QB hand size matters

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11257/carson-wentz

North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz measured 6-foot-5 1/4 and 237 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine. Wentz also measured in with 10-inch hands, dwarfing the carnie-sized 9-inch mitts of Jared Goff and Christian Hackenberg. (We kid, sorta.) Speaking at the Combine on Wednesday, new Browns coach Hue Jackson didn't hide his affinity for big-bodied quarterbacks with big hands. More so than Goff, Wentz fits Jackson's description. Both should be in play for Cleveland at No. 2 overall.

I looking for the bright side here could this hand size issue with Goff help my team? I understand that would be big deal in the mud cold wet foggy dirty Cleveland ....but what if you needed a QB in the worse way & your team would play 8/16 games in the warm dry sunny clean under roof LA? Then add another 2 games in same type weather of Santa Clara & Phoenix so there's 10 games in ideal weather conditions. Chances are you should get another 2 or 3 games in a dome or in the south too....thus hands size may not be the issue in LA that it might be in Cleveland or New York, Philadelphia, (very cold) Denver, Washington or Buffalo. So that might just cause Goff to drop closer to #15?

Good point on the LA and NFC West climate and QB hand size. I think the Rams will have to move up for Goff but this would make Wentz to Cleveland a better match for them.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Small-handed Arkansas QB trying to stretch his fingers before Combine

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 25, 2016, 8:52 AM EST

496174288-e1456408273935.jpg

You know what they say about quarterbacks with small hands — their signing bonuses are smaller.

So in an effort to fix one of the most peculiar and yet meaningful measurements at the Scouting Combine, one prospect is trying to make his hands bigger before the scouts measure them this week.

According to Bruce Feldman of FOX Sports, Arkansas quarterback Brandon Allen has worked with a massage therapist to try to increase the thumb-to-pinkie measurement which some deem as crucial.

“It’s obviously something I can’t control,” Allen said, mentioning the masseuse has tried to stretch his hands twice a week “to maybe get another 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch here or there because the muscles in my hands were really tight and this can loosen them up. I have long fingers.

It’s worth a shot.”

Yes, that’s right. He’s trying to stretch his fingers so his hands look bigger. Because that matters.

Allen’s hands measured at 8 1/2 inches at the Senior Bowl, the smallest of the quarterbacks there. Usually, anything under 9 inches is viewed with suspicion, as the larger the hand, the easier it is to grip the ball and throw it in windy conditions.

Browns coach Hue Jackson admitted it was something he looked at in a quarterback.

“Oh yes, it does. It does,” Jackson said. “It matters because we play in a division where all of a sudden there’s rain, there’s snow and it’s different. I think guys that have big hands can grip the ball better in those environmental situations and so we’ll look for a guy that fits what we’re looking for in a quarterback and is hand size important? Yes it is.”

Again, it makes for an easy joke, especially when small-handed guys such as Tony Romo (sub-9) have problems with ball control over the years. But the fact that Allen is actually trying to stretch his now shows how important the measurement is.

Even if people think he’s circus folk, and smells like cabbages.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...trying-to-stretch-his-fingers-before-combine/
That is awesome.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Small-handed Arkansas QB trying to stretch his fingers before Combine

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 25, 2016, 8:52 AM EST

496174288-e1456408273935.jpg

You know what they say about quarterbacks with small hands — their signing bonuses are smaller.

So in an effort to fix one of the most peculiar and yet meaningful measurements at the Scouting Combine, one prospect is trying to make his hands bigger before the scouts measure them this week.

According to Bruce Feldman of FOX Sports, Arkansas quarterback Brandon Allen has worked with a massage therapist to try to increase the thumb-to-pinkie measurement which some deem as crucial.

“It’s obviously something I can’t control,” Allen said, mentioning the masseuse has tried to stretch his hands twice a week “to maybe get another 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch here or there because the muscles in my hands were really tight and this can loosen them up. I have long fingers.

It’s worth a shot.”

Yes, that’s right. He’s trying to stretch his fingers so his hands look bigger. Because that matters.

