R.I.P Kenny Stabler

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/07/13/ken-stabler-hall-of-fame-nfl-peter-king/

By Peter King

The Snake, analyzed

Ken Stabler, the Oakland/Houston/New Orleans quarterback who is doubtless one of the most colorful characters in NFL history (just read this 1977 Sports Illustrated story if you’ve got any questions), died last week of colon cancer. He was 69. Most of his football friends had no idea he was that ill.

In the wake of his death, a fervent debate has been re-ignited: Should Stabler be elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame? It’s a difficult question to answer and, as a Hall of Fame voter, I’ll say Stabler’s case has come up a few times over the years and I could never get very worked up about it. Stabler, to me, is a borderline candidate from a very difficult time to judge the worthiness of quarterbacks because QB stats from 40 years ago can be so misleading. I’ll give you some of the arguments I’ve heard over the years and in recent days, and then give you my thoughts.

Argument: Stabler’s on the 1970s all-decade team, so that should merit inclusion on its own. The Team of the 1970s as voted by the Pro Football Hall of Fame voters at the end of the decade, actually had Roger Staubach as the number one quarterback, with 13 votes. Terry Bradshaw and Stabler were next, with three votes apiece. Right or wrong, nine players from the first and second teams of that group are not in Canton. I’ve never thought that because you were voted to an all-decade team, it should be an automatic ticket to the Hall. What happens if, in some decade, the third and fourth guards, or the third and fourth outside linebackers, were very close in votes and ability to the fourth or fifth players at their positions?

Argument: Nobody personified the Raiders more than the wild Stabler, and he led a great franchise to some of its greatest moments. No question about it. He led the Raiders to the Super Bowl win in the 1976 season and had some great games when the stakes were highest. So shouldn’t the rollicking quarterback of this rebel football team be in the Hall? From 1973, when he took over the starting job, Stabler quarterbacked the Raiders to a 50-11-1 regular-season record over five years. That five-year stretch is easily his biggest argument for enshrinement, and if he ever gets in, I’d point to that and say, “You’ve got to be pretty good to win 50 out of 62.”

Argument: If Joe Namath is in, Stabler should be in. Here’s where stats get screwy and, to me, unimportant. Namath was a more prolific passer (197.6 passing yards per game, to Stabler’s 151.8) but not the winner Stabler was. (Namath: 62-63-4; Stabler: 96-49-1.) Each won one Super Bowl. But I’ve always thought Namath should be in because of his importance in football history. He was the first glamorous football player.

He made the American Football League matter, with his huge contract and his Broadway Joe fame. And he had perhaps the most significant pro football victory ever, the shocking upset of the Colts in Super Bowl III that catapulted the AFL to near-equality with the NFL. The leagues soon merged. So I’ve always felt Namath belonged because of his historic importance.

I think he occupies a unique space in football history. (I was not a voter in 1985, when he was elected.) Now, as voters, we’re supposed to consider what a player does on the field, not anything else. But Namath was so good so early in his career, with the charisma of a leader that was so valuable on the field, that New York and a competing league got smitten with him, and that style and competitiveness and ability all contributed to his greatness.

Among recent quarterbacks under Hall consideration, Kurt Warner had the strangest career—he came from stocking shelves to the NFL and had two bookend great runs surrounding a five-year donut hole mid-career. But Stabler’s career was exceedingly odd. It’s almost a career in quartiles:

• 1968 to 1972: The JV Years. On the bench behind Daryle Lamonica and George Blanda, mostly. Just two starts in five years.
  • 1973 to 1977: The Golden Years. Leads the Raiders to the playoffs for five straight years, demolishes the Vikings to win a world title in January 1977, and twice leads the league in touchdown passes and passing accuracy.
  • 1978 to 1980: The Divorce. After going 9-7 in both ’78 and ’79 and throwing 52 interceptions over those years, Al Davis trades him to Houston for Dan Pastorini. Stabler never wins another playoff game.
  • 1981 to 1984: The End. Doesn’t have a winning season, and the interceptions keep coming. Considering how hard Stabler lived off the field, it’s amazing he started 14 games at age 38 for the Saints in 1983.
So that’s five great seasons. Five. Look at his next three. It’s true you can’t overrate numbers and compare the players of the ’70s to the players of today by stats. But in the three seasons after those five sublime ones, Stabler threw 80 interceptions. That’s got to count for something.

