Pulmonary Function Test

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Has anyone personally taken one?

Okay, so about four years ago, I get a call from a friend who happens to be a Marine. During our brief conversation we found that we were at the exact same stop light and he was, in fact, two cars ahead of me. So we pull into the nearest parking lot and grab some Carl's Jr. While eating I asked him his honest opinion of the Marines and everything he described made me want to sign up with them. I always figured I would serve our country, its in my blood...seriously lol. My dad was an Army Ranger and my brother was a Spec Ops diver in the Navy. So, I asked him if he would go into the recruiters office and basically call out their bluffs, he said he would. We went in and the recruiter I got hated being a recruiter. He had to take recruiting duty so he can live here in Oxnard. (Had a kid on the way and the wife wanted to be near family) Basically, my recruiter was not telling me lies. So, I go to MEPS, take my pee test, and blood test...the physical is where I messed up. I told them I had asthma as a child (which I planned on lying about) and I instantly got flagged. My recruiter told me that now I had to get a P.F.T. test to test my lung capacity...Unfortunately, I had no insurance, a job that gave me very little hours, and my family was going through a tough time so I didn't even bother to ask for help. He told me I could possibly wait 2 years and try again. I did. During the 2 years he kept in touch up until he got stationed in North Carolina. My new recruiter basically didn't care at all, so, I did what any 20 year old would do, gave him the finger and started a band lol. Finally, 2 years goes by and the Navy called my house...basically I'm still flagged but now I have this P.F.T. test coming soon and if I pass I can join. I want to practice for it, but I don't think that's possible. To make a long story even longer, does anybody have any knowledge about them?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, I had one of those a long time ago as part of a series of tests. I'm not sure that there's any way you can train for it. Maybe some herbal supplements to increase blood flow, or pleurisy root to help clear your lungs and dilate the capillaries. Don't do that just because I said to though. Talk to a doctor or herbalist first.

bluecoconuts

Legend
When I was in the Army I had friend's who took it (two of them to be exact), but honestly I have no idea what the test is about. I know one of them was my squad leader, and afterwords they gave him an inhaler, but he was able to stay in. He hardly used it, but he did bring it with him when we went on runs and during PT tests.

My other buddy also got an inhaler, but was going to be booted out because he failed one of his runs on a PT test (and in a Ranger Battalion, that's a big no-no), but right before they did, they gave him one last test and he passed. So instead of a medical discharge for asthma, they stuck him in HQ and he rarely ever went on missions, and they were short ones. Didn't want to risk it I guess. However, that might mean that you can get different scores and still be okay to serve, but don't take my word on that.

I have no idea how to prepare for one though, you'd probably have to ask a doctor. I probably wouldn't have said anything to them in the first place though, it can be a tricky thing. If one branch says no, you might be able to join a (usually) less physical branch, like the Air Force. Depending on the job of course, you wont be able to be a PJ or anything. Good luck either way.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
QuantumOfSalas said:
Has anyone personally taken one?

Okay, so about four years ago, I get a call from a friend who happens to be a Marine. During our brief conversation we found that we were at the exact same stop light and he was, in fact, two cars ahead of me. So we pull into the nearest parking lot and grab some Carl's Jr. While eating I asked him his honest opinion of the Marines and everything he described made me want to sign up with them. I always figured I would serve our country, its in my blood...seriously lol. My dad was an Army Ranger and my brother was a Spec Ops diver in the Navy. So, I asked him if he would go into the recruiters office and basically call out their bluffs, he said he would. We went in and the recruiter I got hated being a recruiter. He had to take recruiting duty so he can live here in Oxnard. (Had a kid on the way and the wife wanted to be near family) Basically, my recruiter was not telling me lies. So, I go to MEPS, take my pee test, and blood test...the physical is where I messed up. I told them I had asthma as a child (which I planned on lying about) and I instantly got flagged. My recruiter told me that now I had to get a P.F.T. test to test my lung capacity...Unfortunately, I had no insurance, a job that gave me very little hours, and my family was going through a tough time so I didn't even bother to ask for help. He told me I could possibly wait 2 years and try again. I did. During the 2 years he kept in touch up until he got stationed in North Carolina. My new recruiter basically didn't care at all, so, I did what any 20 year old would do, gave him the finger and started a band lol. Finally, 2 years goes by and the Navy called my house...basically I'm still flagged but now I have this P.F.T. test coming soon and if I pass I can join. I want to practice for it, but I don't think that's possible. To make a long story even longer, does anybody have any knowledge about them?

