Quick and Dirty Mock to 19 after 1st round FA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Now the list looks fine. I want a ring this year. Adding a OL to an already good starting 5 doesn't move you in that direction IMO.
I agree with this. But if the Rams think one of those guys who slips to them is a starting LT then they may just take him. As much as I want impact this season there are certain truths at play there in the supply & demand realm where the Rams rarely select high enough to find a good LT, and they rarely are available for very long. This OT class is quite nice at the top so if they elect to take advantage I will certainly understand that and try to appreciate the long term vision at work there.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can the tender to AJ be rescinded if they go OT saving them that money an putting towards a Calais Campbell or a couple of vets up front?
No, the window closes on RFA prior to the draft.
They can rescind the tag up to a week before the draft, which would make him a UFA.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
They can rescind the tag up to a week before the draft, which would make him a UFA.
Correct.

April 19 Deadline for Restricted Free Agents to sign Offer Sheets.
April 24 Deadline for Prior Club to exercise Right of First Refusal to Restricted Free Agents who signed offer sheets.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
And the Rams are actually in premium position when it comes to Alaric.

They like him at LT or else they wouldn't have tendered him at the 2nd round level.
They may not be sure if he's the long term answer
If somebody gives them a poison pill or signs him to a larger than normal unmatchable offer, they'll take the 2nd round pick, attach it to #19, trade with the Chargers at #5 and take Alt.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
You think that's wt they doing protecting themselves for a tackle they cover and AJ a plan B? Or no?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You think that's wt they doing protecting themselves for a tackle they cover and AJ a plan B? Or no?
Not sure I understand the question.
They have Noteboom and Alaric (pending he doesn’t get a contract)
I still don’t think that rules out LT in draft since both guys are UFA in ‘25

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
You know they are drafting an OL in this deep class but it might not be with the first couple of picks. You are still getting a decent OL in the 3rd round, someone who could maybe start next year.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
McVay was seen talking to Fautanu after the Washington pro day.

I would prefer they address edge or DT over a tackle who projects to guard, or right tackle
Maybe the Rams project him to LT. I've seen plenty of draft profiles on him that feel he can play LT now that he's put the short arms concern to rest.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Maybe the Rams project him to LT. I've seen plenty of draft profiles on him that feel he can play LT now that he's put the short arms concern to rest.
Yeah. I understand your point. It’s possible. The Rams are very specific about the types of ‘human beings’ that they draft. Fautanu may be able to play oLT, but he’s been projected to guard by many draft people. I would hope if they use that first round pick that they can get a slam dunk, and not a player with questions.

If they draft a tackle then they should have just let Jonah Jackson sign elsewhere and move Aleric to Guard. Then they could have focused their free agent attention on an edge rusher.

However, they could be looking to the future.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You know they are drafting an OL in this deep class but it might not be with the first couple of picks. You are still getting a decent OL in the 3rd round, someone who could maybe start next year.
Of course they will draft OL in this, and pretty much every draft. Point being that the RFA deadline on AJ doesnt necessarily move the needle one way or the other on the impact of pick #19. Even if 77 were to agree to a long term deal prior to the draft, they could still draft an OT at 19

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I was throwing it out there maybe they hold the tender on AJ until they secure a tackle they targeted but if they don't get said tackle they keep AJ? If they do get said tackle then they rescind the tender and use cap on another vet FA? I guess an emergency break glass type plan.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was throwing it out there maybe they hold the tender on AJ until they secure a tackle they targeted but if they don't get said tackle they keep AJ? If they do get said tackle then they rescind the tender and use cap on another vet FA? I guess an emergency break glass type plan.
If they sign Jackson, he’d be a relatively cheap, high end backup.

I still don’t see what he was doing wrong last season though.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
If they sign Jackson, he’d be a relatively cheap, high end backup.

I still don’t see what he was doing wrong last season though.

I'm not saying I'm for or against it just was thinking if they feel they would upgrade the LT position saving them some money to add another player if that could be a way of thinking to upgrade one and use the money to maybe help with another hole. Was just throwing it out there if it's a possible path but didn't know when a tender could be removed which @dieterbrock answered

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm not saying I'm for or against it just was thinking if they feel they would upgrade the LT position saving them some money to add another player if that could be a way of thinking to upgrade one and use the money to maybe help with another hole. Was just throwing it out there if it's a possible path but didn't know when a tender could be removed which @dieterbrock answered
I understand. I feel that there are more pressing needs. However, I always feel it’s a good thing to take positions of strength in a draft, like OT and receiver in this one.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
could the first two picks give us some insight into how the Rams are thinking about their future?

A QB could mean McVay is serious about being in it for the long haul.

An OLT could mean they are thinking of a multi year Super Bowl window.

A pass rusher feels like a more urgent move indicating that they think it’s happening now.

A receiver feels like a future move for a longer run.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
could the first two picks give us some insight into how the Rams are thinking about their future?

A QB could mean McVay is serious about being in it for the long haul.

An OLT could mean they are thinking of a multi year Super Bowl window.

A pass rusher feels like a more urgent move indicating that they think it’s happening now.

A receiver feels like a future move for a longer run.
Well I think I read they have an offseason decision to make on Stafford but either way if he doesn't play well this season and if they do take a LT then they will be set up to draft a QB who will benefit from one hell of a line in front of him. So the investment in the OL so far is welcome and even more investment in the draft would be welcome. Wouldn't be particularly efficient, given that OT would need to redshirt, but it would set the table for QB play to be strong no matter what they do at the position.

Even a rook can look decent, after all, provided he has a strong run game and protections. :thumbsup1: