QB Fields informs teams he's battling epilepsy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Projected first-round quarterback Justin Fields informed NFL teams this week he is battling epilepsy, a neurological disorder that often causes seizures, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports. Fields shattered several single-season program records with the Buckeyes over his two-year stint in the Big Ten and is widely-regarded as one of the top prospects available in next week's NFL Draft.

"It has not affected football and doctors believe he’ll outgrow it as his other family members have," Rapoport tweeted on Wednesday. "The prognosis from doctors is that Fields should be in the same situation. Fields’ symptoms have shorter and less frequent over the past few years."

ESPN NFL Draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said this week he expects the New England Patriots to be one of the teams in the running for Fields, who has been slotted anywhere from No. 3 overall to just outside of the Top 10.

“They absolutely have to make the move up,” Kiper said to NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah. “This isn't the Tom Brady era. Tom Brady is now a Tampa Bay Buccaneer winning the Super Bowl. You have to get that quarterback, close that gap. DJ talked about Josh Allen’s emergence as a superstar in this league. Tua in Miami and (soon to be) Zach Wilson with the New York Jets. You gotta get out of that cellar in that quarterback situation. If it's Justin Fields, if he slides, go get him. If it's Trey Lance, go get him. Mac Jones, go get him. Whoever that third quarterback is you have a chance to go up and get. If that third quarterback becomes, say, (Mac) Jones, two of them are gonna land.

“You know three are gone, two are probably going to be there if Atlanta passes on one. I think DJ, you have to be aggressive. I projected a trade from 15 to seven with the Detroit Lions...if it's Justin Fields, you can go up to seven, or a Trey Lance or a Mac Jones. Figure out which one you love the most and go get him.”

In a recent interview with The Mercury News, Steve Mariucci, the 49ers’ fourth-winningest coach (57-39 from 1997-2002), said he thinks the 49ers should draft Fields with the No. 3 overall pick. Mariucci was also Fields’ coach during the 2018 Under Armour All-American Game.

“If you want to take a little chance and have a sensational athlete, it’s Justin Fields,” Mariucci said. “He’s a rare athletic quarterback, plus he’s a heck of a passer. He’s big enough, strong enough, terrific runner. He is more of a passing quarterback, that can run like crazy. He’s so strong in the pocket and played sensational games.

4COMMENTS
“He just doesn’t have the consistency of others. That’s OK. He transferred from Georgia, was going through the pandemic last year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So how did this not come out before. Or did the teams already know about it I wonder.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It probably would have come out during the Combine, but I'm sure Fields wanted to get it out there to avoid having someone drop the dime on him the day before the draft and then have it look like he was hiding a severe, potentially red flag issue.

Some kids do grow out of certain illnesses... like epilepsy, asthma, etc. It happens.

But yeah, some teams will take issue with it and others won't.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Just seems weird to me that this hasn't been reported yet. I would think if all the teams knew about it we would have heard rumors coming out far before now.

Or maybe teams are just that tight lipped. Idk but it strikes me as kind of strange.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I dunno. Could be kinda like the Michael Sam thing... where most of the Mizzou campus knew he was gay, but most of the NFL football fans and teams did not.

Also, according to Fields and his agent, it has not affected his football.

And he must have gotten some kind of clearance to be able to play Div I NCAA football, so...

I think it's a preemptory announcement to ensure as one of the potentially top QBs taken that he's giving enough time to not be submarined by an opposing Agent or team who wants him to fall.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I doubt it hurts his draft position any.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s a known family issue that others have grown out of and never had an issue. He’s to my recollection also never had an issue playing football. I doubt this hurts him.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If this drops him, he'll be a steal, much like Alan Faneca was when he was dropped for epilepsy.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I guess laremy tunsil should have warned the league he had an affinity for wearing gas masks and filling them up with weed smoke.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That sucks for him. I don’t know much about him, just seems to be a horrible obstacle for this young man. Now I hope he rocks it for an AFC team!

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Sometime this condition is caused by a scar on the brain and that is something that you don't grow out of. With the proper medication it can be kept under control. However, this could cause him to fall in the draft and end up being picked up by a middle of the pack team.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree.
Epilepsy can be treaded with meds.
"With the 57th Pick of the 2021 NFL Draft, the Los Angeles Rams select Justin Fields from THE Ohio State University."

SONOFA! Wut about Quinn Meinerz!!!!!! ~ @CGI_Ram

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
What's the over/under on the number of times this is mentioned next week?

fearsomefour

Legend
I would imagine teams knew of this before and it was leaked by some shithead with an agenda.
Trying to manipulate picks or positions.....really crappy to do.
There is no reason this should have been leaked to the public.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
As someone with a TBI that has a seizure disorder, I have a personal insight into this.

If he’s not having headaches/migraines, then his prognosis is good although he’s just at greater risk of a Grand Mal seizure from a direct head shot.

If he’s self-medicating with OTC/CBD meds (non-THC of course) then it could be more of an issue, but he’s right to disclose it.

Hopefully he does grow out of it. Seems like a good kid.