I believe the Hall of Fame, in the vast majority of cases, has to be about sustained greatness. Stabler was great for five seasons. Some people would say that’s enough, along with the Super Bowl victory and being the greatest quarterback the Raiders have had. And I think it’s a good argument. For me, it’s just not a winning one.

• stabler-bear1.jpg

Stabler played his college ball at Alabama, under legendary coach Bear Bryant. (Bettmann/Corbis)

• stabler-madden1.jpg

Stabler, with Raiders coach John Madden. (Heinz Kluetmeier/Sports Illustrated)

• stabler-action1.jpg

On the field, Stabler led the Raiders to Super Bowl XI and later played for the Oilers and Saints. (Peter Read Miller/Sports Illustrated)

• stabler-boat1.jpg

(James Drake/Sports Illustrated)

• stabler-pool1.jpg
“It was Veterans Day, and I’m a veteran, so I took the day off.”

—Then-Houston quarterback Ken Stabler, in 1980, to rookie beat man John McClain of the Houston Chronicle. Seems that Stabler skipped practice one November day, and the Oilers didn’t know where he was, and he came in the next day as usual. McClain found him at his locker after practice, smoking a cigarette.

“Snake made Johnny Manziel look like a Buddhist monk.”

—Retired former Raiders beat man Bob Padecky, who wrote a stunning story in the wake of Ken Stabler about the time he went to Alabama to try to interview Stabler … and found himself arrested and charged with cocaine possession. These are the kinds of stories that just don’t happen anymore.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/07/13/ken-stabler-hall-of-fame-nfl-peter-king/4/

I think of all the stories about Stabler I read over the weekend, this tale by John McClain about Stabler’s 1980 season in Houston was most stunning:

“In November, the Oilers went to New York to play the Jets at Shea Stadium. Stabler partied into the wee hours, blowing curfew and infuriating his coaches. Early Sunday morning, Stabler’s teammates saw him struggling to get out of a cab about the time they were preparing for the pregame meal. Hung over from his night on the town, Stabler was awful in the first half, throwing four interceptions—one returned for a touchdown—and the Oilers trailed 21-0 at halftime.

“In the dressing room at halftime, coach Bum Phillips was addressing his players, and some could hear Stabler throwing up in a bathroom area. Finally, Stabler emerged, sobered up and wiping his face with a towel. He told his teammates he was ready to go. Stabler threw four touchdown passes in the fourth quarter, including one to Richard Caster to make it 28-28. The Oilers lost 31-28 in overtime, but there was another story for the Stabler legend. I once asked Stabler why it took so long for him to play after being drafted in the second round in 1968. He told me he’d been on the taxi squad, played in the Continental League, and lived in a hippie commune for his first two years.”

I’d love to know how an event like that would be covered today—and what a 2015 NFL head coach would do if his starting quarterback did something like that the night before a game. It’s virtually unimaginable.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/03/brain-of-ken-stabler-found-to-have-cte/

Brain of Ken Stabler found to have CTE
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 3, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptq1mzyznge3ztuxnzlknzuwngy4otqyotfkmzu1ymqw.jpeg
AP

Researchers have found that the brain of the late Raiders quarterback Ken Stabler had the brain disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE.

Dr. Ann McKee, chief of neuropathology at the V.A. Boston Healthcare System, told the New York Times that Stabler had high Stage 3 CTE, which is consistent with a player who spent many years playing football and then lived for decades after retiring. Stabler died of colon cancer at age 69.

