Quarterback roulette: Teams without sustainable QBs are in full panic mode/Prisco

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Quarterback roulette: Teams without sustainable QBs are in full panic mode
March 10, 2016 7:05 pm ET

By Pete Prisco

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...ithout-sustainable-qbs-are-in-full-panic-mode

Colin Kaepernick is now a hot commodity, going from bench to maybe quarterbacking the Super Bowl champions.

Brock Osweiler is getting $18 million a season for seven career starts, and would be getting a fraction of that if not for the plantar fasciitis suffered by Peyton Manning last year. The Rams tendered Case Keenum with a first-round tender as a restricted free agent. Case Keenum? Even Johnny Manziel is being mentioned as a quarterback who could be wanted.

When does the Tim Tebow reclamation project begin?

What the hell is going on?

It's the annual spring-quarterback panic. If you don't have one, you try to do anything and everything to get one -- even if it means bringing in washed-up veterans and playing the Matt Flynn-speculation game with a guy like Osweiler.

Meanwhile, the teams like the Patriots, Packers, Steelers, Seahawks, Cardinals, Colts and those with the young, budding franchise passers like Derek Carr, Blake Bortles, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota and Teddy Bridgewater sit back and watch the misery unfold, their general managers glad it isn't them.

The quarterback roulette game is how you get fired. Fix the position, and you have job security.

Filling in the spot with the McCowns-Hoyers-Schaubs-Flynns of the world will lead to firings and the constant entry into the quarterback sweepstakes. Those quarterbacks might have an aberration season or two, where everything goes right and they get their teams to 9-7 and the playoffs, but it's not sustainable.

Without a sustainable quarterback, things go awry quickly.

Denver is in that position now. You would think John Elway, once one of the great sustainable quarterbacks of all-time, would understand this as much as anybody. Yet with Peyton Manning retiring, he let Osweiler get out the door. Now Osweiler didn't really want to stay, but the difference of $2 million a year might have helped change his mind. The Texans ponied up, and the Broncos didn't.

The Broncos are said to be eyeing a trade to get Kaepernick, who was benched last year for Blaine Gabbert of all people.

There is no guarantee that Osweiler is the sustainable quarterback the Texans have lacked in their entire existence. He might be, though, and the Broncos would have been better off with him.

Denver has no chance to have one now.

Their options: Trade for Kaepernick, sign Ryan Fitzpatrick, make a deal for a guy like Tampa Bay backup Mike Glennon or even Robert Griffin III. Oh, boy.

You see sustainable success with any of those? Me neither.

That's why the picking a quarterback in the first round, even with the potential of a bust, is the way the go when you don't have one. The Cleveland Browns, picking second overall, will take one. It might be Jared Goff or it might be Carson Wentz. It's their shot to get that guy. Even if it doesn't work out, or you might not see the next Andrew Luck in those two, it's the shot they have to take.

You have to keep trying.

I am to the point now that teams without the franchise passers would be wise to take a passer every year in the draft. It doesn't always have to be in the first round. Take the shots. You might get lucky like the Patriots did when they took Brady in the sixth round. Contrary to what they might say now, that was luck -- otherwise he gets drafted much higher.

As the quarterback panic continues around the league, the Packers, Steelers, Colts, Seahawks and others should take solace in knowing they have their guys, leaving the misery for others.

Three teams that did very little in the early part of free agency were the Packers, Steelers and Patriots. Why? They draft well and they have three of the elite passers in the game.

It's a shame there aren't enough of them to go around, leading to that dreaded sickness we see every spring:

Quarterback panic.

More Musings

Chicago Bears
One of the things I like about the Bears signing of Cardinals tackle Bobby Massie is that it allows Kyle Long to go back to guard. He did a nice job at right tackle last season, but he was kind of thrown into it. He is a dominant guard. Massie will play right tackle next to Long. They know each other well from working out together at OLine Academy in Arizona, the place run by former NFL player LeCharles Bentley. Long was thrown in at right tackle last year in camp, and made the most of it. But back at guard he should again become one of the best at his position.

Cincinnati Bengals
Mohamed Sanu was the third receiver for the Bengals, a good player but not much more than that. Yet the receiver-needy Falcons gave him a five-year, $32.5-million deal Thursday that will make him the No. 2 receiver opposite Julio Jones. Sanu can do a lot of things -- including throw it and run it on reverses -- but that's a lot of money to pay a third receiver with hopes he can be a No. 2. Keep an eye on Justin Hardy, who didn't do a lot as a rookie last season but has a lot of potential.

Oakland Raiders
The Raiders badly needed help at corner and signing Sean Smith gives them a nice player who can play press-man. Smith isn't a star, but the Raiders need a lead corner on their defense, and he will fill that role. I like the signing for Oakland, which is putting together a nice, young team. The Raiders are coming fast.

Kansas City Chiefs
The league slapping tampering penalties against the Chiefs is a joke. Every team does it. To single out one team is terrible. The Chiefs got caught tampering with receiver Jeremy Maclin last year, and will lose two draft picks because of it. One is a third this year. That's absurd in a league where every team tampers.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Quarterback roulette: Teams without sustainable QBs are in full panic mode
March 10, 2016 7:05 pm ET

Kansas City Chiefs
The league slapping tampering penalties against the Chiefs is a joke. Every team does it. To single out one team is terrible. The Chiefs got caught tampering with receiver Jeremy Maclin last year, and will lose two draft picks because of it. One is a third this year. That's absurd in a league where every team tampers.

