Rams' 2015 draft grade improves on Kiper's second look

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' 2015 draft grade improves on Kiper's second look
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...015-draft-grade-improve-on-kipers-second-look

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The Los Angeles Rams had a meat-and-potatoes 2015 NFL draft, stocking up on offensive linemen and adding running back Todd Gurley to try to make coach Jeff Fisher's run-first philosophy take off.

When it was over, ESPN NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. wasn't all that impressed, giving the Rams a 'C' in his initial draft grades. That's about as average as it gets. On Wednesday, Kiper looked back on each draft class and offered a new grade for every team, including the Rams.

Upon further review, Kiper saw enough to boost the Rams up to a B-minus. Kiper gave the Rams credit for Gurley's selection and the work he did in 2015, but also noted that if you draft a running back at No. 10 overall, you had better get a lot of production. Of course, he also pointed out that the Seattle Seahawks got talented rookie running back Thomas Rawls as an undrafted free agent.

Beyond Gurley, Kiper also praised the work of rookie right tackle Rob Havenstein, who steadily improved as the season progressed.

Overall, it's hard to argue with Kiper's assessment, though I think the Rams found some talented young offensive linemen with some upside that will become more evident as they gain experience. Havenstein should only get better and guards Jamon Brown and Cody Wichmann flashed potential at various points. One of those two guards, if not both, should be able to develop into a solid starter.

If the Rams can get anything long-term from quarterback Sean Mannion, it would undoubtedly improve how this class is viewed.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes Fisher & Snead did not do well on a 7th #277 pick or the 6th #201pick but it sure looks like they got four rookie starters form their 1st, 2nd, 3rd(#72) & 6th (#215) picks. Their 4th rd'er looks like a good back up ORT & he started two games. I just happen to think the 7th rd (#224) pick was a very good MLB'er find & I am looking forward to watching him grow.

Kiper & most others like him do not see much in the big ugly OL'ers & when you draft 4 of them you know the sport press ratings on that draft will be very low. Its those flashy bright fast glow in the dark picks that gets their attentions.

I am extremely happy with Fishers/Snead's 2015 draft along with the good five UDFA's too:bow:.

Last edited:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
What's it gonna take for an A? We got the best RB, and the best T. Arguably one of the better G too in Brown. Whichmann looks like a steal too.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hmm. So getting a pro bowler, offensive rookie of the year at #10, and getting a quality starting OT in the second, AND getting some other players who contributed significantly starting on the OL and look to improve, is only worth a B-? Tough grader.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
What's it gonna take for an A? We got the best RB, and the best T. Arguably one of the better G too in Brown. Whichmann looks like a steal too.

Kiper being able to set his ego aside and evaluate based on the merits alone ... something we shouldn't hold our breath waiting for.