Raise 'em Up, and Knock 'em Down

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's a disclaimer for all those that feel the need to say :"Who cares what the media says? I don't know why anyone looks at that crap!"

Duly noted.

For everyone else...I was fascinated about the narrative about the new NFL. 5000 passing yards would be standard, and 40 points games would be common, because the defenses have been neutered. The Rams, Chiefs, and to a lesser extent, the Saints were representative of this change.

Chiefs @ Rams in LA was considered the best football game in MNF history, and maybe the best regular season NFL game in history. The media was breathless about this new NFL, but after the the height of this game, it was all downhill for the narrative. Reggie Bush started picking whoever the Rams played after that, to beat them. Kyle Brandt picked the Saints, "because I'm tired of the Rams." The whole media became tired of the Rams...

Then they lost, after almost coming back in the Super Dome. Few remember that when discussing the Saints ongoing coronation, about how close the Rams comeback came...after having played what was a regular season in the early 1960's (12 games) without a break, in a hostile environment and without Talib. Saints deserved the win, but not the present status as unbeatable, especially after the Buccs ownage of them. Rams stumbled against the Bears in Chicago and the Foles led Iggles at home. I have questions about our Oline, which will only be answered in the playoffs, but I really like the switch up by McVay with the 12 personnel offense. Anderson was fantastic and I can envision a ground and pound, 2 back attack with Gurley and him, with a crushing long ball to Woods or Cooks every once in a while.

Back to the media...Now, they only talk about the Rams when they have to. It's the Bears, Saints, and the Iggles...Rams? They were the of the old, disgraced narrative. The New NFL lasted only 12 weeks. Of course, the fickle media will resume it if either the Rams or the Chiefs win it all.

I will be ripping their collective asses for the fickle bastids they are, when 2nd year HC Sean McVay holds the Lombardi HIGH in Atlanta.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm glad they've all put the Rams on the back burner. Not much talk of McVay starting to use 12 formation, increased use of TE's, more jet sweeps. You can be sure Shanahan has noticed.

Rams get to playoffs and teams will only have what they did the first 14 games, mostly 11 personel sets and no film on 12 and 2 back sets.

McVay knows what he's doing.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm glad they've all put the Rams on the back burner. Not much talk of McVay starting to use 12 formation, increased use of TE's, more jet sweeps. You can be sure Shanahan has noticed.

Rams get to playoffs and teams will only have what they did the first 14 games, mostly 11 personel sets and no film on 12 and 2 back sets.

McVay knows what he's doing.
I listen and watch a lot of Rams news....I haven't heard anything about the 12 personnel look that Rams used in Arizona. In fact, we are still stumbling according to all the honks who dismiss the team, without mentioning the 167 yard performance by Anderson, unless they have to...

It was funny when an email/text was read by Shannon Sharpe from Todd Gurley, about Prime not giving the Anderson "The Call" after a 167 yard performance....Deion started saying there were too many good performances, when LT and Sharpe started dogging him him about it, and Prime confessed and blamed those on the show for "making the call.."

They didn't want to give the Rams any credit at all.....Even for a guy who was sitting on his couch the Sunday before, before saying "...hold my beer"...lol

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Offense gets you tons of wins in the regular season, lot of bad teams you can hang points on.

Defense becomes more important in the playoffs. You gotta be able to get through a scrum type game where your offense is held down, which tends to happen way more in the playoffs.

I don't think that will ever change tbh. On top of that refs tend to let 'em play in the playoffs too which hurts top passing offenses.

This year is wide open IMO. Lot of wildcard round teams who have good defenses and are capable of making a run. Top seeds know it too. This matchup for the Rams vs the whiners is a crucial game because of it.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Offense gets you tons of wins in the regular season, lot of bad teams you can hang points on.

Defense becomes more important in the playoffs. You gotta be able to get through a scrum type game where your offense is held down, which tends to happen way more in the playoffs.

I don't think that will ever change tbh. On top of that refs tend to let 'em play in the playoffs too which hurts top passing offenses.

This year is wide open IMO. Lot of wildcard round teams who have good defenses and are capable of making a run. Top seeds know it too. This matchup for the Rams vs the whiners is a crucial game because of it.
I was talking about the narrative...What your stating is orthodoxy since I've been alive.:sneaky:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I was fascinated about the narrative about the new NFL. 5000 passing yards would be standard, and 40 points games would be common, because the defenses have been neutered. The Rams, Chiefs, and to a lesser extent, the Saints were representative of this change.

I'm going to be curious to see how the PPG looks at the end of the year compared to other years.

I have a hunch it'll be a lot less than what people think, and far less than the narrative you mention. Which, like you feel, I felt was bullshit.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm going to be curious to see how the PPG looks at the end of the year compared to other years.

Yeah I do think the "typical" ppg you want to be at might slide a bit this year. Generally that is 19ppg, where you want to be below. Maybe this year's it's 20 or 21ish, idk.

Right now Chicago, Tennessee and Baltimore are sub 19. Dallas is just over that at 19.3. LAC, New Orleans, and New England are all sitting just over 21, all of whom have strong shots at Super Bowl appearances. Seattle too, although I don't think they have a strong Super Bowl chance.

Our Rams come in at 23.5, however I do think that number is inflated due to a combination of not having our CB1 for a big part of the season plus a tough schedule. They are probably moreso in that 21 group which just so happens to contain the teams with the best chance (or so it seems) to win it all.

All bets are off in this year's playoffs though, and I think for that reason it's going to be really fun to watch regardless of how it works out for us.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah I do think the "typical" ppg you want to be at might slide a bit this year. Generally that is 19ppg, where you want to be below. Maybe this year's it's 20 or 21ish, idk.

