Rams 2023 coaching changes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Breakdown of some of the New Assistants across the board:

Mike LaFleur (Offensive Coordinator)...Only the Rams would hire a guy who oversaw a team scoring like 15 points in his last two games, however, LaFleur does have an aptitude to improve the run game plus in New York was saddled with a rookie QB that appears to be struggling in so many areas, this is who McVay wanted, so let's hope LaFleur can make life easier for McVay.

Ryan Wendell (Offensive Line)...Really would love to know what went on between McVay & former OL Coach Aaron Kromer because McVay kept his son Zak on staff and now has hired his understudy as the new OL Coach in Wendell plus promoting Zak to Assistant OL Coach to assist him. Anyways Wendell is a former player plus played Center for several years so hopefully he can ignite a unit that not only suffered major injuries across the board, but need to enforce their will more on the opposition becoming more physical at the point of attack.

Nick Caley (Tight Ends)...This unit suffered last year because Thomas Brown was the position, but was called upon to coach up the RB's more because of the discourse with Ra'Shaad Samples, which in turn gave Zak Kromer an opportunity to assist and led to his promotion to the offensive line. Fans of the Patriots were not fans of Caley because they felt they did not see their TE's doing much even though there was some talent with Hunter Henry & Jonnu Smith. Regardless Caley has plenty of experience coaching this unit and one can only hope it should be an upgrade by default.

Ron Gould (Running Backs)...Happy to have Coach Gould as the Rams were rebuffed by Texas RB Coach Tashard Choice & UCLA RB Coach DeShaun Foster. Gould brings a wealth of experience plus was a Head Coach in college too at UC Davis. Again this should give the Rams a leg up in the room based on Gould's experience and stellar reputation, with hope he can also provide input on a draft choice, if the Rams go in that direction.

Joe Coniglio (Outside Linebackers)...Love this hire because for one, he was McVay's roommate in college and even looks somewhat like him. Played DE/OLB at Miami of Ohio (The Cradle of Coaches) has coached at Rhode Island, Kent State & most recently Navy. Seems like he will bring some great energy to a unit that needs more production for the defense to be successful.

Aubrey Pleasant (Defensive Backs)...Reunited & feels so good, Pleasant seemed to be an assistant on the rise when he left the Rams to go to Detroit to coach the Lions and add Passing game coordinator to his title, but Pleasant proved Thomas Wolfe right that you can't go home again. Something went awry in Detroit as the Lion secondary was very bad, however, after relieving Pleasant of his duties the Lions secondary was vastly improved. Could have been injuries, but Pleasant an excellent DB Coach with the Rams and has been welcome back with open arms.

Jimmy Lake (Secondary)...My favorite addition due to the fact that at the collegiate level, Lake coached & coordinated aggressive defenses that were always in the upper echelon statistically. Was with DC Raheem Morris back in his Tampa days, so now that Morris has improved Secondary coaches, his unit hopefully be more aggressive then laying back in that soft zone.

Now I'm sure next week, the Rams will make the formal announcement of the staff overall, but I wanted to put some of the new hires under the microscope with hope that McVay now has another great staff in place for success in 2023.
Nice report,but Beake is a DB’s coach. Wondering how Lake being an assistant HC will effect The Rams?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
File this one away for re-posting when the '23 season ends. Hope springs eternal.

How much was it even a real thing? I don’t know what 2023 will bring as of NOW!

If you’re looking at the coaching staff. I’d say it’s built for the future & Mcvay put a lot of thought & hard work finding EXCELLENT FITS!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I get the impression that McVay put some real thought into the hire of a RB coach. And I feel like he made a solid choice.
So when the 2 coaches that turned Mcvay & The Rams down
was real thoughtful?
-The Ron Gould seems like the better fit than both of those coaches. Just glad he dug in & saved face. The media seemed to be mocking The Rams.

F” those mother Tuckers reports.
-Sort of even upset with JR,but I guess it was Mcvay put some REAL THOUGHT in what The Rams will look like under the remaining of his Rams contract.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Now that Ram coaching hires are official, I have a theory.

We now know that Jimmy Lake is Assistant Head Coach and Raheem Morris is retained as DC. Doesn’t that make Lake higher in the chain of command?

We know that Morris is a close friend of McVay.

We know that Morris ran a very polarizing ‘ultra soft zone’ more last year than any other D.

We know that 9 former Ram asst coaches have been hired to replace many of last year versions.

We know that only one former Ram assistant was promoted (Brown), that all others were simply offloaded in one way or another. Presumably because they just weren’t considered good enough?

