Rams 'actively' trying to re-sign WR Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Lets get this done...

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Rams are "working actively" to re-sign free agent Sammy Watkins.

Watkins is reportedly "open to staying." La Canfora mentions Watkins possibly settling for a "bridge" contract, likely on a one- or two-year deal to continue to rebuild other teams' confidence in his ability to stay healthy and effective. Watkins' "market" to this point has been pretty quiet. Most teams likely view him as a fallback plan to fellow free agent Allen Robinson.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think Watkins in year 2 in this offense with a full off-season would lend to him blowing up.

I want him to be back.

I just don't know if the 9ers, the Bears or the Jets are gonna throw stupid money at him.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
I think Watkins in year 2 in this offense with a full off-season would lend to him blowing up.

I want him to be back.

I just don't know if the 9ers, the Bears or the Jets are gonna throw stupid money at him.

Well, At least that article gives a little hope that the Rams might be able to re-sign him! Count me as one of the Rams fans that will be greatly disappointed if he signs with some other team!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Nah, it’ll never happen.

Watkins in an affordable 1 or 2 year prove it extension?

Makes waaaaay too much sense for both sides. Lol.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I would love a two year deal! Say $11M year?

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I wouldn’t mind seeing Watkins sign a deal and having a full off season in this offense. If he were to leave for FA then I would like to see the RAMS go after Allen Robinson but I don’t see that happening. I haven’t read or heard any connections with Robinson and the RAMS. When healthy Robinson is a beast, but I agree, Watkins in year 2 sounds exciting as well.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
A 1-2 year deal sounds like the most likely/fair to both sides scenario at this point. I can only imagine the potential of Goff/Watkins combo with another offseason under their belts.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
One thing that could go as a plus here is that Sammy is only 25 yr old when this 2018 season begins. Sammy seeing that WR Mike Evans who was selected after him in the 2014 draft just got a a five-year, $82.5 million contract extension that includes $55 million guaranteed. If Sammy were to have a monster season on the NFL most powerful offense that might end up in the SB he would be in the $$$$$$$$ in 2019 free agency only being ONLY 26 yrs old.

Works for both parties!

Ram65

Legend
Lets get this done...

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Rams are "working actively" to re-sign free agent Sammy Watkins.

Watkins is reportedly "open to staying." La Canfora mentions Watkins possibly settling for a "bridge" contract, likely on a one- or two-year deal to continue to rebuild other teams' confidence in his ability to stay healthy and effective. Watkins' "market" to this point has been pretty quiet. Most teams likely view him as a fallback plan to fellow free agent Allen Robinson.

Is La Canfora an in the know reporter?

Sammy could take a 1-2 year deal and get a bigger pay day later. I wonder what his agent is hearing. It is a good situation for Watkins to take advantage of the poor free agent WR market. I hope he stays but, I think he has to test the market.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I can't help but think this should work out..

We're better than the teams that would want him...and although his numbers weren't spectacular...he stayed healthy all year...

He wants to stay..and we want him to stay.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I doubt he takes such an offer before getting offers from other teams. If one offers him enough guaranteed money - why would he risk an injury damaging his value?

It's only if no good enough offers come in that he will try to up his value with a one or two year contract. Most likely a one year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really would make sense to take a 1 year deal, blow up next year with Goff and then say Show Me the Money

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If the Rams resign Sammy I was for it, if they don't, I was against it!

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Nah, it’ll never happen.

Watkins in an affordable 1 or 2 year prove it extension?

Makes waaaaay too much sense for both sides. Lol.

Seriously, we have good luck but not that good of luck

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
A 1 or 2 year deal would make sense for both sides. Obviously Watkins can prove himself to the league in terms of his health and overall play. And for the Rams it also gives them time to develop Reynolds and see if he can take over if they can't ultimately sign Watkins long term. In fact they may not be able too sign him anyway 2 years from now when Gurely and Goff get paid. So a little extra time is everyone's friend here.