Raiders Draft Room

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
TBH not that surprising. It was the previous regimes scouts and one is the brother of McKenzie. There have been lots of reports about leaks of info from them. I'd bet they're all let go right after the draft anyways and from reports they knew this was going to happen.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...iders-send-scouts-home-until-after-the-draft/

Report: Raiders send scouts home until after the draft

The hay may not be fully in the barn, but the barn has been emptied of any livestock.

The Raiders have sent their scouts home until after the draft, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Media. Per the report, coach Jon Gruden and G.M. Mike Mayock “don’t know who to trust.”

(Well, for starters, they can’t trust whoever leaked that tidbit to Rapoport.)

It’s a bizarre report, for a variety of reasons. First, it suggests an unprecedented level of paranoia. Second, it reveals that Gruden and Mayock have no functional plan for securing the most sensitive information regarding their final draft board or strategy, without demoralizing the entire scouting staff. Third, acting on the lack of trust creates the impression that the Raiders are more dysfunctional than other teams, even if other teams have the same concerns.

And they do. Coaches and General Managers routinely take steps to keep their plans secret within the building, given the possibility that someone may intentionally or accidentally blab. While clearing the building may create complete protection against espionage, there has to be a way to do it that doesn’t entail telling the world, “Hey, look at us! We don’t know what we’re doing!”

It also underscores the immense pressure that Gruden and Mayock (mainly Gruden) are currently feeling to turn a trio of first-round picks into players who will make fans and critics forget about Khalil Mackand Amari Cooper.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
It's their dog.

giphy (11).gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...raft-but-it-might-not-be-as-bad-as-it-sounds/

2019 NFL Draft: Raiders reportedly send scouts home until after draft, but it might not be as bad as it sounds
Turnover in Oakland's scouting department is also expected after the draft

With three first-round picks, coach Jon Gruden and general manager Mike Mayock of the Oakland Raiders have more control over the direction of the draft than anyone else in football. But six days before the draft, the amount of control Gruden and Mayock have over the scouts who have helped shape the Raiders' draft strategy has been called into question.

On Friday, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported that Gruden and Mayock sent their scouts home before the draft and they will not return at any point before the draft because Gruden and Mayock don't know who they can trust.

As Rapoport explained on NFL Network, sending scouts home before the draft isn't uncommon for teams in the NFL, but "what makes this uncommon is they are not expected back before the draft. The reason for this, it's because Mike Mayock does not know who he can trust with his draft secrets."

Rapoport added that "it is no surprise there is going to be some significant turnover in the scouting department for the Raiders after the draft."

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1119288025425510400?s=20

That initially sounds bad. It sounds like a team in disarray. It sounds like Gruden isn't running a very tight ship. But it might not be as bad as it sounds.

Former NFL scout and current analyst for NFL Network Daniel Jeremiah explained that most teams don't let all of their scouts see the draft board. It's only a select few, usually the team's top decision-makers, who have that privilege.

"This isn't that unusual," Jeremiah wrote on Twitter.

View: https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/1119279975645925376?s=20

NFL.com analyst Gil Brandt, who worked as the Cowboys' vice president of player personnel from 1960 to 1989, indicated that a team's top decision-makers having a general distrust toward scouts is also not uncommon. Although Brandt said he never "cleared the room" the way the Raiders reportedly are, it's worth remembering that Jeremiah already said that teams didn't start limiting access to the draft board until 2012.

The point Brandt seems to be making is that scouts will sometimes leak information to the media. So if the Raiders are concerned about a leak before the draft, they're not wrong to send their scouts home. And it's not like they're the only team that has talkative scouts.

View: https://twitter.com/Gil_Brandt/status/1119280855174668288?s=20

The other side of this says the Raiders don't have control over the scouting department. And it's worth remembering back in September, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported that Gruden's method of scouting had led to a divide within the Raiders' building. So, this isn't the first time that there's been a somewhat concerning report involving the Raiders and scouting.

Of course, it's also worth remembering that back then the general manager was Reggie McKenzie, who has since been replaced by Mayock. The Raiders also fired director of player personnel Joey Clinkscales in January. And when Mayock got hired, he basically confirmed what CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reported in December: changes could be coming to the front office. And those changes should come after the draft.

"I have 15 years worth of names," Mayock said in January, per 247 Sports. "I think anybody on the coaching side or the personnel side that ever wanted to be in this industry always has kind of a ready list. I have that. I have a lot of guys that I respect, but the most important thing is to respect the guys that are here first. We have four months to get after it with the guys that are in this building, and we're going to do it. At that point, we can evaluate."

In that sense, Rapoport reporting that there will be "some significant turnover" in the scouting department isn't exactly news. It makes sense that Mayock would want to bring in his scouts to replace the scouts that he inherited from his predecessor. It makes sense that in the midst of a rebuild and a relocation and in the beginning years of a new regime that there will be some form of upheaval. It makes sense that the Raiders don't trust their scouts to keep their secrets.

