Question for ROD pundits

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MauiRam

Rookie
In the 24 hours ... With Sean McVay thread, this excerpt caught my eye:

1:26 p.m.
There’s a problem: Soon-to-be-32-year-old center John Sullivan, a former Viking in his first year with the Rams, is too smart. He’s reading the defense and immediately calling out perfect offensive adjustments. That’s great in live action but counterproductive in practice when you’re trying to develop your second-year quarterback. “Hey, John,” McVay barks. “Let him”—Goff—“make these calls!”

Is Goff going to be given the responsibility of calling out offensive adjustments when the regular season begins, or will it be Sullivan's? I would guess that Sullivan would be calling out protections/blocking assignments, while Goff would be making sure the skill players are properly lined up. Anyone care to weigh in on this?

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Doesn't the Center usually play the early warning system, ie. gives the QB direction on a change if missed?...Unless I am missing something else. As far as this goes in real game play or practice I don't find it counterproductive at all. Goff should be thankful he finally has a center that can see those and give guidance if need be.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Interesting for-sure....here we have a proven well seasoned very smart center being neutralized (at this time). I'm thinking that McVay wants his system not messed with even if Goff is not very good (at this time) @ calling out the OL protection calls. Goff most likely needs a ton of work in this matter.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's been McVays stance since day 1 that the QB calls protections in his offense. One thing I'll say is to caution people to not assume Goff can't or isn't making the reads and calls. We just have a veteran former pro bowl center who is used to making the calls and isn't giving his qb the time to do it. Thief again this is also a positive as Goff has this veteran to help him with the recognition calls.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Sounds to me like McVay just wants to make sure Goff knows what he's looking at across the line... and is requiring Goff to make the calls on his own at this time so that McVay can tell whether or not he's making the correct reads/calls. McVay is basically testing Goff with this.

I don't think it means that our QB will actually be making the calls. Maybe he will... but at this point in the offseason I bet our new coach is just wanting to make sure that our young QB is seeing what he is supposed to be seeing. How else is McVay going to know what's going on in Goff's head?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Sounds to me like McVay just wants to make sure Goff knows what he's looking at across the line... and is requiring Goff to make the calls on his own at this time so that McVay can tell whether or not he's making the correct reads/calls. McVay is basically testing Goff with this.

I don't think it means that our QB will actually be making the calls. Maybe he will... but at this point in the offseason I bet our new coach is just wanting to make sure that our young QB is seeing what he is supposed to be seeing. How else is McVay going to know what's going on in Goff's head?

I agree....they want to make sure Goff understands what is happening, especially if say Sullivan got injured and was not there to make those calls. Goff needs to be able to also.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
It is my understanding (after some study) that the quarterback makes the line calls in McVay's system.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is my understanding (after some study) that the quarterback makes the line calls in McVay's system.
As I said before that's what McVay has said from when he first got the job.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Gotta love those Centers!
JCollinsLA.jpg
3252-418Fr.jpg
rich-saul.jpg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Is Goff going to be given the responsibility of calling out offensive adjustments when the regular season begins, or will it be Sullivan's? I would guess that Sullivan would be calling out protections/blocking assignments, while Goff would be making sure the skill players are properly lined up. Anyone care to weigh in on this?

I don't think it means that our QB will actually be making the calls. Maybe he will...

It's been McVays stance since day 1 that the QB calls protections in his offense.

That's what I heard too...QB's make the calls....

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Sounds like some sound insurance to me. Coach needs to know if his starting QB is seeing what he needs to see. Center has the keen ability in case QB gets hurt. QB develops the skill if Center gets hurt. Each can consult each other between plays to let the other know what they are seeing. No matter who is responsible for making the calls in this O, it's smart football to have more than one player's eyes on the target. Plan A, Plan B stuff and I like it.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yes, the QB makes the calls in this system. Sullivan just knew what he was seeing so he yelled out the proper adjustments. I chalk it up to his overeagerness at knowing what he was seeing than him doing his job "wrong."

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Sullivan can help Goff with his knowledge. I assume his experience is why they signed him. Goff has time to work on that part of the game.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I want to go out on a limb and say it's the QB's responsibility to make the calls in this particular system. But my claim is totally unfounded.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I'd like to think that they would let the best person for the job make the calls when it counts. I want Goff to learn it too, but if Sullivan can do it better and give us an edge, then when games start let that man make the calls.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'd like to think that they would let the best person for the job make the calls when it counts. I want Goff to learn it too, but if Sullivan can do it better and give us an edge, then when games start let that man make the calls.
Here's the deal (in my opinion) ;
Golf will call the line protections and point out blitzer's, etc.
BUT if he is missing something, like a Safety moving into blitz position, Sullivan will be allowed to point it out of course.
JMO

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's the deal (in my opinion) ;
Golf will call the line protections and point out blitzer's, etc.
BUT if he is missing something, like a Safety moving into blitz position, Sullivan will be allowed to point it out of course.
JMO
spock-meme-generator-that-is-very-logical-of-you-thank-you-captain-3df1a6.jpg

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
It's a good teaching moment and an excellent moment to push the responsibility onto Goff. Let Goff develop that confidence