Question. Is building a competitive roster in ‘23 even doable, realistically?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Yes, we can also the OP listed backups but asked for starters.
Have some faith at least until TC.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well, will disagree with you on this. Yes they are pro’s and will go out and compete…but if you are saying that players don’t care what the front office would s doing your dreaming. I don’t think it is Stafford idea to try to eek out a 7 win season coming into the last few seasons of his career. Someone is selling this to the players because I read literally everywhere that players are recruiting each other to play on their team. We are very lucky that our 2 best offensive players are quiet men publicly…that doesn’t mean they’re happy.
There is a difference between being a guy who doesn't like something and being the guy who is shitting his pants in the foxhole.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I don’t think too many miracles are required to field a good team this year. A playoff team? Well, that’s a taller order.

First and foremost, an Edge/OLB to replace floyd is needed and well within the Rams’ reach.

A starting OL, probably at either Center or Tackle would be best. The Rams have several players who can play guard. A Center kicks Shelton into that mix. A Tackle could move Jackson inside.

Hitting on those two picks alone, puts the Rams back in the game. The offense can breathe and execute, putting up more points. With a decent pass rush, the young secondary stands a chance.

Playoff team? Well, that requires 2 more significant upgrades on defense and one on offense. Much harder to pull off, but not impossible.
1) stopping the run without gaines and arob becomes a lot tougher unless there is significant improvement from the existing personnel or a draft steal. A top tier CB has to emerge or be acquired. That puts the defense back in business.
2) the offense needs to have another weapon, preferably a TE who can block in the running game AND catch the ball.

The Rams have the best QB in the division, an OPOY just 2 years removed, and a HOF Defender who just might have some gas still in the tank. We have been in FAR WORSE situations.

Don’t give up just yet. The Rams are still undefeated and tied for 1rst place!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I am worried about special teams though. When you have to concentrate on filling so many holes, ST's seem to suffer the most and ours just got gutted at the top. We need a K, P, and LS so no chemistry there at all. There are some worthy of drafting but can you afford to use what are now valuable picks to you on STs? Can you afford not to? Damn it man!

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
The easy path:

Rams succeed: “Yay! The Rams are winning!”

Rams fail: “Yay! I was right!”

I’m still predicting we make the playoffs. If I’m wrong, so be it.
Right?
Or the classic "I hope I'm wrong", etc. :rolleyes:

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I don't think many of us would be saying 'Yay!".

homer TheSimpsons GIF by Live What You Love Business Coaching

Better?

dang

Legend
I find it fascinating that many here state the Rams lost all of the talent and are tanking.......didn't all that same talent get us 5 wins last year?
Exactly. McSnead knew getting under the cap, otherwise staying the course and adding a couple draft picks wasn’t going to get them very far for 2023 and beyond. So a major “retool” was their choice with the addition of serious talent in 2024 via trade, FA and draft. So…
Stand by your Plan.
Give it two Lombardis to cling to.
And something warm to motivate you.
When nights are cold and lonely.

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I wonder.

Let’s make a few assumptions, first:

Snead pulls off a coup and manages to get 2 trade downs giving Rams a total of 5 picks in Top 100-120. This might be a stretch.

Let’s further assume that all 5 are ‘hits’, meaning quality starters. Not Pro Bowlers, but at least solid starters in ‘23. Another stretch.

Let’s assume that of the remaining 8 picks one third are solid contributors. That would be a third stretch, I think.

I’m also now assuming that Rams will fill out P, K, and LS for ST from udfa’s or ranks of unemployed cheap vets, rather than spending valuable picks on 2 of them.
A lot of unnecessary stretching IMHO. We don't "need" 5 hits. We need "to hit" on our draft but that doesn't mean "5 hits". We need Edge and another ILB to start. That's really it.
So, after these assumptions, where does that leave us? It leaves us with 8 picks that ‘make it’ and a whole butt load of 3rd tier vets to fill in the cracks, that’s what.

What rookie staters at what positions might we wind up with, realistically?