Think of it this way: If Gruden and Mayock want to part ways with their scouts after the draft and if they know the scouts know this, why would they trust the scouts to demonstrate loyalty in the weeks before they essentially get fired? Now that the scouting work is done, why would Gruden and Mayock let those scouts see their final board and/or draft plans? Why would those scouts remain loyal?

If the Raiders, for example, wanted to trade up to No. 1 to take Kyler Murray, they wouldn't want that information to leak, because if that information was leaked and the Raiders failed to complete the trade, they'd be stuck with a quarterback in Derek Carr who might not be at all happy that his coach and general manager tried to trade for his successor.

In the end, the Raiders won't be judged by reports and rumors before the draft. They'll be judged by the players they end up selecting with their plethora of picks and how those players adapt to the NFL. If the players don't end up becoming valuable contributors, some will point to the recent report as a sign that the Raiders experienced inner turmoil before the draft, which contributed to their poor draft. If the players end up succeeding, the reports will be forgotten.

As always, it's a results-oriented business. The results shape the way we view and talk about everything else. The Raiders know this, as indicated by their team slogan: Just win, baby.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
The raiders control the first round, this is gonna be alot of fun !

Ram65

Legend
Interesting and it makes sense. As long as they keep the boards updated they should be fine. The TV guys with three first round picks in a loaded draft have to make a big splash. Trade possibilities will be very interesting. I would like to see Mayock do well. This is another great side interest to the NFL draft.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Thank God they signed Jon for 10 years!

Looks like everything is coming together perfectly.

This is more fun to watch than I could have even imagined... and I imagined complete dysfunction.

I can't wait for more pirate faces from Jon... so epic!!!

…..

Legend
I think the evidence clearly suggests you don’t need scouts on draft day. You don’t need scouts on draft week. They have 355 other days to do thier jobs.

You crazy if you don’t think these teams haven’t broken down the top 300 and ranked them. Even have groups of players slotted for different areas of draft within the individual later rounds.

If you need to get a scout recommendation in the 3rd round, something is terribly wrong you should should seek other gainful employment.

This is a non story to me.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Just interested in how Mike Maylock does in the draft. Maylock has been the Mock Guru over the last 10 years !! Now that it’s down to the last week , it’s time for him to change his big board.

Gruden was always an analyst for espn as well when he was doing Monday night football.
They both have all the information they need. There won’t be any distractions. I’m sure they will have others in the draft room as well.Can’t see it just being the 2 of them. At list a position coach ??
Will be fun. With The Rams Kevin Demoff is right there watching every move.

bluecoconuts

Legend
There was a presser a little while back where a beat reporter asked Mayock about a few different players they had come in for a pre-draft workout.

Mayock was trying to hold it together and joke around, and but you can tell he was real pissed that information went out. He asked where he heard it because it was supposed to be private and the beat reporter just said he had his sources.

Well, not anymore. I don't blame him, gotta trust your men. There's things you can leak and things you shouldn't, and this was obviously one they felt shouldn't.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Just interested in how Mike Maylock does in the draft. Maylock has been the Mock Guru over the last 10 years !! Now that it’s down to the last week , it’s time for him to change his big board.

Gruden was always an analyst for espn as well when he was doing Monday night football.
They both have all the information they need. There won’t be any distractions. I’m sure they will have others in the draft room as well.Can’t see it just being the 2 of them. At list a position coach ??
Will be fun. With The Rams Kevin Demoff is right there watching every move.

In the news business a lot of these mockers and draft prospect pros use many sources around the league, like scouts to corroborate with about players. I think it was last year that Mayock decided to hit the road more and do more analysis in person. I wonder if he had a dip in his success rate for predicting who would or wouldn't be good NFL players, due to taking his sources word for it, or if he didn't like spending every day at NFL Network HQ. Maybe he was sick of the whole thing and was campaigning for a job.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
In the news business a lot of these mockers and draft prospect pros use many sources around the league, like scouts to corroborate with about players. I think it was last year that Mayock decided to hit the road more and do more analysis in person. I wonder if he had a dip in his success rate for predicting who would or wouldn't be good NFL players, due to taking his sources word for it, or if he didn't like spending every day at NFL Network HQ. Maybe he was sick of the whole thing and was campaigning for a job.

In my eyes, it would be hard to turn down a GM job.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Definite non-story. Bashing on the Raiders is an easy mode for the media right now. But I suspect that's gonna change at some point under Gruden, probably sooner than later.

Raiders had an old, vet roster full of dudes that couldn't or wouldn't do the work. It was destined to be a rebuild. This draft should position them to have a really nice defensive jump if nothing else.