We know that Jourdan alluded to one of McVay’s ‘22 frustrations was with asst coaches that he was forced to rush in the hiring process. Didn’t give him proper feedback and didn’t get good results.

We know that both Pleasant and Lake naturally favor a more aggressive type of pass D in their respective pasts.

Sooooo…

Would it be so far fetched to suggest that McVay wanted to tighten up his pass D strategy on D this year but without embarrassing his friend Raheem? And that hiring new blood for coaching his secondary might give Raheem a ‘nudge’ that would be more subtle (and face-saving) than some other possibilities that might prove a Raheem embarrassment and be far more public? Such as a ‘pretend new job title’ while giving another the real job of DC? Or an outright demotion or even termination?

I submit that at the very least we will see Lake/Pleasant ‘helping’ Morris transition to a less extreme soft zone D this year.

Now, the Rams no doubt know that they need to address TWO holes at edge, 1 or 2 holes on DL, and possibly TWO holes at CB plus at least one hole at S if Scott leaves. This is true even if my theory about Lake/Morris/Pleasant is way off. Whew!

Potentially lots of moving parts at work here.

Thoughts?

Tano

Legend

We now know that Jimmy Lake is Assistant Head Coach and Raheem Morris is retained as DC. Doesn’t that make Lake higher in the chain of command?

We know that Morris ran a very polarizing ‘ultra soft zone’ more last year than any other D.

We know that 9 former Ram asst coaches have been hired to replace many of last year versions.

We know that only one former Ram assistant was promoted (Brown), that all others were simply offloaded in one way or another. Presumably because they just weren’t considered good enough?

We know that Jourdan alluded to one of McVay’s ‘22 frustrations was with asst coaches that he was forced to rush in the hiring process. Didn’t give him proper feedback and didn’t get good results.

We know that both Pleasant and Lake naturally favor a more aggressive type of pass D in their respective pasts.

Sooooo…

Would it be so far fetched to suggest that McVay wanted to tighten up his pass D strategy on D this year but without embarrassing his friend Raheem? And that hiring new blood for coaching his secondary might give Raheem a ‘nudge’ that would be more subtle (and face-saving) than some other possibilities that might prove a Raheem embarrassment and be far more public? Such as a ‘pretend new job title’ while giving another the real job of DC? Or an outright demotion or even termination?

I submit that at the very least we will see Lake/Pleasant ‘helping’ Morris transition to a less extreme soft zone D this year.

Now, the Rams no doubt know that they need to address TWO holes at edge, 1 or 2 holes on DL, and possibly TWO holes at CB plus at least one hole at S if Scott leaves. This is true even if my theory about Lake/Morris/Pleasant is way off. Whew!

Thoughts?
Actually I would not have a problem with Raheem if he did a less extreme soft zone D.

One other thing I would like is go to more disguises in the secondary. Don't let the other team know what you are going to do each play.

If Raheem just does the above two items, then I think Raheem could be a very good DC.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Actually I would not have a problem with Raheem if he did a less extreme soft zone D.

One other thing I would like is go to more disguises in the secondary. Don't let the other team know what you are going to do each play.

If Raheem just does the above two items, then I think Raheem could be a very good DC.
Don’t get the Raheem Morris Haters,but like them coming to the realization that he will be back as The Rams DC.
The Colts just played the game so they didn’t lose a draft pick like Miami lossing their FIRST ROUND PICK. Moving The Rams up 1 more pick in the 2nd rd.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Sooooo…

Thoughts?

Oh Yeah we know so much!

LMAO Beake gets moved to the Secondary. Shula to LBers coach.

We know SO MUCH -lol

I know all THESE MORRIS still can’t get over he is going into his 3rd season as DC.

I will say that LAKE being the assistant HC is interesting.

My first question back to you before bringing up your SO CALLED theory on Raheem Morris . IS WHO we’re The Rams assistant HC under Sean Mcvay in the past(since 2017) & what did that look like?

The Thomas Brown Project- he took over The Job he had since he was a Rams coach. The TE’s or TE as it almost was until Zak Kromer being the TE’s coach seemed to be better.

Let’s start by having more than 2TE’s on the roster.Just LMAO even more was that practice squad(TE) guy Thomas HITTING MCVAY putting on his helmet running onto the field.

That was what 2022 brought.It was a disaster from the start,but where you get some of these theories of us knowing I question.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yes, I would love this to be put to bed for at least a few years. Glad McVay said this.

View: https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/status/1634223584372555778?s=20

Yeah it's good that he's thinking of the fan base and organization on all this. I am sure he's going through balance issues with his beautiful bride and starting a family and all that, but these are things that everybody figures out no matter how difficult the job is. He may work long hours and have the team on his mind as head coach but at least he's not on deployment for nine months in the gulf or working two or three jobs to pay for a shitty apartment.

