Rams' Aaron Donald is playing into shape and hopes a bigger impact is in cards for Week 2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-report-20180913-story.html

Peace of mind and a hefty bank account.

For Aaron Donald, those are the two main differences between Week 2 of last season and Week 2 of this one.
In 2017, the perennial Pro Bowl player ended a holdout without a contract extension on the eve of the season opener. He was not ready to play until the second game.

Now, with a $131-million extension in hand and a solid season-opening performance against the Oakland Raiders behind him, Donald is preparing for Sunday’s game against the Arizona Cardinals.

“Everything’s a lot better now,” Donald said Thursday.

Not that there isn’t room for improvement.

Donald, who sat out training camp and signed his extension 10 days before the opener, played most of the opener and made one tackle in the 33-13 victory over the Raiders. He recorded what appeared to be a sack but the play was nullified by a personal foul against Donald for falling on quarterback Derek Carr.

Donald said he could have played better.

“I’m always going to be my worst critic,” he said.

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips agreed with Donald’s assessment of his performance.

“I want him to do better, he wants to do better,” Phillips said, “but he’s still a great football player.

“They had a rough time trying to keep him out of there.”

Facing a front that includes Donald, Ndamukong Suh and Michael Brockers, the Raiders employed a strategy that other teams are almost certain to emulate: Get the ball out of the quarterback’s hand as quickly as possible.

Brockers recorded the Rams’ lone sack, but the front helped limit the Raiders to 95 yards rushing and helped force three interceptions.

Donald, playing alongside Suh for the first time, characterized the ninth-year pro as, “just being him: a dominant football player.”

Safety John Johnson, who intercepted a pass in the end zone, said the Rams’ line can impose “wear and tear over the course of the game” on opponents.

Rams re-sign JoJo Natson to replace injured kick returner Pharoh Cooper, who's on injured reserve
Sep 12, 2018 | 9:10 PM

“They might not have gotten the big sack that they wanted or, like, a blatant pressure,” Johnson said, “but the quarterback is thinking about that rush coming.”

Cory Littleton, who made 13 tackles and intercepted a pass in his first start at middle linebacker, “showed out as much as anybody,” against the Raiders, Phillips said.

Matt Longacre and Dominique Easley played well in rotation at one outside linebacker spot, and Samson Ebukam also provided pressure.

Cornerback Marcus Peters’ interception return for a touchdown capped the victory, and gave the Rams momentum as they prepare for a Cardinals offense that includes quarterback Sam Bradford, running back David Johnson and receiver Larry Fitzgerald.

Asked if he expected Bradford to try to get the ball out quick, Donald grinned.

“I hope not,” he said, “but we going to see.”

Etc.

Austin Blythe will start again at right guard in place of Jamon Brown, who has one game left in his suspension for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy. “We do feel like he’s a starting-caliber player in this league,” coach Sean McVay said. “I think last week’s performance definitely indicated that.”… Linebacker Mark Barron did not practice because of an Achilles issue and appears to be doubtful again for Sunday’s game. Running back Todd Gurley, who was listed as a non-participant Wednesday, was a full participant Thursday.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I expect Sam to throw a bunch of passes in the dirt, toward the RB and behind the line. I've seen it enough times when he was a Ram. He gets frustrated with the constant pressure and eventually it starts to show.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
AD always beams a big smile whenever he talks about his contract being done. Glad we can put away doubts about whether he wanted to be a Ram long-term.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I expect Sam to throw a bunch of passes in the dirt, toward the RB and behind the line. I've seen it enough times when he was a Ram. He gets frustrated with the constant pressure and eventually it starts to show.

Yep, that panic that Carr had in the second half of the game on Monday night will already be setting into Sam's psyche already - and the more tired their o-line gets the more fun AD99 will have.

IMO: I think AD99 will up his game a lot this week, I bet Kalil Mack having a barnstorming game pi$$ed him off...

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's gonna go out there with something to prove this week! I bet he brings the hammer!

jap

Legend
Aaron may be in physical shape, but he is still getting into football shape. That can only happen by getting used to the pounding in the pits. Pity Sam the ex-Ram, who has to endure our future hall of famer's dedicated quest to ramp up his game. And we know Ndamukong and Michael Brockers will be right there with the friendly competition for the Horns' sack king. Right now, it stands as The incredible Brock with a sack and The Kracken & King Kong with zilch. So we know Aaron and Ndamukong are both saying,

"Like hell!!! That ain't right at all!!!!"

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
The penalty on AD when he was pushed into the pile and Carr fell on him was a total B.S. The refs are going to call penalties on the Rams and across the league because of this rule change to protect the QB.

And the refs never called Raider guard Osemele for holding A.D. all of the time, I guess it must have been the Black Hole home call by the refs for Gruden's welcome back to the NFL. SMH.

I

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
they need to think about shelving Barron if he's going to sit out game after game. Give that roster spot to someone who can contribute.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aaron may be in physical shape, but he is still getting into football shape. That can only happen by getting used to the pounding in the pits. Pity Sam the ex-Ram, who has to endure our future hall of famer's dedicated quest to ramp up his game. And we know Ndamukong and Michael Brockers will be right there with the friendly competition for the Horns' sack king. Right now, it stands as The incredible Brock with a sack and The Kracken & King Kong with zilch. So we know Aaron and Ndamukong are both saying,

"Like hell!!! That ain't right at all!!!!"
He said differently in the interview..he played like 90+% of the defensive snaps, and he said he trained accordingly when remembering how badly he felt after last years hold out. He said he was rusty with technique/ moves, according to the interview I heard, and no conditioning issues.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I’m not worried about his performance. At all. They need a few weeks to gel as a defensive unit. AD will get into his groove probably sooner than we think. Non-issue in my mind.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Safety John Johnson, who intercepted a pass in the end zone, said the Rams’ line can impose “wear and tear over the course of the game” on opponents.

This reminds me... That INT he pulled in was a CB level play. He also got beat by Cook on other plays of course, but there aren't a lot of safeties who could play it the way he did. In fact I have seen plenty of corners who don't know how to look back on the right timing and instead end up going the "arm up/faceguarding" route in that situation. Really excited about JJ.

Re: Donald not being happy... That's why he's great. Better things ahead this year for him, that's for sure. (y)