Allen’s hands measured at 8 1/2 inches at the Senior Bowl, the smallest of the quarterbacks there. Usually, anything under 9 inches is viewed with suspicion, as the larger the hand, the easier it is to grip the ball and throw it in windy conditions.

Browns coach Hue Jackson admitted it was something he looked at in a quarterback.

“Oh yes, it does. It does,” Jackson said. “It matters because we play in a division where all of a sudden there’s rain, there’s snow and it’s different. I think guys that have big hands can grip the ball better in those environmental situations and so we’ll look for a guy that fits what we’re looking for in a quarterback and is hand size important? Yes it is.”

Again, it makes for an easy joke, especially when small-handed guys such as Tony Romo (sub-9) have problems with ball control over the years. But the fact that Allen is actually trying to stretch his now shows how important the measurement is.

Even if people think he’s circus folk, and smells like cabbages.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...trying-to-stretch-his-fingers-before-combine/

Doesn't publicizing what he's doing undo any advantage he might gain? If I were a team, I would ignore the later results, and just list him at 8 1/2 inches.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Hot damn! Just measured and I'm 10 inches exactly! :yess::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

Psycho_X

Legend
How has no one made a Tony Banks joke yet?

Banks was 9 1/2' by the way. But so was Culpepper and McNair apparently and neither had the fumbling problem Banks had thus cited by the below random article that popped up when I googled "Tony Banks little hands" lol. I think hand size isn't a huge problem (their future wives might disagree :whistle:)... all though apparently Tony Romos are something midget like 8 3/4" (anyone remember the fumbled field goal attempt?). But I think overall grip strength would be more important. Also, type of offense, how often QB gets hit, and just how they hold the ball when they are waiting to throw. Do they hold with two hands or do they flail it about in one hand trying to do too much and gets it smacked out easily?

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1999-12-05/sports/9912040094_1_ravens-gabriel-fumbles/2

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yep, not looking like we will move up. I don't feel this is a smokescreen. I think there's someone that we really like at #15, and we may be looking in the 2nd for a QB. Just my thought. If Goff fell, however, we'd probably take him.
I could be wrong, but I'm starting to think Dallas, @#4, will be going QB. Romo has been injured the last 3 years, he's getting older (36), and Dallas may not find themselves drafting this high again for a while! It may be time to start Training a replacement! JMO

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Just keep telling her that. :cool:

LMAO!

Reminds me of a joke.

Guy goes into a bar. Has a few and then a few more. He's slurring his words when he sees a cat walk across the bar with his tail in the air. This guy's been talking the whole time and the bartender would love nothing more than to shut him up.

"Bet my thing is longer than the cat's tail"

"You're drunk. Go home."

And you're a cowardly barkeep who won't take a simple bar bet."

Well, that little provocation did it and he measured both. The barkeep started to sweat when the guy got measured, cuz he was long, but the cat won, 11 inches to 9.

"Okay, pay up and get out you drunk idiot."

"Wait. You didn't do it right. Equal measures!"

"What in hell are you talking about?"

Well, where'd you start measuring the cat?

/end hijack

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
rotflmao :rolllaugh:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the way they measure the hands is kinda stupid. When you hold the ball your forefinger is a big part of things, and with hands there are all different types of proportions. There are guys with wide hands but stubby fingers, and that stuff isn't captured by the hand measurements. I'd suspect forefinger length and maybe middle finger have a lot to do with how consistent a spiral you can throw too, so they should probably measure those as well tbh.

Anyway all I care about is how well a QB throws the ball. If the ball flutters often that's a bad deal. It's really what matters, as ball security can be greatly improved simply by having good carry mechanics with both hands on the ball before your release.

Quick release is also important and can counter that as well. If you have good carry mechanics and a quick release your hand size is almost insignificant IMO, provided you throw the ball well consistently.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Allen's masseuse made his hand bigger, LOL. This is the best story ever.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I liked my joke better.

Then again, I knew "hand" massages made your hands bigger, already.

*wink*

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Why are names crossed off?

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
I have 9" hands and can palm a basketball and throw a football. 9" ain't exactly midget hands.