Quotes & Notes 7/24: Quarterbacks, rookies check in for 2019 training camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.therams.com/news/quotes-notes-7-24-quarterbacks-rookies-check-in-for-2019-training-camp

Quotes & Notes 7/24: Quarterbacks, rookies check in for 2019 training camp

After each media session, Quotes and Notes will bring you what was said, who said it, and what it means for your Los Angeles Rams.

“Excited to get back with a similar group of guys and get back to work.”
— QB Jared Goff
  • QB Jared Goff checked into training camp for the fourth time on Wednesday, and during his media session he mentioned that the players on the Rams’ offense are similar to last year.
  • Of Los Angeles’ 11 offensive starters, nine are expected to be the same as they were for Week 1 in 2018.
  • That’s particularly significant for Goff, because each skill player is the same. So there isn’t a real need to start building chemistry with the running backs, tight ends, and wide receivers — it’s already established.
  • Goff called that continuity “huge.”

“To me, [Cooper Kupp] looks really, really good. Throwing with him a few times over the last month, he looks strong, looks fast, looks physical.”
— QB Jared Goff
  • NFL Network’s Steve Wyche reported on Tuesday evening that wide receiver Cooper Kupp will not be placed on the physically unable to perform list to start training camp.
  • Asked about the third-year wide receiver, Goff deferred to head coach Sean McVay for a more medical diagnosis. But the QB did say that Kupp looks good on the field.
  • Goff said he got together with Kupp and the rest of Los Angeles’ receivers to throw during the summer break, and that’s where his perception of the situation comes from.

“Time will take care of it. Just go out and play.”
— QB Jared Goff
  • At this point, it’s fair to figure that a contract extension is coming for Goff. It’s more a matter of when than if.
  • But as of now, there apparently hasn’t been much movement on that front.
  • Nevertheless, Goff said he isn’t worried and is simply focused on going out and playing well.

“Just being a better corner from the neck up and just recognizing things and tendencies — those guys are really smart football players.”

— CB David Long Jr.
  • Cornerback David Long Jr. hasn’t necessarily been with the Rams for a lengthy period of time, but he said on Wednesday that he has learned plenty from veteran corners Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib.
  • As Long put it, both Talib and Peters have considerable physical skills. But it’s the way they process the mental aspects of the game that puts both of them over the top.
  • Long essentially said that as he tries to earn his spot on the roster and his place in the league, his above-the-neck approach is one of the most critical aspects he has to master.

“I feel like I definitely need to show up on special teams this training camp. I also feel like I need to make a couple plays on defense.”

— LB Dakota Allen
  • Linebacker Dakota Allen said on Wednesday that he feels like he has a lot to prove as he opens his first training camp.
  • The seventh-round pick out of Texas Tech first mentioned making an impact on special teams before also noting that he feels he needs to make some plays on the defensive end in order to stick around for Week 1.
  • Allen was a second-team All-Big 12 honoree in 2017, and a first-team All-Big 12 honoree in 2018 — so he can certainly make plays on defense.
  • But as a seventh-round pick, the place where he can make the most impact in 2019 will almost certainly be on special teams. So he’s taking the right approach.

“Trimmed down a smidge — think I built up some muscle this offseason. I’m just trying to be in the best shape I can be and compete on the field.”
— DL Greg Gaines
  • Rookie nose tackle out of Washington Greg Gaines said he lost a little weight over the summer in preparation for camp.
  • Gaines said he was at about 315 pounds, but cut that down to about 307, noting that’s where he wants to be.
  • How’d he trim down? Eating better and working out a lot, he said.
  • But as the father of a four-month-old son, he would allow himself a cheat meal every now and then. Usually an In-n-Out burger, which is a great choice.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams...-hotel-comfort-as-training-camp-gets-underway

Rams will live in hotel comfort as training camp gets underway

Before arriving at training camp as a rookie in 2016, Rams quarterback Jared Goff purchased fans for players and coaches on offense to cool un-air conditioned dorm rooms at UC Irvine, where the Rams spent about six weeks.

Three years later — and coming off a Super Bowl appearance — the Rams won’t have to worry about comfort.

When Goff, other quarterbacks and rookies arrive Wednesday, they will report to a Newport Beach hotel, which will serve as the organization’s home for an abbreviated camp at nearby Irvine.

No more dorm rooms, dining halls and golf carts for players to traverse the sprawling Irvine campus.