“The very severity of the disease, at least that we’re seeing in American football players, seems to correlate with the duration of play,” McKee said. “The longer they play, the more severe we see it. But it’s also the years since retirement, to the age of death — not only the longer you play, but the longer you live after you stop playing.”

Stabler long joked about how hard he was on his own body, both in the way he played the game — unafraid to take big hits — and in his hard-drinking, hard-living off the field style. Those jokes may come to seem less funny as we learn more about the way Stabler’s physical and mental health deteriorated in is final years.

A finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Stabler’s enshrinement will be voted upon on Saturday.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Brain of Ken Stabler found to have CTE
Wonder what the effects of head trauma, alcohol, and other substances contribute to this disease? We need to start looking at a wide range of deceased brains...just to compare....I mean, he's a QB....How many hits did he take? The game was different then, but still, if the snake suffered, what's going on in Hacksaw's, Earl Campbell, and other players heads? My boy Jack Youngblood still sounds good.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The game was different then, but still, if the snake suffered, what's going on in Hacksaw's, Earl Campbell, and other players heads?

Don't know if Earl Campbell sustained brain trauma over his career but the rest of his body sure suffered.
https://footballhealth.wordpress.com/2013/02/15/earl-campbell-a-cautionary-tale/

Earl Campbell: A Cautionary Tale

Over the past few weeks we have been looking at how football affects the brains of athletes. We have looked at how Junior Seau, Rodney Harrison, and Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy have impacted the NFL in recent years. Head injuries are clearly the most prevalent issue in football, but bodily injuries are also a concern.

Take a football player’s brain out of the equation and there are still a slew of health concerns that come about. We will take the focus off head injuries and focus on how football affects a player’s body. This week will be a discussion of Earl Campbell and how his life was affected by a career in the NFL.

Earl Campbell was one of the most punishing running backs in the history of the NFL. He was drafted number one overall by the Houston Oilers. He enjoyed an 8-year career in the NFL that ended with his bust in the Hall of Fame. Campbell was known for being one of the most punishing runners that football has ever seen. Defenders were truly scared to tackle him because they knew a vicious blow to the head was coming.

Campbell did not care about his body because it was how he made his living. He became one of the best running backs of all time by inflicting pain on his opponents. People glorified Campbell because he played hard and with a chip on his shoulder. They loved seeing this warrior every Sunday afternoon wreaking havoc on the football field. It is a stark contrast to see what Campbell looks like at age 57.

Yesterday was Valentine’s Day and it is a day full of love and commitment. Couples love to go out and have dinner and exchange Valentine’s gifts. Earl Campbell’s wife cannot enjoy these Valentine’s traditions because her husband is strapped to a wheel chair. Campbell can barely walk and cannot drive without being in severe pain. Looking at him is an example of how football has ravaged the body of a past NFL great.

Campbell has severe arthritis in both his knees and a debilitating back problem. Only after a drug addiction and months of physical and mental rehab has Campbell been able to use a walker. Before that he was confined to a wheel chair and still has to use it occasionally. This is what his wife and children have to deal with every single day.

Earl Campbell is exactly why every professional football player should be worried. He is a living example of what happens after a short 8 years in the NFL. After researching information about Campbell, I would love to ask him one question: Was it worth it? 8 years in a lifetime is an extremely miniscule amount of time.

But the 8 years that Campbell played in the NFL has changed his life forever. He had 8 years of glory, honor, passion, dedication and victory. Now he has had 30 years of anger, depression, addictions, walkers and wheelchairs. This is a large price to pay for less than a decade.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXT2rxSaqog

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Don't know if Earl Campbell sustained brain trauma over his career but the rest of his body sure suffered.
Exactly...almost three years to the date of this article, what must the Tyler Rose feel like? In the head. There has never been a more violent runner, save Adrian Peterson....Wonder what AP has to look forward to???????

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Always have a soft spot for those old lefties. He was fun to watch. RIP Snake.:giggle:
Ken Stabler is the latin words for "winner". the Raiders ALWAYS had a chance when he was playing.