Rams 53-man roster prediction: Offensive line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who should start at guard?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Rams 53-man roster prediction: Offensive line
usatsi_8858432.jpg

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/07/26/rams-53-man-roster-prediction-offensive-line/

By: Jake Ellenbogen | 13 hours ago

In this series we will be predicting and breaking down each position, while getting down to the full 53-man roster. Here is our early pre-training camp roster, and we are going to go right into the trenches with the offensive line positions.

Total offensive lineman (16): Greg Robinson, Rodger Saffold, Tim Barnes, Jamon Brown, Rob Havenstein, Isaiah Battle, Andrew Donnal, Demetrius Rhaney, Garrett Reynolds, Darrell Williams, Cody Wichmann, Eric Kush, David Arkin, Pace Murphy, Jordan Swindle and Brian Folkerts
usatsi_8000782.jpg

Offensive lineman who will make the cut (10): Greg Robinson, Rodger Saffold, Tim Barnes, Jamon Brown, Rob Havenstein, Isaiah Battle, Andrew Donnal, Demetrius Rhaney, Garrett Reynolds and Cody Wichmann
It is absolutely imperative for the Rams to keep the core guys that they acquired through the 2015 NFL draft. I believe coach Jeff Fisher knows it and hopefully we will all be able to watch these young talented men gel into a possible nightmare for opposing defensive lines.

I fully expect Greg Robinson, Rodger Saffold, Tim Barnes, Jamon Brown and Rob Havenstein to be the starters, however its worth noting veteran offensive guard Garrett Reynolds played very well in relief for Brown last year and could pose a threat to Brown if he is indeed not 100 percent.

The depth of this line will feature the same faces as last year with the exception of a couple that will miss the cutoff due to the Rams bind at other positions. Look out especially for guys like Cody Wichmann, Demetrius Rhaney and Isaiah Battle who could possibly crack the starting lineup based on their offseason production. Battle is likely next in line if Robinson flops in the upcoming season.

Related:

Rams 53-man roster prediction: Tight ends

Offensive lineman cut (6): Darrell Williams, Eric Kush, David Arkin, Pace Murphy, Jordan Swindle and Brian Folkerts
The surprise out of the cuts would probably be Darrell Williams. The guy made the roster as a surprise entry onto the opening day 53-man roster to begin with. He played well in very limited snaps. Although he did play more than Andrew Donnal on special teams which could be the battle for the last spot on the line.

Some may peg Eric Kush as a threat to Tim Barnes starting job, I don’t fall in that category at all. The Rams like Rhaney and they are waiting for him to earn that starting job. Kush easily makes the roster in past years but with the Rams caught in a struggle of whom to keep at cornerback and wide receiver it looks as though Kush gets the axe.

David Arkin is versatile but unfortunately he isn’t anything special and the Rams have too much talent so a player like Arkin has a very slim chance of cracking the roster. Arkin is going to have to really impress during training camp and preseason.

The Rams have a lineman by the name of Pace again and no it’s not Orlando Pace. It’s none other than Pace Murphy, the standout from Northwestern State. His chances are slim to none, he might challenge Barnes at center though.

The former starting offensive tackle for University of Kentucky, Jordan Swindle, is looking to overcome a big obstacle and shock everyone by making this team. He has some technical issues he needs to fix but that can take years to solve. At this point he has the size going for him but he really just wouldn’t be able to be impactful against NFL pass rushers. Swindle is most likely not making it to the cut of 53.

Brian Folkerts has never really stayed in one place being thrown around the arena league and the NFL. I am sure he wants to stay in L.A, unfortunately for him I don’t see that happening he is battling Kush and Rhaney for the backup center job and that’s probably going to be all she wrote. Folkerts has been impressive in his non-stop work ethic to continue playing the game he apparently loves, but the best I can see him doing is landing on the Rams practice squad.

Most pivotal training camp battle at the position: Jamon Brown vs Garrett Reynolds
If there was an honorable mention for most pivotal training camp battle on the OL it would be Darrell Williams and Andrew Donnal for the last spot on the line. However I believe it’s more important for who is going to get the last starting spot at guard. Reynolds in all honesty played better than Brown and deserves it based off last year.

This of course won’t be based off last year. Every projected depth chart has Brown starting but keep in mind he is coming off a broken leg. Reynolds is a lot older so the upside isn’t there, but he is the best fit in my opinion as a plug-in-play guy for the Rams. Brown is the long-term option as the Rams seemingly tried to fill out their offensive line in just one draft.

So if you are watching and following training camp and preseason watch this position battle. Brown has a legitimate shot at coming back as the starter in his second year.

Related:

Rams guard Jamon Brown already made 2016 his most memorable year

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Jake, why would you choose Andrew Donnal over Darrell Williams? and Rhaney...oh geez, Rhaney was straight garbage(and Donnall wasn't far behind)....Those two are getting THE CUT!!!!! Not sure if we keep 9, 10, or 11...But I'm keeping Kush.....and I probably keep Williams...

Reynolds....man everybody says Reynolds this, Reynolds that...he was ALRIGHT....Wichman was ALRIGHT...the difference, Wichman was a rookie, Reynolds has been in the league 5-6 years, big difference.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jake, why would you choose Andrew Donnal over Darrell Williams? and Rhaney...oh geez, Rhaney was straight garbage(and Donnall wasn't far behind)....Those two are getting THE CUT!!!!! Not sure if we keep 9, 10, or 11...But I'm keeping Kush.....and I probably keep Williams...

Reynolds....man everybody says Reynolds this, Reynolds that...he was ALRIGHT....Wichman was ALRIGHT...the difference, Wichman was a rookie, Reynolds has been in the league 5-6 years, big difference.
Reynolds was good man keep in mind he was next to GRob who was consistently getting toasted that only hurt him. Remember when Joe Barksdale was the #1 OT per PFF then an injury occured at RG and Davin Joseph came in and got murdered which hit Barksdale and then he went from having a dominant season to getting a one-year deal from the Chargers? (Rams really dropped the ball imo). I'm just saying Reynolds was better than most think I mean GRob was awful! Donnal didn't play that long so I can't cut him off of last season. Fisher still talks up Rhaney man and until I see him finally take a back seat I can't cut him, however Kush looks good. Williams is alright but again they drafted Donnal in 2015 I doubt they want to can him that quickly.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Hard choice to make But I have to go with Brown!! Just going by last years performance! It's a New Season!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I love Wichmann, but IMHO, Brown will be the RG this year and Saffold will be the LG until the 3rd day of training camp, then he'll be out until the 3rd preseason game and then will miss the rest of the season after the third regular season game and Garrett Reynolds will be the left guard the remainder of the season.

fearsomefour

Legend
Unless Brown improved greatly, which is certainly possible, there would be no reason for him to start over Safgold, Reynolds or Wichnann.
Brown was a liability last year. Not good. Maybe he improved. He certainly did not play well enough to be a default at G.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Gonna be interesting on our OL this year, that's for sure.

But, for a change, we seem to have quality backups everywhere except maybe C. And we may even have a backup C or two already on board.

Took Fisher forever to "fix" his OL, but I think '15 was a huge upgrade and now they have some valuable experience under their belt.

As to Donnal, unless he really has taken a giant step up, I'm skeptical as to his chances of even making the 53. Draft status or no draft status.

OTOH, I really like Williams' chances of being in the Ram long term plans.

And I'll say this one last time. It would be optimal if Boudreau could start Saffold at RG and Brown at LG. Best positions for both players. All depends on whether GRob can finally pull his own weight without a vet holding his hand.