Quarterbacks Responsible for Taking Sacks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Neil’s NFL Daily: May 20, 2013
Neil Hornsby | 2013/05/20
<a class="postlink" href="https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/20/neils-nfl-daily-may-20-2013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... y-20-2013/</a>

Friday and the weekend brought a few items of note, including the anticipated Dwight Freeney signing by San Diego. I commented on this on the back of Melvin Ingram’s injury last week so will only just reiterate, I don’t think it’s worth getting too hung up on the 3-4 part of the equation. Another pass rusher in the news was Seattle’s Bruce Irvin and I’ll take a moment later to go through the implications of that, but not before I provide you with some information on one of my favourite topics — quarterbacks playing under pressure.

Monday, May 20th

Quarterbacks Responsible for Taking Sacks

I had a mini-glut of correspondence last week on quarterbacks who brought the most sacks on themselves or, to put it another way, those players who took too long to throw and got taken down or simply ran straight into a defender when other options were available.

Four seconds is the time over which we say the QB takes responsibility, but this excludes instances where they were pressured within that limit, had to take evasive action with no opportunity to throw the ball away, but got taken down after it.

As requested, here is the full list of “QB Responsible Sacks” which includes the playoffs (minimum 300+ drop-backs), and to add additional value I’ve also included the number of hits and pressures which we have logged as being down to that player too.

Quarterback Responsible Sacks

uvyRbQO.png

F646F6H.png

A word of warning though, being near the top of this list isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Certain players, like Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson, have a penchant for hanging in under pressure until the last second and beyond, and weigh the risk of the sack against the reward of the play.

What I thought would be interesting was to see if that holds any weight by looking at only plays in which the QB took over four seconds. Would some of the guys at the top of the list also be those who did the best? As QB rating is a blunt instrument at the best of times (never mind on smaller sample sets), though I included it, on this occasion I ranked players using our un-normalized ratings per drop-back.

Quarterback Rank When Throwing After 4 Seconds (minimum 20 drop-backs)

FZu8wPr.png

uQ2ZEmj.png

My first reaction when seeing the results was to think there will be some people out there asking, “is this just another way to show Mark Sanchez at the bottom of a list?”. OK — I get it — but making him look good is a lot trickier than it sounds, and not something I’d attempt at home without an adult auditor supervising operations.

On a serious note, what this suggests is, of the Top 5, Jake Locker, Wilson and Rodgers seem to have a reasonable balance of taking sacks on extended plays and making good things happen, while Jay Cutler and Andy Dalton may wish to reconsider their strategy.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
This might upset some people that say Sam causes a lot of his own sacks.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
DR RAM said:
Funny how facts can ruin a good argument.

Ebonemalone

Rookie
Definitely makes me like him a little more and makes me more excited for the season. If thats possible!

nighttrain

Legend
DR RAM said:
To many variables to ever chart this in some sort of realistic order for me
train