, will be added to the roster, coach Sean McVay said. But the Rams also will keep their six other receivers: Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Tavon Austin, Pharoh Cooper and Josh Reynolds.

Cincinnati Bengals.

Thomas, listed at 6 foot 1 and 195 pounds, is a vertical threat who also can be a factor on special teams. His role, however, will be limited. Cooper will continue to return kickoffs, and the likes of Watkins, Woods and Kupp -- not to mention Todd Gurley -- will continue to soak up the targets. Going with seven receivers seems like a move made mostly to preserve depth because Austin has carved out a role in the backfield and any one of the Rams' young receivers probably would get claimed off waivers.

Thomas was a sixth-round pick in last year's draft who hardly played early in the 2016 season and made a couple of notable mistakes down the stretch, fumbling the opening kickoff against the Atlanta Falcons and dropping an easy long catch against the Seattle Seahawks. But Thomas impressed the new coaching staff during the offseason program and in training camp, even though he was limited in both by minor injuries.

The Rams probably will wait until late in the week to make a corresponding move to fit Thomas onto their 53-man roster.

"Mike's got a lot of value," McVay said. "He's got some speed. I think he's continued to improve the nuances of playing the position. Then he's also a big asset to [John Fassel] and the special teams. How that affects the 46 on game day is something that we're going to monitor as the week progresses. But Mike's a guy that we're glad to get back."

Why not? We only need to carry 1 RB

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I thought the Seahawks signed Quinton Jefferson from our practice squad?

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought the Seahawks signed Quinton Jefferson from our practice squad?
If he was on our current practice squad then I thought per NFL rules the team you are playing that week cannot pick up a player off your practice squad.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
There must be a reason for it, but I don't know what it is.......if there is an area on the roster that doesn't need help its the WR unit.

@cvramsfan I think you are right about that.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
If he was on our current practice squad then I thought per NFL rules the team you are playing that week cannot pick up a player off your practice squad.
I looked it up because I thought the same thing. It needs to be at least 6 days before the game. I kind of assumed it be a longer timeframe

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
There must be a reason for it, but I don't know what it is.......if there is an area on the roster that doesn't need help its the WR unit.

@cvramsfan I think you are right about that.
I agree here.

Pharoh Cooper has only 1 catch for 4 yds in the offense & would seem to be the likely player to cut but he has been our KR even though he is just average at it. Cooper is a real good kid who does all the little things well He has no burrs on him. Cooper fits the Slot best IMO. Thomas is an outside deep receiver one that we could use more.

Rams do have a good amount of safeties on this roster too. One safety who has yet to make a tackle is SS Marqui Christian. We saw a good amount of safety John Johnson & Blake Countess thus far too both of them have 7 tackles each. While Cody Davis has 12. With LJ out those 3 are getting a good work out, So Christian looks like the odd man out if they wanted to release him.

One thing that might keep Christian on the roster is the poor play of SS Mo Alexander.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cut Justin Davis and put him on PS.
Austin and Brown are 2/3 rbs

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Cut Justin Davis and put him on PS.
Austin and Brown are 2/3 rbs

I'd rather keep Davis, in case of potential injury.

Christian is the guy I'd cut. We don't need six safeties, and he made a very boneheaded penalty on special teams.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I agree here.

Pharoh Cooper has only 1 catch for 4 yds in the offense & would seem to be the likely player to cut but he has been our KR even though he is just average at it. Cooper is a real good kid who does all the little things well He has no burrs on him. Cooper fits the Slot best IMO. Thomas is an outside deep receiver one that we could use more.

Rams do have a good amount of safeties on this roster too. One safety who has yet to make a tackle is SS Marqui Christian. We saw a good amount of safety John Johnson & Blake Countess thus far too both of them have 7 tackles each. While Cody Davis has 12. With LJ out those 3 are getting a good work out, So Christian looks like the odd man out if they wanted to release him.

One thing that might keep Christian on the roster is the poor play of SS Mo Alexander.
Christian is who I think will be the Cut!!(y);)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Christian is the guy I'd cut. We don't need six safeties, and he made a very boneheaded penalty on special teams.
Davis wasnt even active last 2 weeks IIRC, and when Dunbar comes off PUP in 2 weeks, he's a goner then.
Throw him on the PS so he's there in a pinch.
TA is our #2 back now

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Christian is who I think will be the Cut!!(y);)

Marqui Christian is a one post player too...he is a SS but Wade also has Mark Barron who is playing out of position too. MB will never be a good enough ILB'er in the 34 "D" to be worth his extreme cap cost. How many teams pay 11 million for a inside LB'er? MB proved to be a outstanding weak-side OLB'er in a 43 "D" but he is now being asked to play way out of position. MB is still leading this defense in tackles with 25. Tree has 23 tacks. MB has a heavy workload & he does have a history of injury issues so this bares watching.

I would have to think right now if MB was playing Strong Safety instead of Mo Alexander this team would have a serious hard hitting enforcer in our secondary. Something presently missing badly. If I could talk to Snead & Wade I would advise them to take a long look @ the Eagles Mychal Kendricks & arrange a trade for 34 "D" ILB'er. Offering up names like Rob Quinn & Pharoh Cooper & a 3rd day draft selection.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I hope Snead is looking for a potential draft partner for whoever we cut because we're going to release a good player.

I'm sticking with my putting a player on IR theory.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm sticking with my putting a player on IR theory.

I disagree I can't see how it's not Cornelius Lucas Offensive Tackle, he was signed off the street so it's not like the Rams claimed him or signed him off a practice squad and he's been inactive for every game.

The Rams still would have 9 offensive linemen and would seem likely to be able to add Lucas to their practice squad and release either the WR they have (Brown) or FB Sam Rogers.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I don't know man, they haven't released anybody yet.
There has to be a reason for that.

Somebody's got to be nicked up that they want to hang on to.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I looked it up because I thought the same thing. It needs to be at least 6 days before the game. I kind of assumed it be a longer timeframe
6 days, so as long as they do it on Monday they are good? That is a rule that should be changed IMO.