Quinn's Rookie Performance Actually Calls to Mind Wistrom

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

wv ram said:
Quinn's Rookie Performance Actually Calls to Mind Wistrom

By D'Marco Farr
Published: July 12, 2012

http://www.101sports.com/category/d...e-Performance-Actually-Calls-to-Mind-Wistrom/

All eyes are on Rams right defensive end Robert Quinn this year. If he realizes his potential as a pass-rusher, then this year could be the start of something great for the St. Louis defense. Quinn started to come on in the second half of last season, recording four sacks in his last eight games. He earned more and more playing time, and flashed big-play ability as the only Ram to log a blocked punt. But he would also disappear for extended periods during drives and learned the hard and painful lesson that you can’t take plays off in the NFL. And no matter how fast you are, you just can’t run around elite left tackles all the time in professional football. He had some problems at times disengaging from big, physical offensive tackles when they got their hands on him.

With dedication to his craft, the sky’s the limit for Quinn. Yet, many were surprised when the Rams selected Quinn at No. 14 overall in the 2011 NFL draft. Some teams picking ahead of the Rams were scared off by rumors of a brain tumor, even though he has top talent.

So, what is the expectation? First, let me ask a question.

If Robert Quinn plays for nine seasons and records fewer than six sacks per season, would you consider him a bust? What if he never leads the Rams in quarterback sacks, save for just one season? Is he a flop? Would you be OK if Quinn never sniffs a Pro Bowl team, or would you say it was unrealized potential?

If the answer is yes to any of the above, then I would have to ask what you think of Grant Wistrom.

Wistrom, a two-time All American and Lombardi Award winner at the University of Nebraska, was drafted sixth overall by the Rams in 1998. An “up the field” guy who went sideline to sideline, he made a ton of backside plays. I never saw him take a play off in practice or a game and, last time I checked, most Rams fans consider Grant a primetime player on two Super Bowl teams who impacted the team far beyond the stat sheet. As a teammate, I appreciated Wistrom’s nonstop motor and relentless effort more than his pure pass-rush ability as a defensive end. He was a terror off the edge, though. Left ends Kevin Carter and Leonard Little both benefited from Wistrom’s ability to battle through blocks and make plays. Sure, they may have ended their respective Rams careers with more sacks than Wistrom. But I would also have to argue that both guys wouldn’t have had as much success without Wistrom lining up on the other side.

Quinn’s rookie season eclipsed Wistrom’s in terms of production and participation. Wistrom played in 13 games, with no starts, and recorded three sacks, one forced fumble and 14 tackles. Quinn appeared in 14 games, starting one, and notched five sacks, one forced fumble, two passes defended and 20 tackles. And you have to say that Wistrom’s journey to the starting lineup should have been considerably less difficult than Quinn’s. Mike D. Jones started at right defensive end for the Rams in 1998. He should have been easily replaceable by a player selected sixth overall. It didn’t work out that way. James Hall was the starter at right end in 2011 – one year after logging 10.5 sacks. Hall should’ve been the starter. Jones (even though he’s a friend) should not have started 15 games at right defensive end.

If Quinn turns out to be just another Grant Wistrom, would you be disappointed?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Re: Quinn's Rookie Performance Actually Calls to Mind Wistro

Bottom line? - No.

But I suspect Quinn will be a different beast. Teams may have to game plan for him on passing downs whereas I think they could pretty much play Wistrom straight up on most plays. Wistrom was just more of an all around piece to the defense. I think part of the difference may be that they can use Quinn's aggressiveness against him on screens and play-action where they couldn't really do that as much with Wistrom. I think blockers had to hold their assignment more with Wistrom. Quinn will bring havoc in the backfield and on ST - especially when they try to just chip him. He will likely get better against the run as well. That doesn't mean that I feel either is a better player. I also felt we got somewhat of a steal at 14 with Quinn. Time will tell.