Raiders hire Jack Del Rio as head coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/14/report-raiders-expected-to-hire-jack-del-rio-today/

Report: Raiders expected to hire Jack Del Rio today
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 14, 2015

delrio.jpg
Getty Images

Jack Del Rio is expected to become the next head coach of the Oakland Raiders.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that the Raiders are expected to finalize the deal as early as today.

Del Rio had a long second interview with the Raiders yesterday, meeting with owner Mark Davis, General Manager Reggie McKenzie and other members of the team’s brain trust, including Hall of Fame coach John Madden. That interview apparently went well enough that Del Rio wants the job and the Raiders want him.

The 51-year-old Del Rio was previously the head coach of the Jaguars from 2003 to 2011. He spent the last three seasons as defensive coordinator of the Broncos.

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't see this as a big upgrade over Sunglasses after he took over this year.
Should be a more disciplined team under Del Rio I guess.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Then again it may be weaken a division opponent while making yourself better.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Davis had Madden assist in the interview process. I don't know what to make of that really.

A55VA6

Legend
I think it's a good fit for them. He grew up a Raiders fan so that's cool. If they don't fire him after a year or 2, he may find success. Looks like he has a QB for the future.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I think it's a good fit for them. He grew up a Raiders fan so that's cool. If they don't fire him after a year or 2, he may find success. Looks like he has a QB for the future.
He can't be too bad of a coach he led the Jaguars to the playoffs twice.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's a recent photo of Mark Davis as he began the coaching search...
images

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Del Rio is a good coach, maybe not great but good. His struggles in Jacksonville were mainly due to the lack of franchise QB there. Carr is going to help him out because there is franchise potential in him.

Just keep him away from making decisions in the front office and the Raiders should be headed into the right direction

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've said this before. Del Rio is basically Jeff Fisher. Player's coach and a good team builder that is loved by his guys. Not really a brilliant Xs and Os guy but has shown the ability to put together a good staff in the past...but also can be too loyal. Former USC player(both of them are). His team plays up and down to competition. Will beat/compete with more talented teams and then inexplicably lose to the worst teams.

I used to joke with my brother(a Jaguars fan) that they might as well mark one game against Houston(back when they sucked) and any game against Buffalo(back when they sucked) as a loss. Because Del Rio's teams always seemed to lose to them.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
ANOTHER 4 year deal which means win in three or you are out

fancents86

Starter
del Rio did pretty well over here in jax for what he had. Actually made that team relevant.