QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
If Fields had one more year on his deal I'd do a trade. His market is way worse than anticipated. At best he'll be in a QB competition next year. Probably a backup. Dude can't throw over the middle and that's a issue in McVay's offense though.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Only QB I would take at 19 that should be there is Pennix. I think Pennix is going to be the QB prize of this draft as it is. Dont want anything to do with Nix or McCarthy, feel like backups not starters at the NFL.

Other option: Sign Wentz if the price is right.
Cheaper options: Mac Jones, hearing NE wants a 5th. Not a huge fan but smart and could be a good fit for a McVay style of offense. Arm strength could be a concern.
Zac Wilson: All the tools, could McVay get in his head?

Overall, QB would not be a focus for me at this point. Still think we have a 3 year window at this position. First option would be resigning Wentz though.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They are not drafting their future star QB in this draft. If they draft one he will hopefully be a competent back up or project as a 3rd string QB.

And I am not saying you are expecting them to draft a star QB, just making a statement on the reality of what your post highlights on late rd QBs.
Agree across the board, I was just messing about and put that info together. I didnt want to start a new thread for it, just thought it would fit best here.
For every Tom Brady there are thousands of guys who dont even make a team
BUT you cant find a solid clipboard holder and a guy who could can run the offense in practice well enough.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Only QB I would take at 19 that should be there is Pennix. I think Pennix is going to be the QB prize of this draft as it is. Dont want anything to do with Nix or McCarthy, feel like backups not starters at the NFL.

Other option: Sign Wentz if the price is right.
Cheaper options: Mac Jones, hearing NE wants a 5th. Not a huge fan but smart and could be a good fit for a McVay style of offense. Arm strength could be a concern.
Zac Wilson: All the tools, could McVay get in his head?

Overall, QB would not be a focus for me at this point. Still think we have a 3 year window at this position. First option would be resigning Wentz though.
Penix will absolutely be there at 19... and 52.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Man, I don't seem him lasting till then.
I don't know only so many teams are looking at QBs and there will also be some pretty good QBs getting released because of teams being tight against the cap.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I like this idea. :thumbsup1:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Stafford is the starter. We all know that. Snead mentioned going the veteran route for the backup. I really don't see them drafting one till later in the draft. A project type guy. They will need a 3rd QB.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I like this idea. :thumbsup1:

Prefer Bailey Zappe out when it comes to both current New England quarterbacks. Mac Jones rubs me the wrong way, and he's lost his job to Zappe a lot of times.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Prefer Bailey Zappe out when it comes to both current New England quarterbacks. Mac Jones rubs me the wrong way, and he's lost his job to Zappe a lot of times.
I liked both QBs coming out as depth types for QB2. But Zappe isn't the one who is rumored to be cheap. If the Rams make a move it would have to be someone the team will accept a cheap pick for instead of cutting them.

Also of course a late round draft pick would be best. Someone with high snap count, so lots of experience but arm limited. There's a certain ex-ND and Wake Forest QB that I'd like them to take for that.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Backup QB is very important for the Rams. Draft? Free agency? Who knows. No one could have predicted Wentz would win a game for us agains the 9ers. Going to be interesting but impossible to know who that QB ultimately will be.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Stafford is the starter. We all know that. Snead mentioned going the veteran route for the backup. I really don't see them drafting one till later in the draft. A project type guy. They will need a 3rd QB.
If some think Fields may have to settle for a back up role or will have to compete for a starting position, then Wentz will be a back up as well. Of course he still might prefer being a back up to one of these young guys since he may have a better chance to start.

Then again that would be on a bad team. So maybe backing up a vet like Stafford actually gives him a better chance to be successful IF the starter gets hurt.

It will be interestinif to see if he wants to be here and if they want him here. They have not really stated that they want him back or that they are talking to him about coming back.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I would like to see the Rams address Edge and OL in free agency and then draft CB and QB.
They could draft a QB this year but I'd prefer a QB in the first round for talent and 5 years of control. This ain't the year to do that IMHO. They've said they want a "vet #2" and though they could easily draft a #3, why carry that many? Roster spots are valuable. And besides, we just signed casualty insurance for Stafford for 48 mil. Next year? Drew Allard? Riley Leonard? They're both big, 6'5" and both accurate. Two things McVay's #1's have in common. Stafford is under contract through 2026. We want to waste 3 years on a 4 or 5 year deal? Or 2 years on a 5 year deal?

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I agree with you Param, however would these QBs be available in the 2025 draft at pick #32.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Next year? Drew Allard? Riley Leonard? They're both big, 6'5" and both accurate. Two things McVay's #1's have in common. Stafford is under contract through 2026. We want to waste 3 years on a 4 or 5 year deal? Or 2 years on a 5 year deal?
I will get back to you on Drew Allard, however, I could see McVay liking Riley Leondard. Big, Smart, good arm, and can run.