Let’s see…

OC
OG
Backup TE
Backup RB
Edge (maybe 2)
DL
CB
S

Oops! That’s 9 right there. Maybe only one Edge or skip the OG?
First off, backup TE and RB are not "starters". OC AND G? Not likely we'd start two rookies and in fact we might not even have those two rookies. One? Possibly. Edge we need. It would be nice to draft two but they probably won't be #36 and #69, so only 1 'starter'. CB? Yeah, if it's one of the first three picks he could start. DL? Not very likely. Donald, Murchison, B.Brown, E.Brown, Copeland and Jonah Williams. Do we even need a DL? S? Not gonna be a starter, again, unless he's a stud drafted at #36 or 69. Not very likely. We have Fuller, Yeast and Lake. So there's really no need to "stretch" anything.

Anything more must come from the scrap heap.

Backup QB
Another Edge
ILB
Another CB (or 2)
Another S (or 2)
More depth for DL
WR (depending on AR’s fate)
P
K
LS

These are not just for the 90 in camp, these are for the 53 during regular season!

See the challenge?
Yeah, I see the challenge of constructing a roster. A challenge just like 2017.

We all know that Rams have thought this through, but it seems obvious that they have left themselves little margin for error. Snead has got to have the draft of his life PLUS an outstanding finishing FA to fill in the cracks. Gulp…

Want a silver lining? I do think McVay has assembled a quality asst coaching corps and that they will do a good job of rapid player development. They’re gonna have to really earn their money, that’s for sure.

And pray that Snead can pull off that hypothetical double trade down on Day 2. Without that, the scrap heap becomes even more important. Goodness.

Thoughts?
Thoughts? See above.

And....

Snead doesn't have to have "the draft of his life". That's utter hype. He's got to have a "solid" draft. I agree with paragraph two on the assistants.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I find it fascinating that many here state the Rams lost all of the talent and are tanking.......didn't all that same talent get us 5 wins last year?
There is a point to that. Most of the guys we lost could do no better than a one year deal. Makes me wonder if as fans we overvalued them. Maybe these guys aren't as good as we think? Maybe losing them won't make as much a difference as we think?

These guys were part of an 12 loss team. Maybe its time for a change. Even if this year doesn't result in a winning season maybe the young guys they draft can get some valuable experience for next year. I keep reading 2024 is the year they target to make another run at it.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The OL is the unknown here....we could have the players already on the roster. If they mimic the pass pro we got two years ago for Stafford, we could win the division.

The defense.....I mean we had a below average defense last year with all those stars. Defense is variable. In 2020 it was the best defense in the league and then AD playing injured, it got DESTROYED by the Packers.

We're going to add some players between now and then, and some of them will be good. Additionally, everyone from the last two drafts are going to be at least a little better - that's how progression works in the NFL. Some of those guys will probably break out (Durant, Tutu, etc.).

We possibly have the best offensive player and best defensive players in the entire NFL, along with a stud QB, and we're asking questions like this...

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Nope ... Still not accurate.
But Homer Simpson is always welcome in my home.

There are some that would rather be right (about thinking the Rams are not going to be good in 2023), than be wrong and see the Rams have a good season. However, most of us would truly prefer to be wrong, and really do want the Rams to be good in 2023.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Nope ... Still not accurate.
But Homer Simpson is always welcome in my home.

There are some that would rather be right (about thinking the Rams are not going to be good in 2023), than be wrong and see the Rams have a good season. However, most of us would truly prefer to be wrong, and really do want the Rams to be good in 2023.
As to the first category, I can only shake my head.

To the second, I’d simply say “be patient.”

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
As to the first category, I can only shake my head.

To the second, I’d simply say “be patient.”
Completely agree on the 1st ... Hate that attitude.

It's not a lack of patience. It's just an objective opinion that differs from objective opinions of some posters.

I occasionally mention the Vent Thread that followed the Rams' 2021 loss to Green Bay that culminated in a win-less November of the Super Bowl winning season. It's a great thread to re-visit, to provide perspective.
I was kind of optimistic (and calling for patience) in my analysis of the Rams at that point in time, and butted heads with a number of posters who were certain the Rams were toast after a win-less month .

Of course, the Rams went-on to win 9-of-10, including four playoff games and a Lombardi. That thread is currently on page 83 of this forum.

Unfortunately, I just don's have much optimism right now. Looking objectively at what they have currently, and the resources to fill needs, I don't see how the Rams can field a strong roster in 2023. However, I remain forever hopeful!