I wonder if teams are all really still tampering and calling the players or is Pete just thinking about the past before the early negotiation window. I heard another analyst saying something similar on the radio.

jap

Legend
It really is a crying shame the game has become so dependent on a single position. The NFL really mucked something up along the way trying to maximize their overall audience (i.e., live game attendance, TV/video attendance).

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I bet Bradford is kicking himself for signing so soon with the Eagles, he could have gotten more from a desperate team in FA.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Nick Folds price tag continues to rise

image.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

jap

Legend
I made a similar point here;

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...s-to-help-the-running-game.42949/#post-707839

Rules to help the passing game are at times exciting... But it's put a premium on the QB position like never before.

I remember Mad Mike wanting to believe the pendulum would eventually swing the other way, and the rushing game will resurface as a viable part of the game. I wonder if the greedy NFL owners and commissioner will actually allow that to happen. In their quest to "make the game more exciting" and generate super revenue, they have gone too damn far.

Fish might be a dinosaur, but a RB like the Gurley Man can legitimize his preference if he can just find the right signal caller to synchronize & harmonize with his Golden Back and a delicious mix of receiving talent to add spice to our passing attack.

Calling Mad Mike! Your QB/WR guru expertise is sorely needed in the Land of LaLa!!!

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I bet Bradford is kicking himself for signing so soon with the Eagles, he could have gotten more from a desperate team in FA.
Well if he stays healthy again this year and puts up similar or brtte numbers he"kl get another big payday next year or the one after because he's only on a 2 year deal. If he's healthy he will get paid...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It really is a crying shame the game has become so dependent on a single position. The NFL really mucked something up along the way trying to maximize their overall audience (i.e., live game attendance, TV/video attendance).

In a way it comes back around to the NFL tbh... They pull players from college programs so fast it is more efficient for them to run the systems that can provide quick impact and scoring. Many schools cannot afford to bring in coaches to run a pro style offense only to see them poached so quickly.

IMO the NFL needs to suck it up and make a minor league system in the small American cities. Or put it in Mexico and into South America. Or cut a deal with the Canadian Football league to allow for roster usage with them as the minor league system. They gotta reinstitute a way to develop guys long term and a minor league system expands the developmental players under team control and will allow for development of QBs as well as some of the more raw players at other positions that take a bit longer.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
In a way it comes back around to the NFL tbh... They pull players from college programs so fast it is more efficient for them to run the systems that can provide quick impact and scoring. Many schools cannot afford to bring in coaches to run a pro style offense only to see them poached so quickly.

IMO the NFL needs to suck it up and make a minor league system in the small American cities. Or put it in Mexico and into South America. Or cut a deal with the Canadian Football league to allow for roster usage with them as the minor league system. They gotta reinstitute a way to develop guys long term and a minor league system expands the developmental players under team control and will allow for development of QBs as well as some of the more raw players at other positions that take a bit longer.

A minor league would be the best thing IMO. I'd love to see it.........

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm no expert on college ball so correct me if I'm wrong but I think college teams can bear some of the blame on the lack of talent at the QB position due to the schemes they run (as is their right I mean their priority is winning not developing NFL talent ) how many times have we read reports from scouts saying so and so played in a pro offence ...he is closest to being NFL ready ...or is it just because the truly elite players have it in them from the start (the likes of arod , Peyton , Brady)

id also say its down to a little bit of luck as well if Rodgers didn't go on his mad slide to the pack and say someone like Cleveland or the raiders took him would he still as good as he is now ?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm no expert on college ball so correct me if I'm wrong but I think college teams can bear some of the blame on the lack of talent at the QB position due to the schemes they run

Let's say you're a college Athletic Director UK... You have a five year contract and you know you need to win. Does it make sense to try to bring in a coach who runs a pro style offense where there is a higher learning curve at the position? Remember this is college and practice time and studying of X's and O's is in direct competition with their studies and partying and chasing tail. And also remember that if a young QB starts as a freshman and "gets it" the NFL and it's focus on QBs ensures he gets drafted out from under your nose very quickly, like as soon as he is eligible.

Sure is easy, on the other hand, to recruit athletes and let them run a simplistic read option though eh? When the NFL comes calling it is so much easier to reload the position with a new athlete who has some arm to him. This is why I say the NFL shares in this mess, because they don't insist or probably cannot insist on players finishing their collegiate careers, which in turn affects the style of play at that level.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's say you're a college Athletic Director UK... You have a five year contract and you know you need to win. Does it make sense to try to bring in a coach who runs a pro style offense where there is a higher learning curve at the position? Remember this is college and practice time and studying of X's and O's is in direct competition with their studies and partying and chasing tail. And also remember that if a young QB starts as a freshman and "gets it" the NFL and it's focus on QBs ensures he gets drafted out from under your nose very quickly, like as soon as he is eligible.

Sure is easy, on the other hand, to recruit athletes and let them run a simplistic read option though eh? When the NFL comes calling it is so much easier to reload the position with a new athlete who has some arm to him. This is why I say the NFL shares in this mess, because they don't insist or probably cannot insist on players finishing their collegiate careers, which in turn affects the style of play at that level.

oh I know the college's first and only priority is to win ...as it should be .. I mean its peoples livelihoods on the line and why they pay big bucks right ?

well surely the way round it is to amend draft eligibility rules to make sure that these guys finish their college stuff first (although didn't think they could join a team until they graduate right )