Raiders, Bills could be eyeing LA market/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Raiders, Bills could be eyeing LA market
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_1970f117-7278-55a3-ad1d-180901b14076.html

In terms of Los Angeles, and the prospect of a team moving there in the near future, all was quiet at the NFL owners meetings this past week in Orlando, Fla. At least from the league’s standpoint.

“We’ve been very open that if we had the right opportunity to be back in Los Angeles with the right formula — meaning a stadium — most importantly,” NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said. “We know there are millions of fans who want a team there. We would love to do that, but it has to be successful.

“We are going to do it right if we are going to do it. There are different proposals out there and different opportunities, but not one that we are focused on and can say that we have the right solution yet. We’re not there.”

In other words, it’s basically the same message from Goodell on Los Angeles since he became league commissioner eight years ago. The theory of a team is nice; but without a viable stadium plan it remains a non-starter as has been the case for nearly two decades.

This September marks the 20th season without an NFL team in the nation’s second-largest market. The closest LA has come to a team came in the late ‘90s when the city was conditionally awarded a team but could not close the deal. As a result, that franchise became the Houston Texans. Thus, Goodell’s continued insistence that Los Angeles must “do it right” in order to get a team.

While there was very little talk about Los Angeles in the meeting rooms in Orlando, the hallways of the Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes — site of the meetings — were a different matter.

Frustrated over the lack of progress in a new stadium proposal in Oakland, Raiders owner Mark Davis talked openly about Los Angeles as a possible future home. (The Raiders left LA in 1995, just a few months after the Rams gained league approval to move to St. Louis in April of that year.)

When asked if Oakland fans had anything to worry about, Davis replied:

“I don’t know how to answer that,” Davis said. “ ‘Worry about’ what?”

Worry about the team moving to Los Angeles was the follow-up question.

“No, not at this time,” Davis said. “We’re trying to get something done in Oakland. We’ll see what happens there. And then the next step will be, if Oakland doesn’t happen, then we’ll see what’s after that.”

Earlier, he told reporters in Orlando, “Los Angeles is something that I’ve definitely thought about, and haven’t pursued.”

Since the Rams and Raiders moved, LA has proven to be a valuable leverage tool for the NFL. New stadiums have been built in city after city throughout the league, with the threat looming of their team moving to Los Angeles.

NFL owners voted Monday to approve a one-year extension of the Raiders’ lease at Oakland Coliseum. But next year could be a different matter. Further south in San Diego, the Chargers also are operating on a year-to-year lease.

The Rams will be in the same situation next year at this time if the team and St. Louis fail to reach an agreement on fulfilling “first-tier” stadium lease provisions. Fourteen months ago, arbitrators ruled in favor of a Rams’ proposal calling for an estimated $700 million in stadium improvements at the Edward Jones Dome — not much less than a new stadium would cost.

On Tuesday, the death of longtime Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson could put the Bills in play as an LA possibility. The team is expected to be put up for sale at some point in the near future. The Bills have a stadium lease that runs through 2022, and for the next six years it will cost $400 million to break that lease.

But in 2020, it costs only $28 million to break the lease, giving any new owner a one-year window to move the team for a relatively inexpensive price before 2022.

Six years may seem like a long time to get things settled in western New York. Then again, 19 seasons have gone by pretty quickly in St. Louis.

“I haven’t focused on that,” Goodell said, when asked about the future of the Bills in Buffalo. “That’s not something I’ve spent any time on in recent days. My thoughts and my heart are with the Wilson family. We all know they have a lease. We know the terms of that lease and we also know we have to find a long-term solution to keep the Bills there, and that’s what we will work to do. But that’s not the priority right now. ...’’

Goodell is from Jamestown, N.Y., about 70 miles south of Buffalo, so it’s safe to assume he will do everything possible to keep the Wilson legacy going by keeping the team there.

“Coming from western New York, I know how much he did for the western New York region, and I also know what he’s done for the NFL, having seen it first-hand,” Goodell said. “As a commissioner, I saw that he’s a great owner.”

As for the Rams and owner Stan Kroenke, all is quiet, as usual. The Rams turned down an interview request by the Post-Dispatch at the owners meetings. And all signs point to the team being a franchise free agent by this time next year.

RamsFan14

Starter
Idk if this logic fits (yea probs doesn't), but why not the Raiders go to LA?! What are they doing, just moving a block or two compared to STL and Buff? Oakland isn't far away from LA, so Oak fans can go see them still! Less broken hearts if they moved compared to STL and Buffalo kinda...? (If life worked that way... :cool:)

SierraRam

Recreational User
The Davis family is using LA to do their anual "leverage a new stadium deal" song and dance. Who cares! If they do go south, they have to change their name:

SoCal: Home of your LA Riots

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Im not even worried about the Rams moving moving. With the stadium crowds growing with more success on the field, no way they move.

