Quick and Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
When you think about it...

How many offenses would look totally different without their starting RB and best receiver?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
One would think a fair bit. Only time will tell though.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
How long have we been waiting for even a decent offense? It shouldn't be this hard.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Also missing in week 2 pre-season was best D-lineman and best O-Lineman.

When Quick went down last year, we lost the ability to mis-match, pick your poison. We were an offense that could be handled with a decent competent game plan.
Mason would be a one on many teams...Adding Gurley is cake.

Hope we get better in the next 3 home games.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Lets be honest,

Gurley: hasn't played a down yet, until then Mason is our guy, and I'm not sure if you haven't noticed, he's not too bad ;)

Quick: I'm worried that he's classed as our number 1, in 38 games in 3 years, it's only last year things started to click, lets wait and see. I don't think the Rams will have a number 1 receiver/target for a while, too many guys that are good Britt, Bailey, Kendricks, Cook, Bailey, Austin and Quick.

I don't think our offense is written around two players, I'd be worried if it was ;)

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

On a per game basis, Quick fit the bill last year before the shoulder injury. I don't know if he returns to that level of play, but if he does his profile raises from "4th year player who has played sparingly" to "legitimate offensive threat" pretty quickly.

Gurley is a rookie, but a tremendously talented one. Again, a guy I could see raising his profile quite quickly.

Are we in the same place as elite offenses in the NFL with players in these positions who are proven NFL stars? Naw, of course not. But now that they're on the field, we can actually see if they're going to get there.

Psycho_X

Legend
Also, when Quick went down last season we had relied on a very dismal running game as well. Defenses had begun to double team or at least put their best man on him. Mason emerged after Quick went down. Exploiting defenses should be a lot easier this year if Gurley lives up to his reputation and Mason continues to develop. It'll make the opposing back seven play more honestly, it'll open up the seams and crossing routes more often, and make play action a wet dream for our tall receivers deep being single covered and/or Tavon Austin setting up in open space.

We just got to stay relatively healthy and continue to progress.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
It all starts with Foles. If he plays like an NFL starting QB, then all things on O become possible.

THEN Quick and Gurley become threats that other teams must game plan around. Or else...

A genuine 2 headed O monster.

And Cook, Britt, and Bailey ain't too shabby, either.

Psycho_X

Legend
Should edit my previous post but will just add that if Gurley becomes as good as everyone expects him to I laugh at what Cook will be able to do in the seam and Austin will do on crossing routes or curles/screens.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
It all starts with Foles. If he plays like an NFL starting QB, then all things on O become possible.

THEN Quick and Gurley become threats that other teams must game plan around. Or else...

A genuine 2 headed O monster.

And Cook, Britt, and Bailey ain't too shabby, either.

Kind of.

Foles's Jekyll and Hyde routine of 2013/2014 suggests to me that he looks a lot better with other pieces in place (Jackson, healthy McCoy, healthy line)...as do most QBs not named Peyton, Brady, or Rodgers.

I think he's the kind of quarterback who relies on a symbiotic relationship with the other members of the offense moreso than a franchise revolutionary like the above guys...unless he's become something far greater than he was in 2014 himself, which I suppose is possible.

IMO, the good news is these types of parts that put him in a place where he could play at his best in 2013 could be getting healthy and experienced with the team now.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Yeah, like Shaun and FLV said, it's a big leap to say we're dependent on a guy who jut got here this year and hasn't played a down of NFL football ever and a guy who only had 375 yards last year. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm as big into Quick and Gurley as can be, but to pin our woes on them isn't exactly accurate.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
Yeah, like Shaun and FLV said, it's a big leap to say we're dependent on a guy who jut got here this year and hasn't played a down of NFL football ever and a guy who only had 375 yards last year. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm as big into Quick and Gurley as can be, but to pin our woes on them isn't exactly accurate.

I'm not entirely sure what our "woes" are at this point, TBH. I started this thread in response to the legitimate hand wringing going on regarding our offense in the preseason, and while I don't like it either, I don't know what it's going to portend with live ammo.

I doubt there's little question that Gurley and Quick get a good percentage of snaps at their positions when they're healthy based on the makeup of the roster now, is there? I get that you are saying that they are unknown quantities, and I agree, but they've also demonstrated a lot of talent. For instance, saying Quick had 375 yards, while true, doesn't give you the full scope of how he performed last year in the 6 and half games before he went down.

Gurley is a rookie, but he was also the most talented player in college football when healthy.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
We can have the best RBs in the league, but if our O-Line can't create push/running lanes, our RBs won't be a threat. Same goes in the passing game. If the O-Line, with the help of RBs/TEs, can't pass block, Foles won't have much time to get the ball to our receivers. So, it reality, it all starts with the O-Line, plain and simple.

I mentioned it in another post, if it's going to take time for the offense to click, keeping it simple is best. The defense and special team's play need to keep the games close which hopefully will take some pressure off the offense to score a bunch of points, or play from behind with large deficits.

Our skilled players have great potential to be very dynamic, but I think it's going to take a bit more time until the O-Line starts to gel as a unit.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
We can have the best RBs in the league, but if our O-Line can't create push/running lanes, our RBs won't be a threat. Same goes in the passing game. If the O-Line, with the help of RBs/TEs, can't pass block, Foles won't have much time to get the ball to our receivers. So, it reality, it all starts with the O-Line, plain and simple.

I mentioned it in another post, if it's going to take time for the offense to click, keeping it simple is best. The defense and special team's play need to keep the games close which hopefully will take some pressure off the offense to score a bunch of points, or play from behind with large deficits.

Our skilled players have great potential to be very dynamic, but I think it's going to take a bit more time until the O-Line starts to gel as a unit.

I'm not a big, "it all starts with" or "...... is the most important" or however you want to put it guy.

I believe in the team game concept. I believe the best players in the game, at any position, help the guys around them achieve their maximum potential. The better a player is, the more of a positive effect he has on helping his teammates reach the best of their abilities.

So I do think that Quick and Gurley can help the line achieve better results too. If Quick gets open faster, the line doesn't need to pass block as long. If Gurley reads his blocks well, the run blocking become more effective than if he slams into the hole a half second too fast or too slow...that kind of thing. It's a timing game.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
Some facts on Quick.

He was injured pretty early on in the Kansas City game - game 7 if we're counting, which will kind of be my point here shortly. In that game he had 1 catch for 10 yards before coming out on the first drive of the second quarter.

If we exclude that one quarter of play, through the 6 games he was healthy he was almost on pace for 1,000 yard season, and 8 TDs.

Now, I get that his first two seasons, he was a complete non factor. And he came from a small school, he was a developmental prospect that lots of us were down on, and then he had the shoulder injury.

But...he was getting there before he got hurt.

So while I get the idea that some want to pump the breaks on him, I think a fair amount of at least cautious optimism can be warranted as well.