Right now Chicago, Tennessee and Baltimore are sub 19. Dallas is just over that at 19.3. LAC, New Orleans, and New England are all sitting just over 21, all of whom have strong shots at Super Bowl appearances. Seattle too, although I don't think they have a strong Super Bowl chance.

Our Rams come in at 23.5, however I do think that number is inflated due to a combination of not having our CB1 for a big part of the season plus a tough schedule. They are probably moreso in that 21 group which just so happens to contain the teams with the best chance (or so it seems) to win it all.

All bets are off in this year's playoffs though, and I think for that reason it's going to be really fun to watch regardless of how it works out for us.

I was looking at PPG for each game between the two teams for a season average earlier this year and the narrative did not stand up, it wasn't even really that close. And after the last few weeks I bet it's less than 2 PPG in total scoring.

Not exactly fireworks as I said a few weeks back LOL.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Right now Chicago, Tennessee and Baltimore are sub 19. Dallas is just over that at 19.3.

And to me, they’re the least likely to advance past the Divisional round. All because of their weak offenses.

I am hearing some Nagy for Coach of the Year, which is funny to me. They’re not winning with offense, Nagy’s background.

Message board predictions are a dime a dozen but I don’t believe the Rams are held to less than 24 points in the playoffs this year.

Teams will need to bring their offenses.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am hearing some Nagy for Coach of the Year, which is funny to me. They’re not winning with offense, Nagy’s background.

Yep Nagy will win it but I agree with you. That dude is no Sean McVay and time will demonstrate that.

Pete Carroll deserves the CoY award IMO, what he's done with that roster is downright fantastic. Pains me to say it, but I've been saying it since early this year and if anything it's more obvious now.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Let the pundits talk up the Aints, Bear Cubs, SeaChickens and Iggles. Rams will quietly go about their business and will answer the bell. With a win against SF, we most likely will be playing the Bear Cubs in LA. They will have to prepare for a two-headed running attack, and an offense much different than the game in Chicago. Anderson might be what the offense needed to bring a more balanced offense into the playoffs. Screw the media. The only opinion that matters is that of the coaches and players.

dang

Legend
So did McVay stumble into a run-first, 12 personnel attack in the AZ game or was this the plan to cover for the loss of Gurley/struggles of Goff. The 49ers game will give everyone a better idea which it was as I expect the 49ers to come hard at the Rams. The media won't ignore the results either way.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So did McVay stumble into a run-first, 12 personnel attack in the AZ game or was this the plan to cover for the loss of Gurley/struggles of Goff. The 49ers game will give everyone a better idea which it was as I expect the 49ers to come hard at the Rams. The media won't ignore the results either way.
Or could it be an innovative, reigning coach of the year, made an adjustment with 12 personnel? I prefer to think our coach isn't some dunderhead who got lucky in the desert...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

failure of reynolds, emergence of everett. the 12 personnel gets the best players on the field.

that's my view anyway.

fearsomefour

Legend
failure of reynolds, emergence of everett. the 12 personnel gets the best players on the field.

that's my view anyway.

I think more about match ups with opponents.
He can coach a running game and passing game obviously.
As we've seen all year he is going to attack where he sees opportunities versus a D.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Yep Nagy will win it but I agree with you. That dude is no Sean McVay and time will demonstrate that.

Pete Carroll deserves the CoY award IMO, what he's done with that roster is downright fantastic. Pains me to say it, but I've been saying it since early this year and if anything it's more obvious now.

Frank Reich is getting Coach of the Year, no doubt. Twice if the Colts make the playoffs, which is very much possible.

On topic of our Rams and the media, I love how everyone is picking the Whiners to upset us, yet those same people are picking the Bears to host a wildcard game as the three seed. I guess the Vikings are now also one of the best teams in the league. Jesus christ. SENSATIONALISM.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

that's my view anyway.

Reynolds is a second year WR and 3rd round pick
I don’t know of a 2nd year Ram WR in History who has done better with his opportunities than Reynolds. Dude stepped up for Kupp
What’s with this “failure” tag
Was it that TD pass he missed vs the iggles? That was a blatant PI
Not understanding it at all
Reynolds’ development is spectacular - he’s been playing better than Everett who is just now catching on

I like Reynolds a lot

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reynolds is a second year WR and 3rd round pick
I don’t know of a 2nd year Ram WR in History who has done better with his opportunities than Reynolds. Dude stepped up for Kupp
What’s with this “failure” tag
Was it that TD pass he missed vs the iggles? That was a blatant PI
Not understanding it at all
Reynolds’ development is spectacular - he’s been playing better than Everett who is just now catching on

I like Reynolds a lot
By and large, you had a confidence in Kupp to get first downs when we had to have them, and I have no such confidence in Reynolds. Kupp was a first down machine, and maybe its not fair to compare Reynolds with Kupp, but it is what it is.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
Sports Media and News Media follow the same path for informing us Civilians:

.......Tell a good story.......

It doesn't matter what reality is, just make it good if it is average and make it great if its good. If its bad, don't talk about it unless its really bad and then make it great!

"Never let facts get in the way of a great story!"

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
By and large, you had a confidence in Kupp to get first downs when we had to have them, and I have no such confidence in Reynolds. Kupp was a first down machine, and maybe its not fair to compare Reynolds with Kupp, but it is what it is.

Why not compare Reynolds with Bruce while you’re at it? Why not compare him to Brian Quick, Kenny Britt etc...?

It seems your confidence level and McVay’s confidence in Reynolds is on opposite ends of the spectrum
Reynolds is getting more plays called for him as games go on
He’s gonna be a big factor come the playoffs.
He has had some great catches this season.
Oh and I made a mistake by saying Josh Reynolds was a 3rd
He was a 4th round pick - the dude is playing EXCELLENT for a 2nd year WR

GO RAMS