Rams 2015 Defensive "Big Safety Base" trending more play?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Or just a passing event left on the field in 2014? If so the Rams sure are loaded with a large amount of safeties in which most are larger strong safety types.

After 2014's DC Gregg Williams return marriage with Jeff Fisher caused a big change to the amount of size & talent that came in @ safety. Not sure if the early injuries to CB's Johnson, McGee, Jenkins, then later in the season Joyner & Gaines were the main effect????...... but we all saw a large use of Big Safeties over the second half of the season. I thought this mega use of safeties proved to have a positive impact over the later half of the season am I wrong? Are the Rams trending in the increase of the base defense & many styles of Nickles in the play of many safeties?

Rams in the 2014 draft brought youth & talent into the secondary. Grasping using a 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th rd selections on DB's. Joyner was primarily a safety who can play both free & Strong Safety & secondarily Joyner is a Nickle. Mo.Alexander is a little both OLB & SS combo. Gaines is strictly a corner. Christian Bryant is a Strong Safety. After this youthful injection of the above 4 DB's .....Snead continued adding large DB's drafted early using his 2015 draft 4th & 6th selections to secure former 2012 First Rd. top seven pick Strong Safety Mark Barron.

Current Rams secondary is seriously youthful. An accumulative cadre of 9 draft selections since 2012 of a first, 2 -seconds,2-thirds,4th,5th,6th,7th rd picks & two quality UDFA's (Davis & Roberson). Bottom line Gregg erased the use of the 3rd Lb'er from the starting defense & used a safety in various ways in place of it. LB Dunbar did see the field in Goal Line defenses & in relief of JL & Tree but rarely seen on the field in a standard base 4-3-4 defense after the trade of Barron. At the same time I see many posters here have LB'ers as a big need in this upcoming draft?

I sure would like to hear some of you guys thoughts on this & what to expect this trend to affect the 2015 draft & what the defense will look more like this upcoming season.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think it is obvious. They really liked Barron in the draft. They already had TJ McDonald on the roster, yet Fisher described Mo Alexander as a guy he really wanted. He said if they missed on Alexander that he would be 'Bobby Wagner'mad. Refering to when the Rams miscalculated and traded out of the spot in which they should have taken Wagner.

So they HAD to have Alexander despite having two safeties. Why? Because they wanted that third safety to mirror mobile QBs, speed to close on sideline passes, blitz ability, coverage ability and Smacking ability. Then Barron becomes available and he is a better version of Mo and the Rams trade for him just for this specific role. They don't emphasize over drafting Alexander and trading picks for Barron if they don't plan on using them.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Snead continued adding large DB's drafted early using his 2015 draft 4th & 6th selections to secure former 2012 First Rd. top seven pick Strong Safety Mark Barron.
I didn't like this move at the time, But it sure looks like a great move in retrospect!!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I didn't like this move at the time, But it sure looks like a great move in retrospect!!

It especially makes sense once we saw how Barron was being used. The less mobile Dunbar out.......faster Barron in.

Then just recently Fisher explained that he and Snead don't really regard the upcoming draft as being very deep, so using a 4th and 6th on an impact player makes even more sense.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
This alignment allows the Rams to be more creative with some blitzes and in pass coverage than a base 4-3-4 but it still offers a physical presence in the run game. Overall it seemed to be pretty effective however it did not work as well against the Giants. I think GW still needs to be wary of over using it as a base defense because over time I think coordinators will find more ways to exploit it.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Or just a passing event left on the field in 2014? If so the Rams sure are loaded with a large amount of safeties in which most are larger strong safety types.

After 2014's DC Gregg Williams return marriage with Jeff Fisher caused a big change to the amount of size & talent that came in @ safety. Not sure if the early injuries to CB's Johnson, McGee, Jenkins, then later in the season Joyner & Gaines were the main effect????...... but we all saw a large use of Big Safeties over the second half of the season. I thought this mega use of safeties proved to have a positive impact over the later half of the season am I wrong? Are the Rams trending in the increase of the base defense & many styles of Nickles in the play of many safeties?

