Rams 2020 Draft Class

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This will be season three for the 2020 draft class and the old saying goes that you need 3 years to grade a draft. So what do we think about this class folks (yes this is a projection question!):

Rams 2020 draft picks:
RB Cam Akers, FSU
WR Van Jefferson, Florida
LB Terrell Lewis, Alabama
S Terrell Burgess, Utah
TE Brycen Hopkins, Purdue
S Jordan Fuller, Ohio State
LB Clay Johnston, Baylor
K Sam Sloman, Miami (OH)

G Tremayne Anchrum, Clemson

Talk about a group of guys who are all up to bat with runners in scoring position eh? The class is long on upside still I think, with Fuller being the early headliner and Jefferson serving as a valuable depth option thus far. But Fuller had a bit of a down year last season and Burgess is still pending. Kind of weird to say that I'm still sitting here hoping to see arrival for just about every one of them, and this class sort of revolves around whether Akers can stay on the field. If I had to give a grade right now I think we're looking at a C+, though it will look much better if Akers beasts and someone else steps up like maybe Hopkins or Jefferson and win more snaps.

Rams 2020 UDFAs:
QB Bryce Perkins, Virginia
DT Michael Hoecht, Brown
RB Xavier Jones, Southern Methodist
WR JJ Koski, Cal Poly
LB Christian Rozeboom, South Dakota St
DT Jonah Williams, Weber St

I will say right away that the UDFA group looks solid. The quality is primarily in the QB Perkins and DTs Hoecht and Williams, but they also got some core teamers like Rozeboom who found his way onto the field a bit last season. And if Perkins can challenge for or even win that QB2 role I have to say that would greatly affect how I see this class overall, just due to the difficulty of finding quality signal callers. Guessing that Jones, Koski, and Rozeboom time out this year and end up on the practice squad at best. Really looking forward to seeing Perkins/Hoecht/Williams in preseason.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
This will be season three for the 2020 draft class and the old saying goes that you need 3 years to grade a draft. So what do we think about this class folks (yes this is a projection question!):

Rams 2020 draft picks:
RB Cam Akers, FSU
S Terrell Burgess, Utah
LB Clay Johnston, Baylor
K Sam Sloman, Miami (OH)

Talk about a group of guys who are all up to bat with runners in scoring position eh? The class is long on upside still I think, with Fuller being the early headliner and Jefferson serving as a valuable depth option thus far. But Fuller had a bit of a down year last season and Burgess is still pending. Kind of weird to say that I'm still sitting here hoping to see arrival for just about every one of them, and this class sort of revolves around whether Akers can stay on the field. If I had to give a grade right now I think we're looking at a C+, though it will look much better if Akers beasts and someone else steps up like maybe Hopkins or Jefferson and win more snaps.

Rams 2020 UDFAs:
DT Michael Hoecht, Brown
WR JJ Koski, Cal Poly

I will say right away that the UDFA group looks solid. The quality is primarily in the QB Perkins and DTs Hoecht and Williams, but they also got some core teamers like Rozeboom who found his way onto the field a bit last season. And if Perkins can challenge for or even win that QB2 role I have to say that would greatly affect how I see this class overall, just due to the difficulty of finding quality signal callers. Guessing that Jones, Koski, and Rozeboom time out this year and end up on the practice squad at best. Really looking forward to seeing Perkins/Hoecht/Williams in preseason.
I'd call the draft class an A at this point.
Akers injury happened.. but you got an upper-half of the league starter with that pick, so that was solid.
Van Jefferson is a starter based on his 875 snaps.. so, that's two.
And Jordan Fuller was a starter from go.
Add to that a guy who has flashed as a rotational player in Lewis... a guy who made plays when needed in the SB in Hopkins.. and a couple of backups on the roster in Burgess and Anchrum.
What's more.. Clay Johnston was a good pick.. who they lost through what I would call extenuating circumstances. If his dad wasn't the strength coach with Carolina, I think the Rams are able to stash and develop him on the PS as a depth ILB/ST guy.

Injuries happen.. I don't believe Akers was a gamble on that front, so I'm not marking them down for that. Lewis? We can absolutely hold them accountable for that... but he hasn't been a bust.

Yep.. solid UDFA class as well.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd call the draft class an A at this point.
Maybe not an "A", but they have gotten a lot of production out of that group, including the UDFAs. Can't wait to do this next year AFTER year 3. How about we do a 2019 draft review, Merlin? Or have we done that already?

Psycho_X

Legend
Rams 2020 draft picks:
RB Cam Akers, FSU
S Terrell Burgess, Utah
LB Clay Johnston, Baylor
K Sam Sloman, Miami (OH)

If Akers didn't get injured we'd probably call this an A but I can't quite do that yet. But it has A+ potential. Akers and Lewis being able to stay healthy and produce to their talent levels for a whole season will boost this class to that level. Fuller and Jefferson are already starters in this league all though with some struggles they need to clean up. Burgess showed out rookie season until injury and then disappeared in a bigger mystery than Jimmy Hoffa. Hopkins was roadkill and left for dead to all Rams fans and suddenly rose out of the grave and lit up the field in the biggest stage in all of sports at the Super Bowl. If he can build off that there is a prime spot for him on this roster. Anchrum is serviceable depth.

Ultimately injury history has kept this class down but the potential is there for greatness.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Starters
Akers is a good starting runngback in rotation
Jefferson is a good #3 receiver
Fuller is an average safety.