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
Since I have no idea of whom so many starters (and key backups) will be are I decline to make any forecast based just on a "great coaching staff".

The idea that we can just grab currently unemployed players and turn them into solid contributors on an level equal to the players they will be replacing on the DLine, at LB, or in the D backfield seems, at best, fanciful.

Just where and how last year's predictable and anemic offensive performances against every eventual playoff bound team we faced will be improved also currently escapes me.

IIRC the Rams are the only team in the league that do not currently have a place kicker, a punter, or a long snapper even on the roster.

Very curious strategy and pardon my skepticism.

As an example, Ngakoue is a UFA and he would be an upgrade as a pass rusher to Floyd. You think Kupp, Jefferson, A. Robinson, Atwell and Skowronek are scrubs?

Did you watch last season? There were injuries all over the team. Look how many games Stafford and Kupp missed. Their OL were guys off the street things were so bad.

When the Rams signed John Sullivan he was a 35 years old FA, Andrew Whitworth look at how old he was and both were thought to be beyond their prime. Austin Corbett was riding the bench as a failed center. So you don't believe that someone like Zach Thomas can play? Let's ignore that Jackson was an UDFA but showed he can play well at both OG and OT. Shelton bounced around before he got to LA but he's played well and projects as the Rams starter at center from 2024 on. They drafted Bruss for a reason. He projected then as their starting RG, so how has that changed?

Kupp had his second injury so that should make him injury prone right? Let's cut him.

Ramsey was beginning to become a disgruntled player, so the Rams got him out of the lockerroom. He dictated where he wanted to go, i.e. the Dolphins so the Rams accomodated him. They got Hunter Long TE who projected as a 3rd or 4th round pick in his draft just like Higbee. Also like Higbee he evaluated as a receiving TE not a blocking TE. Hunter could be the next Higbee starting at TE next year.

Losing Gaines IMO hurt but put that on Morris. He insists on playing a 0T, two gap NT and Gaines is strictly a one gap DLman. In the secondary Rochell showed as a rookie he's better than David Long who again Morris preferred. IMO the hiring of Aubrey Pleasant could reflect a declining confidence in Morris as a DB coach, i.e. coaching up the players on how to play their positions. Pleasant really emerged under Staley and that secondary played fast and aggressive. Pleasant's leaving was due to clashes with Glenn who like Morris wanted to play a read/react Fangio style defense. But unlike Morris, Aaron Glenn found out that style doesn't translate when playing in the secondary. DBs need to read / anticipate and that's how they get turnovers. When they read/react they are always too late. It doesn't seem like much to the fan, but on the field it's a totally different type of secondary play. DBs need to anticipate to jump a route at it's top. That is the only way they can get PDs and INTs.

This team is going to be different in some ways IMO. Not necessarily worse, just different which in fact could be better. Be honest I bet you were one of those who were critical of the 2021 OL, calling for early draft picks to replace a lot of them. IMO the biggest weakness was at LG with David Edwards. Havenstein was even then showing a decline in his ability to handle speed and power. He's never been good at it but when you really evaluate his play it's mediocre at best right now. Looking at his cap, next year, he will be gone and Jackson will most likely be his replacement. What I'm saying is that the most maligned unit the OL might not be as bad as people think. IMO they will be better than the 2021 version and they won a Lombardi with that one.

The Rams will have their entire starting offensive skill players returning. If they stay healthy, they are a match for any defense. The defense simply needs to play more aggressively and I think they will. Edge will be addressed as well as ILB after the loss of Wagner, and CB after the loss of Ramsey. Both Hoecht and Murchison flashed enough last year to be optimistic about them this year. Copeland returns to provide good depth inside as well. Durant looked good last year and Fuller will be back.

IMO the negativity on this board is more a reflection of fairweather than reality. The basic core of this Super Bowl team is still intact on the offense. The D needed changes and there will be those changes. So what is so horribly wrong now as opposed to 2021? People complained about that team before the season as well.

C'mon no team has ProBowl players at all 22 starting positions. That is a fantasy, not reality.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Simply put, if the Rams can fix their OL and have reasonably good health there, they are going to be competitive.