That headline is why I'm confident the Rams won't move, LA is such a great bargaining chip that it's far too valuable to give up, it would take a city truly calling an owner's bluff and saying we'll give you $0 for a team to move there.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know gang, another reason a move for the Rams makes sense is the NFC WEST alignment for all teams being actually located on the west coast. Could that be a factor in the grand scheme of things? It was weird for us fans here in the L.A. area when the Rams moved to St. Louis as until it actually happened, I think 95% of us were in complete denial and thought there was no way in hell it could happen. Impossible, no way. This entire scenario is different, but similar in the "where's there's smoke there's fire" tabloid stories. We had an owner that was facing near bankruptcy with the Rams and had no money and had to move the team to keep the money boat floating. Now we have an owner with an ocean of money and can move the boat anywhere or keep it right where it is. It's Stan's call and who knows what he is thinking. I don't care where they are and hope they keep right where they are for the sake of the St. Louis fan base as it is no fun to lose a team due to money issues/stadium issues.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Idk if this logic fits (yea probs doesn't), but why not the Raiders go to LA?! What are they doing, just moving a block or two compared to STL and Buff? Oakland isn't far away from LA, so Oak fans can go see them still! Less broken hearts if they moved compared to STL and Buffalo kinda...? (If life worked that way... :cool:)

It's nearly 400 miles, that's not a day trip, so if it was a little closer I'd agree with you but at that distance it's prohibitive.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
FWIW if in fact two teams share a stadium in Los Angeles they will not be in the same conference. It will be like the Jets & Giants so IMO if indeed two teams move to the City of Angels, one team will be from the NFC and the other from the AFC, it's that simple.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
From zero to two teams? o_O

I'm thinking the NFL could still leverage new stadiums so long as they had a threat (the threat of a 2nd LA team). So, even with a stadium you think they'd do two teams?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I don't know gang, another reason a move for the Rams makes sense is the NFC WEST alignment for all teams being actually located on the west coast. Could that be a factor in the grand scheme of things? It was weird for us fans here in the L.A. area when the Rams moved to St. Louis as until it actually happened, I think 95% of us were in complete denial and thought there was no way in hell it could happen. Impossible, no way. This entire scenario is different, but similar in the "where's there's smoke there's fire" tabloid stories. We had an owner that was facing near bankruptcy with the Rams and had no money and had to move the team to keep the money boat floating. Now we have an owner with an ocean of money and can move the boat anywhere or keep it right where it is. It's Stan's call and who knows what he is thinking. I don't care where they are and hope they keep right where they are for the sake of the St. Louis fan base as it is no fun to lose a team due to money issues/stadium issues.

Umm, the Cowboys in the NFC East, are in the deep south central part of the country, and actually slightly more west now since there move to Arlington.

KC is not on the west coast, so should they move there?

St. Louis is the gateway to the...WEST. Someone has to be first, might as well be the Rams!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Umm, the Cowboys in the NFC East, are in the deep south central part of the country, and actually slightly more west now since there move to Arlington.

KC is not on the west coast, so should they move there?

St. Louis is the gateway to the...WEST. Someone has to be first, might as well be the Rams!

Dallas will never move out of the NFC East nor the Chiefs based on rivarly and history. Face it the NFL will not allow two AFC teams to move unless they switch conference which could happen. One of the caveats the Rams agreed to when they moved to St. Louis is that the NFL could move them to a different division and conference.

So if the Bills moved to L.A. I could see them being part of the NFC West with the Rams going to the AFC South and the Jags then moving to the AFC East. Georgraphically that would work as well, but I would not be happy about being in the AFC just becaue I'm a tradionalist, but we're getting way ahead of ourselves.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Dallas will never move out of the NFC East nor the Chiefs based on rivarly and history. Face it the NFL will not allow two AFC teams to move unless they switch conference which could happen. One of the caveats the Rams agreed to when they moved to St. Louis is that the NFL could move them to a different division and conference.

So if the Bills moved to L.A. I could see them being part of the NFC West with the Rams going to the AFC South and the Jags then moving to the AFC East. Georgraphically that would work as well, but I would not be happy about being in the AFC just becaue I'm a tradionalist, but we're getting way ahead of ourselves.
I'd like the Rams to be considered by the league the same way the Cowboys are. I'd like it to be unthinkable to tinker with the Rams. Right now, they're just another team like the Jaguars. Move 'em, relocate 'em, do whatever you want. Who cares?

Unfortunately, they're already vagabonds. Even the GSOT and winning it all hasn't really changed the overall perception.

But I do agree that after a team is in L.A., if it isn't the Rams they need to be in a different division.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I was born in LA .....It just hard for me to think that California can tolerate another NFL team would my city of birth today has the time or the desire to support an NFL pro team anymore.... I could just hear it now in the new Los Angeles press ......."Football encourages bullying and erratic behavior in young men" ...."such an inherently violent type game".....

Maybe the NFL could change the name from the Bills to the Los Angeles .....Greenataians that might work!

Renamed Raiders switch division with Rams and share stadium with Chargers in LA after Stan gets his new stadium. Makes to much sense. Rams new cross state rival the Chiefs. That's IF any teams at all end up there.

Last edited: