Punter Options for Our Los Angeles Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, now that the Los Angeles Rams have released the best Punter in their History plus a great leader in Johnny Hekker, we have to look at the options out there as to who is available and the cost. I will illustrate two current free agents and two possible draft selections as one would surmise the new Punter might also have to have the ability to hold, although a backup QB like Wolford or Perkins might be able to handle that too, but keep in mind, that is also an important trait as to the continue success of Matt Gay.

1. Corey Bojorquez (GB).... Bojorquez is obvious and although he was close to beating Hekker out in preseason of 2021, ended up getting traded and Hekker IMO, out kicked Bojo where it counted in Net Yards plus kicks inside the 20. Also some Packer fans believe that the slide of place kicker Mason Crosby was because Bojorquez was not very good at holding the football, getting it turned around with the laces pointing toward the uprights. Overall, although Bojorquez's average was good, he had a blocked punt against San Francisco and although maybe not his fault is no longer in Green Bay and it's because of his price tag and although will be cheaper then Hekker, might be out of the Rams range now too.
  2. Riley Dixon (NYG)... Dixon was drafted by Rams Special Teams Coach Joe DeCamillis when he was in Denver back in 2016. Dixon has had a solid career with the Broncos and most recently the New York Giants. Dixon also has kickoff experience and was a place kicker for Syracuse. One of the advanteges of Dixon over Bojorquez is his net average and punt placement plus Dixon is an extraordinary holder as the Giants kicker Graham Gano is one of the best kickers in the NFL so Dixon did play a role in that success. Dixon also has attempted 3 career passes in the NFL completing 1-3 for 16 yards.
  3. Matt Araiza (Rookie San Diego State)...I have a feeling this is where the Rams are going just because of expense & location. Araiza has a big leg, however, has to work on his placement and consistently. Araiza also did the place kicking for the Aztecs and is rated as the top punter in this draft class. Some rate him as boom or bust, but he has a great leg, however, being the place kicker, not sure how he would do as a holder for Gay.
  4. Jordan Stout (Rookie Penn State)... Stout seems more like the Rams type of punter as he has a higher floor then Araiza. Stout does not boom as many punts, but he's very good with net return yardage and pinning the opponents inside the 20. Stout is also built similar to Hekker, long and lengthily. Stout also was the Nittany Lions place kicker so we don't know how he would preform as a holder, but seems like a good athlete and might be a tad more reliable then Araiza from the outset, but Araiza might overtake him because of leg strength.
In the end I really believe the Rams because of cost go draft, it will save them about $300,000 or so, but again because of wanting to ensure there are no hiccups, maybe one of the veteran free agents might be worth the extra too.

oldnotdead

Legend
I mentioned Matt Araiza as a potential option. He can also place kick as a backup. His big leg can flip field position. He needs work on his inside the 20 placement but that is coachable. I think since all their 6th round picks are at the bottom of the round (comp picks) I can see them taking him in the 5th since it's at the bottom of that round, and bring in a UDFA to compete. If they want to play field position then Araiza is their guy. He's had 2 80 yard punts with most of the yardage in the air.

Field position is important more so than inconsistency with kicks inside the 20. Getting them out of a hole and flipping field position could win games. Holding is practice and more practice.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Good post. Totally forgot about the punter concern. I guess they're people too [/blue font].

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
At least two mocks out right now with Araiza going in the 5'th round, ... will the Rams be willing to go that high ?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Give me Stoudt all day. Every time he has to punt we can drink one.
You would know Stout better then all of us and I do believe they can get Stout at the bottom of the 6th, plus his placements and on his highlights did complete one pass. I wonder who they take if both Araiza & Stout are available, not debating Araiza's athleticism, but Stout seems to be more Hekkeresque.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You would know Stout better then all of us and I do believe they can get Stout at the bottom of the 6th, plus his placements and on his highlights did complete one pass. I wonder who they take if both Araiza & Stout are available, not debating Araiza's athleticism, but Stout seems to be more Hekkeresque.
Stoudt would be a great pick. But would the Rams use a pick on a punter or sign one as an UDFA?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Stoudt would be a great pick. But would the Rams use a pick on a punter or sign one as an UDFA?
He’s a guy that touches the ball a lot, as punter and holder. A good punter is the occasional difference maker. That’s worth a pick, to ensure you get the right guy - if you need to.