I love the guy as our head coach even though I give him shit. Hoping we get several more years of him in charge too. There really isn't any other head coach I would prefer to have, which to me still feels really weird being a Rams fan. We are blessed still, even with cap fallout and chicken little media overreactions about everything we do.

Would it be so far fetched to suggest that McVay wanted to tighten up his pass D strategy on D this year but without embarrassing his friend Raheem?
No. In fact it would be an example of you acting like your Captain Obvious suggestion is a revelation.

WestCoastRam

Legend

Sooooo…

Thoughts?

I think people will be sorely disappointed in the defense next season. The point of this "retool" is to keep the defense conservative while fixing the offense so that they can score a ton of points and be able to slow down the opponent on D.

We might see some changes on the margin with better coaching in the secondary (*more takeaways?) on more chances being taken with press or close coverage but it's all about the shell baby. I don't see anything really wrong with the defense, I think Morris was hamstrung last year by a lack of pass rush but I think he could be a better play caller than he is too, knowing when to break the rules of the defense and call a blitz vs simulated pressure. He seems to offer B+ level coaching across a lot of dimensions but I don't love his feel for the game as a playcaller.

*BTW, I would love to see some data on takeaways on defense last few years, seems like it really plummeted.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Zak Kromer as assistant OL Coach.He has been a KEY to The Offensive Line since he was a Rams coach.

It was sort of funny,before really any of US knew about Sean Mcvay & The Coaching Staff Aaron Kromer & Zak Kromer we’re sitting together with binoculars like Belacheat & his son did for years.
Thought that was cool.They were representing the NEW Rams coaching staff. He also helped his dad set up the next station of drills keeping his dad focused.
Andy Dickerson was there was well,but Zak Kromer was always working with the group.

I liked when he became The Rams TE coach & when he took over The 1 thing any Observer would notice was The Protection & more 12 player O’sets.When he was working with that group he would help The TE on the BLOCKING DRILLS. That group would jump in & get in there stances & do different drills.

Reason for this is when The Rams were wondering about Ryan Wendell the signing made sense.Aaron Kromer still has a relationship Mcvay.This should be a New Energized group.
—Nick Jones gets moved to assistant offensive coach. Switching spots with Zak Kromer.

Tano

Legend
I think people will be sorely disappointed in the defense next season. The point of this "retool" is to keep the defense conservative while fixing the offense so that they can score a ton of points and be able to slow down the opponent on D.

We might see some changes on the margin with better coaching in the secondary (*more takeaways?) on more chances being taken with press or close coverage but it's all about the shell baby. I don't see anything really wrong with the defense, I think Morris was hamstrung last year by a lack of pass rush but I think he could be a better play caller than he is too, knowing when to break the rules of the defense and call a blitz vs simulated pressure. He seems to offer B+ level coaching across a lot of dimensions but I don't love his feel for the game as a playcaller.

*BTW, I would love to see some data on takeaways on defense last few years, seems like it really plummeted.
In an 8 game stretch last year, we had 1 takeaway. Just one.

And then when we did get an interception, they were almost always inside the 30 on our side of the field.

The only time I can remember us getting an interception on the opponents side of the field is when Hill intercepted Allen in the first game and Ramsey intercepted Gino in the last game when he was playing press coverage.

Someone correct me on this if I am wrong. I am going entirely on memory.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Shula being brought back to LBEr coach is a Big Deal.He almost got a Job as a DC
Reporters were making it out to be believed he was not going to be A RAMS COACH?

He was the DB’s coach. Another Mcvay coaching move that was very questionable last season. That group IMO struggled.He was a little in over his head.

Ram43 wants up to think all that we KNOW!! What do WE KNOW?

As of now a lot more now than when reports of coaches being hired.

Beake is a Rams secondary coach from Linebackers Coach.He took over for Chris Shula only to be following him in a weird way.
Shula moves back to Linebackers coach,but takes over as Run Game Coordinator.He called defensive plays last preseason as well with Eric Henderson.
How both Henderson & Shula are the run game coordinator seems more as a money & résumé thing?

Tano

Legend
Don’t get the Raheem Morris Haters,but like them coming to the realization that he will be back as The Rams DC.
The Colts just played the game so they didn’t lose a draft pick like Miami lossing their FIRST ROUND PICK. Moving The Rams up 1 more pick in the 2nd rd.
I have stated many reasons why I dislike Morris defense is because we allow opponents long drives against below average QBs who take advantage of the soft zone.

