QB Mannion makes the most of limited action

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_f0bdb168-b15c-5dc1-8e38-bee25b70b92c.html
Rams notes: Rookie QB Mannion makes the most of limited action
As a rookie in his first NFL training camp, quarterback Sean Mannion is learning the virtue of patience.

“It’s definitely different, but I think it’s different for everybody here,’’ the 23-year-old from Oregon State said this week after a workout at Rams Park. “Every one of these guys was one of the best players on his college team. As a quarterback, I’m obviously not getting the reps I was getting a year ago, so you make sure that you’re learning in other ways. For me, that means standing behind the play and near the other quarterbacks. Nick (Foles), Austin (Davis) and Case (Keenum) have all won games in the NFL and they’re a great resource for me. There’s so much value in what I can learn from them, not only on the practice field but also in the meeting room.’’

In addition, Mannion can usually be found getting in some extra throws with rookie receivers after practice.

“It’s a great way to get in some extra reps and make sure you’re getting in enough work,’’ he said. “But even then, it’s more than just running routes — you’re not just going out to the driving range and swinging away — we’re trying to apply that work the same way we would in a game, thinking about the pattern, the protection and the situation.’’

Mannion, a third-round draft pick in May, seems to be catching on pretty well. He’s come on late in the team’s first two preseason games and excelled while running the two-minute offense. In the 18-3 loss to Oakland, he completed eight of 13 passes for 53 yards. He was even better late in the 27-14 loss at Tennessee, completing six of seven for 93 yards, including a 54-yard touchdown to rookie running back Malcolm Brown.

“I’ve always enjoyed the two-minute offense and I feel fortunate for the chances I’ve gotten,” the 6-foot-6, 233-pound Mannion said. “It’s great situational football work, especially for a quarterback because it forces you to manage the clock and deal with different situations. On top of that, the game gets simplified; your reads don’t change but your mentality does. Instead of worrying about putting together a huge drive, my focus is on completions.

“The touchdown to Malcolm was a perfect example. Instead of thinking about a 60-yard drive, I was able to go through my progressions before throwing maybe an 8-yard pass. Then he breaks a couple of tackles and takes it to the house.’’

Mannion said getting completions on his first pass in each game has helped his confidence.

“It’s tough, going through pregame warmups and then trying to keep yourself prepared, knowing that you’re not getting in until late in the game,’’ he said. “Against Oakland, I think my first pass was a screen to Danny (Rodriguez). I was able to take a breath, knowing that I’d completed my first NFL pass, and from there I was able to get into a little bit of a rhythm. And the experience in Nashville was very similar.

“It’s been a great experience so far. Each day, I’m reminded how lucky I am, but at the same time, I realize there’s still a lot of work to be done.’’

NOT LOOKING BACK

The last time the Rams faced the Colts was on Nov. 10, 2013, as the visiting club stunned playoff-bound Indianapolis 38-8 at Lucas Oil Stadium. In that game, the Rams quickly quieted the big crowd by building a 28-0 halftime lead and were up 38-0 before Indianapolis scored.

That game marked the coming out party for Tavon Austin. The No. 8 overall pick in that year’s draft, Austin finished the day with 314 total yards and three touchdowns.

With the Rams already up 14-0 early in the second quarter, he grabbed a bouncing punt near his goal line and returned it 98 yards down the right sideline for his first score. Later in the quarter, he blew by the Colts’ defense along the left sideline to haul in a 57-yard scoring pass from Kellen Clemens.

Just after halftime, he caught a Clemens pass over the middle and outran the Indy defense for an 81-yard touchdown that stretched the Rams’ lead to 35-0.

In that game, Austin returned four punts for 145 yards, one kickoff for 27, had one carry for 4 and caught two passes for 138.

“It was definitely a huge day for me and thankful for everything that went my way that day,’’ said Austin, now in his third NFL season. “But I can’t get that game back. It’s a great memory, but at this point, it really doesn’t mean a thing.’’

Austin, who stands 5 feet 8 and weighs 176 pounds, is expecting big things this season.

“I worked hard in the offseason and I’m anxious to see that work pay off,’’ the 24-year-old said. “I won’t say things are easier, but the game has definitely slowed down. I’m mentally stronger now and I have a better feel for the playbook. I want to play smart and focus on making plays.’’

In an 18-3 loss to Oakland to open the preseason, Austin caught a short pass from Nick Foles on the second play of the opening drive and turned it into a 35-yard gain. It helped set up a Greg Zuerlein field goal.

Last weekend, in a 27-14 loss in Tennessee, Austin was targeted twice but did not have a catch.

“We’ve got some work to do, trying to develop some offensive chemistry,’’ Austin said. “But I’m confident it’ll come.’’

RAM-BLING

The Rams will hold a walk-through Wednesday at Scott Air Force Base. The visit has become an annual tradition as the team shows its appreciation for America’s servicemen and women. As part of the unique experience, 22 military personnel will be selected to take the field and participate in the practice, which is expected to last about an hour.

Following the short workout, the Rams will sign autographs.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I've got a pretty good feeling about Mannion's ceiling if he gets the proper coaching, support and opportunities.

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mojo Ram liking the possibilities:
I've got a pretty good feeling about Mannion's ceiling if he gets the proper coaching, support and opportunities.
He's looking good so far. (y) I hope he gets a lot more reps in the next two games.

EDIT: Beat me to it Ramin! :LOL:

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey

Count me in on Mojo's Bandwagon. All aboard!

Sean's a self starter, an autodidact even. I can't shake this crazy feeling that Sean will emerge from his chrysalis, a few years hence, as a clone of Aaron Rodgers.

When it comes to Sean Mannion, something tells me we're into something good! (y)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIJRRVuOxZw

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Rams fan. If nothing else, I'm patient.

Last edited:

Stel

Starter
I think most of the non-Foles reps go to Keenum and Davis, at least until they decide which one stays. Think Mannion is the #3 all the way and the only thing to be decided is which veteran is the #2. I think Mannion gets significant action only if the #2 decision has been made.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think most of the non-Foles reps go to Keenum and Davis, at least until they decide which one stays. Think Mannion is the #3 all the way and the only thing to be decided is which veteran is the #2. I think Mannion gets significant action only if the #2 decision has been made.

I dunno, Stel.

I think the Davis decision is painfully obvious and has already been made. Wouldn't surprise me if he's among the first cuts next week.

Play Foles at least the first half. Then give a quarter each to Keenum and Mannion. Flip the quarters in the final game for them if you like.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Living in Montana, I've watched plenty PAC-12 Football over the years. My wife's family are Oregon State fans, so I like to watch them play when I can. If he continues to improve his mechanics, understanding the multiple coverages, etc., he will be a good one. I do like him and I like the fact he is wearing horns.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yep

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I dunno, Stel.

I think the Davis decision is painfully obvious and has already been made. Wouldn't surprise me if he's among the first cuts next week.

Play Foles at least the first half. Then give a quarter each to Keenum and Mannion. Flip the quarters in the final game for them if you like.
While I would like to see Mannion play more, I think Stel is right. I wouldn't write Davis off so quick. It has been done before and yet?.....

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
He looks the part alright. He sure jumped off the page in the practices we saw. Great size and delivery. @CoachO pointed out how when he lets loose of the ball its pointed down...He doesnt float it.