QB hand size matters

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Jared Goff, Christian Hackenberg: Hands measured 9 in. at NFL combine.

Of 21 1st-rd QB since 2008, only Ryan Tannehill had hands that small.

Wentz 10"
Lynch 10" 1/4

Gotta think Cle in that crappy weather would want big mittens

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Hue Jackson has said as much that he prefers big hands on a QB because of the weather in that division.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I mentioned this in another post, Lynch is destined to rise at the combine.

Physically he could be the most impressive QB there. I want to see improvements in his footwork though

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11257/carson-wentz

North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz measured 6-foot-5 1/4 and 237 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine. Wentz also measured in with 10-inch hands, dwarfing the carnie-sized 9-inch mitts of Jared Goff and Christian Hackenberg. (We kid, sorta.) Speaking at the Combine on Wednesday, new Browns coach Hue Jackson didn't hide his affinity for big-bodied quarterbacks with big hands. More so than Goff, Wentz fits Jackson's description. Both should be in play for Cleveland at No. 2 overall.

I looking for the bright side here could this hand size issue with Goff help my team? I understand that would be big deal in the mud cold wet foggy dirty Cleveland ....but what if you needed a QB in the worse way & your team would play 8/16 games in the warm dry sunny clean under roof LA? Then add another 2 games in same type weather of Santa Clara & Phoenix so there's 10 games in ideal weather conditions. Chances are you should get another 2 or 3 games in a dome or in the south too....thus hands size may not be the issue in LA that it might be in Cleveland or New York, Philadelphia, (very cold) Denver, Washington or Buffalo. So that might just cause Goff to drop closer to #15?

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I mentioned this in another post, Lynch is destined to rise at the combine.

Physically he could be the most impressive QB there. I want to see improvements in his footwork though

I see it the same way and have been saying it as well. He is an extremely rare size/athlete combo and has a plus arm. The combine should favor him greatly as scouts and team reps realize how big the guy is and watch him showcase his arm. Bortles was a lesser athlete and nearly as raw, and went 3 overall. There is just no way that dude makes it to 15 because guys with his measurables don't come around very often.

Was talking about this with @jrry32 in another thread, where the hope was both Lynch and Wentz would cement themselves as the top 2 QBs and cause Goff to slide a bit so the Rams can swoop up and take him. Sounds too good to be true for me, but Goff's hand size coming in below the perceived minimum threshold of 9 1/8" might give that whole equation the nudge it needs to happen.

IMO the hand measurement is great news for us.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
One thing this tells us: Unless Wentz does something to change their minds or Goff just dominates the Combine...

Cleveland will go Wentz unless someone trades up to #1 to take Wentz.

I can't see the Rams going to #1. That makes things interesting because if Kelly really wants to stick with Kaep and reload the D, then both Lynch and Goff may head into a freefall as teams at the top get in on the top D talent...

This especially true if any of Hogan, Prescott, Hackenberg or Cook close the gap between them and Lynch and Goff. If they do... I can see the "free fall" start...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I see it the same way and have been saying it as well. He is an extremely rare size/athlete combo and has a plus arm. The combine should favor him greatly as scouts and team reps realize how big the guy is and watch him showcase his arm. Bortles was a lesser athlete and nearly as raw, and went 3 overall. There is just no way that dude makes it to 15 because guys with his measurables don't come around very often.

Was talking about this with @jrry32 in another thread, where the hope was both Lynch and Wentz would cement themselves as the top 2 QBs and cause Goff to slide a bit so the Rams can swoop up and take him. Sounds too good to be true for me, but Goff's hand size coming in below the perceived minimum threshold of 9 1/8" might give that whole equation the nudge it needs to happen.

IMO the hand measurement is great news for us.

The Eagles run a West Coast offense again. They could like either Goff or Lynch. The Rams will still have to move up to be sure they get one. After reading Sneads transcript, I am not so sure they want to move up for a QB.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The Eagles run a West Coast offense again. They could like either Goff or Lynch. The Rams will still have to move up to be sure they get one. After reading Sneads transcript, I am not so sure they want to move up for a QB.
Yep, not looking like we will move up. I don't feel this is a smokescreen. I think there's someone that we really like at #15, and we may be looking in the 2nd for a QB. Just my thought. If Goff fell, however, we'd probably take him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yes, to get either Goff or Lynch they will probably need to move up. Nothing has changed there unless they want to be on pins and needles while the 9ers and then Eagles are on the clock. And moving up to 6 is not something that is too difficult, btw, if the Rams really like one of those three.