Rams in the 2014 draft brought youth & talent into the secondary. Grasping using a 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th rd selections on DB's. Joyner was primarily a safety who can play both free & Strong Safety & secondarily Joyner is a Nickle. Mo.Alexander is a little both OLB & SS combo. Gaines is strictly a corner. Christian Bryant is a Strong Safety. After this youthful injection of the above 4 DB's .....Snead continued adding large DB's drafted early using his 2015 draft 4th & 6th selections to secure former 2012 First Rd. top seven pick Strong Safety Mark Barron.

Current Rams secondary is seriously youthful. An accumulative cadre of 9 draft selections since 2012 of a first, 2 -seconds,2-thirds,4th,5th,6th,7th rd picks & two quality UDFA's (Davis & Roberson). Bottom line Gregg erased the use of the 3rd Lb'er from the starting defense & used a safety in various ways in place of it. LB Dunbar did see the field in Goal Line defenses & in relief of JL & Tree but rarely seen on the field in a standard base 4-3-4 defense after the trade of Barron. At the same time I see many posters here have LB'ers as a big need in this upcoming draft?

I sure would like to hear some of you guys thoughts on this & what to expect this trend to affect the 2015 draft & what the defense will look more like this upcoming season.

Outstanding post, BonifayRam, as usual...

I think the "Big Safety" base is the result of a continuing evolution in an effort to counter the modern WR's and TE's that are now being deployed. A semi outside the box solution, if you will.

Gotta applaud GW for being perhaps a step ahead of the curve, huh?

Not to say that LB depth would not be a good thing, of course.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I think it is obvious. They really liked Barron in the draft. They already had TJ McDonald on the roster, yet Fisher described Mo Alexander as a guy he really wanted. He said if they missed on Alexander that he would be 'Bobby Wagner'mad. Refering to when the Rams miscalculated and traded out of the spot in which they should have taken Wagner.

So they HAD to have Alexander despite having two safeties. Why? Because they wanted that third safety to mirror mobile QBs, speed to close on sideline passes, blitz ability, coverage ability and Smacking ability. Then Barron becomes available and he is a better version of Mo and the Rams trade for him just for this specific role. They don't emphasize over drafting Alexander and trading picks for Barron if they don't plan on using them.

I wonder if they might eventually use Barron/TJ as the two main safeties and Mo in that SS/LB hybrid role that Barron currently has. They could create a huge athletic physical defense with those 3. Teams would shit their pants with those 3 + Ogletree roaming around ready to light guys up. This is of course only if TJ/Barron has the ability to be a decent FS.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
running backs are smaller and faster and every advantage is going to a pass happy league so why not evolve your linebackers into hard hitting safeties

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Agree with the OP that it's a trend that will continue. Only way that changes is if they bring in an OLB that they think gives them a stronger front 7 than Barron or TJM in the box. Which is unlikely since the only LB that I think would meet that criteria in this draft is Fowler and he's gonna go very early and probably to a 3-4 team that will use him as a rush end.

As to the depth... Mo was raw but very talented and they're going to have him pushing for a job at some point. Plus with McLeod looking at FA after next season I think there's a good chance they will be ready to have one of TJM/Barron/Alexander step into the role as the back end leader who roams the deep middle and gets everyone set up. If not, then they re-sign McLeod and keep that depth employed on special teams. It's all good, but either way the Rams have one of the youngest and most talented secondaries in the league right now and under GW it is almost certain to be one of the best next year.