Veterans report Friday. Third-year coach Sean McVay will put his team through its first practice Saturday.

Goff, running back Todd Gurley and defensive lineman Aaron Donald are among star players back from a team that finished the 2018 season with a 13-3 record, and then defeated the Dallas Cowboys and the New Orleans Saints before losing to the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Safety Eric Weddle and linebacker Clay Matthews are veteran additions for a team that also might count on several rookies, including safety Taylor Rapp, running back Darrell Henderson, cornerback David Long and defensive lineman Greg Gaines.

McVay, in line for a possible contract extension, is expected to once again hold out starters and key rotational players from preseason games.

After only seven public workouts — including an Aug. 3 joint practice with the Chargers — the Rams break camp Aug. 4. Two days later, they will practice at their training facility at Cal Lutheran in Thousand Oaks, and then leave for Napa, where they will practice with the Oakland Raiders for two days before the Aug. 10 preseason opener at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum.

The Rams leave Aug. 15 for Hawaii, where they will play a “home” game against the Dallas Cowboys in Honolulu on Aug. 17.

The Rams play the Denver Broncos on Aug. 24 at the Coliseum, and conclude the preseason Aug. 29 on the road against the Houston Texans.

The Rams open the season Sept. 8 against the Carolina Panthers at Charlotte, N.C.

Etc.

Admission to training camp practices is free, but tickets are required. Register at therams.com/trainingcamp. Ticket registration also is available at UC Irvine. Prepaid parking is available at www.parking.uci.edu/rams. Rams players will sign autographs after practices, which will be held July 27-30 and Aug. 2-4.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
hotel-california.jpg

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Did anyone else notice that Joe Noteboom showed up with the rookies and quarterbacks? Looks like he’s taking his starting opportunity seriously.
By the way it was in the pictures that they take of the rookies and quarterbacks arriving on therams.com.

Ram65

Legend
“Trimmed down a smidge — think I built up some muscle this offseason. I’m just trying to be in the best shape I can be and compete on the field.”
— DL Greg Gaines
  • Rookie nose tackle out of Washington Greg Gaines said he lost a little weight over the summer in preparation for camp.
  • Gaines said he was at about 315 pounds, but cut that down to about 307, noting that’s where he wants to be.
  • How’d he trim down? Eating better and working out a lot, he said.
  • But as the father of a four-month-old son, he would allow himself a cheat meal every now and then. Usually an In-n-Out burger, which is a great choice.

Thought he would keep the weight on. I guess if he is stronger it shouldn't matter. Can't wait to see him battle out with SJD for PT.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
I just heard Lindsey Thiry mention the Rams players showing up in Newport Beach and I said to myself, "she's wrong, the are in Irvine at UCI." Well guess I was wr....wro....wro....wron....mistaken.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Did anyone else notice that Joe Noteboom showed up with the rookies and quarterbacks? Looks like he’s taking his starting opportunity seriously.
By the way it was in the pictures that they take of the rookies and quarterbacks arriving on therams.com.

Man I hope that this young team is hungry after the end to last season.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Better acomodations VFR, no dorms and now they get air conditioning. Not so sure they will enjoy the bus ride during traffic time though.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just heard Lindsey Thiry mention the Rams players showing up in Newport Beach and I said to myself, "she's wrong, the are in Irvine at UCI." Well guess I was wr....wro....wro....wron....mistaken.
They're staying in a hotel there instead of in the dorms at UCI this year. UCI is all temporary until a site is built which will be after the stadium.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Better acomodations VFR, no dorms and now they get air conditioning. Not so sure they will enjoy the bus ride during traffic time though.

They'll be relaxing in big bus seats and either listening to music, jabbering with each other, or playing their portable gaming machines. They'll be fine. An extra few minutes in comfort is no big deal.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Super Bowl contenders don't have to stay in no stinkin dorms. These dudes deserve the luxury upgrade, nice to see Stan takin care of business with first class treatment of his players.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Super Bowl contenders don't have to stay in no stinkin dorms. These dudes deserve the luxury upgrade, nice to see Stan takin care of business with first class treatment of his players.
Dude, it'a a motel 6!

(just kidding)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I love Newport man... Those boys need to check out the Wedge too, while they're down there. And stay out of the water lol, don't want no broken bones from the shore break.

fixedw_large_4x.jpg