R.I.P. Dwight Clark

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ndary-receiver-who-made-the-catch-dies-at-61/

Dwight Clark, legendary receiver who made “The Catch,” dies at 61
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 4, 2018

gettyimages-76115066-e1528152928690.jpg

Getty Images

Dwight Clark, the 49ers star wide receiver who will live in NFL history for making “The Catch,” has died after a battle with ALS. He was 61.

Clark’s wife Kelly wrote on his Twitter account that he died today.

“I’m heartbroken to tell you that today I lost my best friend and husband,” Kelly Clark wrote. “He passed peacefully surrounded by many of the people he loved most. I am thankful for all of Dwight’s friends, teammates and 49ers fans who have sent their love during his battle with ALS.”

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7wgXAOMXSk

Although he wasn’t a star in college at Clemson, 49ers coach Bill Walsh saw something in Clark and selected him in the 10th round of the 1979 NFL draft. After playing sparingly as a rookie, Clark burst onto the scene in 1980, finishing third in the NFL with 82 catches.

And then in the 1981 season, Clark was even better, culminating in the NFC Championship Game, when, with the 49ers trailing the Cowboys 27-21 in the final minute, Joe Montana lobbed a high pass into the back of the end zone, where Clark leapt into the air and caught it for the touchdown that would send the 49ers to the Super Bowl. That play has been dubbed “The Catch,” and remains among the great plays in NFL history.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XKv7Yec-Ls

Clark retired after the 1987 season, and worked in football operations, both with the 49ers and with the Browns. He announced last year that he was battling ALS, and today the disease took his life. But Clark’s legacy, and his great Catch, will live on.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rest in Peace. Hated division rival but do not wish this on anybody.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Bummer. Whiner shit aside, I feel for his wife and family. RIP Dwight.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My Prayers go out to Dwight and his family as he was one heck of a football player....Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis just a terrible disease may God bless his family and provide them strength through this difficult journey.
nolan-cromwell-of-the-los-angeles-rams-tackles-dwight-clark-of-the-picture-id476521915

Psycho_X

Legend
Don't wish a disease like ALS on anyone including players from my most hated team. The guy is an NFL legend.

RIP

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Sad. This disease is no respecter of persons. Prayers to his family and friends.

His catch was one of the most exciting plays in NFL history. Niner hatred aside, he will always be young and full of hope through that play.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Way too young. ALS is beyond rough. Very sad

My dad had ALS & Pancreatic cancer ...
Watching it was tough , but what a tough man!! He sort of gave up , so I don’t know which one would have killed him first ?
— Can’t believe ALS got him that soon ?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
My dad had ALS & Pancreatic cancer ...
Watching it was tough , but what a tough man!! He sort of gave up , so I don’t know which one would have killed him first ?
— Can’t believe ALS got him that soon ?
Wow. You can't escape either of those. Pancreatic cancer took my Mom as well.

Clark must have had it more than a year. I was surprised how quick it took him as well.

JackKirbyFan

Rookie
Of course, RIP to a division rival. I'm sure he was a good man. I never understood what was so great about "The Catch". Remember when Ricky Proehl made that great catch against the Bucs in the NFC Title game back in 1994. That catch was much tougher to bring in and hold onto than Clark's catch. I have seen much better catches in the NFL before and after than Clark's catch. Even Bruce's catch in the Super Bowl was much tougher and a far greater catch than Clark's catch. Clark was an overrated player for a bunch of whiners. I don't wish ALS on anyone; I read Eig's bio of Lou Gehrig "Luckiest Man" that goes into great detail about this horrible disease. I'm sure the Good Lord has his/her reasons for taking him at a such a young age.

SR

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Rest in peace, Dwight Clark. ALS is an awful disease that I hope we find the cure to soon.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wow. You can't escape either of those. Pancreatic cancer took my Mom as well.

Clark must have had it more than a year. I was surprised how quick it took him as well.

Morphine the drug of choice

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Ok. Last entry here for me. I’m starting to feel dirty. :unsure:

My childhood buddy married the Niners team doctors daughter back in the early ‘90s. I was waiting in the line to get into the reception, when I turned around and there was Dwight Clark and George Siefert behind me.

Being the smart azz I am I turned to Siefert (then current Whiner coach) and asked, “they let Ram fans in here, right?” Ol’ George had a pretty good sense of humor, though. He responded, “awe, they let anybody in.” We got a good laugh. (n) Although we didn’t talk the rest of the night.

Anyway my whiner-lover brother just made this on Photoshop:

FD7B0E33-D353-4D9E-9A69-1CC1AA813C3D.jpeg