You really can't practice a PFT. A PFT is just a test that measures your lung volume and your ability to move air in and out of your lungs. Illnesses like asthma effect the ability to move air out of your lungs by trapping it. Many times they'll measure it first without Albuterol and then give you some Albuterol to see if there's a difference. Sometimes they'll make you inhale a chemical that could provoke an asthma attack to see how it effects you.

I'm not sure what the cut off will be for the military. Some kids outgrow asthma, and the PFT may not show anything anyway. Even if it does show evidence of asthma they might just say it's OK, but you have to go on Albuterol, and may not allow you to go into an area of special forces. But I'm not really sure what their policy is.

In either case, good luck.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys. Just wishful thinking. Like I said, I haven't had an issue with it in years. Last year I went through a JC off season football conditioning program with no problems. Hopefully I pass. Thanks again!

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Just an update for anyone who cared.

I took the P.F.T. test yesterday. I was nervous because when I set up the doctors appointment it was supposed be be just a physical then a referral for the P.F.T. Then they sneak attacked me and brought in the machine lol. So I took the test and waited for the results for what seemed like an eternity. Finally, when the doctor came in with the results, he sat down, gave me a weird look and says, "Are you sure you have ever had asthma? Your results completely normal."

Talk about a weight being lifted off your shoulders. Now I just have to have the Navy doctors give me the okay and I'm gone!

bluecoconuts

Legend
Great news man, glad to hear you came out normal. What are you going to do in the Navy anyway? Have you already been to MEPS to take the ASVAB or no?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
WoOoOoT! :wootwoot:

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
bluecoconuts said:
Great news man, glad to hear you came out normal. What are you going to do in the Navy anyway? Have you already been to MEPS to take the ASVAB or no?

I have. It was about three years ago so I'm going do have to retake the ASVAB. I'm not sure what jobs will be open to me but if nothing cooler comes out I want to do some sort of job on a submarines. Those things fascinate me.

bluecoconuts

Legend
QuantumOfSalas said:
bluecoconuts said:

I have. It was about three years ago so I'm going do have to retake the ASVAB. I'm not sure what jobs will be open to me but if nothing cooler comes out I want to do some sort of job on a submarines. Those things fascinate me.

My grandfather was a sonar tech, but he was on a Destroyer. I think he did some sort of Sub training, but this was a very long time ago, so I can't say for sure what he did. Working on a sub would be very interesting though. My grandfather used to always tell me that he switched from the Army (WWII) to the Navy (Korea) because he wanted "3 hots and a flop"... Basically 3 hot meals and a bunk to sleep in at night. I don't blame him either, because sleeping in dirt gets old real fast. :lol:

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
bluecoconuts said:
QuantumOfSalas said:
bluecoconuts said:

My grandfather was a sonar tech, but he was on a Destroyer. I think he did some sort of Sub training, but this was a very long time ago, so I can't say for sure what he did. Working on a sub would be very interesting though. My grandfather used to always tell me that he switched from the Army (WWII) to the Navy (Korea) because he wanted "3 hots and a flop"... Basically 3 hot meals and a bunk to sleep in at night. I don't blame him either, because sleeping in dirt gets old real fast. :lol:

Yeah, I really think I would enjoy the survival training that the Army of Marines teaches and guns are fun to shoot but I think the Navy sets you up with a better chance for a career after the military. I have way too many friends that are getting out of the Marines/Army and not being able to find a job.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
QuantumOfSalas said:

I took the P.F.T. test yesterday. I was nervous because when I set up the doctors appointment it was supposed be be just a physical then a referral for the P.F.T. Then they sneak attacked me and brought in the machine lol. So I took the test and waited for the results for what seemed like an eternity. Finally, when the doctor came in with the results, he sat down, gave me a weird look and says, "Are you sure you have ever had asthma? Your results completely normal."

Talk about a weight being lifted off your shoulders. Now I just have to have the Navy doctors give me the okay and I'm gone!
Glad to hear it.

Good luck in the military and god bless.

superfan24

Starter
brokeu91 said:
QuantumOfSalas said:

Glad to hear it.

Good luck in the military and god bless.

Ditto keep us updated.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Congrats on passing the PFT. I hate those things. Makes you feel like you are going to pass out and I think many do. Don't worry about what job you end up doing. A buddy of mine was a plumber and I was an aircraft mechanic so I figured I had the better job but ends up he falls into a Roto Rooter ownership and has branched out as a part owner in another related company and now knocks back $300K while I work shift work for less than a third of that! Just make sure you take advantage of any chances to take college classes while you're in and you will be ahead of the game. Good luck and THANKS!