Raheem Morris

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Enjoyed the interview and please, for the love of God, don't change the whole damn scheme.

Don't fix what isn't broke.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think he'll keep the base structure, but he's gonna focus more on disguises.

Thankfully, we have the smart defenders who can handle complexity...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There was an article I saw, maybe on Ramswire that said they will be keeping Staley's defense and Mortis will add a few wrinkles

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
There was an article I saw, maybe on Ramswire that said they will be keeping Staley's defense and Mortis will add a few wrinkles

That’s what it feels it needs. Just tweaks... the question is in what way? General question, not directed specifically at you.

TexasRam

Legend
That’s what it feels it needs. Just tweaks... the question is in what way? General question, not directed specifically at you.

I think the defense needs some pressure wrinkles and an unpredictability element. Staley did a nice job but some defenses are better than the sum of their parts because they blitz and make the QB unsure of what is coming.

Maybe Raheem can bring in a few dudes that excel in blitz the way Jamal Adams or a Joey Porter did.

Roll the dice a little. Make the OC stay up late. Get in the QB head. Get the ball out to change momentum.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the defense needs some pressure wrinkles and an unpredictability element. Staley did a nice job but some defenses are better than the sum of their parts because they blitz and make the QB unsure of what is coming.

Maybe Raheem can bring in a few dudes that excel in blitz the way Jamal Adams or a Joey Porter did.

Roll the dice a little. Make the OC stay up late. Get in the QB head. Get the ball out to change momentum.
I do think Staley's scheme elevated our talent. He did a great job creatively masking weaknesses.

I expect Morris is a bit more straight-up in his approach. Just from that background he's got in Tampa 2. I am sure he'll understand what Staley was doing but I also expect we see a dip from Staley to Morris.

The key for Morris is having a good plan for his personnel going into this offseason. When Staley came in he had them go get a couple key pieces he knew he needed and everything fell in place. Morris needs to kill it there as well. And if Morris is entertaining more Tampa 2 being mixed in we might need some fresh blood on the DL.

MachS

Hall of Fame
When Staley left I expected a drop off next year definitively. But the Morris signing was big and while its natural for us to regress a little, I can still see us finishing around top 5.

Lets not forget the offense didn't help out the defense that much last year. More points scored means teams playing catch up and needing to pass more..which plays into our hands. Looking forward to AD getting his 4th DPOY.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
He did say it's going to look like a Base 3-4. I liked hearing that.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
He did say it's going to look like a Base 3-4. I liked hearing that.
Crucial info right there. going back to a 4-3 base would be a disaster.
Great to hear Morris is going to keep most of Staley's scheme as well.
And ya, if the O can make improvements, the D will be able to pin its ears back a little more.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lets not forget the offense didn't help out the defense that much last year. More points scored means teams playing catch up and needing to pass more..which plays into our hands. Looking forward to AD getting his 4th DPOY.
Fair point. Assuming we keep Williams I have to think passing against our defense is going to continue to be painful for opponents. That's Morris' strength too, that secondary, so yeah there's a lot of room to be excited I'm just gonna wait until I see the final roster.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Imagine adding this guy to our defense at ILB...

View: https://youtu.be/kKpEkAHuMVM

6'2, 232.... I dunno. But I did see him bull rush a pretty big OG for a sack. Looks like a pretty stout kid, like a LB version of AD.
Is he good in coverage? can he cover a TE? That's a pretty big deal here in the NFL iirc.
And, if he is, with as good as he was in the SEC, not sure he'll be around for us in the 3rd (gotta go LT w/ our 2nd).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
6'2, 232.... I dunno. But I did see him bull rush a pretty big OG for a sack. Looks like a pretty stout kid, like a LB version of AD.
Is he good in coverage? can he cover a TE? That's a pretty big deal here in the NFL iirc.
And, if he is, with as good as he was in the SEC, not sure he'll be around for us in the 3rd (gotta go LT w/ our 2nd).
He's listed as 6'0" in some places, didn't look up his height but he's a canon ball looking MFer. So yeah the measurables will hurt him IMO.

I wouldn't want him running with TEs and RBs. But in our defense he'd be fine dropping and reacting from zone.

He's the kind of backer we've needed forever. Guy who can thump and stack linemen to stop a ground push. Guy who knocks anyone he hits backwards. Good range. Nasty temperament. Would be a massive upgrade I just doubt he gets to us but the concerns you allude to are what would make that possible if he does slide.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I wasn't excited about this hire. But after this interview, I'm impressed and excited. I like this guy. GO RAMS!