Rams don't have to touch either CB or S right now, unless they see value they can't pass up on. I am very happy with the defense right now and think our safety-heavy scheme will annihilate offenses next year.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Yes it seems the big safety is the permanent replacement for a #3 LB, and the Rams appear to have plenty of able bodies to man the position. However before we applaud GW too much, remember the travesty it created versus the Giants when Barron was absolutely comical getting torched when placed back in deep coverage. The defense still has need for two free safeties at times, that's where the Rams should fill a hole in the offseason, another free safety. Also, the Rams have need at LB even if the #3 position has very limited snaps because for too long the Rams have coasted assuming JL or Ogletree won't be injured. Must assume one or both will be injured at some point and have something more than just a special teamer on the LB depth chart behind them.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder if they might eventually use Barron/TJ as the two main safeties and Mo in that SS/LB hybrid role that Barron currently has. They could create a huge athletic physical defense with those 3. Teams would crap their pants with those 3 + Ogletree roaming around ready to light guys up. This is of course only if TJ/Barron has the ability to be a decent FS.

I'm just not sure that either large safeties McDonald or Barron can play the deep safety position well enough or better than Rodney McLeod or even Lamarcus Joyner. IMO they just do not have the required quickness & coverage skills between them. Barron was traded away from the TB Bucs due to his issues playing deep. Their big talents show up near the LOS. At the same time I agree & sure believe that Fisher & Williams want both Barron & McDonald on the field TOGETHER as much as possible in 2015. Thus that why our DC has moved to field 3 safeties with 2 LB'ers.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agree with the OP that it's a trend that will continue.....

....As to the depth... Mo was raw but very talented and they're going to have him pushing for a job at some point. It's all good, but either way the Rams have one of the youngest and most talented secondaries in the league right now and under GW it is almost certain to be one of the best next year.

Rams don't have to touch either CB or S right now, unless they see value they can't pass up on. I am very happy with the defense right now and think our safety-heavy scheme will annihilate offenses next year.

I think you are on target here I agree. The below lineup & reserve for 2015 in the back seven or eight. It appears to be in excellent shape in our defense when you compare it with our Offense.

CB- Johnson/Gaines/McGee
CB- Jenkins/Roberson
Nickle-Gaines/Joyner/McLeod
SS- McDonald/Davis/Bryant
FS- Joyner/McLeod/Davis
Hybrid LB/SS-Barron/Alexander/Bryant
MB-Lauriniatis/Bates/Dunbar
OB-Ogletree/Dunbar/Herring/McFadden/Alexander

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
It's a great move if we can get him resigned for cheap before free agency starts.

Otherwise, we gave up two draft picks for a part of the season rental. It's like how a lot of people thought the Brandon Lloyd trade for a 5th was great... until he moved on the next season.

BD-TomCat

Rookie
Biggest weakness on this team is a true FS. I seen the 3 safety thing coming because Dunbar is so week in coverage and when the team gave up on Ray Ray. We are in Nickel packages the majority of the time anyway so it only makes since. The only reason why the package has been exploited is because Mcleod is always peeking and jumping routes instead of staying back and making sure no one gets behind him. Look at all the broken coverages the rams have had. The majority of the time Mcleod is involved in the play. Get a True FS and this team will be very nasty on d. Barron and Mcdonald should not be that guy. they excell in the Box and blitzing.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wonder if they might eventually use Barron/TJ as the two main safeties and Mo in that SS/LB hybrid role that Barron currently has. They could create a huge athletic physical defense with those 3. Teams would crap their pants with those 3 + Ogletree roaming around ready to light guys up. This is of course only if TJ/Barron has the ability to be a decent FS.

Regarding Sneads words about wanting to build a dominant D first and foremost makes one wonder what the final plan is. We should know once Mo and Barron are up to speed.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's a great move if we can get him resigned for cheap before free agency starts.

Otherwise, we gave up two draft picks for a part of the season rental. It's like how a lot of people thought the Brandon Lloyd trade for a 5th was great... until he moved on the next season.

I can't imagine Barron wanting to leave a rising young defense with a DC of the level of GW running the show. Success is almost ensured, so I'd guess he will want to stick around.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

I think he has one more year left after this year.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I think he has one more year left after this year.
Huh. You're right. He is under contract for the next year.

Not sure where I got it into my head that his contract was up now.