Lewis chronic injury
Burgess who knows. May barely see the field if at all
Hopkins fourth string Tight end when Mundt was here.

I give it a B

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Good topic and something we should do every year.

This front office, scouts and coaches have shown the ability to find good players and make them work in a program that goes against some traditional how to do it schemes.

Right now I have to go with a B and see what happens this year. There is potential for this group to go great or flunk out.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Any draft you can add three starters, especially without a 1st round pick, is a very good draft. And it's not like other bottom of the league teams that have no where to go but up we added three starters to a very good roster. Add in good depth with Hopkins and Anchrum and it gets better. The UDFA also added people who stuck on the roster. Not sure there's anything to complain about in hindsight.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
I agree with OS. Given no first round pick and our roster at the time, Snead filled/backfilled with this draft and hit on most of them given the position they were drafted. And let's remember, Lewis was a first round talent the whole NFL knew would likely have injury concerns. Selecting him where we did was a calculated risk, not a "miss." Snead knew if he could get a healthy year/years from him, he had a chance to make an impact and he also knew it might never happen. He just had a roster that allowed him the option to take the chance.

His "hits" on UFDA's is pretty remarkable. Look at that list and consider we just won the SB two years later while some were rostered.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any draft you can add three starters, especially without a 1st round pick, is a very good draft. And it's not like other bottom of the league teams that have no where to go but up we added three starters to a very good roster. Add in good depth with Hopkins and Anchrum and it gets better. The UDFA also added people who stuck on the roster. Not sure there's anything to complain about in hindsight.
Agreed on three starters being a good draft.

Thing is none of the three have really wowed at all. It's a real muted group in that way, meaning it would have been nice to see one be a plus starter, but I'll admit there's a good chance Akers would have been had he not been hurt. But he did get hurt, and he did miss the entire season. So that really hurt the class I think because each of the three starter types they drafted has some questions around them still.

Jefferson is a starter, but is gonna need that third year of growth to determine whether he's a marginal possession type or maybe something more.

Fuller was a revelation in 2020 but marginal in 2021. Which guy is he.

This is going to be a really interesting year for the class for sure.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed on three starters being a good draft.

Thing is none of the three have really wowed at all. It's a real muted group in that way, meaning it would have been nice to see one be a plus starter, but I'll admit there's a good chance Akers would have been had he not been hurt. But he did get hurt, and he did miss the entire season. So that really hurt the class I think because each of the three starter types they drafted has some questions around them still.

Jefferson is a starter, but is gonna need that third year of growth to determine whether he's a marginal possession type or maybe something more.

Fuller was a revelation in 2020 but marginal in 2021. Which guy is he.

This is going to be a really interesting year for the class for sure.
They don't have to be all pro's to be good draft picks btw. And I would argue his rookie year Akers actually did WOW us all. The injury makes it uncertain.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Definitely some solid guys in that class. Akers, Jefferson, and Fuller were definitely good picks and all have started and made significant contributions to this team. I'm still waiting for someone to invent the bionic knee replacement so that Lewis can be a full-time guy; he's got first round talent when healthy. Burgess? Well, that's still a wait and see. Anchrum seems like he'll at least be decent depth. I've been mostly down on Hopkins since he got here, although credit where it's due, he really stepped up and produced at precisely the moment he absolutely had to. I don't know if that portends more in the future, but I'm crossing my fingers.

If Hopkins became a productive TE for us and we could figure out how to keep Lewis on the field, this draft would become an A+.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’m waffling between A- and B+ here.

Considering Snead had no 1st it’s a VERY solid draft.

If Akers can stay healthy then this could be an A+ draft in hindsight.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Rams 2020 draft picks:
RB Cam Akers, FSU
S Terrell Burgess, Utah
LB Clay Johnston, Baylor
K Sam Sloman, Miami (OH)

Rams 2020 UDFAs:
DT Michael Hoecht, Brown
WR JJ Koski, Cal Poly

Looks like a very solid B+.

Just paging thru the link below, Snead has been solid for many years.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Looks like a very solid B+.

Just paging thru the link below, Snead has been solid for many years.

You think ?

Look at that trade’s his rookie GM season under Fisher.

Les Snead is awesome & amazing.Just think how much he & The Rams have evolved as a franchise? SAINT WHO?
God must be a Rams Fan.

Ever heard of a pyramid scheme ? LMAO! The only one’s that make out are The 1’s on Top!

John Wooden was great & some say he was a professional coach. Lol.
I go back a ways in sports. Then again I watch the top 100 greatest players of All-Time. Belacheat does a good job there. Point being there is such a deep past history that is easy to forget about.

Sean Mcvay though gets it & puts himself into a situation that he knows will keep him successful.

You look at all the turnaround & players who have come in & out of those THousand Oaks Doors.Makes me think Joe Montana blessed the area & Kobe went to the heavens there. Just a flash of Soorts memories of that area.

McSnead was a classic name at the being,but they both deserve so much credit on the relationship & what they both do. As well as Kevin Demoff & having a Sports Owner like Stan Kronke.

Stan Kronke could be The Best Sports Owner in History? Whose House?
I’ll always say Stan’s House.

My Fields of Dreams. Just went to a concert next door & yelled,Danced & Sang. Crazy Old Sole & getting older.