The two games that really soured me on Morris last year was against the Saints (Dalton) and Cardinals (McCoy). Those two teams were very poor on offense and yet they drove up and down the field all game against us.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah it's good that he's thinking of the fan base and organization on all this. I am sure he's going through balance issues with his beautiful bride and starting a family and all that, but these are things that everybody figures out no matter how difficult the job is. He may work long hours and have the team on his mind as head coach but at least he's not on deployment for nine months in the gulf or working two or three jobs to pay for a shitty apartment.

I love the guy as our head coach even though I give him shit. Hoping we get several more years of him in charge too. There really isn't any other head coach I would prefer to have, which to me still feels really weird being a Rams fan. We are blessed still, even with cap fallout and chicken little media overreactions about everything we do.

No. In fact it would be an example of you acting like your Captain Obvious suggestion is a revelation.
About that Captain Obvious crack, Merlin.

To you and I certain things might seem obvious. But some other posters are so dug in on defending Morris on anything and everything that one must build their case with logic and in small steps, much like constructing a brick wall in order to minimize any misunderstanding.

Even so, it has gone over the head of at least one poster who shall remain unnamed here. Lol.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
About that Captain Obvious crack, Merlin.

To you and I certain things might seem obvious. But some other posters are so dug in on defending Morris on anything and everything that one must build their case with logic and in small steps, much like constructing a brick wall in order to minimize any misunderstanding.

Even so, it has gone over the head of at least one poster who shall remain unnamed here. Lol.
Just giving you shit 43. Didn't mean it in a bad way, though after re-reading it... Probably could have phrased that better. Cheers man.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I have stated many reasons why I dislike Morris defense is because we allow opponents long drives against below average QBs who take advantage of the soft zone.

The two games that really soured me on Morris last year was against the Saints (Dalton) and Cardinals (McCoy). Those two teams were very poor on offense and yet they drove up and down the field all game against us.
That fubar of allowing that final Brady drive with no timeouts and not protecting the sidelines was the last straw for me.

I wanted to throw something through my beautiful TV after that one. Took me days to get over it.

Tano

Legend
That fubar of allowing that final Brady drive with no timeouts and not protecting the sidelines was the last straw for me.

I wanted to throw something through my beautiful TV after that one. Took me days to get over it.
Yeah I was fairly pissed off after that game.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

So 238 yard passing & 1 TD is what makes you sour?

260 yards & 3 TD’s ,but that 53 yards TD to Olave upset me the most.That was the game breaking play. We’re The Rams Blitzing & not in a bubble coverage? How does that guy get deep for that play?

I think it’s a WEAK CASE,but then again I stay in the moment. The Tampa Bay PISSED me off.Kupp not going for a first down & or not getting out of bounds.I say that after watching Bobby Evans getting beat all game. Then Taylor Rapp just getting picked on.
I sort of think Derion Kendrick is going to be a stud CB in the NFL.That PI was BS,but then again Philly lost in a similar type of call(PI).
—Still I just LOL at how some just want to jump all over Raheem Morris. This thread might have even started before The Rams won The Superbowl in 2021/22.

Tano

Legend
So 238 yard passing & 1 TD is what makes you sour?

260 yards & 3 TD’s ,but that 53 yards TD to Olave upset me the most.That was the game breaking play. We’re The Rams Blitzing & not in a bubble coverage? How does that guy get deep for that play?

I think it’s a WEAK CASE,but then again I stay in the moment. The Tampa Bay PISSED me off.Kupp not going for a first down & or not getting out of bounds.I say that after watching Bobby Evans getting beat all game. Then Taylor Rapp just getting picked on.
I sort of think Derion Kendrick is going to be a stud CB in the NFL.That PI was BS,but then again Philly lost in a similar type of call(PI).
—Still I just LOL at how some just want to jump all over Raheem Morris. This thread might have even started before The Rams won The Superbowl in 2021/22.
Yes it makes me sour because I do NOT go by stats. I go by game flow and the Cardinals and Saints went up and down the field with ease until they got inside the 20. I have already said many many many times that I like his inside the 20 defense. But giving up easy FGs or Field position inside the 25 every single time with our shitty offense is just asking the other team to win with a low scoring game. With our offense, we needed to be aggressive by playing our CBs closer to the line of scrimmage (especially on 3rd and short) and going for turnovers and sacks. By playing off the line of scrimmage like that made our ALL TIME GREAT Donald be a JAG.

I can't say this enough. 2.38 seconds to get a pass off when the next closest team was .5 seconds longer is just terrible.

And I do not have as high an upside as Kendrick as you do.

He is just a so so CB and should be at best a slot CB

Last edited: