OFFICIAL Rams 2022 NFL draft visits

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Maybe it's as simple as McVay realizing that the run game is stalled without a lead blocker, i.e. FB or HB. Simple film study would show how many runs would have been productive had there been a lead blocker who can blow a LB out of a gap. Short yardage is where it shows most. Stafford sneaking is dumb. Two players the Rams cannot afford to lose are Stafford and Kupp. Very poor resource management to continually expose them to injury for a yard. The 3 inside OL open the gap but without a lead blocker, it's idiotic to expect the RB to break the tackle of the ILB who moves to fill the gap on every run.

In McVay's offense, the passing game is used to set up the run attack. That's not what he wants but that is the end result of poor run play design. As long as the MIKE stays put the Rams can't run inside without a lead blocker. That's why I've said the passing attack must be used to shift the focus of the MIKE to open the run instead of the reverse.

McVay wants consistency in the run attack but hasn't done enough to enable it. FBs are cheap so they aren't exactly cap breakers. A FB can be your #4 RB, i.e. a part-time player. A 7th round pick or UDFA having the desired traits to be coached up in blocking technique. A small price to pay to jump start the run attack.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Maybe it's as simple as McVay realizing that the run game is stalled without a lead blocker, i.e. FB or HB. Simple film study would show how many runs would have been productive had there been a lead blocker who can blow a LB out of a gap. Short yardage is where it shows most. Stafford sneaking is dumb. Two players the Rams cannot afford to lose are Stafford and Kupp. Very poor resource management to continually expose them to injury for a yard. The 3 inside OL open the gap but without a lead blocker, it's idiotic to expect the RB to break the tackle of the ILB who moves to fill the gap on every run.

In McVay's offense, the passing game is used to set up the run attack. That's not what he wants but that is the end result of poor run play design. As long as the MIKE stays put the Rams can't run inside without a lead blocker. That's why I've said the passing attack must be used to shift the focus of the MIKE to open the run instead of the reverse.

McVay wants consistency in the run attack but hasn't done enough to enable it. FBs are cheap so they aren't exactly cap breakers. A FB can be your #4 RB, i.e. a part-time player. A 7th round pick or UDFA having the desired traits to be coached up in blocking technique. A small price to pay to jump start the run attack.
Oldschool has a point, in that they will most likely look to replace Mundt, who filled that role extremely effectively.

I don't have the stats but we looked better running the ball before he was injured

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Oldschool has a point, in that they will most likely look to replace Mundt, who filled that role extremely effectively.

I don't have the stats but we looked better running the ball before he was injured
McVay had been working with Johnny Mundt since 2017 to get him up to where he was getting valuable reps with his offense in 2021. That's a long long time.

McVay's running offense took a big hit when Mundt went down IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah this is the year to snap up a TE. I want Ferguson but there are multiple good options for sure. Only question is fitting that in with edge and corner needs.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yeah this is the year to snap up a TE. I want Ferguson but there are multiple good options for sure. Only question is fitting that in with edge and corner needs.

I'd kill to have Cade Otton (he's likely going late second/early third), but I'd be fine with Jalen Wydermyer in the fifth round; he's really slipping because of his forty time, but he's an excellent receiving tight end with potential for blocking.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
McVay had been working with Johnny Mundt since 2017 to get him up to where he was getting valuable reps with his offense in 2021. That's a long long time.

McVay's running offense took a big hit when Mundt went down IMO.

With the last 3 games of the playoffs we were lead to think that Mundt's presence was perhaps missed. But after he went down vs NYG the Rams had 5+ games with over 100 rushing yards, highest being 165. Early part of the season there were some games under 100 rushing too, with two 100+ games before he got hurt, and one of the 100s he played 20+ snaps and the other under 5. His loss in FA was not necessarily the Rams' loss looking at these numbers.

Someone would have to go through early 2021 Rams games though to see the exact impact with him on the field. Either way we know the Rams need a better blocker at TE to compliment Higbee.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
With the last 3 games of the playoffs we were lead to think that Mundt's presence was perhaps missed. But after he went down vs NYG the Rams had 5+ games with over 100 rushing yards, highest being 165. Early part of the season there were some games under 100 rushing too, with two 100+ games before he got hurt, and one of the 100s he played 20+ snaps and the other under 5. His loss in FA was not necessarily the Rams' loss looking at these numbers.

Someone would have to go through early 2021 Rams games though to see the exact impact with him on the field. Either way we know the Rams need a better blocker at TE to compliment Higbee.

While the need for a reliable blocking TE was/is acute, Mundt was basically a jag and never really the answer imo.
Following a couple games where we relied more on WR and RB blocking, McVay finally tried experimenting with the 'jumbo' 6'th offensive lineman in place of a blocking TE, and it didn't really take with Noteboom or Evans, while later Coleman Shelton actually had some brief success. I never really understood why McSnead didn't raid another teams practice squad for some additional help.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I like the idea of grabbing one of these punters. There are some big legs.

Hekker when he was booming them was a game changer.

I’d be looking at all these punters.

Snead doesn't collect all those 6'th round picks for nothing lol, ... whether it be Araiza or Stout, I suspect it may be one of them.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So do the Rams look at him as a weapon to complete the team and use a third round pick on Ariana? That is where several draft sites project him.
I'd rather not he's far from the only punter that would be an upgrade for us at the position.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
This may sound silly to some but I speculate that it’s the agents getting kickbacks for letting other teams know which teams like their clients.

Maybe it could be scouts trying to make some extra cash. I’d want all of that info on lockdown.
That doesn’t seem so far fetched to me. I let it out that there are 3 teams interested in my client, and maybe he gets picked a round or two sooner than expected.
=more $$.