As to Snead's comments I don't read into them at all because he's blowin smoke half the time. I'm sure he's going to work the phones to determine cost of the trade possibilities, then compare them to the cost of moving up versus the stress of sitting back at 15. One thing he and Fish have been really good at is forecasting what other teams are going to do. The only time they've been burned is when they got a little too creative and I think the importance of QB and WR to them in this draft will keep them from risking too much.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hand size matters to an extent. Goff might be a little more fumble prone than a guy like Lynch who has massive mitts but I'm not concerned. Plus, Wentz actually fumbles more than Goff does despite having his massive hands.

Regardless, it benefits us if Goff gets pushed down the board. I'm telling you, if we get Goff, we'll be hoisting a Lombardi Trophy in the next decade.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm still not sure how anyone can call this a weak QB class. You have a 6'7" 244 pound QB with a strong arm and mobility that won and produced at Memphis. You have a 6'5" 237 pound QB with a rocket for an arm and mobility that won two national championships in two years starting at the FCS level. You have a 6'4" 215 pound QB with outstanding accuracy that lit up the Pac-12. And you have Connor Cook in addition to those three guys.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Just heard Rob Rang on 980. His opinion is Wentz is going to be the number 1 qb. Wentz then Goff 1a, 1b. Lynch and Cook aren't in the same league, yet. (Paraphrasing)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Small-handed Arkansas QB trying to stretch his fingers before Combine

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 25, 2016, 8:52 AM EST

496174288-e1456408273935.jpg

You know what they say about quarterbacks with small hands — their signing bonuses are smaller.

So in an effort to fix one of the most peculiar and yet meaningful measurements at the Scouting Combine, one prospect is trying to make his hands bigger before the scouts measure them this week.

According to Bruce Feldman of FOX Sports, Arkansas quarterback Brandon Allen has worked with a massage therapist to try to increase the thumb-to-pinkie measurement which some deem as crucial.

“It’s obviously something I can’t control,” Allen said, mentioning the masseuse has tried to stretch his hands twice a week “to maybe get another 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch here or there because the muscles in my hands were really tight and this can loosen them up. I have long fingers.

“It’s worth a shot.”

Yes, that’s right. He’s trying to stretch his fingers so his hands look bigger. Because that matters.

Allen’s hands measured at 8 1/2 inches at the Senior Bowl, the smallest of the quarterbacks there. Usually, anything under 9 inches is viewed with suspicion, as the larger the hand, the easier it is to grip the ball and throw it in windy conditions.

Browns coach Hue Jackson admitted it was something he looked at in a quarterback.

“Oh yes, it does. It does,” Jackson said. “It matters because we play in a division where all of a sudden there’s rain, there’s snow and it’s different. I think guys that have big hands can grip the ball better in those environmental situations and so we’ll look for a guy that fits what we’re looking for in a quarterback and is hand size important? Yes it is.”

Again, it makes for an easy joke, especially when small-handed guys such as Tony Romo (sub-9) have problems with ball control over the years. But the fact that Allen is actually trying to stretch his now shows how important the measurement is.

Even if people think he’s circus folk, and smells like cabbages.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...trying-to-stretch-his-fingers-before-combine/

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Derek Carr measured 9 1/8".

Goff is on the small side, but he's on the edge of acceptable. Hope he drops.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jared Goff, Christian Hackenberg: Hands measured 9 in. at NFL combine.

Of 21 1st-rd QB since 2008, only Ryan Tannehill had hands that small.

Wentz 10"
Lynch 10" 1/4

Gotta think Cle in that crappy weather would want big mittens
at this point, i'm thinking Cleveland would just like to have a healthy, sane, sober QB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've become a huge fan of Allen watching his tape. The guy is going to play in the NFL, and I don't care what size his hands are. He'll be somewhere from long term backup to an excellent starter, very underrated prospect IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm still not sure how anyone can call this a weak QB class. You have a 6'7" 244 pound QB with a strong arm and mobility that won and produced at Memphis. You have a 6'5" 237 pound QB with a rocket for an arm and mobility that won two national championships in two years starting at the FCS level. You have a 6'4" 215 pound QB with outstanding accuracy that lit up the Pac-12. And you have Connor Cook in addition to those three guys.

Agreed, it's nuts how underrated this class is at the top. And the depth of it is ridiculous too. IMO five years from now this will be remembered as a fine QB class and one of the best ever.